Stay Away From This Geocache

Kermode

Echoing El Diablo and WH on this one--the guidelines indicate that once listed, a cache is open to all. Although MOCs may be an exception, I am surprised that the usually thoughtful C-R would try to equate such a concept with moving. As previously stated, a big difference in cost (and context), plus the issue of public rejection in this case.

And yes, the suggestion of mailing private invitations as an alternative deserves a response as much as any other thoughtful post, not just a dismissal.

That said, I don't believe c2c2c was trying to intentionally offend anyone and I understand the logistics of holding an event where too many show up. However, I've also seen the gc community come to the aid of those hosting to keep things running and bet there are those in the area who would have helped if the number of those planning to attend grew.

The "sock puppet" suggestion to destroy c2c2c caches is a much greater threat to cachers as the desire to harm another's property was intentional. Hopefully just an emotional response, nothing more.

Edited by Teach2Learn
I felt I had to remove it so that people could not post comments that my Children could not read. My whole family reads the web page.

My goal wasn't for you to archive your event, it was to stop selective practices. I don't like people in general being denied a chance to participate in what should be an event for anyone that wanted to come. I doubt that more than 5 people would have attended outside your area. You received an email and basically resonded to a fellow cacher that he wasn't welcomed. I have a problem with that.

I understand the cost of putting on an event. Down here in the great state of North Carolina when we have an event we pass around a jug for donations. From what I've seen the donations are more than adequate to cover the cost.

Posting a negative post on your event page might have been wrong. I apologize for that. I just want you to realize to path you are leading event caches down. When we start being slective who comes to an event, we open the door to a world best not explored.

El Diablo

...If you are going to hold an event then it should be open to all who wish to attend. I’ve been to events where 50-60 people showed up, and I’ve never heard a complaint about it being too large. Most local event caches will draw very little interest outside the area. Usually if someone from outside the area wishes to attend it’s considered an honor to have them. ...

You are confusing a snobby elitist society black tie, well bred only, invitation only event for 'wow I'm not sure we can accommodate so many people but I sure would like to do this again.'

The cache owner has essentially said as much. There are a number of ways to limit how many can attend an event. One is to define a region. Another is to hold it in a camp ground. There are only so many sites to go around, give short notice and so on. The methods chosen are impersonal. However you are taking it personally.

I don't know if you personally sponsor with time and cash your own events. I also don’t know if you have prizes and so forth. If you did and if your event was a smash success, I give you my personal guarantee that given time as the number of attendees rise either you have to cut back on the things that made your event great or you have to cut back on the numbers attending. Which you do is your choice. When and if you ever reach that point I'll be backing you if you are taking heat for it, just like I chose to back coast2cost2coast.

The only problem here is one that everyone created out of nothing.

I felt I had to remove it so that people could not post comments that my Children could not read. My whole family reads the web page.
Simply delete the offending logs. Its your perogative as a cache owner, IMO.

Edit - spelling

Edited by 9Key
...the guidelines indicate that once listed, a cache is open to all. ...

Some Locatioinless caches do limit the area to that qualifies for a find. There is precident for defiening an area for a cache. I will never do a scuba cache. Most peole won't. The limiting factor is there. I will never do a rock climbing cache unles they mess up and I can climb in that spot. That they exist does't bother me. They are not exclusing me because I'm not a rock climber. It's not personal. They are just trying to do something nice for people they identify with. Same with a local event cache.

What's truly ironic or pathetic, is that Geowoodstalk3 was slammed for opposite reasons. Their efforts to reach everyone with as much advance notice as possible miffed people. Probably some of the same ones in this thread.

Sound points, RK, although open to all, limitations do prevent many from finding some of the cache types you listed. I don't see myself in a wetsuit anytime soon.

IMO, event caches should be open to all willing to travel if listed, but it is admittedly a fine line and I don't think c2c2c's intention was to exclude, just host a fun event for fellow local cachers. Unfortunately, the cache listing may not be the best approach.

