Event Stacking

SW00P

Recently I put an event in to be published on the same day and time of another event 22.5 miles away. I had to change the time because of event stacking rules. Today I see two events GCABJHM and GCAAQCD published on same day and almost at the same time. Distance between almost the same.

What am I missing about these rules? 

I expect to hear the reviewer didn't see the other event.

• Funny 1

THE RULE: "This event is not allowed because it's too close to your previously published event in both time and distance. There needs to be at least 4 hours between events, or events separated by 1.0 mile." 

In my mind Event Stacking, an event IMMEDIATELY following a prior event at the same coordinates, makes environmental and economic sense. 

Less driving and the results and costs associated with that driving.

Possible cost of two sites. Participants time.  Two events at different coords at different times or two events at same coords in succession? JUST SAYIN'

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 3

An event from 10:00am to 10:30am, then an event from 10:30am to 11:00am at the same coordinates.

Like a WWFM, then a M&G.

THE RULE: was a direct quote from the reviewer note I received after the second event was submitted. I did correct a misspelled word in the note.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
1 hour ago, BAKO1313 said:

An event from 10:00am to 10:30am, then an event from 10:30am to 11:00am at the same coordinates.

Why not just have a single hour-long event from 10am to 11am? That would make just as much "environmental and economic sense", wouldn't it?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2
On 8/15/2023 at 10:16 AM, BAKO1313 said:

There needs to be at least 4 hours between events, or events separated by 1.0 mile."

Different states will have regional guidelines they follow. I know in parts of Minnesota the distance has to be at least 20 miles, not just 1 mile.

In 2022 on the day theyGS tried to break the record for the # of caches found there were 3 events separated by approximately  10 miles or more and at 10AM, 2PM, and 6 PM. Almost all the  attendees were at all 3. And that day you had to drive through the area of the local NFL stadium while people  were heading to the preseason game between events 2 and 3. No problems and all within the rules.

Edited by Wacka
On 11/7/2023 at 7:52 PM, VangeRover said:

So if I arrange two meetings over 20 miles apart and with at least four hours between the two meetings, that will be allowed?🤔

Totally depends on where you want to organise those meetings and the "local" stacking rules. As they are all different over the world and mostly set by local reviewers, so do check with them. While these are still (local) "guidelines", I do see them implemented as "rules" as no one seems to be allowed to escape them, for whatever reason.

Gone are the days where we (accidentally) once had four events in the same city on the same day, all set for very different reasons by very different people. We all decided get to know each other and to join each other at all the respective events for fun. And surely, fun we had while there were no stacking rules to keep us from having that. Until this day I'm still not sure what these stacking rules are trying to prevent (or why) or what problem they are supposed to solve.

Edited by NLBokkie
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
1 hour ago, NLBokkie said:

Until this day I'm still not sure what these stacking rules are trying to prevent (or why) or what problem they are supposed to solve.

Primary to stop people from abusing events to pad their stats.

Secondarily to encourage events to spread out for the benefit of the community. 4 events in one area spread over 4 weekends is better for the community than 4 events in 1 weekend.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Primary to stop people from abusing events to pad their stats.

If this is true then power trails are also banned for the same reason.

I think that the intention is just to lighten the workload of voluntary reviewers. It may be frustrating to use time for publishing a bunch of actually private stacked events.

• Funny 1
9 minutes ago, arisoft said:

I think that the intention is just to lighten the workload of voluntary reviewers.

It would actually be less work if I didn't need to check for event stacking.  For the majority of event caches that meet the guidelines upon first submission, it's an extra manual step.

• Helpful 2
47 minutes ago, arisoft said:

If this is true then power trails are also banned for the same reason.

Physical geocaches have a very clear and simple 528 ft proximity limit.

Events have no automatic proximity limits for distance or time because it's a judgment call by the Reviewer. However, there are relatively few events compared to physical geocaches.

Events also have different guidelines from caches. They can be indoors in commercial locations, for example. 

13 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Physical geocaches have a very clear and simple 528 ft proximity limit.

Does this stop people to pad their stats? No, it does not.

14 hours ago, Keystone said:

It would actually be less work if I didn't need to check for event stacking. 

I agree, but if events are used to pad stats without limit, the total workload would be greater.

Edited by arisoft