Cache-cadians

The Navigatorz

Hey all, I am thinking about a leisurly crawl up to Lake Clara and Marion this Saturday afternoon. It is a fairly short but steep hike. I know my pace will be slow. Anyone want to join me?

Edit: The Tweedies Lewisia might be in bloom. There are two caches involved. A new one called Maxwell House and one XY put up there last winter with only Navigatorz logging it I think.

Edited by Patudles

Well xy and I came close to being FTF this evening. Since I already hiked in from the ski area parking lot last year when I found the Lake Marion cache, I really wanted to come in from the opposite end for the new cache at Lake Clara, via the Beehive-Mission Creek road. (It's a shorter hike with less elevation gain). But we got to within 1 mile of the trailhead and were stopped by a gate. If you want to wait a couple of weeks until they open the road, I'll go with you on the easier trail. In comparison, it has about 1/3 the elevation gain as the suggested route.

Well now that sounds like a winning idea as I have never hiked in from that side before. Been up the steep way many times. So I guess I am ready for an easier way in. I would need to go with someone for sure that way as I don't know where that trailhead is. Keep me posted.

Coordinates from trailhead are: N47° 18.330 W120° 25.450

Here is where you start from the Beehive-Mission Ridge Road

I guess we could walk the 1-1/4 mile on the road from the gate to the trailhead, then the 3/4 mile hike to the lake, that still might be easier than the hike in from the ski area...it will just take longer I imagine (twice as far). I'm going to call the FS today and find out if they can tell me when the gate will be opened. I'll keep you posted.

By the way, the gate is right where you park for the The Masters Touch cache.

Edited by The Navigatorz
Keep me posted :lol:

I got a call from the FS today. They are sending someone up tomorrow (Friday) to check on the condition of the road. It was gated a couple of weeks ago due to the heavy rainfall we were getting. There was a large mud puddle about 3/4 mile past the gate. If it looks dried out tomorrow they will open the gate. But, this person said they would not get the report back until next Tuesday after the holiday. So the choices are either 1) wait another weekend, or 2) take a chance and drive up this weekend, or 3) take the steep hike in from the ski area.

I received a call this afternoon from the FS and was told the gate is now open. Sorry that you weren't able to get away this evening Patudles. I went with xy and Wenatchee Fuzz and tried mountain biking. Results? Mountain biking is not for me. I'll stick with hiking. I still recommend going in from the Liberty-Beehive road. It's easier terrain once you get past the rock slide.

Yeah, wish I could have joined you, if nothing else than to have taken pictures :o

You mean your not going to go trail riding with M10B on the Devil's gulch this August? :laughing:

I think I have talked Mr. & Mrs. Gadget #2 into joining me on the trail today so I best go get my beauty rest. :drama:

Yeah, wish I could have joined you, if nothing else than to have taken pictures :laughing:

You mean your not going to go trail riding with M10B on the Devil's gulch this August? :drama:

Sure, I'll go with him if he doesn't mind towing me in one of those trailer bike buggies. Now that would be something to take pictures of. :o

Happy Birthday Mr. Navigatorz

Milestone for you huh,. :o Many more geocaching years to come. 50 isn't so bad I just did my first nighttime hike out of the mountains Saturday :P and I am older than you so maybe you can get some new experiences now too. ~ Tudles

Ps: Loved the artwork on your car.

Edited by Patudles
Happy Birthday Mr. Navigatorz

Milestone for you huh,. :wub: Many more geocaching years to come. 50 isn't so bad I just did my first nighttime hike out of the mountains Saturday :D and I am older than you so maybe you can get some new experiences now too. ~ Tudles

Ps: Loved the artwork on your car.

You mean this artwork? My kids had a fun time decorating the Navigator.

176ae920-06e7-40cf-95d1-f303786259d4.jpg

I had a great birthday weekend with my family, and experienced a rare occassion...they all went geocaching with me (and actually got out of the car to help me find a cache).

Also thanks Patudles, XY, and Robinego for the get together and lunch at my favorite restaurant today, The Thai. Does that count as an Event?

There weren't a lot of "quality" caches on our trip. They lack imagination down there. We found two lamp pole base hides IN A ROW! and probably a half dozen in all. Walk 200 feet into the desert for an ammo box was also popular. Much snake and scorpion talk but we didn't see any.

We couldn't have done much caching without the laptop We had pocket query for most cities along the way (11,000 caches! ;) ). Paperless caching is OK but tests your memory.

We had dinner with Ohjoy! in Olympia, she put us onto the stat site.

You Wenatchee folks have been busy, we have some catching up to do but have to rest up first.

