Jump to content

Calling it a day


Followers 0

Recommended Posts

It is with deep regret that June and I have tendered our resignation of the position of Admin to Geocaching.com

 

We have both worked extremely hard for the benefit of caching in the UK only to be slammed down time after time by a vocal but small group.

 

The final straw comes when a major land owner takes the trouble to post on our forum and he is immediately pooh-poohed.

 

June and I will from here on, retire from the GAGB, but probably will continue cachig and simply fade into obscurity. At least our domestic, social, and work life will return to normal.

 

We send our deepest thanks to all those who have spent the time and effort to support us in the past, it really has meant a lot to us to know that our work was being appreciated by someone.

 

To those who have emailed us personally over the GAGB and other issues, you will all receive personal replies, but please remember that it will take some time.

 

There is no turning back from this decision, the die has been cast.

 

Happy caching

T&J

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

It is with deep regret that June and I have tendered our resignation of the position of Admin to Geocaching.com

 

We have both worked extremely hard for the benefit of caching in the UK only to be slammed down time after time by a vocal but small group.

 

The final straw comes when a major land owner takes the trouble to post on our forum and he is immediately pooh-poohed.

 

June and I will from here on, retire from the GAGB, but probably will continue cachig and simply fade into obscurity. At least our domestic, social, and work life will return to normal.

 

We send our deepest thanks to all those who have spent the time and effort to support us in the past, it really has meant a lot to us to know that our work was being appreciated by someone.

 

To those who have emailed us personally over the GAGB and other issues, you will all receive personal replies, but please remember that it will take some time.

 

There is no turning back from this decision, the die has been cast.

 

Happy caching

T&J


I am genuinely truely sorry to hear that. I am not having a go at any individual member but at the association itself.

I respect the fact you have been the only founding members to even respond and I would ask you reconsider your recommendation.

 

Statistics show that those with the most birthdays live longest.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Icenians:

 

I respect the fact you have been the only founding members to even respond and I would ask you reconsider your recommendation.

 


From talking to T&J that is unlikely. Well done on causing more harm to geocaching than the proposed organisation possibly could.

 

Rich

mobilis in mobili

Link to comment

Steve from Rockratgirl:

 

I'm sorry to hear that you feel all your hard work has been for nothing. But sometimes you have to ask yourself whether you are really working in everyone's best interests.

 

Perhaps the "vocal but small group" was actually speaking for far more Geocachers than the Association realised.

 

Lastly, I hope you can find a way of contributing to Geocaching, which you will find satisfying, but which does not contravene the wishes of others.

 

Best of luck.

Link to comment

Personally I'm sorry to see T&J go as I admire anyone who makes an effort to actually DO something for the benefits of cachers rather than just talk about it. Even if they do make mistakes along the way (they are only human after all).

 

I don't blame them for their decision, though. I'm quite amazed at how confrontational these forums are sometimes.

 

Regards,

Lisa

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

quote:
Originally posted by Icenians:

 

I respect the fact you have been the only founding members to even respond and I would ask you reconsider your recommendation.

 


From talking to T&J that is unlikely. Well done on causing more harm to geocaching than the proposed organisation possibly could.

 

Rich

_mobilis in mobili_


How have I caused harm

 

I am obviously not allowed an oppinion that differs from yours therefore I have harmed it.

I didn't break the privacy statement of the association. I didn't stop it. Hell I didn't even win the poll!

 

50 people out of almost 2000 bothered to vote. About 30 of those were for the association. That's not even half of the last declared number of members.

 

I have never seen anyone quit while winning a poll or vote before and am honestly stunned by this. I'm sure that moderating a forum is a very difficult task but they put themselves in this position by launching an association that a number of people, some silent for good reason, didn't want.

 

I cannot have harmed UK geocaching because nothing has changed except the resignation of some of the moderators in this forum.

 

Last week we didn't have an association and this week we may still have.

 

Statistics show that those with the most birthdays live longest.

Link to comment

As someone once said "Goodbye and thanks for all the fish" icon_wink.gif

 

I would like to express my thanks to Tim & June for all the work they have done as moderators in the last 9 months. I've said it elsewhere and I reiterate that I think they have done a great job. I hope we shall still have the pleasure of hunting wayward bears!

 

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

Well done on causing more harm to geocaching than the proposed organisation possibly could.

 

Rich

_mobilis in mobili_


 

As far as GAGB goes, well I still take an opposing viewpoint but I dispute that I, or most people who have opposed you, wants to damage geocaching. We just disagree about the best way forward.

 

I know we have had our disagreements in the past but at the end of the day we have always overcome them and have been able to remain friends. I trust that will continue.

 

_________________________________________________________

 

Enthusiastic user of GeocacheUK - Information, not control.

 

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

_________________________________________________________

Link to comment

Hi Tim, hi June,

 

felt I had to reply to this.

 

I understand your frustration, impatience, even exasperation with the whole sorry argument over the GAGB. The point of your involvement with GAGB as far as I can see is that yourselves and a few others with experience in these matters set it up with the intention of handing it over as soon as possible. This makes it clear that whoever gets onto the committee will be the ones to make any adjustments necessary to the "constitution" (which I'm sure is part of being on a committee), therefore if anyone reading this who doesn't like what has been put on offer: why not stand for election yourself and make that change? We all have the right to do that, so why the over long threads? Labouring the point seldom does any good.

 

Obviously you don't have time to administrate for GC.com, run your own businesses/private lives AND help out with GAGB. in fact, GAGB should be a vehicle to off-load some of the committee type work you do already (which is greatly appreciated by everyone, I'm sure).

Your frustration must surely come from all the nit-picking over the whole affair which is quite exasperating to read from my own point of view, but form yours must be totally galling. After all, you are only trying to help.

 

Tim and June, please reconsider.

 

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis.

 

GC:UK

GAGB

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Omally:

Your frustration must surely come from all the nit-picking over the whole affair which is quite exasperating to read from my own point of view, but form yours must be totally galling. After all, you are only trying to help.

 

Tim and June, please reconsider.

 


 

Help is always appreciated by people who ask for it, but rarely by people who have it thrust upon them.

Link to comment

At the risk of being labelled a sheep again

(yeh what he said... icon_wink.gif)

I just want to agree with what Omally has posted above. (he's clearly not as mental as his new profile picture would suggest)

 

Please reconsider, but either way many thanks for your help & kind words (You made us feel very welcome as 'newbies' - not always the case on these forums)

Regards,

Gaz, Suni,Jack & Kashi

 

We take our children everywhere, but they always find their way back home...

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by L8 Ed:

 

Help is always appreciated by people who ask for it, but rarely by people who have it thrust upon them.


 

I don't think "thrust" is entirely correct: sure, GAGB was set-up quietly, but it is intended to be thrown open to all comers to run themselves for their own benefit.

 

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis.

 

GC:UK

GAGB

Link to comment

I remember once (not so long ago, in fact) mentioning that those who support you are often more silent than those who are critical - and it seems that this is true, and sadly to all our detriment.

 

I couldn't agree more with Omally when he says about GAGB

 

quote:

therefore if anyone reading this who doesn't like what has been put on offer: why not stand for election yourself and make that change?


 

It seems that is now more true than it ever has been. To any that didn't agree - this is your chance to do things differently.

 

Tim and June, thank you for the amount of effort that you have put into the game. I am sure that people (myself included) don't realise how much effort has been required on your part. I hope that your work with HCC will not be in vain.

 

I am sad that you are leaving the public face of the game, but I am not surprised. I hope you reconsider, but if you don't, I only trust that I will meet you in the field again someday. I have enjoyed hunting your caches, and I will thoroughly enjoy the others other the next months, and hopefully years.

 

Thank you for all your work.

 

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Link to comment

Tim and June - I don't blame you for packing it in - but deeply regret it, especially because of the reasons behind it. Very many thanks for all you have done, it has been appreciated by some of us.

