Venting

While I was gearing up to my tirade, I had a thought...

Maybe our beloved Moderators would allow us to pin a topic called "VENTING" on the boards.

Never mind, probably a bad idea.

Anyway, just wanted to blow off some steam. See, a few nights ago some lowlife, garbage POS decided to break into my garage. And then broke into my truck. Not only did the aforementioned POS steal every CD I had in there, (60+) but he/she also stole my GEOCACHING BACKPACK! ;)

AAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH! (I gnash my teeth in anger) :P

All of my trade goods! Two pairs of 'caching gloves! My packable first aid kit! Oodles of spare batteries! MY CALLING CARDS! MY EDDIE BAUER SLIMLINE BACKPACK (perfect for bushwacking)!!!

The only good thing is that I had my GPSr in the house at the time, so the b@st@rd didn't get it, too.

Now mind you, I'm a gentle soul. Live and let live, etc.

But if I EVER see that backpack in the 'hood, somebody's gonna get hurt! :P

Anybody else had trials or tribulations this past week?

When I was a kid we rented a house that had a playhouse. Used to love fixing up that playhouse and left my tools in it. One day we came home and our house had been broken into. The police came and said they used my screwdriver to break into the house. The only thing stolen was some rather personal items of my moms.

I felt bad for leaving out my tools. Mostly though I was perplexed as to why someone would break in and steal those items instead of say jewelry. Now that I'm an adult, looking back the scene only gets uglier. Man do I have a lot to teach my kids.

Nevertheless, I feel your pain.

Pray tell, what were the circumstances of your loss/recovery?

And who sent you the bum GPSr?

<edited for spelling>

I would rather not give the company, only because I do not want to open that can of worms. “That is what you get for buying a ????” stuff. Lets just say it is a major player in the GPS industry. They have actually been very pleasant do deal with, once we got passed the part of their canned responses. I actually told the first person to put their script away, and interact with me. I guess my short patience for such “stuff” comes from working in the sales, service, and special event industries for almost 20 years, and watching “customer service” go down the toilet.

uperdooper-

we took out the windows and put 2 deadbolt locks on the door

Will not stop a thief, putting your valuables in a secured place with an alarm is the rout to go. Get a motion sensor from radio shack and an alarm to go with it.

Believe me IF one wanted in one would just go through the roof. no real noise easy to do at night unsuspected once in no-one knows one is there leave anyway one could.

Renegade Knight- it was someone you knew a neighbor or friend. it was probably a kid or teen. The stuff was probably questionable. The police are morons and should have never told you it was your screwdriver, IT was NOT your fault.

Teach your kids anything you want, would you have really listened to your parents? I didn't.

Cherokeecacher- customer service in general sucks examples include but are not limited to:

scan your own item = do the job don't get paid

pay at the pump = do the job don't get paid

who's your manager = uhhh uhhh uhhhh

where's the manager = uhh uuhhh I am

you did not give me my hamburger = You did not order that with your "meal"

you forgot to give me my fries at the drive through = prove it.

where's my change= I thought you didn't want it

how long is the wait? 15 mins = 30-45 min

besides all the rudest people you could possibly ever come across.

That's why when I am out there helping people and charging them for it, I say please and thank you, I get bigger tips that way (and I don't carry change :D )

Caching at the Chain of Rocks Bridge in St Louis at Christmas, my sister's Jeep got broken into while we were hiking. They smashed out her driver's side window. We had all the good stuff with us, except for her Palm Pilot from work. They got that, and not much else, but then we had to drive home 30 miles with no window in December. A friend of hers is a St. Louis cop, and he said that parking lot is one of the 3 worst places in the city for breakins. And yes, we logged the breakin on the cache page, and its only been visited once since then. Too bad; it's a beautiful natural location that happened to have a rough neighborhood built around it.

The police are morons and should have never told you it was your screwdriver, IT was NOT your fault.

When did you get pulled over and given a ticket you did not deserve? Everyone hates us Police Officers till they need us, then we are not there fast enough for you, but on the day your late for work and speeding and we catch you, you get upset that we caught you.

I don't need you to thank me for the job I do, I don't care what people think, I don't do this for the glory and certainly not for the pay, I do it so you can be safe. If you don't like the way I do then you come do my job and see what you think then!

Now I am venting so this should not be off-topic!

Cherokeecacher- customer service in general sucks examples include but are not limited to:

scan your own item = do the job don't get paid

pay at the pump = do the job don't get paid

who's your manager = uhhh  uhhh uhhhh

where's the manager = uhh uuhhh I am

you did not give me my hamburger = You did not order that with your "meal"

you forgot to give me my fries at the drive through = prove it.

where's my change= I thought you didn't want it

how long is the wait? 15 mins = 30-45 min

besides all the rudest people you could possibly ever come across.

That's why when I am out there helping people and charging them for it, I say please and thank you, I get bigger tips that way (and I don't carry change  :D )

Like my Mom has beaten into my brain from birth, “ it all comes back to manners”.

It realy is that simple. Shhhhh, do not tell her I said she war rightt B)

When did you get pulled over and given a ticket you did not deserve? .........

I don't need you to thank me for the job I do, I don't care what people think, I don't do this for the glory and certainly not for the pay, I do it so you can be safe.  If you don't like the way I do then you come do my job and see what you think then!

Now I am venting so this should not be off-topic!

1) When it was the truck in front of me that pulled away from the light, and squealed HIS tires

2) On a foggy night in a European car with the rear FOG LIGHTS on, I got pulled over and written a ticket for having a rear light out. I told the over zealous officer (he was right out of the academy) that European cars have rear fog lights, and when turned on, the only light that shows is the one the driver side rear. He would not let me get the Volvo owners manual to show him I was not making it up.

