The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I currently working on a list for caches that can be done naked :D:D:D

Is that why you guys like going at night? B)

No...thats another list :DB)B):D

Would that be your webcam list?! :):unsure:

One of Duncans! rules is what happens in the Jeep...stays in the Jeep. :):D

Hey Now!

Why don't I like where this thread is going?

Here's a link to GoBolts' new caching buddy: ajo.

Please someone tell me if I've gone too far, I'll take it a step further.

End transmission.

D!

:DB)B)TOO FUNNY .. he hangs with Team Skinwalker! Can you add a geocacher to your watchlist? His gallery is hilarious.

I am currently working on a list for caches that can be done naked :D:D:)

If that's what you're looking for...check out this guy here.

I met him at HQ in Washington. Let's just say I didn't ask him to go out caching with me!

I am now working on a list of caches and tb's that I never want to touch...because I know where they have been!

:unsure::):DB)B)

B):D:DTOO FUNNY .. he hangs with Team Skinwalker! Can you add a geocacher to your watchlist? His gallery is hilarious.

I don't believe that I've seen any of those among the GC.com banner pics... B):D

Funny . . . I was thinking the same thing.

Hmm . . . I wonder . . . don't they get sunburned . . . you know . . . down there? :unsure:

:tired::blink: I'm going to Hawaii for a couple of days next week :blink::ph34r: (Oahu). If you want coins or TBs to go there, get them to me by Sunday evening (the 16th). If we aren't home you can drop them in "Sit Awhile" (GCMBY5) and let me know. :):D

Is that container BIG enough for little habu to fit in? I have a TB tag I would be happy to activate... :D:D:blink:

:):D I'm going to Hawaii for a couple of days next week :tired::blink: (Oahu). If you want coins or TBs to go there, get them to me by Sunday evening (the 16th). If we aren't home you can drop them in "Sit Awhile" (GCMBY5) and let me know. :D:D

Is that container BIG enough for little habu to fit in? I have a TB tag I would be happy to activate... :blink::ph34r::D

But are you willing to wear a bag hat? (see link) :D:blink:

Is that container BIG enough for little habu to fit in? I have a TB tag I would be happy to activate... :ph34r::blink::tired:

But are you willing to wear a bag hat? (see link) :blink::blink:

Heck! I'd wear two to get to go to Duke's for their mud pie, Moose's for their fish tacos and see a sunset from the Shorebird!!! :D:):D

Is that container BIG enough for little habu to fit in? I have a TB tag I would be happy to activate... :D:D:P

But are you willing to wear a bag hat? (see link) :ph34r::D

Heck! I'd wear two to get to go to Duke's for their mud pie, Moose's for their fish tacos and see a sunset from the Shorebird!!! :D:D:D

:D:D If you can fit into the ammo can, I'll think about it (and yes you have to wear the hat) :P:P

Is that container BIG enough for little habu to fit in? I have a TB tag I would be happy to activate... :D:D:P

But are you willing to wear a bag hat? (see link) :ph34r::D

Heck! I'd wear two to get to go to Duke's for their mud pie, Moose's for their fish tacos and see a sunset from the Shorebird!!! :D:D:D

:D:D If you can fit into the ammo can, I'll think about it (and yes you have to wear the hat) :P:P

An ammo can on an airplane...that should go over well. I just hope the bomb squad doesn't blow it up with Habu inside it. :D

Ok, the thread has been idle for over a day now, so I will chime in. I got my new 60csx yesterday and the thing is amazing. I get a full load of satellites (11) while sitting in my office at work. On my 60cs, I was lucky to see one satellite from my office (not that I would ever play with the thing during working hours). :laughing: I don't have the big memory card yet (1GB), but I look forward to loading most of the US and then not having to load maps ever again. RM

Ok, the thread has been idle for over a day now, so I will chime in. I got my new 60csx yesterday and the thing is amazing. I get a full load of satellites (11) while sitting in my office at work. On my 60cs, I was lucky to see one satellite from my office (not that I would ever play with the thing during working hours). :laughing: I don't have the big memory card yet (1GB), but I look forward to loading most of the US and then not having to load maps ever again. RM

:laughing::laughing: What maps will get get City Naviagtor 8? We haven't bought any yet.

