Injury Has Me Sidelined For A While

Imajika

On Friday, I dropped a large can and it hit my toe. My toe started to bleed and I thought I just had a cut...no big deal. It hurt a lot but I figured the pain would subside...well, it didn't. I woke up Saturday morning and my toe had a huge black bruise on it, it hurt to move it and it was swollen. Oh no! I found out my toe is BROKEN! The Dr. gave me some pain medicine and a brace/sock thing to wear (since wearing shoes hurts). He said there was nothing else he could do and said I should be feeling better in a week or so.

AH! No caching for me for a little while! I was planning on doing cache maintenance today but now I can't! One cache of mine may have floated away during recent rains. I was going to go check on yesterday and now I can't. The cache in question has been temporarily disabled. The cache isn't going to be archived by TPTB since I may not be able to check on it for a week or so, will it?

I guess now I will just post in the forums a lot until I can get back outside and walk around without whining like a baby! The can that hit my foot was a family sized can of beefaroni...who knew Chef Boyardee could be so cruel? :lol:

PS - Feel free to move this to the 'off topic' area. I thought it was on topic but these pain medicines have me in a fog. ;)

No, your post is quite on topic. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a return to active geocaching.

First off, regarding your caches that need maintenance, post a note on the cache page explaining what just happened. When the reviewer plows through a list of 200 disabled caches, when he sees good faith signs of life and logical explanations from the cache owner, he normally moves on to the next listing. It is the ones that are disabled with no explanation, or a note from 6 months ago saying "I'll fix it next weekend for sure," that tend to attract a reviewer's attention.

Geo-related stuff you can do while recuperating, besides turning your mind to mush in the forums:

1. Use online maps or sites about local history to research future cache hides.

2. Purchase the materials needed to construct a creative cache container or two, and make the gluing and spray painting into your craft project.

3. Do that project you've been putting off, like uploading photos to cache logs, or making a scrapbook, or building an offline database of your logs, or logging a new personal travel bug in and out of the caches you've visited.

There are plenty of other ideas...

I broke my ankle the end of June and had to learn a whole new way of caching. :lol: It cut way back on our caching. While I had the cast on we looked for caches on nice level ground. Even managed had few while using crutches. That was abit of a sight. Fortunately I cache with my husband as I quite often couldn't do the last few meters and was able to direct him with the crutch. ;) It also came in handy for those dark places you don't want to stcik your hand. ;)

Cast came off a few days ago and now I just have a small ankle air cast that lets me do inclines so caches higher than a 1.5 here I come. :lol:

Hope your toe is happier soon.

No, your post is quite on topic. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a return to active geocaching.

First off, regarding your caches that need maintenance, post a note on the cache page explaining what just happened. When the reviewer plows through a list of 200 disabled caches, when he sees good faith signs of life and logical explanations from the cache owner, he normally moves on to the next listing. It is the ones that are disabled with no explanation, or a note from 6 months ago saying "I'll fix it next weekend for sure," that tend to attract a reviewer's attention.

Geo-related stuff you can do while recuperating, besides turning your mind to mush in the forums:

1. Use online maps or sites about local history to research future cache hides.

2. Purchase the materials needed to construct a creative cache container or two, and make the gluing and spray painting into your craft project.

3. Do that project you've been putting off, like uploading photos to cache logs, or making a scrapbook, or building an offline database of your logs, or logging a new personal travel bug in and out of the caches you've visited.

There are plenty of other ideas...

did you ever consider writing a book?

nice going!

:lol:

KA gave some good advice. I also say this: CRUTCHES!!!!! OK, I admit that is a pain, can lead to sore arm pits, and likely limits cache choice some, but it is still caching!

If your crutches are hurting your armpits, you are not using them correctly. You should be taking the weight on your hands, not your armpits. The upper portion of the crutch is to give your hands more control over where the crutch goes. (I was on crutches for awhile a few years back.)

Back on topic:

Imajika, I hope you feel better soon, but don't try to do too much, too fast.

As for what to do while homebound, plan a caching day for when you are in better shape. Organize a list of caches that you want to find and figure out the most efficient way to get from one to the next. Make a list of everything you need for a full 14 hours of caching under any conditions. You may never do it, but it would be good mental exercise.

KA gave some good advice. I also say this: CRUTCHES!!!!! OK, I admit that is a pain, can lead to sore arm pits, and likely limits cache choice some, but it is still caching!

If your crutches are hurting your armpits, you are not using them correctly. You should be taking the weight on your hands, not your armpits. The upper portion of the crutch is to give your hands more control over where the crutch goes. (I was on crutches for awhile a few years back.)

Yes, you are right. But I was bad about doing that because when I did, I got blisters on my hands! My ultimate solution was to just hobble around because the Dr. said I was allowed to if I could take the pain. Maybe wear golf gloves or something like that? I never tried that.

No Problem, While you are laid up Ill contact CO Admin and have him archive all your caches as abandoned. Just my way of helping. :lol:;)

Hey you can Work on Next years Events for C.A.C.H.E. Since I roped you into being event coordinator.

Also once you can get around a little I know a few caches that if I Can get you so can you in your present state.

Seriously, if you need something you have my number, call.

Work on puzzle caches. I generally avoid them cause they can take a relatively long time to figure out, and I prefer to spend time in the field instead of on the kitchen table. But in your shoes, I would be solving as many puzzles as I could.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Oh wow, does that bring back memories ... In high school we acquired a sixteen gallon keg and a 55 gallon barrel so we could pack ice around it. Instead of lowering the keg into the barrel, this guy decides to drop it from 'chest high'. My right foot was under the lip of the barrel when all 160 lbs. of smooth refreshing Budweiser came crashing down. The result was a completely smashed big toe, and the two toes beside it were broken as well. It was one of those 'throbbing with pain' type of injuries. So I feel your pain, sorry to hear, and hope you feel better quickly. :blink:

*recruits Imajika into the Gimp Squad* :blink:

Broken toes are awful! There's not a lot that can be done for them other than what you're doing. I certainly hope it heals quickly and that your pain is minimized as much as possible.

In the meantime, you could go through the list of locationless caches (This is the easiest site to navigate that I've found) and bide your time recuperating while still caching.

Feel better soon!

Want to help making hiking staffs? I drilled a hole through my left index finger Friday and now I'm way behind (I'm lefthanded)! :D

Before anyone asks...I was building my wife a footbridge for her garden when the cordless drill slipped. Wala!! I now have a body piercing. :blink:

I didn't see the warning on the drill until later..."Do not operate power tools while drinking beer."

El Diablo

I know, well I soon will know, how you all feel about not being able to cache. I have 2 upcoming wrist surgeries, one on each wrist-not at the same time, so I won't be able to drive or ride my motorcycle, so I plan to do some benchmark hunting around town. They didn't say I couldn't walk but I know you can't walk righ now so no advice from me.

Ken

Imajika, are you still coming the the event in Monument at the end of the month?

No, I can't go. We were planning on it but my hubby and I were actually able to take some vacation time from work at the same time so we are going to Seattle for 6 days. Hopefully my toe will be better so I can cache in Seattle!

I stayed off my toe all weekend so it wasn't hurting THAT badly. Today I went to work and after walking around all day it feels like it is going to fall off! Yikes!

Where is my medicine? B)