3) When I was in college, I drove a “gray market” Mercedes. (Built in Europe, for sale in Europe, then came to the USA and went through the DOT conversion) The fog lights on this car are two small round lights between the headlamps and the grill. Once again on a foggy night, driving with my fog lamps on, I was pulled over a written a citation for driving with my High beams on.

In each of these cases, the officers were just doing their jobs, but no where in the job description does it say, “ be rude to everyone you encounter and you know every thing, and are always correct. You have a badge, a gun, and a light bar on your car, so you can do whatever you want to others.

I respect anyone who volunteers to put themselves in harms way, so others can be safe. I also expect those same people to respect me.

A cr@ppy attitude is inexcusable in ANY profession while dealing with the public.

uperdooper-
we took out the windows and put 2 deadbolt locks on the door

Will not stop a thief, putting your valuables in a secured place with an alarm is the rout to go. Get a motion sensor from radio shack and an alarm to go with it.

this roof might not stop anyone but it won't be easy, it's metal. then there is the 3/4 inch USB on the ceiling. we have motion sensor lights now and i am usually up until 3:00 in the morning. no trouble since then.

A cr@ppy attitude is inexcusable in ANY profession while dealing with the public.

Just where do you think these people GET their "crappy attitude" from? After so many years in retail, I can tell you, it's from dealing with the public. You try having money thrown at you, being coughed and sneezed on, having your supervisor called to listen to some moron complain because you didn't kiss his a** enough that day, being called all sorts of things because you didn't have the item they were looking for or they want to return something they bought a year ago and THEY lost their receipt (yea, that's MY fault), etc, etc, the list goes on forever. People nowadays think that just because you are in a customer service position they have the right to pi** all over you. For people with these crappy attitudes, I have suddenly been "out of stock" on the items they want.

Then there is the rare person who actually says "Hi, how are ya?" with a smile. Whoa! They are getting the best effort I can give.

It's a two-way street, no matter what profession you are in.

And yes, I can see that what stores call "Quick self check-out" is really an excuse for them to make one person monitor all 4 stations, while you do the work for them. too bad the worker is forced to do 4 jobs and get only 1 paycheck. They aren't fooling anyone. Blame the company for that, not the worker bee who is struggling to put in 40+ a week just to barely support their family. Corporations are cutting back on everything. Blame the greedy top executives who live in nice ocean-view million-dollar homes for that. I am sure they need the extra money. What will happen in this country when people are working 60+ hours a week and still can't buy food to eat or pay their bills and they start to lose everything? American Revolution Part II.

Cops? Well, if I got pulled over, I probably did something stupid, like speeding to get there. Guess I should start leaving a bit earlier, so I don't have to drive like a nut. Sounds like the problems stated here have mostly to do with Euro-cops, and that is a whole different world. Yea, I got stopped on some BS excuse while over in Russia way outside of Moscow, in some little town (sweat THAT one out!), and they literally said my passport "papers were not in order". Nothing a quick $20 didn't fix. ($20 total, bought off both cops!) Any time I get pulled over here at home, first thing I do is smile and try to be as nice as I can, maybe even make a little conversation, try to break up the stressful day the cop has had, sitting in a cruiser and having to deal with morons for the past 8 hours. And there are a lot of moronic drivers out there, we have all seen them, driving like they are James Bond. Being nice to the officer right at the start has helped me to get back on my way, with just a warning. Cops put up with a lot of shtuff you and I will never know about, and see things that you and I would really rather not see. I am glad they are out there. They do so much more than just Traffic Patrol.

Ok, my 2 cents worth. Time to go geocache.

Just where do you think these people GET their "crappy attitude" from? After so many years in retail, I can tell you, it's from dealing with the public. You try having money thrown at you, being coughed and sneezed on, having your supervisor called to listen to some moron complain because you didn't kiss his a** enough that day, being called all sorts of things because you didn't have the item they were looking for or they want to return something they bought a year ago and THEY lost their receipt (yea, that's MY fault), etc, etc, the list goes on forever. People nowadays think that just because you are in a customer service position they have the right to pi** all over you. For people with these crappy attitudes, I have suddenly been "out of stock" on the items they want.

Then there is the rare person who actually says "Hi, how are ya?" with a smile. Whoa! They are getting the best effort I can give.

i work in customer service too. i have been called every name possible. i got called a b***h once because i gave a customer the exact change. i wouldn't give him 2 pennies to make an even ten dollars. the saying the customer is always right shouldn't be carved in stone either. if a customer swears at me or becomes obscene they give up that right. i am not allowed to swear at them, they shouldn't be able to do it to me.

I don't need you to thank me for the job I do, I don't care what people think, I don't do this for the glory and certainly not for the pay, I do it so you can be safe. If you don't like the way I do then you come do my job and see what you think then!

I'll say it. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

About 5 years ago I was camping in the Red River Gorge in Daniel Boone National Forest. At night my Cherokee got broken into. They busted out the passenger window, tried to steal my mountain bike off the bike rack (it was padlocked to the frame) and they only succeeded in scratching the heck out of my paint and rear window. They pretty much took everything in the jeep, including the factory radio (why?).

The things lost, that really bothered me where immaterial to anyone. My baseball glove, my wallet (in the glove box) really the money was inconsequential but the pictures where irreplaceable, and most importantly my sense of trust and security.