I got my new 60csx yesterday and the thing is amazing. I get a full load of satellites (11) while sitting in my office at work. On my 60cs, I was lucky to see one satellite from my office (not that I would ever play with the thing during working hours). :laughing: I don't have the big memory card yet (1GB), but I look forward to loading most of the US and then not having to load maps ever again. RM

So now you have a tricked-out Jeep Rubi' and you have a Garmin CSX. What more could you possibly want, bunched socks? Yes, you must adopt bunched socks Dave and here's why.

"Grace" is the favor of God granted even though not asked for nor even deserved, you know, like a mother's love for a child. "Cool" is the secular form of grace and is granted to you by others in your life that know and possibly admire you.

The point is that you are just one tiny little step away from being "cool" in my book even though "playing with your 'thing' at work" almost qualifies you all by itself. Don't let me down Dave, go for the bunched-socks look and become "cool" in my book.

O, did I mention a RocketBoat? Seriously, a RocketBoat would make you almost as "cool" as the Splashes and almost as "cool" as $kimmer and Mr. The Vulture. Trust me on this.

GetRdone Dave.

Your pal,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Ok, the thread has been idle for over a day now, so I will chime in. I got my new 60csx yesterday and the thing is amazing. I get a full load of satellites (11) while sitting in my office at work. On my 60cs, I was lucky to see one satellite from my office (not that I would ever play with the thing during working hours). :( I don't have the big memory card yet (1GB), but I look forward to loading most of the US and then not having to load maps ever again. RM

:(:( What maps will get get City Naviagtor 8? We haven't bought any yet.

CN v8 is just the next map update for CN which has the latest NavTech map data. I wanted it because it now has my neighborhood included which v7 did not. The difference between City Select and City Navigator is the size of the map segments (CN's are large) which makes no difference if you have a lot of memory in your GPS. I think that they will no longer be updating CS, so if you want updated map data, you have to buy CN. RM

I got my new 60csx yesterday and the thing is amazing. I get a full load of satellites (11) while sitting in my office at work. On my 60cs, I was lucky to see one satellite from my office (not that I would ever play with the thing during working hours). :( I don't have the big memory card yet (1GB), but I look forward to loading most of the US and then not having to load maps ever again. RM

So now you have a tricked-out Jeep Rubi' and you have a Garmin CSX. What more could you possibly want, bunched socks? Yes, you must adopt bunched socks Dave and here's why.

"Grace" is the favor of God granted even though not asked for nor even deserved, you know, like a mother's love for a child. "Cool" is the secular form of grace and is granted to you by others in your life that know and possibly admire you.

The point is that you are just one tiny little step away from being "cool" in my book even though "playing with your 'thing' at work" almost qualifies you all by itself. Don't let me down Dave, go for the bunched-socks look and become "cool" in my book.

O, did I mention a RocketBoat? Seriously, a RocketBoat would make you almost as "cool" as the Splashes and almost as "cool" as $kimmer and Mr. The Vulture. Trust me on this.

GetRdone Dave.

Your pal,

Harmon

OK, just look here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...b7-8830d019325d Those are real bunched socks, not those sissy shorties. Also, didn't you notice the bunched socks on that group photo you posted? :(

O.K. Folks time for some serious San Diego Area Geocaching Discussions...

The date is May 26th, 2007. The event is Geowoodstock V. There is a "location selection committee" so I would have to do a write up/application for San Diego to be chosen. If you want more details, I can email anyone the "checklist". We have to move quickly if we are going to submit a request fo it to be held in San Diego.

