Cache-cadians

The Navigatorz

Congratulations Barnabirdy(s) one another milestone - 1600- # 2000 is just around the corner.

As I sit at my desk working and feeling sorry for myself, all my caching buddies are at the local musuem listening to Bruce Bjornstad talk on the Missoula flood and the ice age. Hope they take notes for me. Wishing I could be there too. :P

Got to show off my newest toy:

Verizon Pocket PC Phone

Everything in one. Cell phone, digital camera, Internet, email, and much more. I've got GPXView reader on it and have several waypoints loaded for my next geocaching adventure (Oregon coast). The phone service through Verizon is National access, the Internet/email access is unlimited, and I can search for caches anywhere in the USA that Verizon has service. And now that gc.com has a new service for members, called Instant Log Notification, I can get immediate email notification of a new cache in the area. Now if it just had a gps built into it.

I went to an awesome view cache I'd like to share, and recommend to anyone who enjoys mountain view caches:

Amabilis Mountain Cache. See photo. In addition to the Stewart range, the viewpoint also takes in 3 lakes, Kachess, Keechelus, and Easton. The cache has been out 2 years (Aug. 2003) and has had only 8 visitors. It takes a rig with high clearance to get there. This location goes down as one of my top favorite view caches.

Edited by The Navigatorz
I went to an awesome view cache I'd like to share, and recommend to anyone who enjoys mountain view caches:

Amabilis Mountain Cache. See photo. In addition to the Stewart range, the viewpoint also takes in 3 lakes, Kachess, Keechelus, and Easton. The cache has been out 2 years (Aug. 2003) and has had only 8 visitors. It takes a rig with high clearance to get there. This location goes down as one of my top favorite view caches.

I loved that cache! An awesome view...

In fact.... you should go to the WSGA Forums and nominate that for Cache of the Month!. I know I would vote for it!

Thanks for the heads up. I will put this on my must do soon list. Do ya think Bertha will have any problems? ( in other words how wide is the road?)

Anybody up for a Saturday drive up to do Runhills and Flying dog caches "The world as Runhills likes to see it" and "Prayer flags" soon. I would like to do these two caches soon. I think I am available to go on a Saturday September 17. Shall we make it a party?

Thanks for the heads up.  I will put this on my must do soon list.  Do ya think Bertha will have any problems?  ( in other words how wide is the road?)

Regarding the road to Amabilis cache, Big Bertha shouldn't have any trouble at all. The road isn't narrow, it isn't steep, its plenty wide, you don't need 4WD, at least not this time of year. What you do need though is high clearance, and Bertha has plenty. The reason is there are several water bars to drive over. A car would high center. I had no problem driving over them in the Navigator. Any SUV or truck would do fine.

PS. It looks like lucyandrickie managed to drive up there in their Honda Civic last year.

Edited by The Navigatorz

Wow, timely posting - I'll add this to my vacation caching list for next week!!

Amabilis Mountain Cache.  See photo.  In addition to the Stewart range, the viewpoint also takes in 3 lakes, Kachess, Keechelus, and Easton.  The cache has been out 2 years (Aug. 2003) and has had only 8 visitors.  It takes a rig with high clearance to get there.  This location goes down as one of my top favorite view caches.

Thanks for the heads up. I will put this on my must do soon list. Do ya think Bertha will have any problems? ( in other words how wide is the road?)

Anybody up for a Saturday drive up to do Runhills and Flying dog caches "The world as Runhills likes to see it" and "Prayer flags" soon. I would like to do these two caches soon. I think I am available to go on a Saturday September 17. Shall we make it a party?

The last two logs on Prayer Flags were DNFs. I think you still have my cell number if you need it on that one. Just let me know what day you are going up there and I will make sure I have it on.

I'm tempted to wade across the Wenatchee River to get Pinball cache (near Peshastin). The river is at its lowest level in years. According to this USGS CHART, the average flow for this date over 75 years is 1399 cfs. The highest ever for this date was 4260 cfs.

The flow today was only 522 cubic feet/second, and its been declining steadily every day (look at the blue line on the CFS Chart). I went there this evening and it looks very doable. Anyone want to wade with me to a 5 star difficulty cache? I may go later this month.

Pinball cache. Last log date July 4, 2004 by (accessed by raft).

Edited by The Navigatorz
I'm tempted to wade across the Wenatchee River to get Pinball cache (near Peshastin). The river is at its lowest level in years. According to this CHART, the average flow for this date over 75 years is 1399 cfs. The highest ever for this date was 4260 cfs.

The flow today was only 522 cubic feet/second, and its been declining steadily every day (look at the blue line on the chart). I went there this evening and it looks very doable. Anyone want to wade with me to a 5 star difficulty cache? I may go later this month.

Pinball cache. Last log date July 4, 2004 by (accessed by raft).

This may be something to think for Saturday during the Campout or Sunday as we are heading out. If gets as hot as the forcast is suggesting, 95 on Saturday & 99 on Sunday, many of us wetsiders may be melting and a dip in the river will do us some good.

I'm tempted to wade across the Wenatchee River to get Pinball cache (near Peshastin).  The river is at its lowest level in years.  According to this CHART,  the average flow for this date over 75 years is 1399 cfs.  The highest ever for this date was 4260 cfs. 

The flow today was only 522 cubic feet/second, and its been declining steadily every day (look at the blue line on the chart).  I went there this evening and it looks very doable.  Anyone want to wade with me to a 5 star difficulty cache?  I may go later this month.

Pinball cache.  Last log date July 4, 2004 by (accessed by raft).

This may be something to think for Saturday during the Campout or Sunday as we are heading out. If gets as hot as the forcast is suggesting, 95 on Saturday & 99 on Sunday, many of us wetsiders may be melting and a dip in the river will do us some good.

