If The Smithsonian Had A Geocache Collection

Touchstone

That erstwhile American institution seems to have just about everything (Dorothy's ruby slippers, Howdy Doody, etc.), it seems inevitable that someday Geocaching will make the grade and be included. What would you put in the collection.

A couple of obvious pieces that I thought of are The Original Can of Beans (OCB) TB, which is in the hands of Team 360.

The other would be the original Stash container (if it still exists somewhere).

Edited by Touchstone

That's a good question and I agree the first container and it's contents if possible along with the first Moun10bike coin.

They should collect Mojo but...it wouldn't be practicle to diplay it all, so that leaves the mojo of signifiacn't people in the hobby and that's a hard line to draw. Plus there were significant events that happend when the community stepped up to the plate.

Other things. The first GPS given to a person out of a forum discusson. The first computer to hold the first listing site. The first honest to goodness hitchiker. The first moving cache. The meeting minutes from the meeting that led to the NPS banning Geocaching. The remains of the first cache blown up by the bomb squad. To name a couple of items.

This topic pertains to Geocaching. The Off-Topic Forum is only for topics that do not pertain to geocaching. I've moved it to Geocaching Topics before it goes off-topic

Geez, where have I been? How long ago did you become a Smurfy Forum Mod? B)

BTW, I have a TB out there that wants to visit you, but it's gone a bit further east than it should have before going South.

... being the Smithsonian, maybe the could arrange to acqure a decommisioned GPS satellite!!

Don't they just burn up?

I think so,

but wouldn't it be great!

edit:

The space shuttle is capable of bringing staelites back to earth in the cargo bay.

Naturally that will cost around 5 bazzilion dollars, so I think they just leave them up there.

Edited by Joe Smith
Whatever is in it, the entire exhibit should be about 100' away from where it's listed in the Smithsonian's brochure. :(

And be of the wrong size and shape.

Personally i would have it outside the museum requiring visitors to use a gps to find it.

Then they will have an idea of the sport

... being the Smithsonian, maybe the could arrange to acqure a decommisioned GPS satellite!!

Don't they just burn up?

I think so,

but wouldn't it be great!

edit:

The space shuttle is capable of bringing staelites back to earth in the cargo bay.

Naturally that will cost around 5 bazzilion dollars, so I think they just leave them up there.

That's why I wrote "acquire" one of them -- not pick it up from where it falls. Because yes, they would normally burn up on re-entry to the atmosphere. But, being the Smithsonian, I would say they'd have enough pull to have NASA bring one back using the shuttle.

They should collect Mojo but...it wouldn't be practicle to diplay it all, so that leaves the mojo of signifiacn't people in the hobby and that's a hard line to draw.
It would have to have an El Diablo hiking staff. :lol:

El Diablo

If it were to ever happen, I suppose we could donate the Caching Karma stick. It would bring in the mojo/karma and an el diablo stick.