Wrong to log your own cache?

Never log a find on your own cache unless its a traveling cache where someone else gets a chance to move and hide it. If you place a traveling cache and someone has moved it then its ok but only then other than that like mentioned log a note.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Hammack:

I've seen guys log a find on their own cache. That doesn't seem right. What do you think?

I guess it would be OK if you had a multiple personality.

No it wouldn’t, you’ve got a screw loose.

But what if you forgot where it was hidden and I really had to look for it?

How could you forget my own cache location! You’re an idiot.

You take that back!

Bite me……er…you!

I’m going to kick your a$$!

Ow! Stop it!

I got more where that came from.

I’m telling!

OK, sorry.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:

I've seen guys log a find on their own cache. That doesn't seem right. What do you think?

I would not log my own cache, unless it I had no insider info. about its exact spot (other than coords.). I see two cases where this could happen. Either its a moving cache, or its location has been changed(like being washed away during flooding or such). In that case it would have to be a couple hundred feet or more.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

[This message was edited by welch on January 22, 2003 at 09:57 PM.]

I've noticed that some people not only log their own cache as a find, but log it as a find every time they do cache maintenance.

"Yeah, its still there, I found it again! Wohoo!"

Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. - Roy M. Goodman

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

I've noticed that some people not only log their own cache as a find, but log it as a find every time they do cache maintenance.

"Yeah, its still there, I found it again! Wohoo!"

I've found this as well, or a find logged when the cache is set up, then another when a TB is placed. Usually it's just someone starting out, and a polite e-mail sets them straight.

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

I've never logged mine as a find, but I wish there was some kind of way that it would NOT show up on my not found list. Mine is now my first entry on my first page icon_smile.gif It's kind of annoying not be able to clear your first page just because your own cache is on it icon_smile.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

Some people do it out of ignorance. You see it a lot with newbies. Others do it to boost their find numbers. You have to feel sorry for those. I don't think it's appropriate to log any cache of yours, travelling caches, event caches, whatever.

It's as bad as those who log finds for caches they didn't find ("I'm sure I was in the right spot"),

or for finding the first leg of a multi.

On a similar note,there was a recent link to a scuba cache that was a two parter. The first part had the log book (I guess to keep it dry) and a map to the cache. The cache page did say scuba gear was necessary and it was a 5/5, yet only one of the 8 or so finders actually found the cache.

What's the deal with that?

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Some people do it out of ignorance. You see it a lot with newbies.

I most certainly did with my first cache (which was also placed in the most abominably bad location, as well, if I'm honest.

As soon as I realised I'd done a "Very Bad Thing" I deleted the log.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

In the U.S. you have the benchmark logs but down here in Australia that area is not available. A short time before Jeremy introduced benchmarks to the game I had actually created a virtual of the same nature where the cachers can log up to 5 Trig Stations (Survey Markers) in Australia. I haven't actually logged a trig on my own cache yet but I feel that if it's ever ok to do it, it would be for that sort of situation.

Hounddog

quote:
I placed 2 caches and had to log them or I kept getting them in my Queries as caches I have not found. Anyone know how to correct it and I will gladly correct my error.

If you are logged onto the website they will not show up as unfound caches. Either way, pretty lame reason for logging finds on your own cache IMHO.

My first cache maintenance was initially entered as a find out of ignorance. I found it annoying to look at it as a find on my found page but didn't know of any other way to log it. Someone on this site let me know how it should be done and how unethical it was to leave as it was. Once I found out, it was no problem to post a note and I was happy to see it disappeared from my found log. Some of these things you learn as you go along, heaven knows others will see your errors and let you know. I have been monitoring and particikpating on this site for year and still feel like a newby. I enjoy reading these forums better than daily newspapers.

quote:
Originally posted by sledgehampster:

I placed 2 caches and had to log them or I kept getting them in my Queries as caches I have not found. Anyone know how to correct it and I will gladly correct my error.

If you mean your Pocket Queries, there are "I own" and "I don't own" checkboxes in the generator. Uncheck the first, check the second.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut

I guess I don't understand. I logged both of my caches, I HAD to when I placed travel bugs in them. Now you are saying this is wrong? I don't really count them as "finds" but I didn't have any choice but to log them. One log even says "the only reason I'm logging this is so I can place the TB"

"Exploring is never having to say you are lost"!

quote:
Originally posted by Airlid:

I guess I don't understand. I logged both of my caches, I HAD to when I placed travel bugs in them. Now you are saying this is wrong? I don't really count them as "finds" but I didn't have any choice but to log them. One log even says "the only reason I'm logging this is so I can place the TB"

You can enter a log on your own cache, of course, but you should select "Post a note" instead of "I found it!"

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

quote:
Originally posted by Airlid:

You can enter a log on your own cache, of course, but you should select "Post a note" instead of "I found it!"

Not only that, but after logging the cache and dropping in your Travel Bug, you can delete your log and the Travel Bug remains in the cache.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

You can drop a bug by just using a note too. You don't need a find.

I have logged only one of my caches as a find and that was an event cache. I differ on this one with Brian who had an event cache and didn't log a find on it.

To me the find on the event indicates that you were there. Granted I was holding the event and knew where it was but there was nothing hidden to find. But by looking at the finds I know who was present and so does every one else.

This is the only type of cache that I would log a find on if it was mine.

It's just a game, for cryin out loud. Why should I care what someone else is doing with their little game.