Don't even try it unless you have a better spot to cross than just below the island or a death wish. I did it this afternoon and it was one of the dumbest thigs I have ever done and that's saying a lot.

I'm tempted to wade across the Wenatchee River to get Pinball cache (near Peshastin).  The river is at its lowest level in years.  According to this CHART,  the average flow for this date over 75 years is 1399 cfs.  The highest ever for this date was 4260 cfs. 

The flow today was only 522 cubic feet/second, and its been declining steadily every day (look at the blue line on the chart).  I went there this evening and it looks very doable.  Anyone want to wade with me to a 5 star difficulty cache?  I may go later this month.

Pinball cache.  Last log date July 4, 2004 by (accessed by raft).

Don't even try it unless you have a better spot to cross than just below the island or a death wish. I did it this afternoon and it was one of the dumbest thigs I have ever done and that's saying a lot.

:lol: You're my hero! :anibad:

Well congratulations anyway for gettng Pinball cache without a raft. I wasn't planning on going until later in the month. The river should be at the lowest level when the weather starts to cool for Fall, and before the rains come. When I wrote earlier (Aug. 15), the flow that day was at 522 cfs and falling. Today the flow was at 452 cfs. If it gets below 400 cfs, I'm going.

See USGS Wenatchee River at Peshastin

Thanks to all for the congrats. :laughing:

I was going for 13 last Friday when i slipped and twisted my knee in Cashmere. Ionly got 2 out of the way. Today is my day off and i am going to doa couple that dont require lots of leg work. My knee is still kinda sore :laughing:

I am up for doing PINBALL. It was on my list to check out last week.

Call me when ready. 630-1685 my cell #

THanks again.

Jon

Blue J

Finally got 'Old Paint' out of the way. Had to use a lifeline but oh well.

I don't know if everyone saw my post somewhere about a store on Wenatchee Avenue behind Buddy LaFluer next to Rocky's called Surplus Solutions. They have regular ammo cans for $5. They even have bigger ammo cans too.

The flow at Peshastin was 349. PINBALL ! B) maybe Saturday?????

Blue J

Saturday sounds good to me. How about XY? Can you make it Saturday too Anyone else? Yes, the Wenatchee River is at its lowest on record. Land Rover crossed it during the campout weekend when the flow was 520 cfs. Although it seemed to be a scary experience. I attempted it last weekend when the flow was 450 cfs and got almost halfway, and decided against continuing because I wasn't prepared to get everything wet, including gps if I fell. Now the flow is at 349 (and it might be lower on Saturday). Let's do it!! Pinball....here we come.

Edited by The Navigatorz
Hmmmmm...I wonder if I can find any other 'wetsiders' that may want to split the gas money to join in on this...

How about it?...LittleBlue?...Andrew?...Anyone?  :D

I'll go! No wait I already did it! B)B)

My Log

Don't forget TWO treking poles or eqivalent. If you find my broken one on the island and the current is not to bad would you mind trashing it out. I had enough to worry about at the time and didn't want to add more problems to my already bad situation.

It looks like a cooling trend is coming. Thats good, meaning possibly lower flows by Saturday, although they are predicting rain on Saturday (30%). See Wenatchee Weather Forecast.

Hey Ambrosia, what's it like to own a much talked about geocache? :lol:

My husband's getting a kick out of everyone's discussion. :o

Hey, if you guys don't get it, my husband can take you down on the raft in the spring. He's gonna plan another caching/rafting trip. Hopefully this next year will be a better one for rafting, and we can plan the trip well ahead of time. Even if you guys get pinball this year, if you go on the rafting trip, you could get two other caches, "Don't Cache and Drive", and "Dig In".

How about it?...LittleBlue?...Andrew?...Anyone? 

Huh huh what? Sorry- haven't been paying attention again! :o

I'm free on Saturday- what's up?

A few of those Cache-cadians think it will be fun to wade across the Wenatchee river to get Pinball (the way Landrover did it following the Campout last month)...and since I'm not above that sort of thing, I was just seeing if anyone else from this side wanted to go...that's all. :lol:

It looks like a cooling trend is coming.  Thats good, meaning possibly lower flows by Saturday, although they are predicting rain on Saturday (30%).  See Wenatchee Weather Forecast.

Hey Ambrosia, what's it like to own a much talked about geocache?  :lol:

My husband's getting a kick out of everyone's discussion. :o

Hey, if you guys don't get it, my husband can take you down on the raft in the spring. He's gonna plan another caching/rafting trip. Hopefully this next year will be a better one for rafting, and we can plan the trip well ahead of time. Even if you guys get pinball this year, if you go on the rafting trip, you could get two other caches, "Don't Cache and Drive", and "Dig In".

'bro - You back in town?

Hey I'd love to go rafting with All41 in the Spring.

Rec

Hmmmmm...I wonder if I can find any other 'wetsiders' that may want to split the gas money to join in on this...

How about it?...LittleBlue?...Andrew?...Anyone? :lol:

Oh sure. Notice you didn't mention my name. Are you afraid of what T2A will do to you if I fall Again and get swept down the raging Wenatchee River?

How about it?...LittleBlue?...Andrew?...Anyone?  :o

Oh sure. Notice you didn't mention my name. Are you afraid of what T2A will do to you if I fall Again and get swept down the raging Wenatchee River?

Something like that...yep... :lol:

I was going to try it Saturday morning, but if people from the west side are coming over, I'll wait until everyone shows up. Since I live just a few miles away, you guys decide on the time and I'll show up.

If I get swept away, remember me as someone who loved to geocache. Someone can have my gps and another my walking stick. My wife gets the Navigator. :lol: