How Can I Improve My Cache Finding Skills?

Highpointer

Why is it that I am a geocacher with over 1,700 cache findings, yet I experience difficulty finding some caches? There are some caches that I am unable to find at all and I have to log a "No Find". Other geocachers, even some geocachers with a very small number of findings, find some caches that I am unable to find. Often they write log comments such as "easy cache," "found it easily," or "quick find," which frustrates me even more and makes me feel embarrassed that I am unable to find the cache.

Therefore, what can I do to improve my geocaching finding skills? I do not like to leave any caches unfound, and I know that many geocachers have higher success rates that I do. My goal is to find every cache that I attempt as long as the cache is not lost.

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

That's the fun of Geocaching. If it was always easy nobody would play it. Every single cache presents it's own set of challenges, and those challenges can change with the slightest things. Weather for example. I know of many caches that are a walk in the park on some days and near impossible to get to on others. Another one depends on how tall you are. If your over 5'10" it's easy, if not, you probably won't find it.

It's variables like these that make the game great. :huh:

Why would you feel embarrassed? That's silly. Nobody is going to find every single cache they look for on the first attempt. Sure, we would like to but it's not going to happen 100% of the time. When I cache with my kids, ages 9 & 11, they often times find the cache first. Even though I'm racking my brains because I can't locate it.

Nothing to be embarrassed about.

-Jeff

nobody finds every cache...nobody...

I noticed that my caching improved when I took my eyes off of the GPS unit to look around for places where I would hide a cache of the size indicated by the listing.

When my GPSr indicates that I'm within 100 feet or so, I pick a point about that far away, in the right direction, and pocket the GPSr so I can focus on the environment.

If all else fails, take hostages and don't give an inch until your demands have been met. :huh:

nfa-jamie

Aw c'mon.....if you KNEW you were going to find EVERY cache you looked for, wouldn't that take some of the fun out of it?

Agreed, if you were to find every cache where is the challenge ?, also, lets not forget alot of this hobby is luck, and some (even newbies) have a knack for noticing things that look even the slightest bit out of place, they also seem to be willing to spend more time looking as they haven't yet been drawn into the numbers game. Some of my best experiences so far in this game have ended in dnf's.

If you're having trouble finding a cache, you should make sure that your GPS is not set to "power saver" mode (in the setup menu on a Garmin) and make sure that WAAS is enabled. Spend some time getting the GPS to zero out on a spot. Hang your backpack or jacket or something there. Now just comb circles around the backpack getting farther and farther away. This works many times.

Try thinking outside of the box. Imagine the most devious thing you could do to a cache hunter in the location your in and try to find that. If hunting a multi and you are looking for numbers, all of which require manipulation to fit into the coords, you're probably not looking for a container or numbers written by the cacher. You're probably looking for something that was already in that location. Things like that can be clues.

If you have a really tough one that you can revisit, try bringing someone who has never cached with you. It's amazing how someone who hasn't been conditioned to look for a particular type of hide can pick out tough hides like nothing.

Lots of great ideas above.

For me, there is one particular cache that I have not been able to locate. I am fairly certain that it is do to my GPSr. The first part, this is a multi, is directly under high power lines. Other caches I have found in this area have given me trouble as well due to these power lines. I know have a newer GPSr and have not taken the time to go back and look again. I have been watching this cache and seen it found, archived, and repaired. I wil find it.

Other caches I could not locate I watched as well. Others found them just fine. I have been back to most of these and found them. Mostly they were just a clever hide that had me fooled at the time. Others I believe were found by aliens at the same time I was looking for them and they had not returned the cache container to its rightful spot yet.

Use the caches you must look for several times as learning tools, there are some cachers out there that are far more clever in hiding things than I am. Like you I hate to lose, but finding a cache that is difficult for me or requires several trips to locate is more memorable than just driving up and signing the log. Reguardless of others opinion on how easy it was.

Enjoy the game, nothing wrong with trying to win everytime. Burt

...make sure that your GPS is not set to "power saver" mode (in the setup menu on a Garmin)

That's interesting. I have not heard of that before. I always have my Legend and Legend C in power saving mode. I notice the Legend C typically gets superior accuracy when they are side by side.

Does power-saving mode decrease the receiving power?

Try thinking outside of the box. Imagine the most devious thing you could do to a cache hunter in the location your in and try to find that. If hunting a multi and you are looking for numbers, all of which require manipulation to fit into the coords, you're probably not looking for a container or numbers written by the cacher. You're probably looking for something that was already in that location. Things like that can be clues.

