No More Soggy Logbooks?

Stuey

I've just bought an A6 pad of waterproof paper (www.web-tex.co.uk: similar products by other manufacturers are available!).

I've just tested it in the sink and it is great. I have written on it in pencil and biro, and plunged it in the sink. The writing stays on the page, and can't even get rubbed off, let alone smudged off!

Has anyone else used this, and if so, is there any drawback to this stuff? It looks good at the moment, but I'll know after a while of one being placed out "in the wild" within a few months.

(EDIT to put in link)

Edited by Stuey

This reminds me that NASA spent more than $12,000,000 in the 1960's researching and developing a pen that would work upside down and in zer gravity conditions. The Russians used a pencil!!!

At £2.95 have you tried a ziploc plastic bag to put it in, which would save you about £2.80.

It looks classy though, I'll give you that! :D

This reminds me that NASA spent more than $12,000,000 in the 1960's researching and developing a pen that would work upside down and in zer gravity conditions. The Russians used a pencil!!!

At £2.95 have you tried a ziploc plastic bag to put it in, which would save you about £2.80.

I think what Stuey's idea is, is to have paper that will withstand a very harsh location, I would not think he would use it in a location where weather / water abuse is negligible. But then I could be wrong

Moote

I've got a couple of micros out in Exeter that are in magnetic key holders. The books are in ziplock bags. The books are wet.

Let's be honest, how many times have you found caches where the zip-log bag that is there to keep the logbook dry has been left un-zipped? Loads I bet?

So... this stuff is really neat. I can get two books worth out of each book anyway, so it's cheap for peace of mind of having a ruined logbook.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I've used this sort of paper lots for field surveying - it comes in Yellow books called Chartwell. I've used it in extremely heavy rain, and doesn't disintegrate at all.

When it's wet, writing on it with a pencil makes the lines a bit fainter, and biro can be a bit difficult to get to write on it (the ball slips on the water and doesn't put the ink down properly). Space pen works well. Felt tip would leach all over the place. (Those observations are with the paper sopping wet, if it was just damp or mildly moist, I expect the biro would work better, but the felt tip would still leach)

Hope this helps.

I've just bought an A6 pad of waterproof paper (www.web-tex.co.uk: similar products by other manufacturers are available!).

{snip}

Has anyone else used this, and if so, is there any drawback to this stuff? It looks good at the moment, but I'll know after a while of one being placed out "in the wild" within a few months.

How did it get on?

It's been great! The only problems I have had are:

• when the pencil goes missing from a micro, and people try to write on the wet waterproof paper with a biro. It sorta works, but you end up getting the pages engraved rather than written on when that happens. HB and softer pencils work fine, even when it is saturated.
  • when the staple gets rusty it doesn't look as nice :laughing:

I have put a few of these out now, and have had generally good responses from other cachers. Thanks for finding the thread!