Does High Gas Prices Curtail Your Geocaching?

CoronaKid

Yes, it does curtail ours. Three kids = no Geo Metro... I wouldn't trust even my life in one on the highway, anyway. icon_eek.gif I won't bother stereotyping the drivers out here in the Bay Area, either. Those that live the dream, know what I mean. icon_biggrin.gif

Our Beast has been napping a bit more than usual, lately - but there's other things in life. icon_biggrin.gif

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

Tank at: FISH WHISPERER'S LAGOON

quote:
Originally posted by maleki:

Get a Geo Metro for GeoCaching... 40+mpg

That sounds really good. A Geo Metro can go over two foot high jagged rocks on dirt roads, right?

One foot?

Six inch rocks?

Gravel? icon_biggrin.gif

My bronco gets 14mpg, but to lower my fill-up price I impacted my gas tank so that it holds less fuel. Always thinking. icon_wink.gif

I just did a couple of caches in Belgium, where the gas was about $4.50 a gallon, or about the price of a pair of two liters bottles of soda in the US. Maybe if gas were as high here, we'd see more of an effort from our government and auto industries to push for higher mileage standards and affordable alternative motors. SUV's don't have to be gas guzzlers, given a bit of inventive and forward thinking...

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

There are plenty of other things I can give up before I stop driving. With my car I get good mileage, great off road ability - for this area it's just fine, and room for everything inside and out without hogging the road. carsboats_03.JPG

Now the snow, that is putting a hurt on my driving and caching!

Think Spring.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

A little bit off topic, but does anyone remember when there use to be gas wars? That was the only time my mother would let me drive alone. To go get gas. Of course I took the long way!! icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, compared to the 70's, as mentioned aboved, $1.60/1.70 is nothing. Gas was about $4 in Portugal 14 years ago. Wait a few weeks or months & watch the prices soar.^^^^^^^..

Although it won't keep us prisoners, it may effect the distant we travel for a cache.

rocker51

My old 4x4 pickup gets a whopping 10 mpg, so I've been stealing the wife's Geo Prizm for a little cache hunting. Gas prices in our area are still a bit lower than the folks up north or out in Kalifornia. Filled up today and "regular" was $1.51 per gallon.

I've got a couple of caches I'd like to find in some pretty rough, mountain terrain. So I guesss I'll just have to walk further (with her car) or spend more(with the truck).

Of course it is kinda cool geocaching in a Geo. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by fishin'fool:

I live in the very northwest corner of california(klamath)and the price is $1.95 gal. as of today and rising.I was just curious as to the price of gas elsewhere? icon_eek.gif

Here in Santa Barbara, CA the gas prices are a little higher, the lowest grade gas is now hovering at just over $2.00 although there are still some places that have been stuck on $1.99 for awhile.

As for me, I would rather drive long distances to do anything since my car strangly gets 150 miles per tank better on highway versus city driving (which is HUGE) thanks to some mystery problem....and it being 14 years old now. As long as it is still running I can't complain! icon_wink.gif

I bought a Subaru Forester to get AWD but still get better than 20MPG. Come warmer weather I switch to my Honda Gold Wing (40mpg) or Yamaha Maxim(45-50mpg) If I really get desperate, I could go back to my first motorcycle, a Honda 50, that got way over 100mpg.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Gas prices have always been on the cheap side around here (a couple months ago I was paying $1.19 at the cheapest place in town), and I know that gas almost always costs more on an island. I was caching on Vashon Island yesterday and came across the the highest prices I've ever seen in person.

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

quote:
Originally posted by Natureboy1376:

Since my car did get good gas milage before it was stolen lastnight in good ol' Providence. I have a question? How is the forestor, thats what I'm thinking about getting? email me...

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

I love the Forester. It is great in snow, nothing is good on ice. I had the opportunity to go up two steep, very muddy, driveways last week showing homes and had no problem. Had to back down one 300 foot mud slope too, no problem. The back seats fold down for putting big stuff in back, 1/3 and 2/3 seats (one back is wider than the other), it comes with a full sized spare tire, with an ice bucket. Optional heated seats (I didn't get but wish I had) handles well, I took it off road down a "path" in the woods, and although I was rather nervous about it because the car was only a few weeks old at the time, I was rather happy that I could go into the woods. Took it to Vermont and went caching by myself down some snowy dirt roads, no problem. I carry clients in the car and they are comfortable and like the ride. It was recalled for a transmission bar (when put it park it might not actually be in park) but that has been fixed and took only a couple hours to fix along with an oil change and tire rotation) And I can fill the back up with my geostash and pull a cover over to hide it all when I'm working. And the dash board is perfect for propping my GPS up with no holder, it wedges in just fine and stays put and the steering wheel is adjustable so I can view the GPs without craning my neck. It's not the most pwerful car but I don't need that much power. It has a roof rack for my boats (kayak and canoe) and to tie down all the inner tubes for river running trips. Lots of nooks and crannies for all kinds of storage. I have an automatic. It's good on the highway, plenty of pick up. I am very happy with it and the mann says I finally got a good car for my personality. I had a Ford Taurus before this and sold him my GMC S15 pickup truck when I went into real estate. The S15 is bad in snow, no weight in the back. You can read about the Forester right here . I have a 2002. I don't know if the recall affects the 2003 or not. I hope this helps, and sorry to hear about your car. Oh and we're paying $1.71 per gallon here now.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

[This message was edited by Planet on February 26, 2003 at 06:49 AM.]

Just have to pay more at the pump but it hasn't slowed me down though the weather has! My 351 powered truck is a gas hog but that is why she has two tanks on it! Filled up yesterday and put in $51 in gas... icon_eek.gifouch but I don't have to fill as often! If I wasn't driving to geocaching, I would be driving to trails for Mt. Biking or going rock hunting!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Well, as of yesterday gas prices have definitely put a hold on some of my caching. I used half a tank of gas looking for another access to a cache other than crossing some deep water. Turns out the only other access was thru a private gated community. There was no mention of the deep water in the cache listing. So needless to say I lost the gas for a DNF. My Jeep doesn't do so well on gas mileage and buying another car isn't an option. So for now I'm just gonna have to take it easy on the driving. But I've pretty much found all of the caches in my local area anyway. Guess I'll just focus more on keeping my eyes open for good hiding spots when I'm out now.

---------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS

http://www.kjjeep.com

As of this week it's beginning to hurt. I own a Land Rover, and when the gas prices struck the $2 mark here in Northern California I began to flinch at the pumps. The other bummer is that there are acutally VERY few caches in my local area. I have to drive 20-40 miles to get into any cache populated areas. It probably won't slow me down too much, but I wish it were not so.

TerraX

Nope, the high fuel prices do not keep me from cache hunting.

Instead, it cuts into my fast food budget as I spend *that* money on gas. icon_smile.gif

Getting more excercise outdoors was one of the reasons I started cache hunting in the first place. If the cost of it keeps me from eating junk food too, all the better, right?

'99 Silverado 17mpg

hdval2.jpg

SA / PP-ASEL-I

quote:
Originally posted by The Wombles:

A full tank of petrol (gas) in my car costs £60 or $90.

And I still do 30,000 miles a year and lots of caching.

Dave

Well, maybe the answer to your gas prices is to have your government invade and take over an oil producing country... I bet I just opened a whole can of worms with that one icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.