What's truly ironic or pathetic, is that Geowoodstalk3 was slammed for opposite reasons. Their efforts to reach everyone with as much advance notice as possible miffed people. Probably some of the same ones in this thread.

Not me. I've given them a complete section in Today's Cacher.

So far I haven't seen anything by C2C as numbers of attendees being a problem.

El Diablo

QUOTE (9Key @ Oct 23 2004, 09:11 PM)

Simply delete the offending logs. Its your preogative as a cache owner, IMO. 

I was away from home all day today. I didn't find out about all this until I got home tonight. My wife told me all about it... What those people wrote on the Web page was inexcusable. I can't be watching it all the time and I should not have to tell my children not to look at that page until I checked it out first... I'm just thankful that one of my children had not read those vile posts.

I have only been to two cache events both well outside my home area. Before I went to each event I emailed the organizer explaining I would be in the area and asking if it was OK to come to the event or was it for local folks only. I just considered it a matter of courtesy.

Both times the cache owner said that I was more than welcome. And at both events went out of their way to make sure I felt welcome.

If they had said they were keeping it to only local cachers then I would not have gone. I look at it like any other cache. The cache owner gets to make the rules. We have seen many times owners allowing or not allowing someone to log a find that may have some kind of unusual circumstances around it. The response is almost always the same – they are the cache owner they get to make those kind of calls. I don’t see an event cache being any different.

What's truly ironic or pathetic, is that Geowoodstalk3 was slammed for opposite reasons.  Their efforts to reach everyone with as much advance notice as possible miffed people.  Probably some of the same ones in this thread.

Not me. I've given them a complete section in Today's Cacher.

So far I haven't seen anything by C2C as numbers of attendees being a problem.

El Diablo

You must of missed this part of their post.

Over the last year I have been asked by old and new cachers to hold another event. The popularity of caching in the Comox valley has grown in leaps and bounds.

The only reason picked the area I did was to limit the number of people at the event. As it is, with The area I chose there could be 40 or so people show up which could lead to up to 100 people showing up! I guess I could of just invited the same people again this year but I wanted to allow the new cachers to come and have a great day also.

Bottom line, they were trying to do what they could, for who they could, with what they had. Not everyone liked how they did it, but it was their choice to make, not the choice of the critics most of whom wouldn't of attended even if they got an engraved invitation.

In regards to rock climbing, scuba or other types of skill caches, they do not restrict logging to a few cachers.

While only a select few possess the necessary skills and/or equipment to log them...all are welcome to try.

If it is listed on the site, than I should have the right to at least attempt to log it. Whether I am successful or not is irrelevant.

As previously discussed within this thread, there are plenty of other avenues to use if one wants a private function for only certain people.

In regards to rock climbing, scuba or other types of skill caches, they do not restrict logging to a few cachers.

While only a select few possess the necessary skills and/or equipment to log them...all are welcome to try.

If it is listed on the site, than I should have the right to at least attempt to log it. Whether I am successful or not is irrelevant....

Skills, Regions, Effort, MOC, are all means to limit who finds your cache. The means of 'discrimination' are completely arbitrary. They are not based on exclusing people. They are based on including specific people. Specificaly, Rock Climbers, or SCUBA, or Members.

If you meet the criteria, and anyone could if they were so inclined on any of these, then you are 'in'.

Chaning tack. Local organizations hold event caches. They are clearly intended for members of that local organization. That exclusion is understood. Were I to show up at a CACHE event and throw my two cents in to how they should do things my reception would be cold to say the least. I have no issue if CACHE did a CACHE event and only members of the CACHE territory were invited.

Various thoughts, and I can't address all of them, so I am picking and choosing. They are also in no particular order:

(1) From what I can tell an event cache that does not solicit or unduly discriminate (which is in its own sense a solicitation) can be listed under the current guidelines.

