New Geocaching.com Product ???

Bryan

Ok, we at Groundspeak have been working with an 'Angele' to develop a new Geocaching.com branded disposable camera for geocaches.

Here is what it will look like (although not the final design version):

Camera Front

All photos are printed with the Geocaching.com logo. Here is an example of a photo, but not the final version of the design:

Photo of Angele's sister

The cost of these cameras will be approximately $12.00 and we would like to know if we should produce them.

Please let us know and feel free to leave comments. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Rothstafari, Soul Adventurer

Groundspeak

It doesn't bother me that the cost is approximately 2 x retail. Especially if the difference is going to the support of the site. I would not buy a lot of them, but I would use them as first finder's premium. (Like I use the geocaching.com first aid kits). The cost to the first-finder is nil and they can place it in their cache.

I've been convinced for a long time that the flying saucers are real and interplanetary. In other words we are being watched by beings from outer space. -Albert M. Chop, NASA

Of course, I am a bit bias... but these are really cool! I have used two personally and think they are awesome. Just something fun. They are kind of like personalized checks. Not necessary, but a lot of fun! We just had a Geocaching birthday party for my 10 year old and the photos were a big hit! They were like little postcard souvenirs for the kids. They would make very cool cameras to leave in a cache when it is first placed. icon_smile.gif

MissAngele

Oh...another thing! The cameras totally supports recycling. They are made by a company that uses recycled materials and high quality film. The vast part of the proceeds support Geocaching.com. I think it would be a great product that advertises and supports the site, adds a cool touch to the pictures that are taken at the caches already and they are environmentally friendly too! How cool is that! icon_smile.gif

MissAngele

I saw one the other day in seattle, and i think they're pretty cool. They would indeed make great first-finder prizes, or cache-cameras.

When i physically saw the camera, i didn't know the geocaching stamp would be that big and intrusive. I thought it would be more like the semi-clear logo in the corner of the pic like on the Spice channel or something.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

The last flash disposable cameras I got added up to $3.78 each (2 to a pack). I would pay somewhat of a premium but 12 bucks is a bit extreme. Non-disposable cameras can be bought for less than that nowadays. The logo on the pic is too overwhelming for my tastes. I would much prefer to see the 4-square logo in the corner with merely the word "geocaching.com" across the bottom much smaller than shown.

Ok, enough with what I DON'T like. The outside of the camera looks great! Also, sis is kinda cute! Married?

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

We haven't often used cache cameras, but when I do, I have to say that I probably wouldn't pay so much more than retail just to have a geocaching branded camera. Especially since one of our cache cameras got swiped. I'm most likely to drop dollars on clothing type items... like the vests when they're available, or t-shirts in colors likely to hide the dirt collected in caching, or one thing that hasn't been done yet, kid sizes. I have a 3-year old for whom I would buy at least one SS and one LS t-shirt, and maybe 2 each, again, so long as they were in stain hiding colors (tan, olive, heather gray, etc.). No white for a little kiddo please!

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Here is what I think. If you don't want to spend the money, don't.

I think it is a good idea. The only thing I would have to agree upon is the part about the logo being too large. If it was smaller it would be perfect.

70546_800.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

I know Angele has been working hard at this...and I think she is really close. If I bought the camera I would use it as a cache camera. However I do think it is way to expensive compared to other disposable cameras.

I think the outside design is way cool. If the price was down I would buy it just for that. If you can figure ot how to get the price down to around 9.00 I would go for it just to have the logo on the print.

Also like everyone else...sis is very cute...and I also know it runs in the family icon_wink.gif

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

quote:
Originally posted by Fallen:

Here is what I think. If you don't want to spend the money, don't.

Here's what I think. If you won't spend the money then please say so in this discussion. That's why they are asking - no sense in making an investment for something most won't want to buy (even if lots think its a "good idea").

I may be interested in buying Geocaching branded items, but unfortunately not an overpriced disposable camera.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

I found recycled disposable cameras at Staples for $3.33 a camera. Basically it is an old camera shell with new film and a new (recharged?) flash battery. I picked up a bunch but have not used any up in my caches so I'm not sure how the photos will turn out....

Anyway, interesting idea - costs too much so I voted no.

What ever happened to the idea with the state magnets that you could put together to get the whole US?

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I completely agree with dboggny, I'd love to have a nice trecking vest with pockets and what not, even if it did have the geocaching.com logo on it =P.

Doug

Edit: Oh, I forgot, I voted no, I'm not interested in a $12 camera that plasters geocaching.com to the bottom of each photo.

[This message was edited by dthigpen on November 01, 2002 at 05:52 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by dthigpen:

I completely agree with dboggny, I'd love to have a nice trecking vest with pockets and what not, even if it did have the geocaching.com logo on it =P.

Doug

Would this "treking vest" come in say... Goldenrod/anthracite colored?

I wouldnt want it in red, cause every trekker knows the guy in the red is the expendable crew member that gets killed.

PS: I voted no above. For $12+s/h I can get a cheap 35mm camera and a roll of film.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

12 bucks for a camera that has all the images labeled like that? NOOOOOOO.

Would be about 12000 on the 11,000 items on my "11,000 things I would like to own" list.

Sorry, but this idea resembles a strong wind, if you get my meaning....

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif

I didn't vote but I think the 12.oo to support this site and the geocaching community is a good and fine idea. Further more I paid more for a throw away camera for my cache but its one of those underwater types. Actually I had a couple around the house that we never used on our honeymoon. But if it were a waterproof camera it would be worth it but those cost close to 20.oo dollars. Anyway like I said it supports this site and the community so I wouldn't mind. Its not like some guy trying to make money off a doot bucket just to line his own pockets. icon_wink.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

I don't mind supporting the cause. But in this case, it just doesn't make sense. By the time you pay $12 PLUS SHIPPING for one geocaching camera, you can get 4 and have them as you walk out of the store. Looking at it from a business standpoint, I wouldn't do it. If the poll is accurate, sales would be slow, and film does have a shelf life. However, often enough a business decision isn't made with profit in mind. If this is the case, then go ahead.

