Condoms Are Not Good Geo-swag

HoundGrrls

A newbie found my cache and left a condom (hopefully unused but still).

In case you don't know:

Condoms, though they are an important public health device, are not good geo-swag. Parents may not be ready to discuss such things with toddlers. Plus, ummm, would someone ever use a condom, placed in a public place (in the heat), left by a stranger?

Ok, now that I've gotten that off my chest...

While condoms are probably not good swag, if your 7 year old can legally buy them over the counter they should not be something that we rise up in arms over.

If I found a concom I'd just swap it out. and throw it away later. Then I'd explain to my kids what it was, and why it exists. Next I'd fall over laughing because there is only one reason to leave a condom in a cache. Whoever left it ain't getting any.

Then I'd have to try to explain why I'm laughing so hard to the kids and that would be a lot harder to explain.

but - if you found ONLY things your 7 yearl old would want - wouldn't trading be pretty dull for you? Don't you want to find something YOU would like?

I agree. I don't think I'd give a child a mini screwdriver set, a small spray can of WD40, or insect repellent, but I think they are great trade items

While condoms are probably not good swag, if your 7 year old can legally buy them over the counter they should not be something that we rise up in arms over.

If I found a concom I'd just swap it out. and throw it away later. Then I'd explain to my kids what it was, and why it exists. Next I'd fall over laughing because there is only one reason to leave a condom in a cache. Whoever left it ain't getting any.

Then I'd have to try to explain why I'm laughing so hard to the kids and that would be a lot harder to explain.

LOL - thank you !!

:lol::o:o:lol::lol::lol:

but - if you found ONLY things your 7 yearl old would want - wouldn't trading be pretty dull for you? Don't you want to find something YOU would like?

I agree. I don't think I'd give a child a mini screwdriver set, a small spray can of WD40, or insect repellent, but I think they are great trade items

thanks brain-

HA - just to push this to the limit - why the heck not?

now if you are talking about up to 5 years old I'd probably agree - but after that?

I was using that screw driver when I was 6 or 7 (or wished I had one!) would have needed the WD40 if I had one, and probably needed the bug spray depending on where I was using it.

But serioulsy folks (actually I was serious!) -- there are a lot of very mechanical kids out there - and I guess it comes down to who that 'child' is - not his/her age - and/or just how you define a child.

I always like your posts there snat - keep it up -

Of course, this all goes back to what someone previously said in the forums... Whenever they cache with their kids, they open the container first - mainly as a safety measure to make sure his kids don't find anything they shouldn't have. THEN the kids are allowed to look through it.

On the one hand I think some of you are over-reacting. A condom is just a piece of rubber. I know my kids would handle it as a ballon and blow it up. (As they do to my rubber gloves when they raid my workshop.) And if the kid can't read, you can pretty much dismiss it as a bag of grease.

On the other hand, it is a sexual related item and some cultures find it too taboo a topic.

I wouldn't find it offensive if I found one with my daughters (ages 6 & 8) because I know how I would handle it. They understand some things are for adults. After all, we have run into the condom aisle at Walmart.

I wouldn't leave one because the taboo factor affects me enough not to place one.

On the one hand I think some of you are over-reacting. A condom is just a piece of rubber. I know my kids would handle it as a ballon and blow it up. (As they do to my rubber gloves when they raid my workshop.) And if the kid can't read, you can pretty much dismiss it as a bag of grease.

On the other hand, it is a sexual related item and some cultures find it too taboo a topic.

I wouldn't find it offensive if I found one with my daughters (ages 6 & 8) because I know how I would handle it. They understand some things are for adults. After all, we have run into the condom aisle at Walmart.

I wouldn't leave one because the taboo factor affects me enough not to place one.

Reminds me of something my ex-boyfriend once did... (Before we were together, thank you) He found what he thought were brightly colored baloons in his father's glovebox. No clue why he was rummaging in there... But then thought they were baloons and blew 'em all up.

[on a side note, there are plusses to being with the step-brother of your best friend... Really good stories about who you date being an idiot for one thing... (this is the same person the poison ivy story is about)]

Let's not forget that animals could be attracted to the scent of flavored condoms. :o

As a non-parent, I really wouldn't be offended if I found a condom in a cache, but I agree with a previous poster who questioned why ANYONE would want to TAKE a condom that's been sitting for who knows how long in the woods. Eww.

Some joker once left a USED condom in a cache once. Now THAT happened to offend me... :lol:

man if u want to see a butt load of condoms then you should go to High Fedilety. that place is filled with them.i think it is wrong how people do such things i mean i bet u a lot of people go down there a lot and i dont mean geocachers.it is kinda freekey to even go down there. my friend also lives up the street. it is just wrong!!!!! :lol::o:lol::lol::lol:

There was a similar topic on a German board and the people really didn't care about condoms in caches. Even if they had children they considered this as a joke, that's it. Nobody felt in any way offended by finding it. I guess that's the result of the difference between the US and Europe. We simply deal with this sexual topic completely different.