Somehow a peaceful camping trip became Deliverance, and I was Ned Beaty. I didn't stop camping there after this. But it took a half dozen nights of staking out my own vehicle at night before I slept comfortably in my camp site again. This may seem weird to some, but I felt amazingly violated, and I was angry.

The experience changed my behavior. I don't leave anything even vaguely important in my car anymore. However, if someone wants to steal, they will. All the security and locks in the world won't keep them out.

Based on my and others' experience with break-ins, this is what I think is really the best solution:

Install an alarm, or at least a flashing light in your car that LOOKS like an alarm. After that, NEVER LOCK THE DOORS. Thieves are not deterred by locks. They will either break the window or destroy the lock with a screwdriver, and then you've got a lot more expense to deal with. The blinking light is simply to deter someone who might not normally be a thief, but seeing an unlocked car, thinks twice. And, of course, realize any valuables you leave in your car are always at risk.

My favorite story: I knew a guy who worked for Lucasfilm as head of the THX licensing division. His car kept getting broken into and his radio stolen. He finally hooked up an alarm to the car and attached a series of piezo-electric squealers under the dash. He rated it at putting out over 140 dB inside the car (that's almost immediate hearing damage). He set the alarm to a delay so he wouldn't set it off accidentally.

A few weeks later, he came out to find his car had been broken into again. But lo and behold, the radio was still intact. His rearview mirror, however, was broken, and there was blood in the car. Apparently the thief quickly got into the car and bent over to work on the radio.. after the delay the alarm kicked on, and the guy jerked up so quickly he smashed his skull open on the rearview mirror. And probably still has ringing ears to this day. B):D

I know how bad it feels to have things stolen. I have had three bicycles stolen, two gas cans from the carport, and a $1,000 set of wheels and tires for my car. The police have yet to recover any of my stolen property. They do, however, seem adept at giving out tickets. It's a lot easier to cacth someone in the act than it is to follow a trail. What really bothers me is the last ticket I recieved for having dark window tint. The cop had tint on their cruiser! This is a ridiculous double standard. The law is supposed to protect cops from being shot by people with guns who are invisible behind the tint. Well, every cop carries a gun. So why do they get to hide behind tint? Just yesterday I was passed by a cop with no lights on going at least 20 miles over the posted speed limit. If it was an emergency, the lights should be on to alert other drivers that there is someone travelling at a high rate of speed. If it was not an emergency, then that person was abusing their power. Wherever they were going in such a hurry is no more important than my destination. How can we respect the people we pay to protect us, when they scoff at the very laws they are paid to uphold?

The last ticket I got before the tint was on the way to place a cache. The guy let the expensive car in front of me slip by. I got the ticket. Just another example of the people who can least afford to pay stuff, compared to those that can yet never do. It would be nice if fines were a percentage of net worth, rather than a fixed amount. Then the guy in the BMW would be shelling out $10,000 or so for his speeding tickets. Seems fair to me.

It would be nice if fines were a percentage of net worth, rather than a fixed amount.

I WISH!!!!

If fines were a percentage of net worth, I'd go 130mph everywhere I went! Every time I got pulled over, the government would have to pay ME!!!

I know how bad it feels to have things stolen. I have had three bicycles stolen, two gas cans from the carport, and a $1,000 set of wheels and tires for my car. The police have yet to recover any of my stolen property. They do, however, seem adept at giving out tickets. It's a lot easier to cacth someone in the act than it is to follow a trail. What really bothers me is the last ticket I recieved for having dark window tint. The cop had tint on their cruiser! This is a ridiculous double standard. The law is supposed to protect cops from being shot by people with guns who are invisible behind the tint. Well, every cop carries a gun. So why do they get to hide behind tint? Just yesterday I was passed by a cop with no lights on going at least 20 miles over the posted speed limit. If it was an emergency, the lights should be on to alert other drivers that there is someone travelling at a high rate of speed. If it was not an emergency, then that person was abusing their power. Wherever they were going in such a hurry is no more important than my destination. How can we respect the people we pay to protect us, when they scoff at the very laws they are paid to uphold?

The last ticket I got before the tint was on the way to place a cache. The guy let the expensive car in front of me slip by. I got the ticket. Just another example of the people who can least afford to pay stuff, compared to those that can yet never do. It would be nice if fines were a percentage of net worth, rather than a fixed amount. Then the guy in the BMW would be shelling out $10,000 or so for his speeding tickets. Seems fair to me.

I agree 100% with you on fines being a percentage of people's worth/income. I was just thinking about this the other day. The cynical part of me figured it would never happen in this country because it would be far too fair. As for the other things you mentioned, I don't agree as much.

If you see a cop breaking the law, for heaven's sake, report it! I used to have a police scanner, and I remember hearing the police issuing some local fire department guys a ticket for turning on their emergency lights just to go through a red light. They're not immune, but unless you report it, no one will ever get in any trouble.

As for the BMW... feh. You're just upset because when the two of you broke the law, you're the one who got punished. If you HADN'T broken the law, I'd feel some pity, but otherwise, you're getting none from me on this one. You break the law, you take the risk. :D

As for the BMW... feh. You're just upset because when the two of you broke the law, you're the one who got punished. If you HADN'T broken the law, I'd feel some pity, but otherwise, you're getting none from me on this one. You break the law, you take the risk.
Agreed, I did exceed the speed limit. But what kind of law is it when it only applies to some people? If you're going to let some people speed, you have to let everyone do it. Yes, I'm upset that I got caught. I'd be a lot less upset if the guy in front of me got caught as well. So, what lesson did I learn? The one I'm supposed to learn is that of you speed, you will be fined. The one I learned is you can get away with more or less traffic violations depending on the cop's perceptions of you based on your appearance, and that of your vehicle. :D
The things lost, that really bothered me where immaterial to anyone. My baseball glove, my wallet (in the glove box) really the money was inconsequential but the pictures where irreplaceable, and most importantly my sense of trust and security.

