Top 10 Appovers. Final vote.

El Diablo

Okay, here's my essay. I've put it into poem form and I hope that's okay. You guys be nice and grade me on the curve icon_wink.gif

ODE TO THE HIKING STICK

Nothing so useful I will ever have

Than a faithful, poplar walking staff.

Unassuming, just along for the ride

Staying close at hand, right by my side.

When on the search I must ascend,

I do it with this faithful friend.

Who helps me up the longest trail

Supporting my steps without fail.

A brave companion on any walk

When after the elusive cache I stalk

The stick never minds picking up litter, or

Being stuck in a hole where there might be a critter!

The stick's a kind of gentleman, too

When there's mud or snow I have to get through

He leaps ahead into water or muck

Lending his strength so I don't get stuck.

Sometimes the stick's a warrior friend

When I see arachnids round the bend

He always leaps into the fray

To brush those spiderwebs away!

He's on the watch for brush and briars

Making a way as the route requires

In fact sometimes when the signal dies

He lifts my weak GPSr up high!

When I find the cache and take a seat

Spreading the treasure at my feet

Having a snack, draining a cup

The stick's what helps me get back up!

And when it's time to head toward home

After a caching day on the roam

My stick's a lightweight, sturdy pal

A staunch guide through each new locale.

And then unlike my human friends

Who when offended require amends

My stick's willing to make his bunk

Along with a backpack in my car's trunk.

Where he is happy to wait, content

Until the next trail or caching event

Where he'll be needed once again

My dependable wooden walking friend.

-honeychile- "a joyful heart is good medicine"

That is very nice honechile. Mine is still in progress.

My staff is still doing the preliminary research on the correlations between modern hiking sticks, the Roman signum and the scepters of more recent monarches. The staff is debating whether to include the phallic symbolism in folk art renditions of the tool, as well as modern useage among missionaries to demonstrate the condom. I suspect we'll have to do without those chapters to get past the moderators.

Once we get beyond those snags my staff and I will work on an outline, and then onto the finished product.

Be afraid, be very afraid......

my staff has never let me down.

~erik~

quote:
Originally posted by Tennessee Geocacher:

My essay has 12 words, were you looking for a book.

To me it said it all. HaHaHa

TG

Well after reading it several times, I have to admit that it is a very fine essay. However, it has nothing to do with a hiking stick. icon_wink.gif

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

I was very surprised and honored when a cacher in my area pointed me to this thread. I would be amiss if I didn't make an attempt at an essay. I strained my brain for a few minutes and here is what resulted. Short and sweet.

There once was a cacher named Rick,

He always left home with his stick,

It saved him from snakes,

And the charge of the moose,

But when came the skunk,

It was of no use!

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

The staff is debating whether to include the phallic symbolism in folk art renditions of the tool, as well as modern useage among missionaries to demonstrate the condom.

This promises to be a most outstanding essay, especially if "your staff" manages to work in the phrase "tough nuts."

Oh you stinker (I guess a septic tank IS pretty stinky)! I can't believe you found that yucky photo. BTW, going off topic for just a moment, for those of you whose spouse keeps complaining about wanting to be more fit, lose weight, etc., point them to geocaching as a great year-round fitness opportunity. Between the photo on the left which was close to the time I started geocaching in May, 2002, and the photo on the right which is fairly recent, I dropped 40 lbs and went from size 24 to size 16. At 5 foot nothing, I'm still round, but not as round as before! I don't really have much to point to except increased physical activity through geocaching. Now isn't that a nice perq? I should've included another verse in my poem:

My stick helps me like a personal trainer

'Cause I used to be as big as a cargo container

But now when I meet the giant anaconda

Stick & I sprint away faster than Jane Fonda!

I know, I know...I'll stick to my day job!

-honeychile- "a joyful heart is good medicine"

Before honeychile further gilds the lilly of her enviable poem I will, with great trepidation, submit my essay. I apologise, but my proofreading daughter forced the removal of the ribald content promised earlier. icon_frown.gif

The Hiking Staff

The hiking staff is nothing new, with a provenance going back to the one first used by a caveman to brace himself and aid him in walking. The ancient shepherds added a crook, the Romans used them as a "signum" or a standard to display military rank. They've received further ornamentation and bejeweling in medieval times to form a scepter representing authority. Generations of European hikers have decorated theirs with medallions from different regions. The Victorian dandy's fancy walking stick or cane is but a short evolutionary leap from the traditional hiking staff.