I used to enjoy browsing these forums and occasionally contributing a little but that has now been soured, not by those who, while disagreeing with others' points of view, were prepared to reason their case politely, but by those few who jumped in apparently with no knowledge of the way the present situation has developed and no respect for others' point of view.

I think I will now take an even more backward seat and just watch with sadness the way things are going - perhaps Trigpointing will call more strongly!

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Omally:

 

This makes it clear that whoever gets onto the committee will be the ones to make any adjustments necessary to the "constitution" (which I'm sure is part of being on a committee), therefore if anyone reading this who doesn't like what has been put on offer: why not stand for election yourself and make that change? We all have the right to do that, so why the over long threads? Labouring the point seldom does any good.


 

Unfortunately, whilst appearing to be a good point, it suffers from the experience that I, for one, have of committees and similar organisations.

 

For instance, consider a recent AGM of a very large organisation. According to reports, the meeting voted against a proposal, but the Board had enough proxy votes to make that irrelavent. Also, the idea of reforming from the inside makes people have to join something they dissagree with to stop it.

 

The choice of wording in these things is everything. Saying that you intend to be "the" voice for a whole group, whether members or not, was IMO a bad move. A better choice of words, again IMO, would have been "a" voice, or even just "one of the voices for...". In reality, it can only represent those who are members.

 

I still would not have considered an organisation such as that proposed to be a good idea though.

 

--... ...--

Morseman

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Omally:

 

Help is always appreciated by people who ask for it, but rarely by people who have it thrust upon them.


 

I don't think "thrust" is _entirely_ correct: sure, GAGB was set-up quietly, but it is intended to be thrown open to all comers to run themselves for their own benefit.

 

Yes I think it is correct, It was not meant to be a specific but a generalization. An observation on life and the different perspectives on help people have. For example The family at No 10 say the helpful old lady next door. However the people at No 14 say the interfering old busy body next door.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

I remember once (not so long ago, in fact) mentioning that those who support you are often more silent than those who are critical - and it seems that this is true, and sadly to all our detriment.


Sorry, are you looking at a different poll than me? The current poll is a poll for T&J to guage whether they stay involved in GAGB. It does not speak for the other members. They said that.

Now the idea of the poll was for those for the GAGB as it currently stood, those against, and those that don't care. I would suggest you check the results because when I last looked the yes camp were winning.

 

A silent majority can only be regarded as one thing. The majority that are silent. You cannot claim they are silent yes votes. They either don't know or don't care.

quote:

I couldn't agree more with Omally when he says about GAGB

 

quote:

therefore if anyone reading this who doesn't like what has been put on offer: why not stand for election yourself and make that change?



Somebody really isn't reading what I say. If I join an association I don't want I become a member and have to follow the rules. If I don't become a member of the GAGB, they still claim to represent me as I am a geocacher. I cannot win that as the GAGB currently stands. I don't think this is particularly difficult to understand.

quote:

Tim and June, thank you for the amount of effort that you have put into the game. I am sure that people (myself included) don't realise how much effort has been required on your part. I hope that your work with HCC will not be in vain.


I agree.

 

Statistics show that those with the most birthdays live longest.

Link to comment

I have only been caching since February but have been reading and infrequently contributing to the forums since. I have done several T&J caches and their's are amongst the best. Obviously those of you who live a distance from Winchester won't be as familiar as others with T&J caches, but personally I trust T&J because of the quality of the work I have seen them do. What little experience of caching I have gives me a similar opinion on the other moderators and members of the "magnificient seven".

 

It seems SO sad now that this medium of communication via forums has allowed this situation to occur - it would never have happened this way in face to face meetings - people seem a lot braver when they can hide behind Avatars and nicknames.

 

I am now really worried about the future of negotiations T&J are in the process of having, particularly with the likes of HCC and in general worried about the future of the public face of geocaching.

 

In future everyone should think a lot more carefully about what they write, and especially how it can be (mis)construed by others, especially officials who might be reading the posts.

 

I totally respect T&J's decision. However, one thing an association would do in this case is to continue the work in progress when a fall out such as this happens. When negotiations are made by individuals rather than an organisations they can very quickly fall apart.