Somehow a peaceful camping trip became Deliverance, and I was Ned Beaty. ... This may seem weird to some, but I felt amazingly violated, and I was angry.

OK, breakins are one thing, and I sincerely understand your feeling violated. But really, burlaries are nothing personal. All they want is your stuff. It's another thing all together to have a gun shoved in your face. I've been robbed at gunpoint 5 times (managing pizza joints in my younger days.) Now that's hard not to take personally! And it was such a bad part of Houton (Telephone Rd, near Hobby Airport) that one time, when we called for the cops to come, they never showed up. They did call us back three hours later to tell us that they would send a form for us to fill out and mail in. Evidently, even they were afraid to come out to our location. Protect and serve? Hardly. But I guess at that point, since the robbers were gone, they must have figured we didn't need protection anymore.

And yes, I worked retail for 15 years. The various stores I worked in got burlged a total of 13 times. My varous places I called home, in different cities, have been burgled 4 times. My car has been broken into twice and I was mugged once on the street (also Houston.) For awhile there, I was sure I was listed in the yellow pages under 'Victims.' I've gone to court for my stores to prosecute 7 employees for internal theft, and more than 100 shoplifters, and lost only once, for lack of evidence. Only one of the perps got time. 3-5 years, because he had 4 priors.

And as a retail manager, I've been on the recieving end of every insane, drunken irate nutcase imaginable. I've had my entire crew of 15 walk out after one robbery, and my distric manager still said I have to keep the joint open, with no one but myself to run it!

So excuse me if I'm a bit jaded on this topic. Still I have every respect for the job most cops try to do for us. Because as bad as the crap I've seen was, I know they deal with much worse every day, probably for less money than some of the mgt positions I've held. I can only imagine what that would be like and I'm thankful I'm not them.

Agreed, I did exceed the speed limit. But what kind of law is it when it only applies to some people? If you're going to let some people speed, you have to let everyone do it. Yes, I'm upset that I got caught. I'd be a lot less upset if the guy in front of me got caught as well. So, what lesson did I learn? The one I'm supposed to learn is that of you speed, you will be fined. The one I learned is you can get away with more or less traffic violations depending on the cop's perceptions of you based on your appearance, and that of your vehicle. B)

What you should have learned was "Don't be the last car in a line of speeders" :D

We had our garage broke into 5 years ago. I heard crashing noises coming from the garage, my brother went our there with his gun(it was 10:00pm). It turned out to be 7 kids between 8 and 12 years old. Meanwhile I called the cops who arrived in about 5 minutes. The cops got all the information from both sides ( kids said they were looking for a shortcut???) anyways the cops gave the kids a lecture about trespassing and then him and a second car took the kids home. 40 minutes later the cops show back up at our house and arrest my brother for brandishing a weapon. :D Charges were later dropped.

It turns out the parent were upset that the kids were confronted by a man with a gun in his garage and not that they broke into the garage and my car.

The next day I try to get the information from the cops on who the kids were so that I can get thier parents can pay for the damage($200. for garage $600. for my car B) ) The cops can't give me that info, the kids are concidered victims in this case.

In the end my brother spent 2 hours in police custody. I'm out $800.. And 7 kids got away with a crime.

Install an alarm, or at least a flashing light in your car that LOOKS like an alarm. After that, NEVER LOCK THE DOORS. Thieves are not deterred by locks. They will either break the window or destroy the lock with a screwdriver, and then you've got a lot more expense to deal with.

Problem with that theory is if the car is not locked and they do open the door and go in and cut themself on something or they go in and steal the car and then get in a wreck they CAN sue YOU for attractive nuesance!!

Agreed, I did exceed the speed limit. But what kind of law is it when it only applies to some people? If you're going to let some people speed, you have to let everyone do it. Yes, I'm upset that I got caught. I'd be a lot less upset if the guy in front of me got caught as well.

Have you ever gone fishing? Did you catch all the fish in the ocean/lake/stream?

So, what lesson did I learn? The one I'm supposed to learn is that of you speed, you will be fined. The one I learned is you can get away with more or less traffic violations depending on the cop's perceptions of you based on your appearance, and that of your vehicle. :D

Is that just your belief why the other guy got away and you didn't, or is there any facts to back it up?

If the speeding ticket was based on radar, the cop may not have been able to ticket the first driver because you were also within the radar's view. He could not have issued a ticket that would have stuck without lying in court. But once the first guy cleared the area, the cop had a nice shot at you and got the reading he needed while meeting all rules for the proper operation of the unit. Maybe that fits your situation, maybe not. But I use it as an example of what might have happened.

What really bothers me is the last ticket I received for having dark window tint. The cop had tint on their cruiser! This is a ridiculous double standard. The law is supposed to protect cops from being shot by people with guns who are invisible behind the tint. Well, every cop carries a gun. So why do they get to hide behind tint?

Cops don't shoot cops. Cops don't even stop other cops. :D So why should they feel threatened by dark tint on a cop car? You even admitted it's to protect the cops, not you.

Just yesterday I was passed by a cop with no lights on going at least 20 miles over the posted speed limit.

He may have been on a call. There are times when they do NOT use lights and/or siren. That just alerts the perps to flee.

If you felt that it was wrong then by all means you should have reported it. Failure to report just shows the cops they can get away with it.