THE BIG QUESTION: If Geowoodstock 5 were held in San Diego how much help and support would there be? The main support areas needed would be in 1. web page design/layout and management for the pages once the site is up and running. 2. Volunteers to help run the event. 3. Coordinate cache runs and things to do on the day of the event. There would need to be an awesome planning committee and reqular meetings to plan the [MEGA] event. VOLUNTEER COMMITMENT IS PARAMOUNT!! The expectation is that this event must be even better than the ones in the past so there are HUGE shoes to fill...

The GW V event itself is only for one day so it could look and feel like a picnic (but for approx. 2500 + adults, kids and pets). Most people come to cache first. Socializing is a secondary priority but there are lots of impromptu parties in the evenings. Last years main venue was a campground where most of the activity was. But cachers went as far away as 10 to 20 miles to hit cache dense areas for the numbers.

The next BIG question is: What location would work best overall for: (a. cache density) (b. cache friendly area) (c. camping and hotels located nearby for attendees). My first thought was Anza Borrego but that possses some logistic challenges. My second thought was Petco Park (yeah right)... Fiesta Island would be perfect if they allowed camping.

The event is free so raising money thru "t" shirts and registration fees must cover all the financial requirements.

There should be pre events like meet and greets, a historical cache run, BBQ, etc. and a CITO event the day after.

There are rules and guidelines we must understand and follow but they aren't to restrictive.

This could be awesome! (and a chance to get a lot of out of state swag!)

HELP HELP HELP HELP :(:(:(:(:(:(

As you know, (since we have been discussing this offline!), I am in. I was actually talking with Coins and Pins yesterday about another project we are working on, so I would like to head up the coin project for the event for starters!

The first spot that popped into my head was Lake Skinner in Temecula. There is not enough room for everyone to camp at the lake, but there are other campgrounds nearby, and plenty of hotels in town.

The downsides are...we are not that cache dense yet...but we do have a year to get ready!

The bigger downside is they have the balloon and wine festival every year around that time. If they have it on Memorial Day weekend, then we are done. The only other weekend allowed by the organizer of the Geowoodstock events is the Saturday of the July 4th weekend. July in Temecula is no picnic. :(

Just my thoughts...

CN v8 is just the next map update for CN which has the latest NavTech map data. I wanted it because it now has my neighborhood included which v7 did not. The difference between City Select and City Navigator is the size of the map segments (CN's are large) which makes no difference if you have a lot of memory in your GPS. I think that they will no longer be updating CS, so if you want updated map data, you have to buy CN. RM

The main technical difference between CN and CS is that CN has more attribute information attached to the points of interest (POI). (As far as I can tell, the POI databases -- streets, hotels, restaurants, etc. -- of CN and CS are identical.) Theoretically, then, CN will be able to generate better routes than CS. And, having both products, my unscientific results are that CN does generate slightly better routes than CS.

There is another difference between CS and CN: CN is considerably more expensive than CS (and it's also considerably more expensive to update than CS.) There is some question in my mind as to whether the improved quality of the route is actually worth the extra $$$. The routes generated by CS are, at least, adequate and many times they are as good as CN (in fact, many times they are the same routes, because, for example, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to calculate that the fastest route from Barstow to Albuquerque is to follow I-40...)

If they do stop supporting CS, I hope that they will drop the prices on CN. My gut tells me that that they would actually make more money if they dropped the price. (I know that I wouldn't skip as many upgrades as I have if the upgrade prices were cheaper.)

It wouldn't surprise me if they would drop support for one of the two products -- Garmin has done an absolutely lousy job of distinguishing between the two products. If you look at Garmin's web page, they give no information about why you should pay the extra bucks for CN. (I had to look at a third party web site to find out that CN had more attribute information than CS). If they stop updating the cheaper product, now you have a reason to buy the more expensive one.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
I'm going to be having surgery on monday to remove my gall bladder, got two stones. I'm stuck at 937. I just have no energy to walk so caching on hold. So just letting everyone know.