 

Today is a sad day for Geocaching in the UK.

 

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

 

Don't you think that sooner or later someone will notice that its a mobile phone not a GPS your using???

Link to comment

There would appear to be a nucleus of community members who are prepared to let their own intransigence and pedanticness destroy a lot of postitve work that has been done by T & J to further the cause of caching in the UK.

 

Whilst I have to agree that it is your right to voice your opinion on these fora I also wish to reserve my right to differ quite totally with the views you seem to represent.

 

In recent months the calm reason and sense of T & J's moderation work has quietly pervaded these fora.

 

The work they appear to have done in promoting the sport with HCC, the way they have worked to allow moderation of UK caches to be placed in UK hands, the peacekeeping work that was done when there was dispute with another web based group.

 

Geocaching is a relatively new organisational group in UK, perhaps 24 months old (?). There is a proven history in the formation of a group that is often summed up as Forming, Norming, Storming Re-Forming. If, as a communnity, we are at the Storming stage let us very quickly move on to re-forming and surviving. To survive we will need both the fresh ideas of new members, but importantly the reasoned conscience of people of knowledge to counterbalance the militancy of others.

 

I can understand, fully, whu T & J have done what they have done. I think the criticism that has been recieved, from some members, has been positive and creative. Unfotunately I feel others have voiced their opinion, and re-iterated it, in a way that is totally inappropriate and damaging.

 

I hope that T & J will, in the fullnes of time, be able to re-consider.

 

Dave Draycott

 

dodgydaved

 

I'm NOT lost, I know exactly where I am, I'm here!

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Icenians:

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

I remember once (not so long ago, in fact) mentioning that those who support you are often more silent than those who are critical - and it seems that this is true, and sadly to all our detriment.


Sorry, are you looking at a different poll than me? The current poll is a poll for T&J to guage whether they stay involved in GAGB. It does not speak for the other members. They said that.

Now the idea of the poll was for those for the GAGB as it currently stood, those against, and those that don't care. I would suggest you check the results because when I last looked the yes camp were winning.

 


 

When did I say that comment had anything to do with the poll?

 

It was more of a general observation. Every now and then, T&J get criticised for their very good work, and those who support them keep quiet.

 

quote:

I couldn't agree more with Omally when he says about GAGB

 

quote:

therefore if anyone reading this who doesn't like what has been put on offer: why not stand for election yourself and make that change?


Somebody really isn't reading what I say. If I join an association I don't want I become a member and have to follow the rules. If I don't become a member of the GAGB, they still claim to represent me as I am a geocacher. I cannot win that as the GAGB currently stands. I don't think this is particularly difficult to understand.


 

Then make the change.

 

You (and other people) have noted that the association is all-encompassing, and it probably shouldn't be (at least not without the consent of all Geocachers, which would be impossible). At the moment, it's still a blank canvas. It can still be adapted. Yet it's also still got all the opportunity in the world to do some good , yet people are happily spitting on it, which isn't helping.

 

People have responded (really quite rudely) to Phil Allen, which isn't constructive either, and was actually quite offensive (For example, someone claimed that he didn't even exist!).

 

Some statements (on both sides of the argument) have been completely out of order. Hell, someone (on whatever side it was) felt it necessary to try to swing the vote of the poll by voting under different ID's.

 

Blow these arguments for a game of Soldiers. Actually, stuff the game of soldiers too. I'm off caching instead.

 

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Dodgydaved:

There would appear to be a nucleus of community members who are prepared to let their own intransigence and pedanticness destroy a lot of postitve work that has been done by T & J to further the cause of caching in the UK.

 

Whilst I have to agree that it is your right to voice your opinion on these fora I also wish to reserve my right to differ quite totally with the views you seem to represent.

 

In recent months the calm reason and sense of T & J's moderation work has quietly pervaded these fora.

 

The work they appear to have done in promoting the sport with HCC, the way they have worked to allow moderation of UK caches to be placed in UK hands, the peacekeeping work that was done when there was dispute with another web based group.