(2) I can see why a geographical or other restriction is OK, if it is meant to limit numbers in attendance when needed. But if it is meant to specifically exclude certain people then it seems to unduly discriminate.

(3) Before I read the cache owner's response, I wondered why the restriction was in place and felt that it might be too extreme. If meant to limit numbers, maybe it would be best to state that? Also, if the event is aimed for local cachers why not just state that and deal if others showed up? In the alternative maybe explain that that space/expense is limited and ask for RSVPs up to the limit with the idea that locals come first and then the rest on a first come first serve basis?

(4) Some of the notes on the cache page were completely uncalled for. Others were OK, but I think it is best to use the forum instead of the cache page to make views known.

(5) I appreciate that the cache owner came here and gave a view point.

(6) I don't personally like exclusive events, but I can see where they might be OK under the website guidelines. I do hope though that people will try to avoid or explain them.

(7) In the end, this whole thing is likely overblown angst. But that is OK. Forums would be boring without angst!

B)

Edited by carleenp
I'm glad I don't live in the area. I would hate to be associated with such a group that excludes fellow cachers from other areas......

Oh...BTW...I no longer sell hiking staffs to anyone in that area.

El Diablo

Don't take my post personally, but I have a question...it may be off-topic somewhat but after reading the thread, I was a little puzzled by your comments El Diablo. B) From what I read, several in this thread are condemning the event cache owner from being exclusionary by only allowing a certain geographical area to come and "log" the now archived event. I don't know if I see much difference in your actions, since you seem to have been exclusionary by only allowing a certain geographical area to purchase geohiking staffs from you. Far be it from me to tell you how to do business, but to me it doesn't seem right either. Being from "that area", I've seen your work (which is very nice), and maybe others have too that would have considered inquiring about one (a hiking staff) in the future...don't assume everyone here is cut from the same cloth.

Because of the activities we had planed last year (and this year) I can only have so many people attend. Plus we had prizes for everyone that attended. We spent out of our own pocket close to 200 dollars. If I opened it up to everyone I would have no control over how many people showed up and I could not assure the quality of the event, plus I would never be able to collect enough prizes for everyone.

I can see the reasoning for wanting to cap the number, but I dislike the way in which you wanted to do it. Besides not explaining why on the page, you went out of your way to specifically un-invite someone who had been interested. If you want to cap the event at certain level, fine, state on the page that to attend you MUST make a reservation and only XX will be taken. And that people not having made a reservation are expected to not come.

Its harsh, but much better than "If you live west of highways 6, come on over this saturday, if you live east of the highway...jump off a bridge or something, especially you 'guy' from Anytown" B) .

The English language is a powerful thing, word something wrong just once and everything gets blown out of proportion. Do I think people should be excluded because the live outside the 20-30 mile radius? No. We had an event and cachers from 6 states showed up and stayed from 11AM to 5:30 PM with a wind chill below 0°. Everyone brought someting and there was enough to go around for everyone. (word to the wise - some foods freeze at below 0° before they get eaten). How cool is that to know that people traveled from 6 different states just to meet and greet us? Do I think Coast2coast2coast should have archived the event? No! You can still post notes to an archived page, anyway, so that reason is moot. I think this could have been handled a little better by using the cache page, rather than ane-mail to single out one person at a time to disinvite them. If the venue is too small, and doesn't have enough toilet facilities to handle a large crowd, the cache page should have stated this. I really do not believe for a sceond that C2C2C meant to offend anyone at all. C2C2C has probably never even met the cacher that was e-mailed, for all they know they could have ended up best of friends. But we'll never know that now, because the whole thing blew up. The cache page stated: "We would like to invite Cachers and thier families from Campbell River to Naniamo for a get together on the 27th Feb." There is no way to politely tell 'outsiders' not to come. And why would you want to? The only reasoning I can understand why they would restrict it is the size of the venue, and this is what it sounds like to me, it was just handled entirely wrong. I would hope they would still hold their event, and let anyone come. What is it about BC? I hear a lot of complaints coming from up there. I'd like to see someone start a thread on the good things about BC. Just once.