At least your surgeon can score a find (hopefully!!). :(
I'm going to be having surgery on monday to remove my gall bladder, got two stones. I'm stuck at 937. I just have no energy to walk so caching on hold. So just letting everyone know.

:( We were wondering why Skillet was out there all alone. Here's to a speedy recovery John!! :(

Hey Skillet..do you need an 0-dark-thirty-am cache partner this weekend?

Geowoodstock V.

I'll throw my hat into the ring along with volunteering Caching Widow. I'm sure she could design a slick logo for coins and shirts.

Let me know when our first committee meeting will be.

Cheers,

PassingWind

:(:( We would of course help, but realistically..do we really need to find a place for 2500 people at one time? That sounds like a convention not a picnic. That's tough. Who funds this event?

Keep one of the stones for yourself and cache the otherone. :( I understand they are quite nice. Whatever ... let your Dr KNOW you want um!

And a painfree speedy recovory

Edited by dulcimoo

Keep one of the stones for yourself and cache the otherone. :( I understand they are quite nice. Whatever ... let your Dr KNOW you want um!

And a painfree speedy recovory

Yea I'm thinking one of them would make a cool travel bug. :(:(

Geowoodstock V.

I'll throw my hat into the ring along with volunteering Caching Widow. I'm sure she could design a slick logo for coins and shirts.

Let me know when our first committee meeting will be.

Cheers,

PassingWind

:(:( We would of course help, but realistically..do we really need to find a place for 2500 people at one time? That sounds like a convention not a picnic. That's tough. Who funds this event?

The event is "self funding" Attendees would cover any costs for camping or lodging. The sale of "t" shirts and coins add to the "kitty" for administrative costs. The tickets for a BBQ or eating event would pay for itsself as well. GW IV had a company cater the BBQ.

The date is May 26th, 2007. The event is Geowoodstock V. There is a "location selection committee" so I would have to do a write up/application for San Diego to be chosen. If you want more details, I can email anyone the "checklist". We have to move quickly if we are going to submit a request fo it to be held in San Diego.

THE BIG QUESTION: If Geowoodstock 5 were held in San Diego how much help and support would there be? The main support areas needed would be in 1. web page design/layout and management for the pages once the site is up and running. 2. Volunteers to help run the event. 3. Coordinate cache runs and things to do on the day of the event. There would need to be an awesome planning committee and reqular meetings to plan the [MEGA] event. VOLUNTEER COMMITMENT IS PARAMOUNT!! The expectation is that this event must be even better than the ones in the past so there are HUGE shoes to fill...

The GW V event itself is only for one day so it could look and feel like a picnic (but for approx. 2500 + adults, kids and pets). Most people come to cache first. Socializing is a secondary priority but there are lots of impromptu parties in the evenings. Last years main venue was a campground where most of the activity was. But cachers went as far away as 10 to 20 miles to hit cache dense areas for the numbers.

The next BIG question is: What location would work best overall for: (a. cache density) (b. cache friendly area) (c. camping and hotels located nearby for attendees). My first thought was Anza Borrego but that possses some logistic challenges. My second thought was Petco Park (yeah right)... Fiesta Island would be perfect if they allowed camping.

The event is free so raising money thru "t" shirts and registration fees must cover all the financial requirements.

There should be pre events like meet and greets, a historical cache run, BBQ, etc. and a CITO event the day after.

There are rules and guidelines we must understand and follow but they aren't to restrictive.

Sign me up!

I'm thinking Mission Bay.

-Cool in the summer

-Campland by the Bay

-Lots of Hotels close by

-Lots of open space for a picnic

Just ideas.

D!

The main technical difference between CN and CS is that CN has more attribute information attached to the points of interest (POI). (As far as I can tell, the POI databases -- streets, hotels, restaurants, etc. -- of CN and CS are identical.) Theoretically, then, CN will be able to generate better routes than CS. And, having both products, my unscientific results are that CN does generate slightly better routes than CS.