Cops don't even stop other cops.
That's exactly why they get away with all the traffic violations.
Cops don't shoot cops.
Neither do I, yet I can't have tint on my windows.
He may have been on a call. There are times when they do NOT use lights and/or siren. That just alerts the perps to flee.

Not in that situation. He was on a highway. There were no "perps" anywhere near. If it is necessary to leave the sirens and lights off whenever they are afraid it might scare off the bad guys, I'd rather not spend my tax money on all the fancy equipment.
If you felt that it was wrong then by all means you should have reported it. Failure to report just shows the cops they can get away with it.
Report it to whom? The cops?
Finally, radar is a flawed system if it requires letting the lead car get away to catch whoever is following.

It may not happen in our lifetime, but eventually there will be a need for widespread reform.

Bloencustoms, how does 116,000 euros ($145,000 approx in today's US $) sound for a speeding ticket? The head of Nokia had to pay this much for travelling 75 km/h (47 mph) in a 50km/h (31 mph) zone in Helsinki, Finland in 2001. I guess the Finn's do fine people according to their wealth.

Here is the BBC story:

Nokia boss gets record speeding fine

Ciao

RooBoy

My brother was working with that guy when he got busted last October! My brother is a customer service/field tech for a large worldwide communications test equipment manufacturer, and does the field repairs and training for Nokia. He called me a few days later and told me about that ticket, I just about flipped!

That's true. In Wichita, the police are only allowed to run hot (lights and siren) en route to an "officer in trouble" call, or during a pursuit. The department policy when responding to emergency calls such as robbery, burglary, etc that is still in progress is to run silent, but expedite en route. There has not been one accident involving an officer running silent to a call (always faster than the rest of the traffic) in over 10 years.

Pursuit accidents (while running lights and sirens) are much, much more common. In 10 years of working EMS, I've seen lots of people totally freak out when they hear a siren, and do very unexpected things, such as slamming on the brakes in the middle of the road, swerving left suddenly, instead of pulling slowly to the right, running red lights and stop signs because they are too busy looking for the source of the siren instead of paying attention to the road. I was never involved in an accident in the ambulance, but a lot of my co-workers were, some quite seriously.

Now...back to the topic. Theft of personal property is akin to being raped. Your personal space has been violated, your personal sanctuary has been invaded, and all of your vulnerabilities have been exposed. You cannot prevent it, only do things to make it harder. Thank goodness Kansas has self-protection laws that allow homeowners to shoot and kill intruders, or I most likely wouldn't be posting this.....nuff sed.

We had our garage broke into 5 years ago. I heard crashing noises coming from the garage, my brother went our there with his gun(it was 10:00pm). It turned out to be 7 kids between 8 and 12 years old. Meanwhile I called the cops who arrived in about 5 minutes. The cops got all the information from both sides ( kids said they were looking for a shortcut???) anyways the cops gave the kids a lecture about trespassing and then him and a second car took the kids home. 40 minutes later the cops show back up at our house and arrest my brother for brandishing a weapon. :D Charges were later dropped.

It turns out the parent were upset that the kids were confronted by a man with a gun in his garage and not that they broke into the garage and my car.

The next day I try to get the information from the cops on who the kids were so that I can get thier parents can pay for the damage($200. for garage $600. for my car B) ) The cops can't give me that info, the kids are concidered victims in this case.

In the end my brother spent 2 hours in police custody. I'm out $800.. And 7 kids got away with a crime.

Well, if he'd shot a few of them, it would have been worse, but, I'll bet it was tempting!!!

And yes, I can see that what stores call "Quick self check-out" is really an excuse for them to make one person monitor all 4 stations, while you do the work for them. too bad the worker is forced to do 4 jobs and get only 1 paycheck. They aren't fooling anyone. Blame the company for that, not the worker bee who is struggling to put in 40+ a week just to barely support their family. Corporations are cutting back on everything. Blame the greedy top executives who live in nice ocean-view million-dollar homes for that. I am sure they need the extra money. What will happen in this country when people are working 60+ hours a week and still can't buy food to eat or pay their bills and they start to lose everything? American Revolution Part II.

Amen brother!!!

I've spent way too much time in retail, and I've seen it all. Even one guy getting steamed when he found out he couldn't buy one of the animals out of an exhibit at an aquarium I worked at! Some people! Sheesh..... :D

And the whole thing about working 60+ hours a week, I know that one too well. Putting myself through college put me into some major debt, so it's mostly all work, no cache(and cash too!) for the time being.

The only thing that keeps me sane is knowing that the corporate [expletive deleted] B) will be the first with their backs against the wall when the revolution comes! B):D:grin:

I would like to agree with the venting area of the message area.

We have been to several Caches lately and it looks like someone has cleaned out there car and placed them in the caches. It is a big disappointment for our kids when we open the cache and they are filled with used receipts from groceries, half used lip stick, used concert and event tickets.

Anyhow I just wished everyone respected the fun of this and didnt leave trash in them

SFDFM7

We went to a new cache today and found it full of brand-new, still in the original package, toys! The kids were so happy. I was glad we brought a new packaged toy to trade. The cache desciption said:

cache is a large tupperware box,inside a black plastic bag.

is loaded with goodies for the little ones.

It didn't mention those goodies would all be brand new.