This essay will explain the staff's primary uses - that of support, uses specific to our sport of geocaching, and lastly show it can be an invaluable aid to safety and survival.

Support:

The hiking staff in it's most basic use acts as a third leg to support a hiker. This is particularly helpful on rough ground, on hills, or when carrying a heavy load such as a backpack. The hiking staff takes stress off the knees, back, and legs. It can also cause the arms and uppper torso to share some of the work of trekking up a hill, thus relieving the legs. It can be used to help vault over small streams and crevasses. When sitting tired and winded on the ground a staff leaning against a tree can be a welcome backrest to lean against. The hiking staff can also be readily adapted to act as a camera or binocular support by added a threaded stud at the top capped by a removable knob. Lastly, that lowly hiking staff provides an excellent prop for a vehicle door or tailgate while loading or unloading gear.

Geocaching:

The hiking staff is as invaluable as Indiana Jones' whip in clearing the trail of spider webs, whacking brush aside (the proverbial "bush whacking"), and in probing for a well-hidden cache. Many a cache hidden in a stump hole or under leaves can be found through the lovely hollow metallic "clunk" of wood hitting ammobox. The top of a hiking staff can be inletted to hold a small compass - an invaluable tool to the successful geocacher. Alternately, the staff can be used as an extension of the needle of a handheld compass to shoot accurate bearings and sight to distant targets along that bearing line.

The top of a hiking stick can be used to temporarily mount an external GPS antenna, such as the small "Mighty Mouse". The antenna can then be raised high to achieve an improved signal. For those without an antenna the GPS itself can be temporarily or permanently mounted to the top of the staff. As a permanent mount the staff frees a hand and holds the GPS in an ideal position. Whether permanently or temporarily mounted, the GPS can be raised high to improve reception. The stick can even be used to help pick up litter. How did we ever cache without it?

Safety and Survival:

Now here is where the hiking staff really proves to be invaluable! It can ward off spiders on the trail, as well as keeping unleashed dogs and rabid foxes at bay. It can also be used to fight off two legged animals if that unhappy need should occur. The hiking staff can be used to gently move any snakes found blocking the trail, as well as to probe under any rocks that might hide either cache or snake. The staff can be used to probe muddy water to gauge whether there's only an inch to a solid surface, or whether there's bottomless quicksand awaiting the unwary. The unwary can still use the handy hiking staff lanyard to hook onto a nearby protuberance and pull himself to safety out of that quicksand. (Remember Indiana Jones and his whip?). In bear country a cap or hat can be placed on top of the stick if rustling is heard, then held high to fool the bear into thinking you are much larger than you are.

If the bear isn't fooled that same staff can be used as a crutch, or as a splint on a broken leg or arm. If all else fails your staff and those of a rescuer can be combined with a blanket to form a handy stretcher to remove your remains. Thinking more positively, the staff can be adapted as a spear to catch fish or small game, can support a space blanket or tarp to form a simple tent or lean-to, or can be used to wave a shirt as a flag to attract attention. It can even be used as a sundial in its most primitive form - the "gnomon" used by the ancients to tell time on a sunny day.

In studying the many possible uses of the hiking staff it soon becomes apparent that not just any hiking staff will do. For instance, there are modern and costly titanium or aluminum walking poles with built in shock absorbers. These high tech marvels excel at applying upper body muscles to aid the legs in climbing, and in providing support when descending, but are of limited value for most of the other uses detailed above. Unless you're only interested in a single dimensional use of your hiking stick, they just won't do.

The best hiking staff is also the most primitive - the simple wooden stick with a leather lanyard. Only this stout staff can fill the many roles required, and become truly an extension of its owner. The wooden staff can be personalized to become a reflection of it's owner's tastes and values, as well as aiding him in geocaching and ensure his survival in the woods. No geocacher or hiker should be without the wonderful hiking staff!

Humbly submitted,

~erik~

[This message was edited by ~erik~ on October 29, 2003 at 03:49 PM.]

The Virtual Hiking Staff

By Keystone Approver

Volunteer Admin for Pennsylvania and Eastern Ohio

I think most folks already know what a hiking staff can be used for. It is a staff for hiking. My essay will focus on the uses of my hiking staff while I am NOT hiking. These are not physical activities, but rather things that I would think about and draw inspiration from when I admire my custom-made El Diablo special. My hiking staff would be much more than gear, it would be a metaphorical hiking staff. Yes, dare I say it... a VIRTUAL hiking staff.