A lot of Germans are quite irritated by the american morality: On the one hand every sexual content is demonised and on the other hand violence seems to be somehow ok.

That shouldn't start a time-wasting debate about morality - it's just an explanation why most Europeans think a little bit different about this kind of items in caches: They don't care.

A newbie found my cache and left a condom (hopefully unused but still).

I would be okay with a condom in a cache, but I do think it goes against the rules for contents....

But I am bugged with the uncertainty if this condom was used! Was it in its packaging? If so, it was unused. If not in it's packaging......EEEEWWWW! I'd be not so okay with that! I'd be so hesitant to touch it if there was any doubt. I hope you used a stick!!!!!

Bec

But isn't a condom at least better than what some people leave? Like little rocks, shirt buttons, dirty broken plastic toys, etc....

Although, I would never use a condom I found in a cache but maybe some teens will take them to experiment with (har har). sorry.

Edited by kone

If you are uncomfortable with your kids finding a condom, you need not worry as they wouldn't recognize it or it's significance.

I hope my kids aren't as ignorant as some others and I'd be perfectly comfortable enlightening them.

When I was in school, we did a stint at "Nature's Classroom" on an island in the Boston harbor--used condoms were ALL over the beach.

When our "leader" (barely out of teenage years herself) described them as "prophylactics" most didn't know what she was talking about...but the knowledgable kids delighted in running around wispering "rubbers!" into the ears of the others. Heh.

Lighten up, love = good. A packaged condom harms no one.

Enjoy,

Randy

PS: As a trade item, I agree it's pointless--it's use limited to balloon.

PPS: Maybe the ladies don't know, in some regions of the US, public mens' rooms feature condom vending machine dispensers.

man if u want to see a butt load of condoms then you should go to High Fedilety.
Or see Debbi Does Dallas :( ok ok that was a bit over the line....lol

I remember I was working at a gas station when a kid about 7 or 8 took the condoms (the ones in the golds wrapping) and asked his dad to buy him these chocolates (sp?). I dont think its too big a deal... Just open the cache before your kids do and thats the end of it....

Niss

man if u want to see a butt load of condoms then you should go to High Fedilety.
Or see Debbi Does Dallas :( ok ok that was a bit over the line....lol

I remember I was working at a gas station when a kid about 7 or 8 took the condoms (the ones in the golds wrapping) and asked his dad to buy him these chocolates (sp?). I dont think its too big a deal... Just open the cache before your kids do and thats the end of it....

Niss

That seems like it could be a really good tactic for the 7 or 8 year old to get real chocolates: Pick up something embarrasing to the parent like a box of condoms, ask loudly if he can have these chocolates, let the parent put them back and buy the kid a real box of chocolates ;)

PPS: Maybe the ladies don't know, in some regions of the US, public mens' rooms feature condom vending machine dispensers.

I've seen them for sale in some ladies rooms as well...you know, to appeal to those impulse purchases while standing in line (wait, that's at the grocery store...)

Speaking of not knowing what they are. As a young girl, I remember someone once talking about a lover's lane place that was littered with "rubbers". I wasn't sure why so many people would throw their rain boots in one place!

Bec

OK, I have to add this one: Recently (within the last 4 months) we were caching and found an expired sample container of Morning After pills. Our group, all adults, was flabberghasted. We couldn't believe someone would leave pills in a cache. Let alone Expired ones and think it was a good idea.

Like anyone in their right mind would take pills found in a cache. Kinda like using the condom you find in the cache... you would have to be REALLY trusting and desperate.

So I had to share, and rather than starting my own topic about this, it is easier to piggyback it onto this one.

So we removed and trashed the pills, some candy, and a the usual rusty handfull of junk drawer stuff. I just can't believe the stuff we get to trade for around here!:(

-J

Condoms can be used in many ways. For example can you place it on your head and blow it up. Quite funny.

You can also let your kids use it as a water balloon.. Just throw it away on geomugglers.. :)

Or do the typical test: How much water can I condom stand before it break?

So whats the fuzz about???

BTW... Isn't the world strange... If you find a condom in a cache do you refuse to use it. But if you find a beer in a cache - then you will open it and get drunk, and most probably have sex without condom.

Mmm...nothing like a nice can of beer that's been sitting in a cache in the sun for months. Yummy. :)

BTW... Isn't the world strange... If you find a condom in a cache do you refuse to use it. But if you find a beer in a cache - then you will open it and get drunk, and most probably have sex without condom.

Mmm...nothing like a nice can of beer that's been sitting in a cache in the sun for months. Yummy. :)

Probably that's why only one can is enough to make you drunk. :)