Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DanIAm

How to avoid Stick-Tites?

40 posts in this topic

I am originally from Southern California. I never knew what stick-tites were until I started Geocaching. Talk about annoying as all hell. I hate having to pick these off of everything when I get home. What could I use, design, implement, to avoid this nuisance.

 

GG

 

GeocachingGuy@cox.net

0

Share this post


Link to post

I'm from all over and have never heard of stick-tites. Animal, vegetable or mineral?

0

Share this post


Link to post

I'm guessing something like Foxtail stickers.

 

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

0

Share this post


Link to post

Try aluminum foil pants. icon_wink.gif

 

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

0

Share this post


Link to post

I'm guessing this is like "stickers" or "burrs"?

0

Share this post


Link to post

I live in Michigan and various things stick to one's clothing when walking in the woods and fields. Some are what I call burrs or cockle burrs. Some are small, less than 1/8 inch in diameter and stick when they are green or when the plant dries and turns brown. But a real nuisance. Last year I heard of people spraying the non stick product called 'Pam' on shoelaces. Have not tried that. Leather laces work well. There are some tightly woven outdoor clothes that seem to repel sticky plant matter. I have not purchased any but think it may be a good idea.

0

Share this post


Link to post

welcome to the great outdoors. i have found that jungle fatigues do a pretty good job of not collecting stickers. they are made of a tightly woven ripstop cotton/nylon blend. can be found at surplus stores. good luck. -harry

0

Share this post


Link to post

A good pair of nylon gaiters would work, but personally I'd feel funny wearing them in the summer. I just wear them when snow is on the ground.

 

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

0

Share this post


Link to post

You can put tape over the shoelaces of your hiking boots. Duck tape (and yes, it's "duck" not "duct") is not a good idea, as it will leave a sticky residue. Try some of the sticker painter's tape. The easy-release stuff will come off too easily, though.

 

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

0

Share this post


Link to post

All I know is that is dam near impossible to get them out to Wigwam socks without ruining the socks.

 

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

 

unclerojelio

0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by SkyeMaloney:

We always called them 'hitch hikers'


 

Us too. Had to laugh late this last winter when our oldest invited a friend to go caching with us. We arrived to pick him up and his mom had him dress from head to toe in polar fleece. All was well until the last cache where he had picked up 100s of hitch hikers.

 

I have used a fine toothed comb as well as one of those sweater pill removers with varying success on the hikers.

 

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

Duck tape (and yes, it's "duck" not "duct") is not a good idea, as it will leave a sticky residue.


 

I always thought that the product was duct tape and that Duck tape is a brand of duct tape (and also the sponsor of Stuck at Prom.)

 

George

0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

Duck tape (and yes, it's "duck" not "duct") is not a good idea, as it will leave a sticky residue.


 

Duck Tape is a brand of duct tape.

 

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Duck tape (and yes, it's "duck" not "duct")

 

Uh, oh, I sense another flame war.

 

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

0

Share this post


Link to post

I understand if you cover your legs with Mayonaise it works very well. But not the light mayonaise... has to be the real thing!!

 

icon_smile.gif

 

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif

0

Share this post


Link to post

"duck tape" came before "duct tape".

 

It was first used by the military, and was made with a cotton duck material, thus the name.

 

George

0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Cockleburrs?


No thanks, I am in the mood for chinese tonight. frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif

0

Share this post


Link to post

Actually they had a show on ducktape..lol. Was first called duck tape and used in the war when soldiers needed some tape that was waterproof. Later, this tape was used to repair aluminum air ducts and was commonly called duct tape. Now they use other, better things for ducts. So..guess its up to you on whatever you want to call it.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Duck vs. Duct

 

It also tells the difference between 100 mph tape, 200 mph tape, and 1,000 mph tape...