I expect I'll spend as much time staring at my hiking staff as I will spend using it in the field. After all, I'm stuck in front of the computer much of the evening, doing approver work. When I'm not doing that, I'm probably doing the everyday work of a single parent. Nothing's more important to me than my kid. Geocaching has brought us closer together and allowed us to spend quality time on grand outdoor adventures. What a great gift that everyone has given us, hiding treasures for us to find! I feel that my work as a volunteer for Geocaching.com affords me an opportunity to give something back to the community of geocachers who have done so much for us. It is an honor -- and usually a pleasure -- to serve as a cache approver and forum moderator. I would like to thank El Diablo for his kindness in setting up this contest, and to everyone who honored me with their vote. Honestly, I don't think the approvers really care very much who wins. This is more of a morale-booster for us, and perhaps an opportunity for others to see us for who we really are... geocachers just like you, first and foremost.

With that said, here are my top ten uses for a virtual hiking staff. When I look at my El Diablo hiking staff leaning against the wall in the corner, here's what it will remind me to think about:

10. A hiking staff would be very helpful to a geocacher trying to cross a stream or climb a hill. May my hiking staff remind me to be as helpful as possible to my fellow geocachers, by answering their questions in the forums and offering suggestions and constructive criticism about their cache submissions.

9. My hiking staff will be decorated with something customized. May it remind me to always be who I am, to express my individuality and pursue my interests, regardless of what others may think. (He's that crazy guy who runs around in the woods with that GPS-thingy.)

8. My hiking staff will be made of sturdy hickory or some other hardwood. May it help me to fairly enforce the rules that Groundspeak has asked me to apply, and to remain resolute in the face of the inevitable criticism that accompanies this job.

7. Even the strongest wood will bend a little bit. May I have the wisdom to know when to exercise good judgment and discretion in granting an exception to one of the cache placement guidelines... that is why they are called guidelines.

6. My hiking staff is a cold, inanimate object. It does not change its shape or appearance, regardless of whether it is brushing back bright fall leaves to reveal a geocache, or thrusting into the jaws of an attacking mountain lion. May it help me to keep my emotions and feelings in check when dealing with other geocachers in my official capacity.

5. My hiking staff is a straight line. May it help me draw a clear division between my official duties and my opinions as a geocacher, so it is clear to everyone which side of the line I am speaking from.

4. My hiking staff is true and well-balanced. May it remind me to be honest, ethical and forthright when dealing with other geocachers in the forums and when reviewing their cache submissions.

3. Like the rod of a 19th-century schoolmaster, my hiking stick can be a tool for control and discipline. I will give myself a virtual slap in the head when I get out of line or make a mistake. Nobody's perfect! THWAP... take THAT, Keystone!

2. Just as it will help me avoid holes along the trail, unsafe footings and rattlesnakes when used outdoors, my virtual hiking staff will remind me that I must lead my daughter down the right paths in life. May I be a good guide for her, as sturdy and stalwart as my hiking staff is for me.

1. My hiking staff will always be pointing towards the door. May it remind me to get outside and enjoy geocaching as much as possible!

|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|

Keystone Approver, Geocaching.com Admin

"Eschewing Entropy and Ensuring Enthalpy in the Groundspeak Forums"

Hiking Staff Essay

Wow, now there is some competition that I’m not so sure I can be on the same level with. First let me start by saying that I was quite surprised to see my name on the list with the others approvers. I pretty much avoided the first thread because I didn’t think I would have a chance at this friendly competition. Low and behold there my name was. Also know that just because I was listed 9th that doesn’t mean I came in 9th place. icon_biggrin.gif El Diablo clearly stated that the names were in alphabetical order. With that in mind know that most alphabets start with the numbers and that’s why 9key’s name was at the top. icon_razz.gif I have to say that I think every approver on the list along with those that are not deserve a hiking staff because of the great time and effort they contribute to helping out the whole of the geocaching community. (It doesn’t hurt to kiss some bootie does it?) icon_wink.gif

Being on this prestigious list is not only a honor but a nightmare because of this essay thing (thanks keystone for the great idea icon_rolleyes.gif.) Well it is a good idea and one that has no real point other than to make me sweat and worry about what the heck I’m going to type. icon_smile.gif I started thinking that if I got all of MiGO behind me that maybe my essay could, well, ummm suck. Yeah that’s it, it doesn’t matter how good it is if I get the votes anyway right? At this point the plan if forming, post in the MiGO forums crying for help. I think it might work, we’ll see. Bottom line is if I do end up winning this very well crafted hiking staff from El Diablo I plan on donating it to MiGO because they are the ones who truly would have won it, that is not to discourage any NonMiGO person to vote for me though. icon_smile.gif My idea is to have the MiGO logo and name engraved on it and the staff could be our mascots hiking staff. Mascots have hiking staffs right? The only problem with that is that we don’t have a mascot but oh well. So without further a do here is that lame essay that I promised. icon_biggrin.gif

I think I have a rough draft of what I wanted to type somewhere in this thread. It started something like. Hiking staffs are good for hiking, should I add to that?