I am not mad, but the person whom I archived his cache is. You see his cache was placed on railroad property, I work for this same railroad. I know what they do to people like us. The cache was not in a real bad spot, but driving into it was. Plane and simple it was on railroad property, Like within arms reach of live railroad tracks for about 50 to 75 yards. So I tried to explain why it was in a bad spot, and he just did not understand why it could not be there. I give him a week to get it removed on his own or I would suggest that it be archived. I do not like to go that route, cause I knew what it would entail, mainly him mad at me. A week came and went so 1 week ago Friday I suggested it be archived. I like to try to keep caches around, I have even adopted 2 so they would not get archived. . So I guess he is mad and with right, I archived his cache. I sent him an email at the suggestion of MTN-MAN to mayby look for an alturnative, but I have not heard from him. But I guess sometimes you just have to be the bad guy. MTN-MAN sent a link to an incident that happened out in California about this same scenario. and that one was ugly. So what would you have done? Would you have waited for something BAD to happen or jump in the middle like I did and get the cache removed,? And have this guy mad at you? :D I do feel bad that I had to go this route, and I am prepared for the fallout from him, but in my mind I did the right thing. P.S. here's that link

AEOLUSZEPHYRUS

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...?ID=21328&log=y

Edited by AEOLUSZEPHYRUS
Just where do you think these people GET their "crappy attitude" from?

Usually it comes from lack of propper training, some times it is just a pure lack of manners, or something going on in their personal lives that have made them bitter, and they cannot remember how to deal with people. Usually, not always.

After so many years in retail, I can tell you, it's from dealing with the public.

I know how you feel. After working in retail for many years, I felt the same way. After thinking about it, I found that most of the time a rude customer can be changed into a nice customer by treating him/her the same way you enjoy being treated. Even if they hit you with rudeness first for no reason, yes it is very hard. They have usually just received bad service just before coming to see you, and you are already “the bad Guy”. After being treated nicely for a moment they usually, not always, come around.

You try having money thrown at you, being coughed and sneezed on, having your supervisor called to listen to some moron complain because you didn't kiss his a** enough that day, being called all sorts of things because you didn't have the item they were looking for or they want to return something they bought a year ago and THEY lost their receipt (yea, that's MY fault), etc, etc, the list goes on forever.

I have worked with the public for around 20 years, you are crying to the wrong guy. So this gives you the right to give cr@ppy service and attitude to all the other customers? Come on, get over yourself. Just like it is not fair for them to give you cr@p because they are having a bad day, or the last person at the last store was a jerk to them. There is NEVER an excuse for this. If you are that bitter, think about another profession. Blah blah blah, after 20 years I think I have seen just about any scenario you can come up with. If you really want to tick someone off that is being a jerk. “Kill’em with kindness”. If they are belligerent, walk away, if they refuse to leave the location, call the police. There are polite ways to deal with everything

People nowadays think that just because you are in a customer service position they have the right to pi** all over you. For people with these crappy attitudes, I have suddenly been "out of stock" on the items they want.

This is an interesting statement. Honestly, is this the rule or the exception? How much of this perception is based on the mood you are when you start your shift. Do you notice this more on days when your spouse/boy/girl-friend has done something wrong? I tend to notice these people more when I myself am in a sour mood. Maybe it is just me.

Bless your little heart, you are doing the job you accepted and agreed to do. That customer probably left saying, Whoa! That was a rare customer service experience. I just received the best that person had to offer

You are right it is a two way street. Make it a game, or a personal challenge to turn these jerks into happy satisfied customers. Have fun trying to control their mood. After all, sales is control. If all else fails, kill’em with kindness, that really gets to them. The key is to appear sincere, not condescending.

Sounds like the problems stated here have mostly to do with Euro-cops, and that is a whole different world.

As far as the cars go, I live in Texas, so I doubt it was a problem with Euro Police. The cars were European, but the situations happened in Texas.

Did you notice a difference in the way you felt after reading the different responses? Some were empathetic, but still showed a difference in opinion, and some were just downright argumentative. There is always more than one way to deal with a situation. There are always a few ways that are guaranteed to have a negative outcome.

I too am just venting, so I am still on topic.

happy caching, see ya on the trails

I am not mad, but the person whom I archived his cache is. You see his cache was placed on railroad property, I work for this same railroad. I know what they do to people like us. The cache was not in a real bad spot, but driving into it was. Plane and simple it was on railroad property, Like within arms reach of live railroad tracks for about 50 to 75 yards. So I tried to explain why it was in a bad spot, and he just did not understand why it could not be there. I give him a week to get it removed on his own or I would suggest that it be archived. I do not like to go that route, cause I knew what it would entail, mainly him mad at me. A week came and went so 1 week ago Friday I suggested it be archived. I like to try to keep caches around, I have even adopted 2 so they would not get archived. . So I guess he is mad and with right, I archived his cache. I sent him an email at the suggestion of MTN-MAN to mayby look for an alturnative, but I have not heard from him. But I guess sometimes you just have to be the bad guy. MTN-MAN sent a link to an incident that happened out in California about this same scenario. and that one was ugly. So what would you have done? Would you have waited for something BAD to happen or jump in the middle like I did and get the cache removed,? And have this guy mad at you? :D I do feel bad that I had to go this route, and I am prepared for the fallout from him, but in my mind I did the right thing. P.S. here's that link

AEOLUSZEPHYRUS

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...?ID=21328&log=y

Looks like you did the right thing. Whoever approved the cache in the first place might not have known how close it was to the tracks (maps are only so accurate). Thanks for looking out for the safety of cachers.