 

~~~In my world, nothing ever goes wrong!~~~

0

Share this post


Link to post

What really helps to prevent picking up stickers, burrs, and stuff like that is a synthetic fabric that has a smoot surface. Nothing for them to sink their hooks into there.

 

Just what is a stick-tite? That's a new term to me.

 

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

 

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

0

Share this post


Link to post

I picked up a bunch while caching last week, and as I was walking back to the trailhead, I started to remember that the guy who invented Velcro was inspired by burrs that he had picked up while out in the woods. Alas, I was unable to come up with my own billion dollar idea, though.

 

"Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles. What do we live for if not to make the world less difficult for each other?"--George Eliot

 

MnGCA-Button.gif

0

Share this post


Link to post

Stick-Tites: I realize there may be many different names for the same problem, I just heard of these myself for the first time as well not to long ago. They are little seed looking things that are very small, truly looks like a seed but covered with equally small pokey things that grab onto ones clothing.

 

GeocachingGuy@cox.net

0

Share this post


Link to post

Renegade Knight

 

Do a search for any of the following:

Cockle Burr

Cockleburr

Cocklebur

Cockle Bur

 

It is a weed with spiny barbed grab-your-colthes things on them.

0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Smitherington:

Renegade Knight

 

Do a search for any of the following:

Cockle Burr

Cockleburr

Cocklebur

Cockle Bur

 

It is a weed with spiny barbed grab-your-colthes things on them.


 

I was wondering if that was what GeocachingGuy was talking about. But he's explined better since. Stick Tights I've never had a name for but they do a really good job glueing your shoelaces together so that you have to work at it for an hour to get off your shoes at the end of a day of geocaching.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Abandon all that fleece garbage you bought from Columbia Sportswear, Old Navy, etc. It only does 2 things well: Looks cozy and attracts burrs/foxtails/cheatgrass/etc.

 

I haven't had many problems with picking the stuff out of denim. Excellent idea about taping up boot laces, though, as that's my main chore involving the stuff. Wearing a high-rise boot protects the socks pretty well, as any sock above the boot will be covered by Levi's.

 

I suspect those "convertible pants" would shed those suckers pretty good.

 

130036_200.gif

0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by shawhh:

welcome to the great outdoors. i have found that jungle fatigues do a pretty good job of not collecting stickers. they are made of a tightly woven ripstop cotton/nylon blend. can be found at surplus stores. good luck. -harry


 

You must not have what we have. The stick to my fatigues just as bad as anything else.

 

If you get lost while geocaching, don't worry. Someone else will get lost while geocaching and find you. icon_wink.gif

0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

 

Duck Tape is a brand of duct tape.


No, but you're close. Duck Tape is a brand of duck tape.

 

"The original use was to keep moisture out of the ammunition cases. Because it was waterproof, people referred to the tape as "Duck Tape." Also, the tape was made using cotton duck - similar to what was used in their cloth medical tapes. Military personnel quickly discovered that the tape was very versatile and used it to fix their guns, jeeps, aircraft, etc."

 

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

0

Share this post


Link to post

I have to laugh at your shoestring problems; I wish that was my only problem. Try a medium sized dog with long hair romping through the bushes in the woods! We spend a lot of time working on the dog after geocaching and before we let her into the car. She's a burr magnet. icon_frown.gif

0

Share this post


Link to post

I heard it rumored that if you spray your trousers with a mild Viagra solution that it will cause all the velcro-like hooks in the burrs to straighten and then simply fall off. Haven’t verified this myself… but thought I’d share the info in case it case merit. icon_wink.gif

 

"Remember... nothing is completly worthless!!... it can always be used as a bad example"!

0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Shoebox:

I have to laugh at your shoestring problems; I wish that was my only problem. Try a medium sized dog with long hair romping through the bushes in the woods! We spend a lot of time working on the dog after geocaching and before we let her into the car. She's a burr magnet. icon_frown.gif


 

We used to have a Springer Spaniel who was indeed a burr magnet. Unfortunately she got foxtails in her ear once, which cost a bit to get them removed. Poor dumb dog.

 

130036_200.gif

0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

 

Duck Tape is a brand of duct tape.