One of the first things that comes to my mind when thinking of a hiking staff (which I do so often) are the attributes of them.

Generally hiking staffs are long, much like this post/essay is.

Hiking staffs are round for strength where is I’m round for, umm well for no other reason than I like my beer and food.

On that note hiking staffs can be used by guys like me to hold ourselves up while trying to actually get exercise while cache hunting. Ok, I’m not really round but it fit in the essay well. icon_smile.gif

Strength, hiking staffs have to be strong to carry the burdened load that they do. Not only do they have to be strong to support weight but they have to be strong incase you have to bash someone or something with them. Isn’t that what they are really made for anyway?

Come on, lets be honest the only reason any of us carry a hiking staff is in the hopes to bash something or poke at something. Sometimes its even fun to drag them in the snow and thinking about how someone may think it was a snake that made that weird track. icon_biggrin.gif I think its time for a paragraph break, hmmm what else can I say about a hiking staff….

Second verse, same as the first. Oh wait, that’s not true. Hiking staffs, yeah, that’s right, hiking staffs, they are good for hiking.

So we learned some of the many attributes of a hiking staff but lets talk about the ideal hiking staff. It could be named many things such as ‘Super Staff’ or (I really like this one) ‘All In One Hiking Staff’. Whatever the name would be here are some things I would like to see in that All In One Hiking Staff. Now if it’s a true all in one it will have many uses and not just pertain to hiking. Lets get the hiking/geocaching uses out of the way first. It would be good for hiking with and it would hold your gps so you could have a hand free. I think those are the obvious things right? How about the not so obvious.

This hiking staff could be used to clear off the table after dinner with one fell swoop.

Properly equipped it with one of those robo hands I could not only open the fridge from a distance but grab one of your favorite beverages from that same distance. ‘Robo hand’ you say, you can also pick up trash with it after caching in.

We already discussed the bashing and poking side of things but what about that fire that needs to be stoked, it already has that built in poker.

Yeah, I’m sure you could play poker with your hiking staff but only with the robo hand. icon_biggrin.gif

No need to worry about someone breaking into your home anymore. You can barricade doors and windows with a hiking staff.

Dog doot on your shoe, clean it from a distance with a hiking staff.

Someone drowning, throw them one of those new fandangle wooden hiking staffs, they float.

Bolt it to your rafters and you can do not only chin ups but pull ups too.

Canoeing in shallow water, no problem with your hiking stick along, just push yourself through.

Ever break an axle while driving, no worries when that hiking staff can fill in as an axle.

Javelin is always fun with a hiking stick errr I mean staff. What’s the difference between a hiking staff and a hiking stick anyway?

Any golfers in the house? A hiking staff is your driver, fairway woods, irons and putter all in one. You can even use it as the flag if one comes up missing.

If you lose your remote you can still change the channels from the couch with a hiking staff.

If you like to play army and don’t have a rifle, use a hiking staff.

Cut the hiking staff in half and you have instance numb chucks.

Now I don’t know that this is the thread for it but I would like to see others ideas and not so obvious uses for a hiking staffs.

At the time of this posting there is not too much time left in this contest and I would first like to thank El Diablo for doing this for us. I would also like to thank everyone that takes the time to vote on this fun event. Lastly I would like to thank all of the approvers and not just those listed here for doing a great job all of the time, its much appreciated and I think the responses in this thread prove that. Good luck to all and thanks for your time. icon_biggrin.gif

Now can I edit this when I watch the other essays come in, as I get nervous? icon_wink.gif

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

quote:
Sorry, I missed your poll

I have heard that before but it's been a while...

I was waiting for the others to declare themselves before i started with anything. I still cant think of anything. We supposed to write about a stick?? Oh my. this could be tough...

glenn

Here's my official entry.....