Dodgermp - actually I have gotten pulled over and did not deserve it.

example: I was coming out of a gas station there was a building to my right that blocked the view of the street (*) I pulled out to the left and a cop decided to pull me over...

police - "You know why I pulled you over?, license.

me - "I know why You think I should be pulled over"

police - "You pulled out of the gas station without stopping"

me - "No, I stopped at the crosswalk(*) then preceded up to the street where you on the left of me saw me enter."

police " (looks over at gas station)Well let this be a warning to you" (walks off

At any rate, I work with Police every night and My father-in-law is a cop so I have great respect for those of you who do their job right, leave it to a few morons to screw it up. And by the way I speed everywhere I go sometime over 100mphs, I got pulled over two weeks ago, the cop cursed at me then told me to go - no ticket :D

Cherokeecacher - Being ignorant of the law is not an excuse.

You own the car it is YOUR responsibility to make sure everything is legal. The law states two tail lights in working order not two taillights in working order on all USA models except are the foreign cars.

Hikemeister -

(Megamog @ Feb 8 2004, 01:24 AM)

"The police are morons and should have never told you it was your screwdriver"

Are you kidding? The police are "morons" because they told him something that might possibly help prevent the same thing from happening again? I don't follow that logic.

What don't you understand? The part were the cop told a kid it was all his fault and he should carry that burden around for the rest of his life

OR the part where his parents let the cop do it and never told him it wasn't his fault it could have happened anyways?

I mean really You don't have to be A rocket scientist.

Bloencustoms -

I was passed by a cop with no lights on going at least 20 miles over the posted speed limit. If it was an emergency, the lights should be on to alert other drivers that there is someone traveling at a high rate of speed. If it was not an emergency, then that person was abusing their power.

Would you like the police to shout out there window "HEY CRIMINAL, I AM ON MY WAY TO THE HOUSE YOU JUST BROKE INTO PLEASE SIT AND WAIT FOR ME!!!" there are any number of reasons why a police officer would not use their light or sirens, It's the ones that pull into the donut shop that get me every time.

also the cop might actually be doing work in his car and not see the car that just passed him going to fast so he waits for the next.

OR he decides not to get hit by pulling out in front of you speeding, so when he does pull out your the first one he comes to.

Geckogeek -

Cops don't even stop other cops

Obviously you have never met a Cleveland cop named Simone, hi has ticketed other cops for speeding, parking, lights he even gave his own mother a speeding ticket on Sunday in front of his church.

I'd rather not spend my tax money on all the fancy equipment
Then what will they do ring a bell?

Seriously, I am sorry to report the I was on the other side of the law growing up and probably deserve everything that is coming to me in life.

I am happily married now and my wife was my key to finding my salvation. Now I work with cops to keep the streets safe, I am a professional driver and I can do things in a vehicle that other people only dream about. It does not give me the right to speed and I never said it did, but when I do my customers are always happier.

When dealing with the public I am true to my nature, if you treat me good I will treat you good, but don't get on my bad side a 6'5"ft man is nothing to mess around with. I got an idiot today who I laid out the red carpet for, drives a Lexus has a platinum card - he didn't even tip.

Your garage is not safe period. If you feel comfortable with the way you have it great if not then do something to make you feel safer.

The guy holding a gun to some kids head should be shot, they guy saying that he should and probably wanted to should be shot.

You guys were kids once, you know how easy it is to get cought up in something even if you had no intention of doing it.

Working 60+ hours a week is pretty bad I have learned priorities in life that lets me life a rich life with little money. No credit cards, No cable TV, no new cars, and never buy anything you can't afford. My house note was based off of how much money one check for my wife OR me is for one pay period leaving us with 1- 2 checks for everything else. then the others check to do with whatever.

College, Listen up I will only write this once:

Scr*w the Corporations, You want to goto college for free get a job; Get a credit card make regular payments charge all school studies to card when you max out get another and then another graduate in 4 yrs before you run out of credit get the diploma in your hand. file for bankruptcy = free college. in 2 years every credit company in the world will want you as you can't file for bankrupts for 7 years. buy everything else with cash!!

Joe

Edited by Megamog
Cops don't shoot cops.

Yeah, and printing "this is not a bomb" makes a ammo can not a bomb.

Not in that situation. He was on a highway. There were no "perps" anywhere near. If it is necessary to leave the sirens and lights off whenever they are afraid it might scare off the bad guys, I'd rather not spend my tax money on all the fancy equipment.

It all depends on the situation. There is no one response for every kind of call that police answer to.

Report it to whom? The cops

There are places to report police misconduct. Either Internal Affairs or some commission over the Police dept. Or the newspapers may have a ombudsman that can get you a good answer.

Finally, radar is a flawed system if it requires letting the lead car get away to catch whoever is following.

Yes, radar is flawed. So far what I'm getting from you is that just because you got a ticket for speeding so should the guy in front of you who was also speeding. In a perfect world, yes. But so what? You were wrong. You admit it. You got what was coming to you. Live with it.

It may not happen in our lifetime, but eventually there will be a need for widespread reform.

Careful what you ask for ...... You might get VanCam. That sucker will ticket everyone and the ticket comes a few days later in the mail. Then again, the government may decide to put GPS on every car and you get a ticket every time you speed even if there's no one around to see you. Either of these will "solve" your problem about fairness, but I doubt if you will be any happier.

Edited by GeckoGeek

Were any of the 3 bikes identified with either etched serial numbers or the PD-issued serial stickers? Did you have LoJack on your gas cans? If the rims didn't have some sort of tracking device or identifier that clearly labeled them as yours, I wouldn't expect to get them back. A vehicle is easier to track because of multiple VINs and alarm systems that today are sophisticated enough to be controlled from cellphones and computers via the same resources we use for Geocaching. It's not the cops fault for that being the case, as things like rights prevent officers from simply busting into homes to look for stolen property.