K&A

There weren't a lot of "quality" caches on our trip. They lack imagination down there. We found two lamp pole base hides IN A ROW! and probably a half dozen in all. Walk 200 feet into the desert for an ammo box was also popular. Much snake and scorpion talk but we didn't see any.

We couldn't have done much caching without the laptop We had pocket query for most cities along the way (11,000 caches! B) ). Paperless caching is OK but tests your memory.

We had dinner with Ohjoy! in Olympia, she put us onto the stat site.

You Wenatchee folks have been busy, we have some catching up to do but have to rest up first.

K&A

email me when you come back to town. I have a present for you to deliver. B)

Home at last, boy were we in some hot places! [B)] . Picked up 142 on the trip. Unfortunately the National Park visits resulted in a disproportionate number of virtuals.

Has anyone discovered this site?

<http://grand_high_pobah.home.comcast.net/Washington1.html>

Check it at your own risk (except The Nav, it is required for him) hope the link works.

K&A

Just noticed that 5 Cache-cadians are in the top 100 group. Considering how few of us there are that is interesting. There are also two other cachers not very far behind. WooHoo Cache-cadians. B)

What makes Barnabirdys stats so amazing to me is that they live in an area with very low cache density. In a 20 mile radius of Winthrop, there are only 29 caches (and 13 of them are theirs). Some who have found more caches than they have over 1000 caches in a 20 mile radius of where they live. So for living in Winthrop and being in the top 10, thats quite an accomplishment.

Way to go Tudles, 1200 and counting. The numbers just don't tell the complete story. She had told me that she had never done a cache machine where one can get a whole bunch of numbers. I know first hand what determination you have got to dig out those finds. Like hiking into Marion and Clara Lakes at 7:00pm and not getting back to the car untill 11:00pm. or spending 7 1/2 hrs climbing Saddle Rock. Hey Girl your are an inspiration to all of us. AND just last April during the cache machine, Robinego was telling the wife and me that she was wanting to do a special cache for your 1000 find. Now 3 months later and you have another 200. When are you going to slow down so we can catch up?? Great Job!!

Hey I hear you are tied to a desk now....hehehehe :D Maybe I'll come out and play now that I'll have more a chance to grab those firsties. Serously, a much needed vacation (Cancun), work and visitors are eating away at my caching. Gonna go play with Lucy in Seattle next week, wanna come. Oh wait, YOU HAVE TO WORK NOW! :D:D:D

Hey I hear you are tied to a desk now....hehehehe :D Maybe I'll come out and play now that I'll have more a chance to grab those firsties. Serously, a much needed vacation (Cancun), work and visitors are eating away at my caching. Gonna go play with Lucy in Seattle next week, wanna come. Oh wait, YOU HAVE TO WORK NOW! :D:D:D

The real question is, did you find any caches in Cancun?

:D

It was a fight, but I got 5. I almost had to pull out the "if you loved me..." bit, but in the end, withholding travelers checks and giving a lot of stink eye got the job done. :laughing:

Wow, nothing like the Robinego stink eye. It sure scares the . . . out of me! :anibad:

The real question is, did you find any caches in Cancun?

:laughing:

It was a fight, but I got 5. I almost had to pull out the "if you loved me..." bit, but in the end, withholding travelers checks and giving a lot of stink eye got the job done. :anibad:

I understand perfectly!

High fives on getting 5!

B)B)

The caching team of ou8alizzard from Nevada will be visiting in our area this coming week. How about we show them a good ole Cache-cadian welcome dinner one night. I'm kinda thinking Sunday evening, 7ish. We will be out caching during the day time. Who all wants to join in. I know it is short notice. Shall we say Bob's Pizza in the Victorian Village. Let me know if you have any better ideas.

The caching team of ou8alizzard from Nevada will be visiting in our area this coming week. How about we show them a good ole Cache-cadian welcome dinner one night. I'm kinda thinking Sunday evening, 7ish. We will be out caching during the day time. Who all wants to join in. I know it is short notice. Shall we say Bob's Pizza in the Victorian Village. Let me know if you have any better ideas.

Grrr.... Either the Norwegian cousins or work has to go before I can come. I vote work! Sorry, I wont be able to attend ;)

Mr. Gadget #2 and I met with Nevada's cachers ou8alizard and went to Ellensburg. There we met with Eclecticlibrarian and Reporter John of the Ellensburg paper. We took him caching and answered some questions. We took him to Redtop Mountain Lookout for a cache with a view. It will be interesting to see what he says about us.

Edit: Ooooops

Edited by Patudles