Geocaching And Gasoline

Polgara

Just wondrin,

if there are any geocachers that have tried one of those vegetable fuel systems?

You're clearly a ways off from executing this plan. A grease car must have a diesel engine, so gasoline never enters into the picture. For more info on fueling a vehicle with veggie oil, visit www.biodieselnow.com

Just wondrin,

if there are any geocachers that have tried one of those vegetable fuel systems?

You're clearly a ways off from executing this plan. A grease car must have a diesel engine, so gasoline never enters into the picture. For more info on fueling a vehicle with veggie oil, visit www.biodieselnow.com

Noooo, i'm not considering it for me, i don't own a diesel. I was just wondrin if any one else out there utilizes this.

I watched a documentary on alternative fuels. Some kids from the northeast bilt an engine to run on veggie oil. They documented the run across America. I think they re-built the engine like 7x. The smell was like potatoes cooking. :laughing:

One thing I think has helped our area here, a less than target rich environment, is for more locals to put out more caches. Once you get to around 50 finds, you're pretty much going on the road for caches.

:lol:

One thing I think has helped our area here, a less than target rich environment, is for more locals to put out more caches. Once you get to around 50 finds, you're pretty much going on the road for caches.

:lol:

Not around my area. But then again my current finds are pretty dispersed, largely on purpose. :laughing:

Finding an oil source is the first step to your petroleum independence.

This is from the greasecar site Pablo Mac linked to. Is it me or has oil stopped being classified as a petroleum product?

I think the point is that you're supposed find a source of oil (vegetable, hemp, etc) other than petroleum oil. Petroleum being oil which is mined/pumped from the ground.

I saw some dude on the news who made his car into a wood burning car, the flammable gases the wood releases when it burns run the car.

VW had a car that did this right before we defeated the Nazis...hard to believe but its nothing new...they also produced gasoline from coal which is something I wish our country would do..we have enough coal to sustain us for 75-100 years more if we made gasoline out of it...

I saw some dude on the news who made his car into a wood burning car, the flammable gases the wood releases when it burns run the car.

VW had a car that did this right before we defeated the Nazis...hard to believe but its nothing new...they also produced gasoline from coal which is something I wish our country would do..we have enough coal to sustain us for 75-100 years more if we made gasoline out of it...

And every train that passes through Colorado Springs is full of it

The big problem with this idea of biodiesel is that with all the resurants in the USA. they would not produce enough waste oil to even make a small dent in the daily fuel need. It works but is not practicle.

I think it is totally practical. Its just not scalable. To which my argument is that it doesn't have to be scalable. Personally, I'm not trying to save the world. I'm only interested in my finances.

If I had a little money to dump into a project like this, I think I would buy an old 190D and try it out.

Personally I think E85 would make a 'good' alternate. Its similar to current gasoline fuels so you would think existing production/blending, distribution markets, and even auto maintaince facilities wouldn't need major changes.

ethanol. Also a plus, some vehicles are already on the roads can run the fuel now. FFVs have apperently been in production since like 97/98!

Course ethanol production need to be boosted if "everyone" switched, but oh well.

(and No I don't have Flexible Fuel Vehicle, but it seems more doable than finding a hydrogen car, or getting my maniac to learn how to fix electric motors)

edit: had to fix link

Edited by welch
...hard to believe but its nothing new...they also produced gasoline from coal which is something I wish our country would do..we have enough coal to sustain us for 75-100 years more if we made gasoline out of it...

Actually, Wyoming, Colorado and Montana have enough crude oil locked in Oil Shale to keep us going for a lot longer than that. I have heard since the early 70's that those 3 states have more in Oil shale than the Persian Gulf has Oil by a factor of 4!!!!! Heck they even tried blasting off an Atomic Bomb near Rifle Colorado in hopes of compressing the shale and squeezaing oil out - way underground. Limited success. New technology makes it easier to get the oil out.

The bad news is that we would have to be willing to pay around $2.75 a gallon to make it feasible to extract.......wait a minute!!! -----> we are there!! Time to build the processing facilities.

The big problem with this idea of biodiesel is that with all the resurants in the USA. they would not produce enough waste oil to even make a small dent in the daily fuel need. It works but is not practicle.

It is just another idea that will not work like Hydrogen fulled cars and electric cars

there is no problem with biodiesel at all. in fact the first diesel was made to run on peanut oil. the only reason it didnt take off was diesel fuel was always much cheaper than peanut oil. were now enetring the days when thats not so true. and if all waste cooking oil was turned to biodiesel it would make a significant difference in more areas than just fuel savings. not for most commuter cars, but think of it this way.

biodiesel can be made for less than $1 a gallon. most home brewers end up with a price of about $0.75 a gallon to make it themselves. if all the big rigs driving on our roads ran on biodiesel of even a mix of bio and petro diesel, the costs totransport goods would go down and not go up along with crude prices.

not to mention, think of all the pollution it would cut down on. big rigs spew rediculous amounts of pollution into the air every year. it would be greatly reduced running on biodiesel. not to mention its renewable. no matter how much we have, crude will be gone sooner or later. we can always produce more veggie oil.

it could never be used as our main fuel. but it is a very good alternative for some niches in our fuel consumption. and if it were widely used, it would be a very good thing for all of us. and contrary to what you say, it is very practical for many things. maybe not for you, but in the big picture its very practical.

im also curious of why you think hydrogen will not work? and electric cars? maybe youre just a natural pesimist.

no, none of them will replace gasoline all by themselves. and looking for something to do that isnt the answer. but using them all in the areas where they are very practical for use will help cut down on gasoline usage A LOT. electric vehicles for quick in town commutes of 100 miles or less, biodiesel mixes running all the tarc busses and big rigs. and making all the other cars run on E85. we could decrease of reliance on gasoline significantly

When all is said and done I think we will see a mix of fuels and motors. For short commutes solar powered electric would work fine. For longer maybe alcahol and diesel. Hydrogen has potential for short trips. Renewable fuel cells have potential. Drop the old cell off at the station plop in the new one and away you go. As gas prices go higher I think there is room for a lot of solutions. It may actually vary by area as to what's popular.

Polgara 

Posted: Aug 25 2005, 05:19 PM

Just wondrin,

My 2001 Taurus has the "green leaf" emblem which means it is designed to burn either ethanol or regular fuel. With the current crisis I may have to investigate further into it, but up until now the advantage has been only environmental and not economical. :laughing:

Polgara 

Posted: Aug 25 2005, 05:19 PM

Just wondrin,

My 2001 Taurus has the "green leaf" emblem which means it is designed to burn either ethanol or regular fuel. With the current crisis I may have to investigate further into it, but up until now the advantage has been only environmental and not economical. :laughing:

try to find a gas station in your area that sells E85 gasoline. its $2.16 in my area. for those who can use it, its great ;)