I placed a traveling cache out in the badlands east of town. The purpose was to get people to go out on a regular basis and have an existing cache, new location. Not only do I log on it when in the area, I offer multiple finds to everyone.

This sport is designed to help find new little hideaways and enjoy a good hike and pictures. If this sport moves from amatures to pros, we can then change the rules. Until then, let's don't fabricate rules that limit ourselves.

IMHO

quote:
It's just a game, for cryin out loud. Why should I care what someone else is doing with their little game.

It's just a game, sure,but cheating isn't always harmless. There are people who won't look for a cache unless it has a recent find. False finds could encourage these people and others to head out and waste their time looking for a cache that isn't there. It's even worse with locationless caches. Because of the one find per site rule, a false find will prevent others from legitimately logging that site.

It's a bit different situation with cache owners logging finds on their own caches. But if they dishonest enough to break one of the mores of our sport, who's to say that they even made the visit to the cache that they are claiming.

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:

Check out http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=8180952935&r=6760982935#6760982935.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_1400.gif http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2600.gif http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2300.gif

hehehehe...

Anyway, as I said in that thread, I dont think any cache you have a responsibility for (i.e. a moving cache) should ever be logged as a find.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

Another valid reason for posting a find to a cache that you currently own is acceptable for the following situation. It is fine if you did not own the cache (or knew its location) when you found it. I just took ownership of a cache in my area that I found a month ago. It may look odd but I am keeping it as a find since I did not know the owner at the time I found it and spent two days trying to find the cache. The old owner was from another state and the initial coordinates were off by about 80 feet. I offered to become a nanny for the cache but the owner offered to transfer ownership. I accepted ownership.

Zinnware

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

I've never logged mine as a find, but I wish there was some kind of way that it would NOT show up on my not found list. Mine is now my first entry on my first page icon_smile.gif It's kind of annoying not be able to clear your first page just because your own cache is on it icon_smile.gif

Maybe I'm not understanding what your saying icon_confused.gif, why are your own cache(s) coming up in a search? If you run a zip code search while logged in, the nearby ones you haven't found will be on top, then those found, the cache(s) you've placed, and finally down at the bottom any caches currently unavailable.

Do you have multiply accounts? or are you seeing a cache placed as a team? icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif

quote:
Is it fair to delete a DNF if you've gone back after a few weeks and found and logged it?

Why would you want to do that? It's part of the history of the cache. As a cache owner, I'd be annoyed if people deleted a DNF from any of my caches. Often the DNF logs are more interesting than the found it logs.

They also give future hunters an idea of the real difficulty...esp. if the cache owner mis-rated the difficulty level.

Update: Funny as I was typing this, Prime Suspect said nearly the exact same thing.

quote:
I see the value of keeping the history, but was also concerned whether the DNF was derogatory, geocaching statistics-wise.

I certainly hope not, I have 27 DNF's. Should I be worried? Are other geocachers going to think poorly of me?

quote:

A hard and fast rule I use--though it's not an official rule that I know of--you don't post a "found it" when you already knew where it was because you've been there already. If it was otherwise, we'd have a few extra "finds" under our belt, both from ours and the one's we've helped maintain.

The biggest dilemma I see is what do you do when you're part of a group that hides a cache and you're not the one the cache is listed under. I was for allowing the remainder of the group logging a find with an explaination, but the Elders seemed to pooh-pooh even that.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
I see the value of keeping the history, but was also concerned whether the DNF was derogatory, geocaching statistics-wise.

I certainly hope not, I have 27 DNF's. Should I be worried? Are other geocachers going to think poorly of me?

_"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant_

The DNFs and notes I post are my history of geocaching. I won't delete them if I find it subsequently. It is my story. People can judge me any way they want but it is wrong for me to delete a previous DNF. After all I was at the cache that day and I did DNF.

Two of the toughest cache hunts I've been on resulted in Not Found logs.

In one case, it was the extreme summer vegetation (capped by a surprise summer thunderstorm) that caused the NF.

In the other case, our absolute determination to find the cache regardless of the 90% humidity and temps in the 90s that kept our team of 5 sweating in the forrest for 2+ hours (including a hike back to the car for more drinks before resuming the hunt). Based on the previous not founds, the amazing amount of person-hours spent searching, and some evidence I found at the cache site (the evidence was examined and confirmed by the cache hider), it's clear that the cache had been stolen. Had the cache actually been there, we would've found it in under 15 minutes and been on our way.

The point I'm making (and others have made) is that the Not Founds can be more interesting (and for those that need it, more of a proof that you are "hard core") than dozens of roadside cache and dashes.

I've already posted to this but it's for something different will it still count as a post? icon_biggrin.gif

I think you should leave the dnf. I've had a couple and never thought of deleteing them.

I've also seen where people say I couldn't find this the first time or this is the second or third time I've been here but they never posted a dnf. I think posting them it does two things.

1. It puts up a red flag to the owner that it may be gone

2. It pays a complement to the owner for a good hide.

Still looking!

quote:
Originally posted by Cachetrotters:

Is it fair to delete a DNF if you've gone back after a few weeks and found and logged it?

don

My first attempt to reply to this question seems to have been lost, so I'll keep this short.

I wouldn't delete my DNFs or anyone elses, they are part of that cache. I find them interesting to review, and removing seems like your rewriting the cache's life/history...