An interview with 9Key, conducted by Dr. Bunsen Honeydew:

* If you could be a tree, what kind of tree would you be?

"Golly! I would be a tree that would make awesome hiking sticks once it was cut down and chopped up."

* What do you think your greatest weakness is?

"That’s difficult. It’s really a toss-up between my love of hiking sticks and my endemic lack of motivation."

* Where were you born?

"Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Milwaukee's hiking stick factories produce nearly 50% of all sticks in the world. Gosh!"

* What holidays do you celebrate?

"Arbor Day, Hiking Stick Appreciation Day, Jeremy Irish's Birthday, Festivus"

* What church do you attend?

"Church of the Mighty Immaculate Hiking Stick, Reformed"

* Why do birds sit on electric lines?

"Unfortunately, one portion of the explanation is that we have cut down many trees to make hiking sticks and there aren't as many perching areas as there once were."

* What is the National Park Service's policy on hiking sticks?

"Hiking sticks are banned in wilderness areas. Hikers that use walking sticks are more likely to chase animals."

Thank you for your time.

"No, thank you!" icon_razz.gif

-------

~ Texas Geocaching ~ Geocaching Icons - The Selector ~

My Outlook is set on delay mailing for 5pm tomorrow. I think I have at least 50 different display names waiting for ya. icon_wink.gif

And all 50 votes are going to be cast for Keystone Approver. He rocks. I don't deserve to be posting in the same forum.

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

[This message was edited by Keystone Approver on October 30, 2003 at 04:36 PM.]

You approvers are a talented group of writers. It's going to be very difficult to pick a winner based on these essays.

But what I enjoy most is the insight into each of your individual personalities.

Good stuff! icon_cool.gifbad_boy_a.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

I think that I am going to have to go with the Tennessee Geocacher dude on this one. I just cant compete with the others here in the writing category.

What could I possible write about my stick that the others haven't already said? I loved the poem. That was most excellent and worthy of a at least my vote. The other fine works about the history of the staff, ... I can't top that.

I do walk with my stick. It's a good stick. I made it one day when I pulled the wooden cloths bar out of the closet. It's a durn sturdy stick. It has been everyplace with me. I can pole vault from rock to rock with it and once, while scaling Mt. Kilimanjaro this last time, I fought off a whole flock of wolves... no, make that bears, with my stick. Giant big, mean bears. They looked like the same bears we say when we climbed Denali, armed only with my stick and a single stick of beef jerkey that i had to share with my blind trail guide.

Man, what can I say about my ole stick.... It's a good ole stick.

As good a stick as it is tho, it just doesn't seem to fit me or my geocaching outfit very well. The group got together and got me a brand new shiny stick. I am still getting used to it. I cant pole vault with it and I keep poking large holes in my foot.

owen.jpg

I am considering getting another new stick.

glenn

the missouri/kansas guy

www.MoGeo.com

[This message was edited by *gln on October 30, 2003 at 07:51 PM.]

It is truly an honor to be among the top ten approvers that got votes. Thanks to all.

Having the GeoNick of mtn-man, you would think I would have been hiking with a hiking staff all of my life. That is actually not true. I have hiked hundreds of miles with no hiking staff. Being a Forest Service volunteer, I was usually carrying a shovel, an axe, a fire rake or some combination of those items and sometimes all three. When I would hike with my brothers and with friends I did not use a hiking staff. I am an old track guy so I just put one foot in front of the other.

I was on a four-day ring through the Smoky Mountains with my brother once. We were on day three going down hill from Tricorner Knob to Cosby Shelter. He stumbled and messed up his knee. He did use a hiking staff and it helped him to the shelter that day. Overnight his knee got pretty stiff. The next day I took most of his load and we set off. Without his hiking staff we would not have made it. He was persistent and used it to lean on when resting and as something of a crutch on the way down. We found a second one out there and ended up leaving it at the trailhead for the next hiker going up.

But what about me?

