Weird map/menu bar behaviour

BuckyBoyEcht

13 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Same here, and this is serious for me, as I'm about to go travelling and I need to make pocket queries :yikes: :sad: NOW!!!!

Hi

You probably still are able to acces your pocket queries as the pages are not offline, but just not linked in the user interface.

Try https://www.geocaching.com/account/dashboard to go to your dashboard or https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx to directly go to your pocket query configuration. 🙂

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Bergloper said:

Hi

You probably still are able to acces your pocket queries as the pages are not offline, but just not linked in the user interface.

Try https://www.geocaching.com/account/dashboard to go to your dashboard or https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx to directly go to your pocket query configuration. 🙂

I have now discovered I can get to the query bulk load by clicking on a cache icon and caches still have that at the top of the page. Managed downloads. Whew :D. Leaving tomorrow for my adventure.

I have seen the same issue with View Browse Map.  It occurs with both of my browsers, Safari and Chrome.  Using Mac version 12.4.

I do not see the Geocaching logo, nor Play, Community, Shop and my geocaching name links.  There are No links available. 

I do see the links when using the new map, but this is a different view and smaller area.  It is important to have the use of both maps showing the same links.

Oh yes, I do NOT see the message link in either maps, although when you hover over the area where the message link is, it then shows up.

Map not showing any links.png

Hoping this will be fixed soon too. When planning my vacation, I use cachetur.no with the companion user-script. While GCHQ doesn't have anything to do with that script, the error also breaks the script which makes my planning much more difficult.

Crossing my fingers that the problem will be resolved quickly

• Funny 1

I'm having the same issue. While on the browse map, none of the normal links show up that used to be there. I thought I'd seen something awhile back about GC abandoning the "browse" map. I hope that's not true as the "search" map is fine for some things but it's very laggy and harder to work with.

• Upvote 2
On 6/2/2022 at 7:12 PM, worrellsquirrel said:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, our engineers have been notified.

Hi!

Is there any update on when we can expect the map working as usual again? It's also my default page and the one that I'm mainly using, so, it would be nice to have it working again!

Thanks,

Christian

• Upvote 1

I have an older mac here with high sierra installed. Old version Safari shows the right data in the bar. New (curren) version Firefox refuses to show the info on the green bar.

One other thing is on the new map every time i open it, the filter is set to not show everything. This is soooo annoying. Also on iPhone (ios15) this behaviour with the map and most of the times the map doesnt load.

So PLEASE Groundspeak. Repair these features or remove the new map version and bring back the old working maps.

HQ’s engineers aspire to fix major bugs within 2 engineering sprints / 4 weeks. This bug was first reported 9 days ago.

What may feel major based on your specific flows across the site, may not necessarily arise to that same level based on HQ’s internal priority matrices. One big part of prioritization is whether there are simple workarounds.

In this particular case, the map and as such the main functionality of this page, is working just as expected. What is broken is the header as it does not show the expected links.

How can I currently navigate away from the browse map?

• Use the back controls of your web browser
  • Leave the browse map by going to a cache details page via one of the many options on the map
  • Leave the browse map by switching to the Search map via the respective icon
  • Open the browse map in a new tab instead of the same tab & keep a second tab with a working header page

All of the above are interim solutions until this has been fixed. We realize that if you want to go straight to Lists or open any other header link from the browse map, this will now require one extra click. Thank you for your patience.

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 2
  • Helpful 1
10 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

HQ’s engineers aspire to fix major bugs within 2 engineering sprints / 4 weeks. This bug was first reported 9 days ago.

What may feel major based on your specific flows across the site, may not necessarily arise to that same level based on HQ’s internal priority matrices. One big part of prioritization is whether there are simple workarounds.

In this particular case, the map and as such the main functionality of this page, is working just as expected. What is broken is the header as it does not show the expected links.

• Leave the browse map by going to a cache details page via one of the many options on the map
  • Open the browse map in a new tab instead of the same tab & keep a second tab with a working header page

All of the above are interim solutions until this has been fixed. We realize that if you want to go straight to Lists or open any other header link from the browse map, this will now require one extra click. Thank you for your patience.

More excuses. Over a week and on it goes. Why did this happen in the first place? Doing updates without understanding the consequences?

• Helpful 4
On 6/9/2022 at 10:13 PM, reybr said:

Hoping this will be fixed soon too. When planning my vacation, I use cachetur.no with the companion user-script. While GCHQ doesn't have anything to do with that script, the error also breaks the script which makes my planning much more difficult.

A quick-fix for the CA-script:

Open the home-page for your tampermonkey-scripts, press CTRL+F to get an option to force updates of scripts. Do an update of the CA-script. It will reinstate theCA-bar on the map. Placed differnetly, but will work for now.

The script will be adjusted if needed when bug is fixed at geocaching.com.

• Surprised 1
On 6/18/2022 at 2:50 AM, KmanNZ said:

Hi there

Recently the green task bar at the top of the page has started going blank after I click on browse map.

Is this something to do with the website?

I haven't changed any settings.

IMG_7967.jpg

Not recent.  Three weeks and counting, counting and counting. 

• Helpful 1
On 6/10/2022 at 5:30 PM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

It is always a problem to prioritize work in the right way. This bug is very obvious and annoying for many customers, and I think that should also be an important point to take into account with priorization.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 6/23/2022 at 3:33 AM, Flupkion said:

It is always a problem to prioritize work in the right way. This bug is very obvious and annoying for many customers, and I think that should also be an important point to take into account with priorization.