 

Geocaching is a relatively new organisational group in UK, perhaps 24 months old (?). There is a proven history in the formation of a group that is often summed up as Forming, Norming, Storming Re-Forming. If, as a communnity, we are at the Storming stage let us very quickly move on to re-forming and surviving. To survive we will need both the fresh ideas of new members, but importantly the reasoned conscience of people of knowledge to counterbalance the militancy of others.

 

I can understand, fully, whu T & J have done what they have done. I think the criticism that has been recieved, from some members, has been positive and creative. Unfotunately I feel others have voiced their opinion, and re-iterated it, in a way that is totally inappropriate and damaging.

 

I hope that T & J will, in the fullnes of time, be able to re-consider.

 

Dave Draycott

 

dodgydaved

 

I'm NOT lost, I know exactly where I am, I'm here!


Not once have I called into question T&J's admin responsibilities or decisions. I have just gone back through the threads and checked. I haven't had a go at any individual. I have kept this debate as much as possible on the issue I am campaigning against. The only times I have got even close to getting personal is when people fail to come up with a valid arguement and resort to having a go at me.

 

Would you please show me this critisism of T&J? My position in this has nothing at all to do with the admin of this group. Only the GAGB.

 

I have tried at every step to word my protests at the GAGB and the founder members as a group. I don't recall, and cannot find, any instance where I have singled them out.

 

I don't doubt that they have put in a great deal of work on this forum and am on record at the top of this thread asking them to reconsider.

 

Statistics show that those with the most birthdays live longest.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

It is with deep regret that June and I have tendered our resignation of the position of Admin to Geocaching.com

 

There is no turning back from this decision, the die has been cast.

 

T&J


 

icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

Link to comment

icon_frown.gif A sad day for us all icon_frown.gif

 

We can't say this came as a surprise and really don't blame T&J for resigning. It seems to us that all they ever tried to do was improve caching for all of us.

 

The time/effort they have put into helping the game is quite amazing, we doubt there are many around who would be willing or able to make such a commitment.

 

A big thankyou from us for all your hard work.

 

Chris n Maria

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Chris n Maria:

_ icon_frown.gif A sad day for us all icon_frown.gif _

 

We can't say this came as a surprise and really don't blame T&J for resigning. It seems to us that all they ever tried to do was improve caching for all of us.

 

The time/effort they have put into helping the game is quite amazing, we doubt there are many around who would be willing or able to make such a commitment.

 

A big thankyou from us for all your hard work.

 

Chris n Maria


 

I wish to be associated with the last comment.

 

Neil

Link to comment

One of the things that drew me to GCing was the lively friendly UK GC community which, a month or so ago, seemed a million miles from the flame wars that beset the geek and foodie usenet groups I also frequent. Now the forums here and at GCUK seem to be heading that way fast.

 

I have no strong opinions either way on the main bones of contention being bandied about at this time - I have seen this all before in hiking, mountain-biking and off-road forums, especially the land access issues and will reserve any judgement/offer of help until I'm a little more 'in the know'.

 

However, I do know that whilst I have yet to meet another cacher, I have benefitted from the help of a fair number already. Chris n Maria exchanged supportive and instructive mails and sorted out some wrinkles with my GPS that were spoiling my fun. Their site, along with Mark's, Teasel's and a host of others have been a great fast track way to learning the sport/hobby. Last but not least, it has never taken Tim and June much more than 24 hrs to approve my caches.

 

Having finally found a indoor and outdoor pastime that I can be involved in on my own, with a couple of my kids or the whole family to any number of levels, it is my hope that this is a blip on the radar and that there are smoother times ahead.

 

bignoseduglyguy

www.bignoseduglyguy.com - obligatory caching page now added!

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by bignoseduglyguy:

One of the things that drew me to GCing was the lively friendly UK GC community which, a month or so ago, seemed a million miles from the flame wars that beset the geek and foodie usenet groups I also frequent. Now the forums here and at GCUK seem to be heading that way fast.