There is another difference between CS and CN: CN is considerably more expensive than CS (and it's also considerably more expensive to update than CS.) There is some question in my mind as to whether the improved quality of the route is actually worth the extra $$$. The routes generated by CS are, at least, adequate and many times they are as good as CN (in fact, many times they are the same routes, because, for example, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to calculate that the fastest route from Barstow to Albuquerque is to follow I-40...)

If they do stop supporting CS, I hope that they will drop the prices on CN. My gut tells me that that they would actually make more money if they dropped the price. (I know that I wouldn't skip as many upgrades as I have if the upgrade prices were cheaper.)

It wouldn't surprise me if they would drop support for one of the two products -- Garmin has done an absolutely lousy job of distinguishing between the two products. If you look at Garmin's web page, they give no information about why you should pay the extra bucks for CN. (I had to look at a third party web site to find out that CN had more attribute information than CS). If they stop updating the cheaper product, now you have a reason to buy the more expensive one.

I have both products also and I have not noticed any difference in routes. With that said, I paid $119 for a full copy CN v8 which is exactly what I paid for my first copy of CS (v5 at the time). CS is cheaper now, but that is because they are discontinuing it. I can't see buying an outdated version of CS that will never be upgraded (at any price). Just my opinion. RM

I got my new 60csx yesterday and the thing is amazing. I get a full load of satellites (11) while sitting in my office at work. On my 60cs, I was lucky to see one satellite from my office (not that I would ever play with the thing during working hours). :( I don't have the big memory card yet (1GB), but I look forward to loading most of the US and then not having to load maps ever again. RM

GetRdone Dave.

Your pal,

Harmon

OK, just look here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...b7-8830d019325d Those are real bunched socks, not those sissy shorties. Also, didn't you notice the bunched socks on that group photo you posted? :(

You cool Dave.

Sign me up!

I'm thinking Mission Bay.

-Cool in the summer

-Campland by the Bay

-Lots of Hotels close by

-Lots of open space for a picnic

Just ideas.

D!

Count me in!

I think San Diego would be a great place for the event. We have the desert for the daring, mountains for the adventurous, the coast for the lowlanders and puzzle valley for the sickos.

Good Advice! Always ask the mechanic for the old parts. You want to make sure that he didn't just leave 'em in and charge you for work that he didn't do! :(

I have both products also and I have not noticed any difference in routes. With that said, I paid $119 for a full copy CN v8 which is exactly what I paid for my first copy of CS (v5 at the time).

WhooHoo! I guess there is actually hope, then. :( $120 is what I paid for a full copy of CS v6 awhile back. At that time, CN would have cost you about $360 unless you got it (as most people did) included with a StreetPilot. Since it appears that they seem to be selling CN at the old CS price, there really is no reason to keep the CS product going.

Postscript: The price for CN Europe has also dropped considerably but it's still a hefty $300 (street) -- and CS Europe has been discontinued completely.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
I have both products also and I have not noticed any difference in routes. With that said, I paid $119 for a full copy CN v8 which is exactly what I paid for my first copy of CS (v5 at the time).

WhooHoo! I guess there is actually hope, then. <_< $120 is what I paid for a full copy of CS v6 awhile back. At that time, CN would have cost you about $360 unless you got it (as most people did) included with a StreetPilot. Since it appears that they seem to be selling CN at the old CS price, there really is no reason to keep the CS product going.

Postscript: The price for CN Europe has also dropped considerably but it's still a hefty $300 (street) -- and CS Europe has been discontinued completely.

Here is where I bought CN v8. You will probably find it for less once it shows up on Amazon.com.

Also, I talked to Garmin about updating CN NT v7 (to v8) that is on Mrs. Rocket Man's StreetPilot 2720 and they said it would be available in August and the update would be $75. They took down my name, and will send the update DVD and I won't have to pay for the software until I go to install it.

As an alternative, I can use my second unlock code that came with CN v8 to load maps onto the 2720. The only problem is that since it isn't the NT (compressed) version, the whole US won't fit in the unit at one time. Garmin did tell me the non NT maps would work in the unit though.

