GeoGuessr and souvenir

GeoGuessr promo and souvenir

Discover the code at Geocaching.com before April 12, 2024 to earn a special souvenir.

If you couldn’t find the hidden tracking code, don’t worry—a second tracking code will appear at the end of the game after guessing all ten locations. Discovering either tracking code will earn the souvenir.

NOTE: Geocaching HQ gives permission for these trackables to be discovered virtually.

The best experience is on desktop and this game will not appear in the GeoGuessr mobile app

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

I got the souvenir. I did not enjoy this as much as I thought I would, as it felt tedious. I was so excited to get a code, only to realize it's for a 30 day free PM trial when you sign up for an annual subscription thru the app.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Surprised 1

I used to be really into GeoGuessr so I was very excited about this. Discovered both trackables and got the souvenir. Thanks!

1 hour ago, C3GPS said:

I just tried this and have no idea what to do. Just navigating around a google map with no instructions on what to click and how to guess.

You are placed into a random location on street view, and you have 2.5 minutes to look around and try to figure out where you are. When you have an idea, or before your time is up, you have to put in a guess using the small map at the bottom right of the screen. A perfect score (which I got for the first time while playing today :O) is 5000, and if you are off by the entire earth you get 0. 

Also: Geoguessr recently became paying only. Wondering if there will be a way for us to get premium on Geoguessr...

Edited by The_Jumping_Pig
added note
Just now, Max and 99 said:

When I guess incorrectly, a screen shows my avatar and a dotted line, leading to a location. I see no connection between the location I am guessing and this new location.

What am I missing?

Your avatar is where you guessed. The line leads to where the final location actually was.

Just now, Max and 99 said:

That's what I assumed but the guess is always wrong.

Well, unless you get a perfect score, yes, you are wrong... you aren't at the exact same location. however, you can see if you were in the correct city, region, country, continent, etc, and try to get as good of a score as you can.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Tried it, lost interest.  A game...  

Same here. I did guess one correctly (I think, the whole thing is pretty vague) but couldn't find the code on the page and not gonna do 9 more just for a Souvenir.  

20 minutes ago, Zatahra said:

I did guess one correctly (I think, the whole thing is pretty vague) but couldn't find the code on the page

Look at the upper left corner of the screen. You should see something similar to a travel bug dog tag. Move your mouse pointer over it and the tracking code should appear.

7 minutes ago, Tungstène said:

Look at the upper left corner of the screen. You should see something similar to a travel bug dog tag. Move your mouse pointer over it and the tracking code should appear.

Well dang - there it is! I took a screen shot and a header was over it but you are absolutely right. Thanks for the help!

Just played the one free game, courtesy of gc.  Did all ten locations and got the tracking code.  Apparently, that one free game is all you get unless you pay for a monthly subscription (can be paid yearly), for which I'm not interested.  Got the "free" souvenir, and that's that.  Of course, others may like it enough to pay for it----personal choice.

Edited by TommyGator

I've always enjoyed travel trivia games... so I did enjoy this one. But that's just me. It did take a bit to figure out how to submit a guess. The one where I got dropped into the middle of a forest was a bit tough, but I got it before the time ran out. 

It is an interesting concept to promote various locations around the world, but its definitely not for everyone.

20 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

GeoGuessr promo and souvenir

Discover the code at Geocaching.com before April 12, 2024 to earn a special souvenir.

If you couldn’t find the hidden tracking code, don’t worry—a second tracking code will appear at the end of the game after guessing all ten locations. Discovering either tracking code will earn the souvenir.

NOTE: Geocaching HQ gives permission for these trackables to be discovered virtually.

The best experience is on desktop and this game will not appear in the GeoGuessr mobile app

Does it work with an iPad?

Was able to get the code easily enough but no souvenir appeared. I saw what the souvenir looks like on someone else's account.

Deleted my Discovered log then re-logged it and still nothing. I could notify HQ but I have to guess that someone will be dealing with a lot of behind the scenes work.

18 minutes ago, Papa EGTH said:

Was able to get the code easily enough but no souvenir appeared. I saw what the souvenir looks like on someone else's account.

Deleted my Discovered log then re-logged it and still nothing. I could notify HQ but I have to guess that someone will be dealing with a lot of behind the scenes work.

You have to log the trackable code that you end up with at the end of the locations...I was confused for a second, too.

I had fun playing it , some locations I have been to before which was fun . I got the souvenier. However i dont want to pay to play geoguesser .

For some reason i have a geoguesser link on my GC profile page.
Any idea how to get rid of it ? 

thanks

• Upvote 1

I had fun playing and got most fairly quickly. However I failed to get the code during the screens and must have written down the final code incorrectly because it fails to find a TB. When I go back via the link it shows completed but not the code. Does anybody know how to redisplay the final code?

14 minutes ago, lodgebarn said:

I had fun playing and got most fairly quickly. However I failed to get the code during the screens and must have written down the final code incorrectly because it fails to find a TB. When I go back via the link it shows completed but not the code. Does anybody know how to redisplay the final code?

I believe if you use an incognito window you can do it all over again, and get the codes.

• Surprised 1
7 hours ago, simmsquest said:

I had fun playing it , some locations I have been to before which was fun . I got the souvenier. However i dont want to pay to play geoguesser .

For some reason i have a geoguesser link on my GC profile page.
Any idea how to get rid of it ? 

I have that on my dashboard too but I haven't even gone near the geoguesser game. I expect it's just a direct link that they've provided for the duration of the promotion and will go away after it's ended.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Played.  Failed on several locations but finally got ten completed  - saw two codes - but no idea on how to get the souvenir based on the code.

Tried both as possible trackables and both were rejected as invalid.

Edited by gcstraggler
added additional info
  • Upvote 1

Well that was exciting (not)..

Launched the Geoguessr site..

Saw the Streetview ..

Clicked on the world map for my guess..

My first guess was correct..

Moused over  the dogtag at the upper left for the trackable code..

Went to the trackable page & Discovered the trackable..

Got the souvenir.

Not much of a game! Took less than one minute total..

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, MNTA said:

First code is for free premium subscription

Hmm, my experience was different I think - after I guessed the first Steetview location more or less correctly on my first try, the dogtag appeared at the top left of the following page (the page that said my answer was correct ) - then when I moused over the dogtag, a Trackable code was revealed - when I went to that Trackable page & logged it as Discovered, I received the souvenir right away. 

I decided to continue playing until I guessed 10 locations correctly, then another different Trackable code was revealed at the final page, and I logged that 2nd Trackable as Discovered too. But I didn’t need to guess 10 locations to receive the souvenir, I already had received it .

(While continuing play , each time I got a correct/close enough location, the dogtag appeared at the top left, and each time it was the same (first )Trackable. 

I played on a laptop so maybe that is the difference?

(I actually didn’t pay much attention to the subscription award notice, since I don’t need it)

Edited by BirdSearcher
  • Upvote 1

I'm wondering if all these different experiences people had are due to using geoguessr on different platforms/browsers. I haven't checked to see if the UX is designed identically across all possible platforms/screen sizes.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 2
On 3/27/2024 at 2:46 PM, Papa EGTH said:

I did. Twice. Still no souvenir.

Trey logging as a trackable. I had same prob until i entered the GG code as a trackable. Souvenir popped up then!

Cheers, Jiggs11

What a disastrous promotion.  The trackable code(s) were too easy to miss, and by then it was too late.  The connection of the souvenir to the trackable code was unclear. The locations were not bad, but at least for some of them it was difficult to know where to start.

Overall, I would give it a C-

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

My son saw me looking at the promotion. He knew that it was geoguesser immediately. He's played it in the past and said lots of folks are really into it and good at it unlike me. Had to find a sign then use google translate to narrow down things.

1 hour ago, MD Crab said:

Did you have to buy a Pro membership in order to play the Geocaching/Geoguesser challenge?  We can't see anyway to try the challenge without paying a subscription fee.

No, it's not required. It is a bit unclear to be fair, but I blame that on the redesigned Geo-guessr layout and website over the late couple years.....it's almost unrecognizable in some ways.

I don't know why everyone's experiences seem to differ. I clicked the link, followed instructions, got the first 'prize' at 5/10, and clear instructions for the TB at 10/10. I didn't know there was a first TB code to find so didn't see that, but I got the souvenir, no confusion. 

Like I said, there must be some inconsistent UI design depending on people's platform. Windows desktop in Chrome seemed just fine. *shrug*

• Upvote 5

I completed the 20 locations, got the code but it wasn’t recognised when I entered it. I’ve tried to go back to check the code but it has dissapeared, nor does it let you restart. Very dissapointing. 

5 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

I don't know why everyone's experiences seem to differ. I clicked the link, followed instructions, got the first 'prize' at 5/10, and clear instructions for the TB at 10/10. I didn't know there was a first TB code to find so didn't see that, but I got the souvenir, no confusion. 

Like I said, there must be some inconsistent UI design depending on people's platform. Windows desktop in Chrome seemed just fine. *shrug*

No, you were doing the challenge seriously, and looking for the code.  Had you been doing it casually, in a "what's this all about?" mode, you would have missed the final code sompletely.  You made that clear in your own description.

• Surprised 2
47 minutes ago, fizzymagic said:

No, you were doing the challenge seriously, and looking for the code.  Had you been doing it casually, in a "what's this all about?" mode, you would have missed the final code sompletely.  You made that clear in your own description.

Perhaps, I mean I only clicked the link from the blog post that said what it was about. 

This was all I really paid attention to from the blog post:

In order to earn the limited-time souvenir:

1. Play The Geocaching Challenge between March 26–April 12 and correctly identify at least one location.
  2. Find the hidden tracking code on the completion message screen.
  3. Discover the code at Geocaching.com before April 12, 2024 to earn a special souvenir.

I didn't even realize there were two codes because right below that is "If you couldn’t find the hidden tracking code, don’t worry—a second tracking code will appear at the end of the game after guessing all ten locations."  I just clicked the link, did the game, got 10, and clearly had the code to discover. 

After 5: 

May be an image of map and text that says 'You earned a geocaching reward! Redeem code Use this code for a free 30 day Geocaching® Premium membership trial when you sign-up for an annual subscription in the mobile app. CONTINUE PLAYING'

After 10:

May be an image of text that says 'Congratulations! You completed The Geocaching Challenge and discovered locations around the world that people have hidden caches for others to find. Let Geocaching take you on your next adventure. Use code for free 30 day Geocaching® Premium membership trial when you sign-up for annual subscription in the mobile app.'

If that's not clear I don't know what is, unless there's some inconsistency in the presentation. :ninja:

I wouldn't necessarily think HQ was to blame for not being clear.  If anything it'd be an unclear experience with geoguessr for anyone who 'came across' the link and wasn't sure what to do.  As others have said there is a learning curve for how to use geoguessr (I've given some pointers on social media from people who don't know how to use the generic interface), so if you can figure that out, the process of indicating that there are 10 locations to find was certainly clear, and the above popups happened at clear progress intervals - 5 and 10. Those popups I think are clear about codes.

I just tried again and didn't notice any code after the first location. So my experience was clear and consistent. Leading me to believe it is different for different people.

50 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

I just tried again and didn't notice any code after the first location. So my experience was clear and consistent. Leading me to believe it is different for different people.

I didn't make it to either 5 or 10.  After the first two, I abandoned the whole thing, as the promised code never appeared.

TEA:  went back and did the 10.  Meh.  Upgrade grade to C from C-.  Never did figure out how to get the first TB code.

Edited by fizzymagic
Update