"Be slow to anger, slow to speak."

Good advise, indeed. Point well taken.

My arguments weren't the best. I can see the logic in my mind but it was not a good argument. I just think it hypocritical to think being exclusionary in one way is okay, but in another equally valid way it's not okay.

I think a few people are feeling a little smug about getting the event shut down. I think it unfortunate that the organizers are no longer going forward with it.

While I'm not saying everything associated with the event was done prefectly, we all have to learn how to make a successful event. Each of the SCGA Steering Commitee members are responsible for an event about every other month. We generally team up with a local cacher, sometimes we do not. I know the event that Sissy and I put could have been better, a lot better. We could have done better planning and implementation. I know I made mistakes and will learn from them. (That's not to mention I hate public speaking and absolutely suck at it.)

Here's why putting an event--even one limited to a particualr region--is okay if you're looking for new attendees. Most cachers, I'd say 99.998% of all active cachers even if they are "banned," look at gc.com to hunt caches. If you were to want to get the word out to any cacher in a particular region, an event would do it. It pops up on their nearest list.

Privately emailing won't work unless you know who all of the local cachers are. This would involve looking at each local cache, looking at the profiles of each cacher and guessing whether they actually live in the area. Then you are limited to the number of emails you can send by the site's software. Emailing isn't a viable solution.

Setting up a private website won't work because you have to alert people to the website and you're back in the same boat as emailing. Those not in the know wouldn't know to look at the private site. The idea, I think, was to attract cachers from the area, not cachers "in the know."

While I don't see anything wrong with the concept to the point it should be forbidden, I personally wouldn't have limited it to people who live in the area. I feel, and I think Sissy feels the same way (she's asleep so I can't ask her), we are part of the caching community of just about every place we've cached. We've hit caches from Western North Carolina to past Daytona Beach, Florida. We've talked to, met, had dinner with, or emailed a few cache owners along way. I would be saddened that we would be excluded from an event just because we didn't live there.

Every one of the events we've been to has been open to everyone. A recent event organized by WE4NSC was huge. He specifically invited us, Honeychile, and others to be vendors. It attracted folks from PA to FL and as west as TN that I know of. The food, the company, the conversation, and the camaraderie were all excellent. So, events can draw people from all over. This was a highly successful event and everyone made us feel very welcome.

However, I still see nothing wrong with an event listed on gc.com that is aimed at a small region. It's only a matter of who to include and how.

It's not on the cache page - he just emailed people and told them they weren't welcome.

Very very Tacky. (If it is true he emailed that... not doubting Cache Jordan but I'd love to hear the other side of the story).

southdeltan

The problem with the cache is that someone just out of Nanaimo wanted to attend

I only emailed one person...music-cachers...(and he didn't even live close to the area.) He is the one that started this whole thing.

THANKS FOR TRYING TO RUIN THIS GREAT HOBBY FOR ME AND MY FAMILY we are all disgusted with the way this turned out. We were only trying to do something nice for the cachers in the area who have become our true great friends.

Surely you don't beleive that the intent of these people was to ruin geocaching for you. It is very clear that this was a complete misunderstanding and overreaction by several people. Your cache page didn't mention space being a problem and your email didn't explain why you didn't want non-locals to attend (Ok, I didn't see the WHOLE email, so it may have - but if it didn't explain that it should have).

I'm sure if I recieved that email I would have been upset as well.

A better way to go about this would have been to put a disclaimer on the page stating that space was limited. Mention the number of people that could comfortably be hosted. Mention that the purpose of the event is for the locals to get together (but don't word it so that it seems exclusionary).

If your email wasn't clear, and I'm not really sure if it was or wasn't because it was not quoted in it's entirity, perhaps other wording could have been used. Something along the lines of "Thanks for your interest, but space is extremely limited so you might not want to make flight plans to come to an event where you can't find a seat" or something - I'm not sure what... others here probably could give better suggestions.