You say that you were stopped for having dark tint on your vehicle, but that the officer merely had tint. I don't see where the double standard is for an officer to have tint, while yours was identified as dark (by you), implying that yours clearly was darker than that on the patrol car. There are some police vehicles that do have tint that by legal standards would be classified as illegal. These are undercover cars or 'aggressive driving' cars. In order to remain incognito, the tint is required to shield their uniforms from violators to actually catch them in the act. Now, it is correct that tint laws are aimed at protecting primarily police officers. Just because they carry weapons, this does not invoke some mystery clairvoyance by being in the presence of smokeless powder, brass and firing pins. The mere presence of a firearm on their duty belt hardly protects them from being shot by someone 'hiding behind the tint'.

Bob Martin was killed in this manner, and another officer just a few months ago was also shot by someone hiding behind the tint. Fortunately, a keen set of eyes picked up on some shadow movements and he was not seriously hurt. If you've ever wondered why your driver side mirror is blinded by the spotlight and why the takedowns are blinding the rest of your rear view vision, this is the reason.

These days, drivers on the highway often dumb-down when they see an officer approaching with lights/siren, seemingly confused as to whether or not they are being pulled over, or if there is an emergency. As a result, they don't move, or shift from left to right trying to decide which shoulder they should pull over to. More often than not, even when responding to serious collisions (they aren't 'accidents'), Code 2 might be a stretch, with only deck lights on, and not forward overheads. Code 3 is more rare, for the reasons I stated in the beginning of this paragraph. I've seen officers personally resort to Code 3 only when someone who is too busy eating McD's or talking on their cellphone and doesn't notice the patrol car behind them. Even then, it might not work. Do some abuse their power? Yes. Do some corporate bigwigs abuse THEIR power? Yes. But don't put them all officers in the same pile just based on one or a few tainted experiences. More often than not, officers will respond to what they are shown with equal respect (or lack thereof).

That being said, if tickets were proportionate to income, I wouldn't complain. It would certainly put a crimp on driver's in certain luxury cars that use our freeways as test tracks for top speed.

That's exactly why they get away with all the traffic violations.

Ok. Since when did the crystal ball become an accessory in a police vehicle to identify other officers in their regular vehicles? They most certainly DO get pulled over, and sometimes they don't get tickets under the guise of 'professional courtesy'. Some see that as abuse, others a perk. A good friend of mine, as a NM State Trooper stopped a Texas State Trooper who at first refused to even talk or roll down his window, opting to smack his flatbadge against the window. Once he finally rolled the window down, my buddy was berated with the "who do you think you are?" speech. The guy wasn't issued a ticket, but his badge was confiscated and the officer's sgt had to call to get it back. The Texas State Trooper isn't anymore.

Cops don't shoot cops.

They don't?

Read about Sgt. Michael L. Crowe about 2/3 down the page.

Well, do you know if there was a collision ahead X miles that he needed to get to in a hurry, or that he was backing up an officer who needed help, but not life-threatening? As I stated in another post about the same issue(s), commuters either ignore or have too much going in their vehicle and fail to pay attention. The addition of a siren only spooks and makes things worse. But the use of lights/siren sometimes boils down to personal preference, unless policy dictates specifically what is done under certain situations.

Report it to whom? The cops

Yes, the cops. Internal Affairs exists for a reason, and they don't stack the deck in favor of the officer, leaving it equal on both sides. Whoever was in the wrong is dealt with as needed.

Radar on a horizontal plane is inherently flawed in that it is incapable of piercing other vehicles to get one ahead of the vehicle first painted. In legal terms, line-of-sight plays in when going to court. Lawyers would eat the l-o-s issue for lunch, and court time/officer time/violator time would all be wasted. The day we get A.W.A.C.S. for law enforcement is the day that nobody is safe from speeding tickets. I've been told that I was stopped for speeding because I slowed down to turn and was easier to catch. Did that upset me? Only for the reason that I got caught, but I was still violating the law so my anger was pointless.

The difference between firefighters and police officers continues. Everyone loves firefighters and hails them as heroes. Many people seem to hate police officers because they're only talking to you when you've done something wrong, to tell you about a family member's death, or a slew of other reasons. But, the moment your life is threatened or you are involved in a serious collision, you want them there instantly, and anger when they don't get there quickly enough. There's always going to be a perception that officers 'look out for their own'. Well, in all reality, so do firefighters, military personnel, and countless other 'groups'. Again, in some cases this does happen, but not every single one. The public seems to have a perception that unless what happens isn't what they want to see happens, that it reeks of a cover-up. Never being able to please everyone, everytime applies here. :D In no way though, am I implying that any of the specific groups I've mentioned are corrupt. Looking out for your own is IMHO taken as a protection, not keeper of secrets.

Edited by Brian - Team A.I.
Cherokeecacher - Being ignorant of the law is not an excuse.

You own the car it is YOUR responsibility to make sure everything is legal. The law states two tail lights in working order not two taillights in working order on all USA models except are the foreign cars.

Hey megamoq,

Your ignorance of this topic is showing. On a European car, weather it is made for export to the USA, or is Gray Market, Have all passed the same set of regulations as a Chevy. Trust me on this. I worked for a facility that did Euro – USA safety conversions, and we were lisenced by the USA Government. I think I am well aware of the different laws and guidelines in this area.

If you turn on the rear fog lamps in a euro-manufactured car, IN ADDITION to the regular tail lamps, the one on the driver side is brighter than ALL the rest. This is perfectly legal in all 50 states and according to federal law.

Before making such an allegation, make sure you understand the subject being discussed. You have the same “Know it all” attitude of the police I am specifically referring to