More often, my DNF's are due to *overthinking* the cache hide. I'll arrive at ground zero, look at the spot where the cache was hidden, think "it can't be that easy" and then search lots of other spots.

When I have trouble, I stop and ask, "If I wanted to hide something here, where would I put it?"

Still, that doesn't always help. On my most recent day of geocaching, I went two for six when hunting in an area known for its evil micros. :lol:

My DNF ratio has gone up over time. You are not alone. A couple of months ago I looked in a Wagon Wheel for a cache. This weekend we went back and my daughter walked up to the same wheel and found it immediatly. I don't know why I didn't see it the first time, but I didn't. More recently the cache is 200' off. Our other local cachers have long since adapted to crappy coordinates (often using them themselves). Meanwhile I'm used to the 40' max error and don't walk out the 200' to find the cache laying on the ground... Then again they will spend an hour looking. I've stopped having fun before then and moved on. On the other hand I can find some of the nastiest hides known to man and if the cache has raked up 20 skunks then I'm in my element and will find it if it's there. Just don't expect me to find that 1/1.

That's the long way to say. You can't escape fate.

Ok, things you can do. First with that many finds you are biased. You know where people hide caches, you know where to look, you know the tricks. It blinds you to what people who don't know these things do. Newbies don't know to put it under the light post and instead it's at the base hidden pefectly by the grass. And so on. It's hard to look through fresh eyes but sometimes that's what it takes. The easiets way to do that is to bring extra eyes with you.

I have not found every cache site and that makes those I do find more rewarding and enjoyable. Also here is a thought........... maybe some people don't / won't log a no find. Sounds like a challenge to go back and succeed next time. I looked for one the last week that was hung inside a chainlink fence post that was missing. Possibly someone didnot get it hung and it dropped to the bottom, who knows. Cache on it only gets more exciting as we invent new more challenging hides. Good Luck. EITS

If you have a really tough one that you can revisit, try bringing someone who has never cached with you.  It's amazing how someone who hasn't been conditioned to look for a particular type of hide can pick out tough hides like nothing.

Here is an example of an easy cache (Amber's Awesome Cache) that I couldn't find during a trip to visit family members in Connecticut. It appears to be a large container and a geocacher with less than 20 finds confirmed that it was in place. I looked for over an hour for this cache and I feel that I looked under every rock and used the description and hint accurately, but I still couldn't find it.

Frankly, I feel that I must be one of the least effective geocachers who has over 1,000 finds. I should never leave an easy cache go unfound.

Is there anyone else who feels the way I do?

Frankly, I feel that I must be one of the least effective geocachers who has over 1,000 finds. I should never leave an easy cache go unfound.

Is there anyone else who feels the way I do?

Well, never having cached with you, I don't really know. But I'll take your word for it. :lol:

We have 1600+ finds (I've still got some to log from Saturday) and 98 DNFs. That = some ratio. Anxiously awaiting the 100 DNF milestone.

I am afraid I fall into the same catagory as many of the 1000+ cache finders. Most of my no finds are 1/1's. Sometimes I think they are muggled, but like Renegade Knight says more often it is because we have found enough that we have already formed an idea in our pointy heads about where it should be and that is where we look, overlooking the obvious place.

I've failed to find one a couple of times that others found easily. I just realized that I'm looking for the wrong kind of container! The cache has the word "Mini" in the title but it is actually a "Small" cache. No wonder I can't find the thing. I'm looking for a little bitty item so I'm looking in places where a Small can't possibly fit. D'Oh!

Just think of the warm fuzzy your DNF gives the cache owner when they see a veteran is having trouble with the cache. [Edit: when they know its still there. :)]

Or the warm fuzzy you give the newbie that happens to luck out or think it through from a different angle and gets it when a veteran DNF'd it.

Both of those are great ways to give back to the geocaching community. :)

Edited by mini cacher

Actually, I doubt the cache owner gets a warm fuzzy from a DNF of his easy cache by an experienced cacher. More likely, the cache owner is a tad worried that the cache is gone, or at least moved. Now the novice finder who comes along and finds it after you DNF it. Oh yes, they are happy. Making them happy is part of why I log all my DNFs. That, and that they can't help but try to help you find it. The wonderfulness of knowing something you don't! Trust me, show up at an event and that finder is dieing to tell you something about that hide. :) And I'm all ears.

I don't have 1000+ finds... heck, don't even have over 100 yet :)

But something I do when I can't find it.. I alot myself a certain amount of time ... if I can't find a micro in 30 minutes, usually by that time I'm getting a wee bit frustrated so.. I simply get back in the car and head to the next cache on the list.