Another option would be to email all of the previous attendees (the old geocachers) and other new geocachers you know about with the details - THEN list the cache event one or two weeks before the event - limiting the travel planning time and cutting down on the number of attendants.

Nobody's trying to ruin anything for anybody. It has been, as is often the case, a big misunderstanding.

sd

Edited by southdeltan

I can definitely understand the reasoning behind wanting to limit the number of cachers to attend an event.

Perhaps a better solution would be to state on the event page that the event can only hold x people. The first x people to RSVP will be allowed to attend. So if someone from outside the area sends their RSVP before all the slots are filled, they would be able to come.

Like CoyoteRed, I too have attended Event Caches in states other than my own (I'm based in MS but I've attended Events in AL, LA, and as far away as MN!), and in all cases have been welcomed as a fellow member of the larger "community". The MN folks even singled me out in appreciation that a "traveling cacher" would take the time to want to visit and meet folks in their area, to put faces to the names seen in cache logs.

Personally, I think you should take it as an honor and a compliment that an out-of-area cacher wished to attend your event (and remember, he didn't even HAVE to EMail you ahead of time...he might just have shown up that day when he was in the area...would you have barred him from passing through the door?).

Having said that, as others on this thread have stated, if it was REALLY important to you to limit the attendees to ONLY locals, whether for space/$$$ reasons, and/or for "we really just want to get to know only the locals here better" reasons, you certainly could have used phraseology on your cache page to reflect that desire, as in:

"For this PARTICULAR Event Cache, we wish to limit the number of attendees to the LOCAL cacher population only. We certainly will welcome cachers from all areas to our future Event Caches, so we appreciate your understanding in this case."

I'm sure it could be phrased even more artfully than that, but you get the idea. And guess what, if an out-of-area cacher "crashed the party", I'm sure it would have been just fine with both you and also the other attendees.

Quoting Dennis Miller: Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Perhaps a better solution would be to state on the event page that the event can only hold x people. The first x people to RSVP will be allowed to attend. So if someone from outside the area sends their RSVP before all the slots are filled, they would be able to come.

I agree on this. There's nothing harsh to say that there is room for only so many people. I attended an event in Austria (i.e. in another country, i.e. pretty far from 'my area') and no one objected to it, since I had posted a note on the cache page telling I was going to come. And man, did they make me and my wife feel welcome. B) In fact, now that I think of it, there's been foreign attendees in every (altogether five) events I've attended or hosted. It surely has made the events richer and it concretized the feeling of a truly global hobby.

If the size of the event is an issue, don't close out people based on their origin rather than having them 'check in'.

I think it is a shame that this event was cancelled. There are so many ways as has been stated to limit size without limiting it just to a demographic area. A simple "Space is limited to X umber of people due to location. Please post if you are attending and how many will be attending with you." Then after the number is reached, just post a note that the limit was met and ask that those who did not post a note, please be considerate and not just show up. It would be a nice way to limit it without hurting feelings. It would still be predominately locals that would show up anyway. B)

Boy there sure are some sad, sad people out there. What a discouraging thread to read. I never thought I would see geocachers stoop to that level.

What in the world is wrong with a cache event specific to the north and mid island? I would be willing to bet very large sums of money that the people complaining never had any intention of coming in the first place.

The poster and organizer of that event is a hugely upstanding and very respected cacher in our local community, to see him ripped apart by people that don't even know him is just about as sad a thing as I've seen lately.

I'm very saddened, sickened really, by those posts, it shows a level of maturity far below what I expected.

The cacher that recommended destroying caches is showing the general level of maturity of the negative responses I've seen. I know there are a lot of good people out there in the south island where this seems to have originated, why don't you speak up and show your not all that disrespectful?