Also, this should be fixed before moving on to other projects because whatever happened could affect that. Fixing something you broke should be a priority before moving on is the logical thing to do.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 2

My first thought (likely - hopefully - wrong) is that HQ want everyone to use the other map and this map to become obsolete, and this was done to take people away from it. It can't take people away from it though while the other map doesn't do everything users need, like show the bigger picture, and ALL caches, whether found or not.

Just me being paranoid ;) :ph34r:...

• Upvote 3

My mental model of what's going on at Groundspeak (black box with interesting sounds coming out) is that they've lost access to the source code for the Browse Map.  Contractually, operationally, dunno, I'm speculating.  So they built a new one.

Probably, a change to some shared code (the title bar module, say, or low-level support code) accidentally broke the Browse Map without anybody even touching the latter (bit decay).  Reverting a bad change is easy, but I'm assuming they didn't want to lose the benefits of that faraway change, whatever they are.

I hope the internal usage stats show the Browse Map is still wildly popular, which'd improve the odds they won't just kill it.  I use it too; it's the best feature of the site and worth $10 of my annual fee.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
On 6/25/2022 at 1:28 AM, Viajero Perdido said:

My mental model of what's going on at Groundspeak (black box with interesting sounds coming out) is that they've lost access to the source code for the Browse Map. 

Many many years ago at a bank I worked for they had an application which had just worked for years, come the time where they needed to recompile it due to an operating system upgrade they had lost the source code, the only record they had was a hard copy printout which was a 2 foot high stack of music ruled, fan fold paper. They had to employ someone to re-type the source from the printout :wacko: 

• Funny 3
  • Surprised 1
3 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

Many many years ago at a bank I worked for they had an application which had just worked for years, come the time where they needed to recompile it due to an operating system upgrade they had lost the source code, the only record they had was a hard copy printout which was a 2 foot high stack of music ruled, fan fold paper. They had to employ someone to re-type the source from the printout :wacko: 

I used to work with someone who had a number of programs written for a PDP-11. He didn't have the source for them, and considered them essential to his day-to-day workflow, so he wrote a PDP-11 emulator for the platform he was working on at the time. That allowed him to run these old PDP-11 programs on his current work system.

And then he changed platforms again, and ported his PDP-11 emulator to the new platform, so he could run those old PDP-11 programs on that work system too.

I have no idea when he finally gave up and learned how to use some less-ancient software instead.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
On 6/10/2022 at 8:59 PM, Rustynails said:
  On 6/10/2022 at 10:30 AM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

It's now been more than four weeks, they failed.  Also, no update from HQ. Another post suggested they're probably ignoring the issue to force people to use the bad version. It's probably true but I continue to use the user-friendly older version to plan my route.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
18 hours ago, ch+j said:
 "componentStack": "\n    at title\n    at svg\n    at div\n    at div\n    at div\n 

Das wird bei mir anstelle der Karte eingeblendet wenn ich die Sprache auf deutsch einstelle.

Auf englisch funktioniert die Karte.

This is another Issue and has nothing to do with this tread. In this forum are some other Bug Reports like yours, but GS never fixed it (maybe, because not everyone has this problem). Sometimes it helps to use a different Browser. (Some Browser like IE are outdated and don't support modern js/css)

Das ist ein anderes Problem und hat nichts mit diesem Thread zu tun. Es gibt aber weitere Bug Reports, die dasselbe/ähnliche Problem/e beschreiben, aber GS hat diese Fehler nie behoben (vermutlich, weil das Problem nicht bei jedem auftritt). Es hilft manchmal, den Browser zu wechseln.

• Helpful 1

Update: The GClh browser addon has issued an update that fixes the buggy browse map header and brings back the content.

But it still seems to be a bug in HQ's code on the website. Maybe a dev lackey can review the script update to find out how GClh fixed their bug. ^_^

• Helpful 2
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

But it still seems to be a bug in HQ's code on the website. Maybe a dev lackey can review the script update to find out how GClh fixed their bug. ^_^

That's a nice idea 😅, but it will not work.

The GClh has a backup of the old header that just needed to be put in the correct position. The new header is based on the React Framework, which has some differences from basic html/css/js

So the header itself doesn't look broken (it still works on other sites). It looks like the js isn't loaded at the browse map page, and hence the header root is left blank.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
On 6/25/2022 at 2:28 AM, Viajero Perdido said:

Probably, a change to some shared code (the title bar module, say, or low-level support code) accidentally broke the Browse Map without anybody even touching the latter (bit decay).  Reverting a bad change is easy, but I'm assuming they didn't want to lose the benefits of that faraway change, whatever they are.

I think the reason this kind of weird regressions keep happening is using modern software engineering in which small changes are integrated continuously instead of being released all at once in big release steps. But doing it that way relies on solid automated testing. No one can test through all the functions of the site manually for every little change that is done.

How else could something like this slip through? It apparently happens on all combinations of browser and OS. That means no one even opened the browse map to check that it was still working before releasing the change that broke it.

But hey, there are workarounds and this is not the end of the world. It just feels annoying and ...unnecessary.

• Upvote 3
5 hours ago, 2Abendsegler said:

The problem on the website still exists. The others talked about a script, a browser add-on, which prevents the empty header.

If they know what caused the problem, it shouldn't take more than a month to fix.  And it looks like I was correct in an earlier post. 6-10-22 "Why did this happen in the first place? Doing updates without understanding the consequences?" 

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1