Geo car injuries?

carleenp

I recently scraped my rear car bumper on a rock while caching, then found a GPS sticker in the cache. I don't usually place bumper stickers on cars, but I felt it was appropriate to take the sticker and proudly display it next to the geo scrape! I am quite fond of the scrape now. I posted a few pics in my log for the cache.

Any other geo car injury stories?

pokeanim3.gif

Too bad the sticker didn't fit right over your scrape!

The only problem I've had were dead batteries at the trailhead. I tend to leave my lights on a lot. Bought one of those portable jumpstart devices and I use it pretty often. icon_rolleyes.gif

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Backed into a boulder and bent up my trailer wiring harness. No biggie.

The most impressive whas doing a trail with a person outside guiding me. I drove over a rock, dropped about 12" inches slashed my tire which droped me another 10" or so and smacked my gas tank. It was 105 out and I was really seeing the value of a handyman jack instead of that POS stock jack.

To boot I was on a multi cache hunt and we decided to bag it since we didn't have a spare anymore(never go off road without a spare). Turns out we wrote down a coordinate wrong for the last state and the owner didn't really help me out for that last part. I didn't want to find them all again so that was that.

It's not everyday you can log a not found for an event cache you helped set up, but our Geo-Tank (1993 Chevy Suburban) broke down about 15 miles away. I was planning on renting a U-Haul trailer and towing The Tank back with The Beast (1986 Chevy Suburban), but U-Haul said they didn't have a trailer big enough.

I went to AAA first thing Monday morning and reinstated my Plus membership (it expired last fall). When I got back to where The Tank was parked, I called them. They told me that my Plus membership was not going to be activated for 7 days (so I don't cancel and request a refund after the tow). After some complaining about not being told that when I added the Plus service and telling them I have been a member for 14 years, her supervisor gave in. I was able to get the truck towed to my mechanic's shop 40 miles away. The bad news is that a new rear end for The Tank is about $1200 for parts and $300 for labor. The good news is that my mechanic will be able to salvage most of the parts since I pulled over as soon as the rear end gave out. I'm still looking at a $500 repair, but under the circumstances I'll be able to live with that. The Tank has almost 200,000 miles on it and has gone places Fords could only dream about.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

I am quite fond of the scrape now. I posted a few pics in my log for http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?id=66556

Pretty funny logs in that one. Looked at the first pic and had to look twice to find the dog! LOL -- only a tounge showing in the shade!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Too bad the sticker didn't fit right over your scrape!

The only problem I've had were dead batteries at the trailhead. I tend to leave my lights on a lot. Bought one of those portable jumpstart devices and I use it pretty often. icon_rolleyes.gif

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

Got one of those in my Jeep. It also acts as an air compressor so if I get a flat going..I can blow up the tire a little for the drive to the garage. Emergency lights also on the thing.

A few mystery ruts appeared just as my front end left the ground from a previous mystery rut, slamming my front end down on a few occations, knocking back the front of each fender about 1.5" and crimping it in the same spot. A few hard pulls later, and it looked better, but it was the first major damage done to my truck..which is hardly noticeable.

Brian

Team A.I.

tore off some molded bit of plastic from the underside of the beetle going onto a beach... the sand was really soft and dry so i used some other guys tracks... he had the clearance of a frickin' hummer. oh dear. bet it will cost a bomb to replace too. ugh.

please - i don't want to know how expensive or vital this whatsit is.

icon_rolleyes.gif

i'll just go and shine my geocoin now...

who's got the pig?

Got back from our geocaching trip through New Mexico, Arizona, and Southern California in June and noticed the car sporting an odd flatulant sound from underneath. Seems on our search for rural highways in Az. (Az. doesn't seem to have Rural Highways, just main Highways and dirt roads)I had knocked the muffler clamp loose and put a hole in the resonator...cost 40 bucks but the views were worth it!!!!

"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"

My family and in-laws had gone for a trip to Desert Canyon Golf Course for a round of putt putt there. I failed miserably to find a cache there that has since been archived.

However, my pop-in-law had an interest in doing a cache hunt so off we went for another one at GCD2C6 Long View of the River. We were going along at 60MPH and were in the process of slowing down but missed the park. That was when I discovered how bad a lag the GPS can be at that speed (about 1/10th of a mile.) Anyway, we turn into this camp site unaware it had once been an apple orchard and the trees were only chopped down to about 6 inches above the ground, which was far lower than the tall grass and we didn't see the stumps.

I turned into the long grass and heard some scraping. I stopped and got out to look at what I ran over, and my father-in-law, holding back till I parked, thought I had found a good place to park so pulled in beside me. Well... there it went... a blow out on a Ford Explorer rear wheel with people who didn't know how to change a tire so I was stuck doing the job. The jack was designed to go under the axle so you get the idea of the down and dirty.

That also put the crimp on doing any further searches and we headed for home.

Cheers!

TL

I've had two bits of auto excitement while caching. During Sergio's Legacy I was rear ended on the final stage of a 4 part multi. Also managed to get locked into the park on Point Break but found by folding the mirrors back and inching back and forth to line up exactly right I was able to squeeze out between the park gate and a multi ton rock. Net result a little streak along the length of the car which came out with some buffing.

A fun (well maybe not fun when it happened) bunch of stories here! I started to reply to each, but realized that my post would get insanely long if I kept that up! Anyway, thanks for the stories so far. I figured that my scrape would turn out to be small peanuts to other stories and pics! I was right. I have had fun reading this so far!

pokeanim3.gif

I bought a Subaru also. Except it's a Forester. Got it because of the occasional AWD need for geocaching. I used to drive any family car I had on the backroads of Wisconsin. Never had much trouble. One place I did wish I had the Forester was in Reno Nevada. I was on business and had a rental Chrysler Concorde. Put four big guys in it and try to drive up a mountain road to a geocache. Not a good idea! I wish I had Gummer's Power Wagon!

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Interesting timing for this thread. Two days ago I blew a tire on the highway en route to my last cache of the day, and to make matters worse I realized too late that I didn't have a jack for my spare.

I guess it technically doesn't count since it didn't happen to me, but driving to a cache today we came across a car fully ablaze on the shoulder of the highway. Everybody was out, nobody was hurt, and the firefighters were on their way, so we continued on our way. It was just a burned-out metal shell by the time we came back the other direction.