JMHO...

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

All this vest talk has been covered here I would think they are in production.

I feel bad about the poll results. Seems like a lot of hard work went into those cameras. Was there a poll first before starting the work on the cameras to help prevent the hard effort for this kind of response?

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

They're pricey, but I would buy them for gifts or an extra special cache. They'd be fun for cache events, too.

Regarding the "intrusiveness" of the logo on the photo, that's the point! Haven't you seen the "happy birthday" cameras? It's the same concept. Yes, it cuts into the photo area, but at least you'd never forget where THAT photo came from as you're shuffling through the stack in the shoebox ten years from now.

-honeychile-

'*+.,_,.+*'`'*+.,_A joyful heart is good medicine!_,.+*'`'*+.,_,.+*'`

Like many others, the cost is a problem.

When you can goto staples and get 2 for $8 1 for $12 is kinda harsh.

I have no problem picking them up if they were a tad bit more competitive on price, and I have no problme paying a little more per camera to supportthe site, but for $12 that should include having the devloped icon_smile.gif

Like many other's I think the logo is a bit intrusive.

The outside looks great, maybe you should try to hook up with the people selling the second use camera from Staples to get your price down a bit.

-Robert

I haven't read anything about how much the company will be making, off these cameras.

I know for a fact that, like in the military there is a chain of cammand. Same in businesses, like this one. Miss Angele is the lowest person in the distributing and pricing of these cameras. icon_eek.gif

So I think someone needs to ask who is demanding this $ amount, and why so high?

I would not mind paying $9.95 for something that supports this sport. Anyway, profit is profit. icon_wink.gif

Miss Angele I think you had a marvilous idea, I don't see all these other commenters comming up with ideas including myself.

Rosie

quote:
Originally posted by Rosie the Riveting:

I don't see all these other commenters comming up with ideas including myself.

Rosie

I posted my idea, but she has not emailed me yet icon_wink.gif I think Archie and his "Southern charm" scared her off.

I for one am not worried about how much profit someone would make on it, that comes down to their sources, quality, quanity, and other factors. The only issue pricewise to me is what the item would be worth to me. One can ecpect to pay a little more for a novelty item as this. My biggest complaint is just the size of the banner.

9 out of 10 men who try Camels prefer women.

quote:

Miss Angele I think you had a marvilous idea, I don't see all these other commenters comming up with ideas including myself.

Rosie

I beg your pardon Ms. Riviting, but i must beg to differ. I came up with, and posted an idea.

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

[This message was edited by SR & dboggny on November 03, 2002 at 12:45 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Rosie the Riveting:

I haven't read anything about how much the company will be making, off these cameras.

I know for a fact that, like in the military there is a chain of cammand. Same in businesses, like this one. Miss Angele is the lowest person in the distributing and pricing of these cameras. icon_eek.gif

So I think someone needs to ask who is demanding this $ amount, and why so high?

I would not mind paying $9.95 for something that supports this sport. Anyway, profit is profit. icon_wink.gif

Rosie

Yeah - they should go ahead and mass produce those cameras when it appears that pretty much nobody is going to buy them. icon_rolleyes.gif

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

Just out of curiousity...given the cost of personalization and some sort of border or logo "pre-printed" and the detailed packaging, what would be a fair, yet profitable to Geocaching.com, price? Keep in mind that most of the time you order multiple items on the Geo Gear page, so shipping will not alter that much. Just wondering. The point of this poll is to get some constuctive feedback, not to make nasty comments. It is great to have varied opinions. This site is growing by leaps and bounds. Every bit of financial gain helps it continue. We all look on here several times a week and many of us have incorporated this sport into a regular thing in our lives. I don't think anyone is getting rich off of a FREE TO USE site. I personally wish the guys were! What a great idea! icon_cool.gif Obviously we all think so. Merchandise is typically a large part of the financial back bone of anyone from a baseball field to a rock star! Geocaching.com is no different. I personally hope to see it around for MANY YEARS TO COME! With or without new merchandise ideas. icon_wink.gif

MissAngele

I don't think anyone finds fault with the site trying to find items that will help them make some money - but it is obvious the most of us would rather grab a generic $4.99 camera at Big Lots or the QuickyMart than spend more than twice that for a camera with a few gimmicks. Not to mention that there is a chance that these "neat Geocaching.com cameras" would be more of target in a cache. I mean, if someone were so inclined to steal stuff from caches... doesn't a custom printed camera with "fancy" pictures sound more desirable? icon_razz.gif

If people wanna support the site, they'll become paying members, buy travel bugs, maybe a ball cap... but it just looks like the logo camera just wouldn't be a big seller, that's all.

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

Wow $12, does that include processing? I usually buy the 2 pack for $10 or so at Target. How about an option on whether or not to have the preprinted border.

Or even better strike up a deal with a photo finishing service. Have each camera come with a mailing box, you pay the postage to send it off and they send you back your prints and a CD so you can easily post the pics online. Make it all one price for the camera and the developing!

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

I would pay a little premium for an "Official geocaching.com" cover on a camera. However, I consider the banner printed on the prints to be a drawback - would much rather have pics without that. I have an idea that banner is a major factor in the cost, so what would it run WITHOUT it?

I completely agree with pater. Perhaps getting rid of the banner, keeping the cool cover and using recycled materials ala Staples would result in a product that is more marketable.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.