Do people that call it "Geo-catching" bother you? (What's your pet peeve?)

<rant> This might have been covered before, (if so, this post will surly sink off the screen like Leoardo DiCaprio at the end of Titanic) but nothing makes one of my eyes twitch uncontollably like hearing someone talking about geocatching. Dear God people....it cashing... CASHing! And these team names, "Cache you later", "Cache me if you can", "Caching air" etc, they make no sense. Ok, deep, calming breath..... </rant>

So what are your pet peeves?

I've actually got one... When the Iraq conflict was on all the news stations, every military person kept saying "cachet" instead of "cache" (kash'A instead of kash). Cachet means prestige. "A hidden cachet of weapons" is an unintelligible comment (a hidden prestige of weapons?!??).

It made our military, and those of us they represent, appear so ignorant.

Ah well,

Randy

C'est la vie (or "Kest la vy" as they might say...)

As to our military, I belive actions speak louder... Anyone willing to defend our way of life can talk however they want to. icon_smile.gif

The geocatching is pretty irritating. I think it is due to people assuming that you are mispronouncing "catch" rather than accept the possibility that there is a word they have never heard. (cache)

eyes.GIF

"The fertilizer has hit the ventilator"

Its funny, with close to 800 caches in my state alone (1800 within 100 miles) I have never met another person who knew what geocaching was. There is another geocacher at my place of employment, but never had the chance to discuss it with them.

My point you may ask? I never hear anyone else pronounce it icon_frown.gif

Kar

quote:
Originally posted by RJFerret:

"A hidden cachet of weapons"

Good Lord, man, I think you've found it! This is why they can't find the "womd", they're looking into cachets. It now seems obvious that the "womd" are in caches. The president should be notified immediately! He will certainly select a group from here who have the highest 'found counts' to go to Iraq and find these. Congratulations, good old American ingenuity will finally win the day. icon_eek.gif

quote:
posted June 11, 2003 06:23 PM

My pet peeve is that girls didn't

wear bellybutton rings when I was

in the dating world....ooops...sorry

....wrong forum.....

~Bob

Well, when were you dating? I got mine in second year law school in 1996 and was the only one there with one. I blame it now on temporary insanity, but I do still have it though. Now how to make that caching related? Well... Does wearing a silver and chrysoprase ring mess with a GPS, probably not... what about a compass???

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by RJFerret:

..."A hidden cachet of weapons" is an unintelligible comment (a hidden prestige of weapons?!??).

It made our military, and those of us they represent, appear so ignorant.

Ah well...

I don't know, the cache of gold plated AK's and such, they found in Saddam's son's place had a cachet to them.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

Actually, one of my pet peeves is the mispronounciation of words any time.

Oh, this is too good; I can't resist!

"mispronounciation???"

What is this . . . using the wrong pronoun? How about mispronunciation? (Merriam-Webster: the act or an instance of mispronouncing)

I know, you were just testing us, right?

Actually, mispronunciation of words is one of my big pet peeves, too--right up there with the use of non-words like mispronounciation.

My mom didn't call me Little Miss English Teacher for nothing.

sept1c_tank: Please forgive me for correcting a fellow Hoosier. Don't hit me if we ever meet up at an event cache!

*Daphne*

ingeo-button2.gif

"Their poverty, combined with their naivete and limited knowledge of the world, left them no choice but to put cheap, uninteresting stuff in their time capsule." -- from an article in the ONION, 14 Oct. 1999

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shibby:

Its funny, with close to 800 caches in my state alone (1800 within 100 miles) I have never met another person who knew what geocaching was. There is another geocacher at my place of employment, but never had the chance to discuss it with them.

My point you may ask? I never hear anyone else pronounce it icon_frown.gif

Kar

Yeah, exactly what you said. I never heard anyone say Geocatching because noone I know has ever heard of Geocaching.

So I guess we shouldn't call it Geocacheting either? :)

-Dan

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

In ClayJar's geocaching chat channel, I use the mIRC client, which gives me the option of a text-to-speech converter. It is so much easier to follow the chat by having the sound agent speak the words that people type.

The agent is pretty good at pronouncing most common words, but it says "geokacking", "kacking" and "kacker". It does know how to say "cache", IIRC. Fortunately, there is a way to "force" the agent to use the correct pronunciation, by simply adding the phoenetic spelling into a dictionary. Gee-o-cashing.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

quote:
posted June 11, 2003 06:23 PM

My pet peeve is that girls didn't

wear bellybutton rings when I was

in the dating world....ooops...sorry

....wrong forum.....

~Bob

Well, when were you dating? I got mine in second year law school in 1996 and was the only one there with one. I blame it now on temporary insanity, but I do still have it though. Now how to make that caching related? Well... Does wearing a silver and chrysoprase ring mess with a GPS, probably not... what about a compass???

http://outbreakcorp.hypermart.net/animation/pokemon/pokeanim3.gif

A compass....I suppose if it were pointing south.....I don't KNOW how this is all caching

related. I saw the forum topic "Geocaching is like sex" and now I can't keep my mind on any other topics. Us men are so easy.

I think its funny that the thread author assumed that people who use the word cache sounding like catch meant it to be said out loud. As an experienced message board user most play on words are just meant to be kept exactly where they are. In print. when you say "cache you later" I automatically think "catch you later". When these people typed it they weren't meaning it to be said outloud but rather to be read to yourself. As for pet peeves I guess it would be people who assume the wrong thing.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

The Department of Redundancy Department

Actually, It annoys me to SAY "cash" because the word looks french which would make it a "Cashay"... So I say "Cashay" all the time. (and no I don't spell it like that.. I'm trying to be phonetical)...

People with obvious spelling errors bother me online.. That's my peeve.. Like the people that do a subject line to a post and type something so fast that the letters are in the wrong "oredr" and then don't bother to fix it at all.... It's a post title, take four seconds to make sure you didn't mess something up!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by TX Diva:

I don't have any pet peeves, but I have a couple of dogs. Where would one purchase a peeve, and would they be good companions to canines? icon_wink.gif

I imagine a peeve to be somewhat like the texas parie chicken.. Dispite anything you may have heard, the name is misleading and they don't do much good to have them around. I quite imagine the dogs would hate having a peeve in the house.