 

I have no strong opinions either way on the main bones of contention being bandied about at this time - I have seen this all before in hiking, mountain-biking and off-road forums, especially the land access issues and will reserve any judgement/offer of help until I'm a little more 'in the know'.

 

However, I do know that whilst I have yet to meet another cacher, I have benefitted from the help of a fair number already. Chris n Maria exchanged supportive and instructive mails and sorted out some wrinkles with my GPS that were spoiling my fun. Their site, along with Mark's, Teasel's and a host of others have been a great fast track way to learning the sport/hobby. Last but not least, it has never taken Tim and June much more than 24 hrs to approve my caches.

 

Having finally found a indoor and outdoor pastime that I can be involved in on my own, with a couple of my kids or the whole family to any number of levels, it is my hope that this is a blip on the radar and that there are smoother times ahead.

 

bignoseduglyguy

http://www.bignoseduglyguy.com - obligatory caching page now added!


 

What makes you think that the UK geocaching community is any different from any other randomly selected bunch of individuals?

 

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Link to comment

T & J

 

Thnkyou for all your hard work for us UK geocachers.

 

Maybe I'm part of the silent majority who should have spoken out in your support at an earlier time. I rarely post on contentious issues because it's bad enough spending ages per day reading about them without being part of them. They are happening more and more often, those of us who have been around these last two years can see the trend. I'm not saying the proving of our views is a good or bad thing, just that like many others I look primarily at geocaching as a hobby, relaxation, fun etc and the forums are beginning to cause the opposite. The two of you have helped contribute a great deal to those positive aspects in your moderation, cache placing, and the endless supply of T&J bears of which I recently became a proud owner! icon_smile.gif

 

I've served on many committees and been involved with groups in other ways over the years and I've yet to see anyone who does the job feel that they are appreciated. It always seems everyone can tell you where you are going wrong but now it's a chance for those people to step forward and have the largely thankless task of moderating for us and see it from the other side.

 

Once again, thankyou for everything you have done and hope that being back "in the field" will bring back your enthusiasm for the hobby.

 

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

Link to comment

Please don't give up on us T&J and the other UK admins too.

 

Being an open forum, you're bound to get a few ***** (substitute whatever word you want) that will type without thinking, be rude, have extreme opinions, etc. That's just the nature of the beast with an open forum.

 

We all know they are in the huge minority and that most of us have nothing but gratitude for the work that you have done. Hell, most of us are even scared to post these days just in case we inadvertantly get dragged into a flame war. For a few that shout so loudly, there are many times more of us who just sit and shake out head at their rantings, wishing they'd leave the admins alone to do their excellent work.

 

We wish all the 'retiring' admins all the best in whatever they do from now on and still live in hope that they'll come back and bring back some sanity to us all.

 

Steve

 

If you can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it's usually a train coming !

Link to comment

Like I have said many, many times before, thanks Tim & June for all the work you have put into helping everyone out. I am certain the no one bears grudges against you in any way, just against GAGB so don't take things personaly. I really truly hope to see you continue caching and playing a big part in things in the time to come. Good luck with whatever you choose to do next, Dan.

 

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

 

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk - Stash Notes, forums & Much more...

Link to comment

Last thursday I bought my ETrex Legend, while on holiday in the USA. Yesterday I found my first cache, it was vandalised and thrown in a ditch, today I check out the UK forum and find people at each others throats ...... how foolish of me to think this was a "walk in the park "

 

I will percivere ...... pepperpot. icon_rolleyes.gif

Link to comment

What a lovely weekend I had down in Torquay. Meanwhile, things on here move so fast that I have no chance to express my views, or even vote on a poll before it is closed.

 

Tim and June have always had my full support in the work they have done for the caching community. They know this, as I have said so in email and when I have met them.

 

It seems to me there are two issues and I can't see why they have become entangled.

