When Do I Need To Start Wearing Orange?

Team DEMP

Last year I took most of the fall/winter off from caching. I'll likely cache this year during those seasons and was wondering when I need to start worrying about getting shot (by hunters, not other cachers!!).

I still remember (and can find) a post by Brian last year that whenever I think about, I start laughing uncontrollably!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...ndpost&p=400251

It's Woodchuck season now through September 29th, so watch when you're poking your head up out of those holes. :rolleyes:

Deer season begins with bow (beginning of October) and then goes to various gun (November - January). The bow hunters usually have their act together as they have to run after their arrows. As the gun season progresses, it gets scarier and scarier out there as the gun power increases and shot accuracy decreases. :laughing:

Well, if you do any caching in PA, here's the seasons page.

For NJ, this page seems to be the one to check

For NY try the links from this page.

Wearing orange in the woods during ANY hunting season is a good idea, and especially the deer seasons. Check local laws, I think in PA anyone in state owned forests/lands during a hunting season is REQUIRED to wear the same amount of orange as hunters......

If you need to, WalMart has a big dry erase board above their Sporting Goods counters listing all the seasons and dates for your area.

They also usually have a stack of pamphlets from your state Environmental agency for hunters (usually free) that list seasons, dates, and areas.

Stop and pick one up while you are in there buying "orange"... :wacko:

Edited by Cracker.

Did ''Hunters Hunt'' Cache today in North Brunswick NJ, there were two other vehicles in the parking area. I didn't think much of it, after blundering around for about 1 1/2hrs doing the cache, on my way out down the trail I spotted two Bow Hunters in Full Camo, I have no idea what season it is, they didn't seem interested in talking to me, I think they were kind of annoyed that I was there (I'm not very quiet tripping and falling ).

I'm getting some Blaze Orange before I head out again.

Did ''Hunters Hunt'' Cache today in North Brunswick NJ, there were two other vehicles in the parking area. I didn't think much of it, after blundering around for about 1 1/2hrs doing the cache, on my way out down the trail I spotted two Bow Hunters in Full Camo, I have no idea what season it is, they didn't seem interested in talking to me, I think they were kind of annoyed that I was there (I'm not very quiet tripping and falling ).

I'm getting some Blaze Orange before I head out again.

As a matter of fact, I was chatting with a hunter last week and he mentioned that bowhunting starts on September 11. Start wearing blaze orange now! (Well, okay, the next time you go into the woods... not at home or in the office where you're reading this. B) )

PA Game Commission Orange Rules may be found at http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/dig...range_rules.pdf.

2004-2005 Deer Seasons:

DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered & Antlerless) Statewide: Oct. 2-Nov. 13 & Dec. 27-Jan. 15, 2005.

DEER (Antlered & Antlerless) Statewide: Nov. 29-Dec. 11.

DEER, ANTLERLESS (WMUs 2B & 5C): Dec. 27-Jan. 15, 2005.

More information about hunting may be found at the Pennsylvania Game Commission web site: http://www.pgc.state.pa.us.

Generally I won't venture into the free-fire zones at all except for Sundays and WAY after dark during the open rifle season.

I like to instead hunt the elusive urban micro and caches in "safe" zones where hunters aren't allowed. I used to have plenty blaze orange when I chased Bambi around the woods, but gave it up when I couldn't find Kevlar in blaze orange. :(