Well, one fine FS workday I saw something along the trail. There it was. I found a lightweight but strong and almost perfectly straight stick. It had a gnarled area where limbs came out of it. I smacked it there with one chop of my Swedish bush axe and ended up with a perfect cut. It even has great natural hand gripping area where the gnarled area is. I trimmed it a bit on the bottom and carried it with my tools for the rest of the day. I never stained it or sealed it. I just left it in the natural state. The elegant twist of the pure grain is quite a beautiful thing. I have used it to support my pack to keep it off of wet ground by putting the pack loop over the top and leaning it against a tree. It has been slipped between branches of two trees to hold one end of a tarp as we have eaten lunch in the rain. Its value in crossing streams is immeasurable as it gives added stability and gives the hiker the ability to look for hidden holes. I’ve done some creative work in shelters to hang packs and food bags up. It can even support your tent if you break a tent pole. In geocaching it helps get you through the never-ending webs of the dreaded spiders and gives you that added protection from the nasties that live under rocks and dead trees. Nothing is better than the sound of wood on metal or plastic as victory is achieved and yet another cache is found! I’ve never had to use it to move a snake yet (knock on wood), but it has been of great value to nudge curious dogs away from the puppymonster. It also lets them know you mean business.

My old hiking staff has a split in it now, so a new one would be appreciated. These look so good I might be afraid to take it out and get it dirty!

I still hike without a hiking staff a good bit, but for Geocaching in the woods it is as important a tool as the GPS we all carry. The GPS will get you there, but that hiking staff will find the cache.

This is a great idea El Diablo. All of the approvers are great to work with and the winner will treasure this gift from you and from our peers. Best of luck to all!

mtn-man... admin brick mason

"approver of all trades" -- per Woodsters Outdoors

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

HEY TEXAS & NEW MEXICO!

WHO ARE WE VOTING FOR?

umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc umc icon_biggrin.gif

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man

quote:
mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man mtn-man
icon_biggrin.gifbad_boy_a.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

umc is doing good...whats up with that?

Also 9key and NJ doing good. Come on guys...ralley your votes.

El Diablo

Doing good? Great! I had this totally awesome essay, that was somewhat time dependant, all ready and waiting to be submited at 5pm. Now it's 7:15, and I missed the deadline. Sorry. All I can say for myself is, I took a break from the forums and went and found a bunch of caches 100 miles from home. Got so caught up in finding new caches in an area I hadn't cached before, I lost track of the time. Sorry! Glad people are voting for me anyway.

Now, off to do the family thing for halloween, then back to approving caches. Thanks.

--------------------

bad_boy_a.gif Personal slave of The Frog. bad_boy_a.gif

quote:
Originally posted by NJ Admin:

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

umc is doing good...whats up with that?

Also 9key and NJ doing good. Come on guys...ralley your votes.

El Diablo

Doing good? Great! I had this totally awesome essay, that was somewhat time dependant, all ready and waiting to be submited at 5pm. Now it's 7:15, and I missed the deadline. Sorry. All I can say for myself is, I took a break from the forums and went and found a bunch of caches 100 miles from home. Got so caught up in finding new caches in an area I hadn't cached before, I lost track of the time. Sorry! Glad people are voting for me anyway.

Now, off to do the family thing for halloween, then back to approving caches. Thanks.

--------------------

bad_boy_a.gif Personal slave of The Frog. bad_boy_a.gif

Well...summit now.

El Diablo

O.k...here is a new rule. Before you people start complaining...it's my contest and my rules. icon_biggrin.gif

Any Approver that didn't get their essay in time has until the end of the contest to submit it. I'm sure...quite sure that none of the other Approvers have a problem with this.

El Diablo

quote:
Originally posted by hydee:

El Diablo,

Not that I would be suggesting anything, but have you checked to make sure all the votes for umc are not from umc? umc@aol...umc@yahoo....umc@hotmail...umc@mail icon_biggrin.gif

cute.gif hydee cute.gif

_I work for the frog_

Please don't throw sand when playing in the sandbox!

I'm on the same wave link your Highness. I'm watching him closely. So far all the votes are legal. Boggles the mind...dosen't it? icon_biggrin.gif

I also know he has a great group behind him...as does all the Approvers. icon_smile.gif

El Diablo

quote:
Originally posted by hydee:

El Diablo,

Not that I would be suggesting anything, but have you checked to make sure all the votes for umc are not from umc? umc@aol...umc@yahoo....umc@hotmail...umc@mail icon_biggrin.gif

cute.gif hydee cute.gif

_I work for the frog_

Please don't throw sand when playing in the sandbox!

Some times I get really crazy and go with cmu@hotmail, cmu@yahoo.com mcu@msn.com ucm@moderatorsplus.com ect. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

The voting is going hot and heavy. Everytime I think someone is running away with it...there is a surge in the other direction.

Everybody is doing good. This is going to be close...so get out there and motivate people to vote for your favorite apporver.

Remember, not everyone reads the General Fourms. Spread the word through email and on the regional fourms.

El Diablo