 

One is the issue of T&J as part of the new GAGB. one can agree or disagree with its existence, and I might understand why they would see some of the things written on here and think it was time to give up. (I happen to disagree with the notion they should give it up, but I could imagine why they might come to that decision)

 

The second is the issue if T&J as moderators on here. For the life of me I can't find any good reason why they should resign from that position, since there seems to be generally no problem with their handling of the forum and the other bits of GC.COM admin they do. Yeah OK occasionally someone takes a pot shot at the admin, but it is not persoanl and is not even usually anything serious either.

 

IMO the two issues should net be related. If T&J want to resign from GAGB, then that is one thing, but I don't see why they have to stop moderating the forum on here or approving caches.

 

Please think again! Or at least give us the reason for dumping the moderators hat.

 

I'm just puzzled now.

 

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Link to comment

I strongly suspect that the link is that the moderators feel (quite rightly in my opinion) along the lines of "Why should we dedicate any more of our time to helping caching in the UK when all we get is complaint after complaint after complaint about it?"

 

Its irrelevant whether their time input has been on GAGB or on forum moderation or on cache approval. Its still their valuable time they have invested in the activity, to very little thanks.

 

Rich

mobilis in mobili

Link to comment

But the 'complaints' are only coming from at most half a dozen, mostly inexperienced cachers out of nearly 2000 cachers who are served by the moderators/approvers.

 

Its very unfortunate that the nature of forum discussion greatly magnifies effect of the dissenters.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Team Paradise:

Hell, most of us are even scared to post these days just in case we inadvertantly get dragged into a flame war. For a few that shout so loudly, there are many times more of us who just sit and shake out head at their rantings, wishing they'd leave the admins alone to do their excellent work.

 

We wish all the 'retiring' admins all the best in whatever they do from now on and still live in hope that they'll come back and bring back some sanity to us all.

 


 

Hear hear!

 

I'll get me coat

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

 

Its irrelevant whether their time input has been on GAGB or on forum moderation or on cache approval. Its still their valuable time they have invested in the activity, to very little thanks.


 

A couple of points that I would like to make.

 

1. Why do people read postings in an 'agressive' voice if it appears that the other person doesn't share their point of view? (Come to that, it seems that some people read all postings as if the other person is being agressive, anyway)

 

2. We all make decissions about what we want/have to spend our time doing. To expect people to appreciate people who's chosen activity involves setting up organisations purporting to represent people nationally, without asking if that's what the other people want, is probably a sure fire way to get some negative feedback. No matter how well intentioned the actions and ideas were.

 

All the above was typed in a calm, rational voice, to put only my opinions and point of view. If anything said upset you, well, that's your problem.

 

--... ...--

Morseman

Link to comment

quote:
I strongly suspect that the link is that the moderators feel (quite rightly in my opinion) along the lines of "Why should we dedicate any more of our time to helping caching in the UK when all we get is complaint after complaint after complaint about it?"

 

El10T has a fair point- BUT it doesnt mean stop being a moderator and a verifier! just stop moving it forward with land owners etc etc....because at the end of the day if all caches are verified by the yanks again it will also make there caching lives worse. Why not save your own skin and stay where you are????? all you have to do to keep things at bay is to stop doing things for everyone un nesscisarliy,. If it benefits you aswell everyone else may aswell just keep doing your stuff!!!!

 

Pid

 

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Bad, I'm Bad you know it you know!mikejackson1-vi.gif

 

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Link to comment

In your position I would do the same.

 

Lets see what happens as local authorities learn about Geocaching and start prohibiting it from their land.

 

And let us all sit back and reflect on how easy it is to destroy so much hard work with a few posts on a forum.

 

Thanks

 

Chris

 

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

Link to comment

Blimey...four days away from the forum because of work commitments and look what I've missed.

 

The 'Pro T&J' bit of the poll would certainly have received more votes (mine at least) if the poll had been open long enough for me to vote!

 

I'm sure T&J's minds are made up, but I'll say it anyway...

 

PLEASE change your minds T&J...any large group of people will always contain a few like the ones who've offended you (and I'd have been offended if I were you)...sadly the loudmouths are always the loudest (eh?) and you shouldn't take their opinions as being representative of the majority who are grateful for all you do.

 

So many caches, so little time...

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 0
×
×
  • Create New...