I don't go back to the one I didn't find on the same day. I tuck the paper away and plan my next outing with it on the list.

I have had 3 no finds (or something like that) and simply going back seems to refresh myself and we find it.

Really hate DNFs! 71 of them (with 613 finds). Okay, some of them I've logged more than one DNF on. (Okay, there were a few more that I did not log...) Then I go home, and read through the logs. Sometimes that helps. Ten of them were definitely not there, and have been archived since. (That's not a good average!) Six or eight were missing, and have been replaced. One had not been placed yet. Four were vacation caches that I won't get back to. Twenty nine I have found on return visits. Some were nasty caches. Needle in haystack, or bison tube in prickly evergreen is a small park with police nearby, or ammo can in a boulder field. Sometimes, I miss easy ones found late by newbies. Sometimes, it helps to bring along another cacher with a different perspective. Sometimes it really helps to know how the cacher operates (though that can through you off too.)

Just go back, and wipe that frownie off your record! :unsure:

It seems that the caches that are within an easy walk have several clues to help find them - almost to the point where I don't need my Garmin; and the ones that involve a half day's walk up a mountain have a clue such as "look under a rock" and take an hour or more to locate.

Some caches are placed just to get one placed. Other placements are imaginative, devious and darn-near masochistic.

I have a number of DNFs but I have no idea how many. Is there a way I can find out?

Go to "My Account"; on the top of the list of logs, click on "All Caches", and it will generate a more readable list of anything you logged in reverse order. Easy to find the "frownies" that way. Don't know of any other way...

Thinking out of the box is easy to say, but because that stupid box is there, it’s not so easy to do. Since I’m old and set in my ways, it is nearly impossible, so I rely on the coordinates heavily, and lucky for me, often times, the coordinates are right on.

Having said that, I use a method (sometimes requires an accomplice) that works quite well for me. When I arrive at the red zone, or within 100-200 feet from the coordinates, I stop and try to determine exactly where the cache will be.

Keep in mind that most GPSrs work best when moving at a constant speed (and it seems too, in a straight line). And often times, you can approach the general area of the cache at a steady pace. Then, typically you need to walk off the path through some degree of bush whacking. Because at this time you may have to walk a very irregular route, stepping over and around objects, and often times the canopy may suddenly become more dense, your GPSr becomes confused, thus confusing you.

So, as I approach the cache location, I begin mentally noting the swing of the directional arrow, and the distance to it, and try to spot an identifiable object close to my perceived location of where it should be. If there is nothing there you can identify, or it is over a hill or something, this is where an accomplice is useful (staying on the trail [and allowing your unit to settle and average], you send your helper to a spot as close as you can determine according to your readings).

Just yesterday, I used this method three times in a heavy, but beautiful fall canopy in Morgan-Monroe state forest in Indiana. All three times, using my pointer from the trail, I sent my accomplice directly to the cache location. In each case, the cache was so well hidden that my friend couldn’t see them, even though he was standing within six feet of them.

BTW, I savor my DNFs. B):anibad:

I have a number of DNFs but I have no idea how many. Is there a way I can find out?

I go to 'My Account' then click on 'Geocaches'. On the page that comes up look a couple of lines down where it says 'Show' and click on the 'Didn't Find It'

Edited by jackratt

Here is another example of an easy cache that I couldn't find during a trip to Ireland. The cache Ninestar006 in Killarney was "inside big dead tree stump, on right riverbank, between two bridges (visible from cache location)," according to the cache hint. There was only one stump that fit this description. I looked throughout the entire stump during my two visits to this location but I couldn't find the cache. I thought the cache had to be missing.

However, after I returned to the USA, another geocacher found it. Therefore, why couldn't I find this cache? This is especially disappointing to me because this was a cache in Ireland that I particularly wanted to find. I also had travel bugs with me, and I wanted to leave one in this cache. Since this cache is far from my home, I will probably never return to this location again.

Geocachers, please give me advice to help me avoid recording more no-finds like this one. I don't understand how I could look in the exact location described in the hint and could not find the cache. In this case, I was at the exact location where the cache was hidden, but I could not identify the cache in its obvious hiding location.

Edited by Highpointer

Highpointer, same thing happened to me in Grand Cayman Island. Couldn't find the darn thing when I was sure I was on top of it and I knew I'd never be back. Sure enough, someone found the thing after I looked and looked. (Less than a year later a hurricane devastated the island and all but one cache was left. Guess which one.)

When I am getting frustrated and can't find one now, I turn off my Garmin, sit down and "think like a geocacher". That's what I would tell my students when I taught a geocacheing class, too. Trust the force. . .