No, but you're close. Duck Tape is a brand of duck tape.

 

_"The original use was to keep moisture out of the ammunition cases. Because it was waterproof, people referred to the tape as "Duck Tape." Also, the tape was made using cotton duck - similar to what was used in their cloth medical tapes. Military personnel quickly discovered that the tape was very versatile and used it to fix their guns, jeeps, aircraft, etc."_

 

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2800.gif

_"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."_


 

Funny, Duck Tape calls itself duct tape.

The title on their web page says:

Duck Products, Duck® brand Duct Tape and More!

http://www.duckproducts.com/default.asp

 

Maybe there really isn't one answer to this... icon_smile.gif

 

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Rasstag:

I heard it rumored that if you spray your trousers with a mild Viagra solution that it will cause all the velcro-like hooks in the burrs to straighten and then simply fall off. Haven’t verified this myself… but thought I’d share the info in case it case merit.


Actually, its a 3 to 1 dilution which would be more of a moderate solution and it needs to be applied manually with rapid strokes or the burrs will cross over to your hand, which by the way is called transferrance.

 

Transferrance is bad and you may want to protect your hand by wearing lambskin or other prophylatic measure.

 

If you can not avoid transferrance, then you should really see your doctor and be checked for HIB (Highly Infective Burrs) which can really ruin your day if left untreated.

 

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif

0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

quote:
Originally posted by Rasstag:

I heard it rumored that if you spray your trousers with a mild Viagra solution that it will cause all the velcro-like hooks in the burrs to straighten and then simply fall off. Haven’t verified this myself… but thought I’d share the info in case it case merit.


Actually, its a 3 to 1 dilution which would be more of a moderate solution and it needs to be applied manually with rapid strokes or the burrs will cross over to your hand, which by the way is called _transferrance_.

 

Transferrance is bad and you may want to protect your hand by wearing lambskin or other prophylatic measure.

 

If you can not avoid transferrance, then you should really see your doctor and be checked for _HIB_ (Highly Infective Burrs) which can really ruin your day if left untreated.


 

LOL. After reading in another thread that Doc-Dean really is a doctor, maybe a lawyer can give us a legalese description of how to avoid stick-tites. The computer geeks (I guess I'm one of them) are probably to busy debating duck tape vs. duct tape to give a techie explaination.

 

東西南北

Why do I always find it in the last place I look?

0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by GeocachingGuy:

I am originally from Southern California. I never knew what stick-tites were until I started Geocaching. Talk about annoying as all hell. I hate having to pick these off of everything when I get home. What could I use, design, implement, to avoid this nuisance.

 

GG

 

Stickers, cockle-burrs, stick-tites, ticks, bees, skeeters, scratches, bites, and scrapes all come with the hobby. Want to avoid them? Stay home!

 

GeocachingGuy@cox.net


0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by Clown Knife:

quote:
Originally posted by GeocachingGuy:

I am originally from Southern California. I never knew what stick-tites were until I started Geocaching. Talk about annoying as all hell. I hate having to pick these off of everything when I get home. What could I use, design, implement, to avoid this nuisance.

 

GG

 

GeocachingGuy@cox.net



 

Stickers, cockle-burrs, stick-tites, ticks, bees, skeeters, scratches, bites, and scrapes all come with the hobby. Want to avoid them? Stay home!

0

Share this post


Link to post

What are 'gaiters' and can these be used to keep the sticky things off of your legs? Someone mentioned to stay indoors. It's not so much that I don't want to come in contact with them, it simply finding a smarter less harder way to avoid having to spend the needless boring time when the trips over picking these out of everything.

 

GG

 

GeocachingGuy@cox.net

 

[This message was edited by GeocachingGuy on August 24, 2003 at 05:22 AM.]

0

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by GeocachingGuy:

What are 'gaiters' and can these be used to keep the sticky things off of your legs?


84850_600.jpg

 

Crosscountry skiers also use them to keep snow off their pant legs.

0

Share this post


Link to post

I wear THESE for pants and the burrs have a hard time sticking to them. I don't know if it is the smooth fabric or if it is the "treated with teflon" feature that does it, but they never sick to my pants. My shirt and shoelaces are a differnt story icon_frown.gif

 

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

0

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0