The MN folks even singled me out in appreciation that a "traveling cacher" would take the time to want to visit and meet folks in their area, to put faces to the names seen in cache logs.

LOL.... next time you come to one of our events we'll "single you out" <insert evil, twisted grin here>

drat, you or anyone else are always welcome to attend an Alabama event. At our event last weekend we had folks from GA and the Carolinas attend and we felt honored that they were able to visit with us. I hope those from other states that attended our event found us to be very welcoming and fun to hang-out with.

Due to job restraints, I don't get to travel as much as I used to do, but if I ever find myself in a new place where there happens to be an event I certainly hope that the person/group sponsoring the event would let me and my children attend.

This may have been brought up allready and it isnt exactly the same. In the past a person could hide a cache with a number of prizes in it, then the cache could be archived after those prizes were found by the first few lucky people. When it came time for me to try this, i found that this practice was no longer accepted at geocaching.com. The reasoning was that everyone should have a chance to find the cache. I know an Event cache has a few different guidelines but this same reasoning makes this cache not acceptable here on the site.

The Event cache owner did not wish to offend anyone and explained his reasons for not wanting to invite everyone. However, since it is listed on the site, then it should be available for everyone to find.

Also, for those counting numbers, this would not be fair practice. A local few would get to increase their find count easily by one, while others would never even have the chance.

Really its not that big a deal to me, but to keep things in check, a cache that limits who can find/attend shouldnt be approved on the site! Im sure the approver that approved this cache didnt realize it was going to be setup this way in the first place!

Here's what I noticed in this cache, though...

The cache host wanted to limit the number of people because of cost and size. We're talking ONE offended cacher was turned away. Would it really have put the host in the poor house and broken the fire code for that one extra person?

Unless you do an event with a gimmick or some really specific drawing point, opening a cache event to one group of people or to everyone, you're going to get about the same number of people.

Pass the kitty around. Ask everyone to bring a dish and chip in two bucks, and you'll have plenty of money to cover everything and there'll be more than enough food. At my last event, I bought the hot dogs, buns and drinks, and asked everyone to chip in a couple bucks. It covered the cost of what I bought - and the total price of the prize given to the poker run winner.

If you want a small, intimate gathering, you do it by holding the event in the middle of nowhere. I did one that was an hour from Cleveland Ohio and forty minutes from Erie, PA. What resulted was a group of about 15-20 people - and a very intimate gathering where everyone could tell stories together and have fun.

If I had did the event in Erie, for instance, I would have planned for 40+ people.

There are other ways to exclude without being rude about it.

Of course, the flip side of the coin is to just be welcoming to the few stragglers that will manage their way in. After the MTGC meeting, our president thanked every non member for coming and told them if they didn't want to pay dues they were still welcome to attend future meetings.

The cache was archived today, but I wish to voice my opinion.

First off, I was peeved by the original post misspelling "inquire" with "enquire."

(Yes, I've misspelled words before and expect to be corrected.)

I support the owners only because the original webpage does explicitly state who is expected to participate.

All this talk hinting about discrimination is nonsense; it's no more discriminating then your 2-5 star terrain rating caches discriminating against the wheelchair bound. Or, using 5 star difficult caches to keep out the not so bright (like me, I stay away from those 5 star puzzles [<_<]

However, perhaps a better approach to limiting participation was made by Bobthearch: listing that space is limited and make reservations ASAP. That worked here in San Diego, when an event was made at a local pizzeria.

I agree WH. Once it is listed on GC.com, it should be open to all.

It is a shame that this beautiful caching area is getting a bad name over this problem.

First off, I didn't read much of this thread and when I saw where the cache was I wasn't surprised.

I know of what you speak and I just don't understand the politics of it. I have one very good friend from that region and I get the accounts first hand.

They long for the geocaching family atmosphere that exists here in Texas and most of the lower 48. We welcome others from anywhere to all of our events. Heck, we'll throw one for someone who's coming to town.