RM

I have both products also and I have not noticed any difference in routes. With that said, I paid $119 for a full copy CN v8 which is exactly what I paid for my first copy of CS (v5 at the time). CS is cheaper now, but that is because they are discontinuing it. I can't see buying an outdated version of CS that will never be upgraded (at any price). Just my opinion. RM

REI...REI...REI...REI

They give you a refund for the old and you buy the new...it was a wash when I went from v6 to v7.

Why pay for upgrades???? Will you guys never learn?

REI...REI...REI...REI

The date is May 26th, 2007. The event is Geowoodstock V...

But of course! I mean, after all, San Diego is one of the country's premier destinations for conventions of all sorts. Although this may not be a "Convention Center" type convention, it is definitely a "convention" and San Diego certainly has the facilities to host an event like this. I have all kinds of connections in the Hospitality Industry and with all the convention folks, so I can and will certainly help in any way I can. When's the first planning meeting? Do you need some help on the application to the Selection Committee?

But of course! I mean, after all, San Diego is one of the country's premier destinations for conventions of all sorts. Although this may not be a "Convention Center" type convention, it is definitely a "convention" and San Diego certainly has the facilities to host an event like this. I have all kinds of connections in the Hospitality Industry and with all the convention folks, so I can and will certainly help in any way I can. When's the first planning meeting? Do you need some help on the application to the Selection Committee?

I have only ideas for the write up to the selection comittee. First and formost, we need a location. Dave (C4) suggested Lake Skinner for the actual event/picnic and I like the lake but I'm afraid that is too small for folks who want to camp, especially on Memorial Day week end. I have a list of items the selection people want addressed in the application. I will send it to you via email Tom.

I have only ideas for the write up to the selection comittee. First and formost, we need a location. Dave (C4) suggested Lake Skinner for the actual event/picnic and I like the lake but I'm afraid that is too small for folks who want to camp, especially on Memorial Day week end. I have a list of items the selection people want addressed in the application. I will send it to you via email Tom.

I guess one thing to decide right off the bat is whether we should communicate as a planning group via an e-mail distribution list or through a separate thread on the forums or both. It seems this topic should (eventually) probably have its own thread.

Edited by FlagMan

I suggested the lake, since this years Balloon and Wine Festival had 38,000 people attend over all 3 days. I figured it would easily hold us for the main event. However, it is a bit out of the way, and we don't have the density up there that there is in San Diego.

Personally, I think if we can find facilities in SD, we would be a much better draw. Since working with a local Tourism Board is highly recommended on the list of requirements, I think Tom has a great angle here.

In addition, I have been in communication with 9Key, who spearheaded this years GW event. He told me that not everyone showed up for dinner at the event, but they fed nearly 700 people that night. The park they were at had 355 campsites, and about half of those were filled with cachers.

We will definately set up a separate forum for planning if we get the bid. For this years event, I know they selected a few places from all the applications they received as finalist bids, and then later selected the location. I think this Mega Event in San Diego would draw even more attendies that this years event did.

I guess one thing to decide right off the bat is whether we should communicate as a planning group via an e-mail distribution list or through a separate thread on the forums or both. It seems this topic should (eventually) probably have its own thread.

I recommend setting up a Yahoo or Google Group dedicated to this. We can discuss our progress privately and invite members as needed. This would offer the best media for distribution and dioscussion of the planning process.

PassingWind

I recommend setting up a Yahoo or Google Group dedicated to this. We can discuss our progress privately and invite members as needed. This would offer the best media for distribution and dioscussion of the planning process.

PassingWind

let us know when and where. we'll help

On another subject...

Does anyone know any hunters that have one of those "Game Cameras"?

The type you can set out and have them shoot pics when something is moving in the field of vision...

A little more specificity, please. How is it to be use? Inside or out? I can't offer what I believe you want, but I may have an alternative . . .