I personally have never met a cacher that I didn't like and I've met quite a few that I thought were jerks online. I've learned that lesson well and never prejudge.

Personally, I think the antisocial problems in that area come more from low serotonin levels than anything else. Everyone in that area needs time under a sun lamp and a healthy supply of vitamin D. <_< Any other explanation for why this continues to happen in THAT region seems absurd to me.

Question ? ????

Why are we beating a dead horse ? Thought the event had been cancelled and archived . <_<

Yes it has been archived, but for my 2 Cents worth, the best way to handle the event to limit those attending would have been to require those attending to have found say 50 caches in the area rather than living on the area. This would give anyone wanting to attend the event to meet the requirement and would have generated more finds for the owners of the caches in the area.

Events are held all the time, without being listed on Geocaching.com. When six people gather to spend a day hunting caches, it's an "event" but not a geocaching event cache. Such expeditions are planned each and every day via e-mail and posts in the forums, mainly local forums. Not every pizza and beer gathering is listed either.

When I distributed the Yellow Jeep Travel Bugs for my area, I simply posted in a local forum that I would be near such-and-such a cache at 4:00 p.m. with 50 jeeps, and everybody showed up. It didn't really rise to the level of an event cache, but folks stuck around and there was plenty of socializing.

It doesn't always require a smiley to get two or more geocachers in the same place at the same time.

I think its ridiculous that people get all upset about select group participation. Many people belong to an assorted group of clubs, and organizations that have members only events. This is nothing new, nor is it something to get upset about. If someone wants to have a local event and you arent local, you have the option to move!!!

Seriously, I think the issue that needs to be addressed, is how local cachers get informed about these events, not the fact that there are events. A temporary solution is the limited RSVP, that someone else already mentioned. This is not however ideal, as you cant guarantee a spot for local cachers if all the other rsvps are taken.

Maybe through gc.com or our state organizations we could email invitaions to groups within a certain distance from us. Similar to the way we search for geocaches on gc.com.

Just a thought!

Edited by Cache Rabbits
I'm very saddened, sickened really, by those posts, it shows a level of maturity far below what I expected.

You may feel this way, but some people were saddend and sickened by the idea of someone wanting to go to a posted event and being told 'sorry, we don' want your kind'. Many thought that this was an immature and rude way to handle things.

I've read most of the suggestions here on how to deal with the issue of numbers the right way. They all have one thing in common. Someone gets left out.

First it's ok to limit numbers for any number of reasons. Fire marshal, too expensive, wants to keep the crowd at an intimate level etc. For those who espouse 'no limits' that's the limit you just placed on the budget, which isn't viable. Pass the hat may work but the one thing you can count on is that you as the party organizer are 100% responsible. That's a sure thing. How much you get from passing the hat, is an unsure thing. But hey, keep the hat in mind for when you throw your event.

Next on how to limit the numbers. Someone always gets left out. "I'm sorry neighbor, but you didn't RSVP in time, some dude 200 miles away snagged my last slot" isn't better than "I'm sorry but you don't live in the area I'm trying to draw cachers from". Either way the answer is "No" and the reason that answer was given was arbitrary in either case.

Every suggestion on how to do it right is great. Keep it in mind for you’re own cache event. The only bad suggestions I've seen here are the ones suggesting that the cache poster had some ill intent. Every method presented here has a flaw. Lets hope it’s not your event being shredded in the forums next time around.

You may feel this way, but some people were saddend and sickened by the idea of someone wanting to go to a posted event and being told 'sorry, we don' want your kind'. Many thought that this was an immature and rude way to handle things.

This was way out of line...... nowhere did I say "Sorry, we don't want your kind" You are making me sound like i'm a bigot. You don't know me.

You just made that up and it is slanderous. This is what I meant when I said.

October 23 by coast2coast(285 found)

Due to some very immature cachers this event will not take place.

edited for spelling

Edited by coast2coast2coast