The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Has anybody seen this yet?

Waymarking

Brought to you by Groundspeak. So far only Premium Members are allowed to visit this beta site, but I understand that it will open to all when it is ready.

Now, should I move my Locaionless cache, Border Monuments - Don't Cross That Line over to the site? If I do, it will archive on GC.com, but if I don't, it will archive by January anyway.

Parsa, did you recieve an e-mail about this? What do you plan to do?

Has anybody seen this yet?

Waymarking

Brought to you by Groundspeak. So far only Premium Members are allowed to visit this beta site, but I understand that it will open to all when it is ready.

Now, should I move my Locaionless cache, Border Monuments - Don't Cross That Line over to the site? If I do, it will archive on GC.com, but if I don't, it will archive by January anyway.

So it looks like EVERYTHING in the world will now have their own set of coordinates.....McDonalds, manhole covers, a flower, lightpole, porta-potties.......seems a bid ridiculous. :)

I did'nt recieve an e-mail. Just read your post.

I don't think your locationless cache finds will disappear from GC. Just no new ones.

I like the idea of waymarks because (in the FAQ) they can use sites that before now were forbidden.

Your favorite view at a National park - OK.

Since nothing is left at the actual site - NO problem with any Park policy. No getting permission (unless private property) to post a site.

Cool. :)

Edited by nscaler
I did'nt recieve an e-mail. Just read your post.

I don't think your locationless cache finds will disappear from GC. Just no new ones.

I like the idea of waymarks because (in the FAQ) they can use sites that before now were forbidden.

Your favorite view at a National park - OK.

Since nothing is left at the actual site - NO problem with any Park policy. No getting permission (unless private property) to post a site.

Cool. :)

I recieved an e-mail becuase I am a locationless cache owner. The e-mail said that if I move it over to Waymarking.com it will be archived on gc.com and locked from additional logs. But still availiable for viewing. If I don't move it, the same thing will take place in January '06.

Rediculous? Maybe, but the good thing about it is that it is not madatory. If you don't want to log it you don't have to. I don't think I will be logging any Mc Donald's restaurants, but I may log an interesting Murel, or an airplane crash site, if I find one. And will probally see how many people are ineterested in marking a border monument.

So that's the new evolution of locationless caches? I wonder if the stats will still be recorded on the gc.com pages, or if we should all be rushing around trying to find locationless caches before they all get archived?

Yes I understand that anybody that moves thier locationless to the new site will have thier locationless archived immediatley, and anybody that doesn't will have it archived in Jan. '06.

Yes, I got a very nice letter from Jeremy saying my cache is going to be axed whether or not I move it. So, I might as well move it over sometime before January.

I'm just wondering whether to start from scratch, or post a list of the previously found bells to honor the hard work of the cachers who braved roadside dangers to log bells. Conversely, if I start over, it will give everyone some easy-to-find waypoints to start with.

What do you all think I should do? Here's my locationless:

The Bells of El Camino Real

Parsa

I'm reposting this since we're on a new page. I want to make sure people see it before Wednesday.

Several cachers are meeting at the cache location for Patriotic Quiz (GCP0QP), and then going out to Vista for a mini cache-a-thon. The weather report says it won't be too awfully hot (78 high). You'll have to solve the simple puzzle first to find the location.

The meet time is 3:30 PM. Bring flowers. :) (Just joking, but it would make good personal camo.)

Participants so far include Parsa, dhsundance, Princess Toadstool, and idiosyncratic.

So that's the new evolution of locationless caches? I wonder if the stats will still be recorded on the gc.com pages, or if we should all be rushing around trying to find locationless caches before they all get archived?

Yes I understand that anybody that moves thier locationless to the new site will have thier locationless archived immediatley, and anybody that doesn't will have it archived in Jan. '06.

This was on the waypoint page:

What happens to all the old locationless caches?

If you are a Premium Member and own a locationless geocache, we invite you to create a category on Waymarking.com. Once you have created your category we ask that you archive the geocaching.com listing to avoid confusion. Should you decide not to create a new category, your locationless cache listing will be grandfathered and remain as it is until you decide to archive it. No future locationless caches will be listed on the geocaching.com website.

What about virtual caches?

No new virtual geocaches will be listed on Geocaching.com, but if there is a suitable category for submitting your location on Waymarking.com, please feel free to submit a new waymark. If you are a Premium Member and no category exists, you can create a new category for posting your waymark.

No more virts eh? Well that gets rid of a lot of historical and public sites where it's impossible to have a physical container.

I guess we'll have to be even more creative in how we hide micros.

The big thing with the Waymarking site will be the ability to download or view these cateogries and finds without being overwhelmed. It would be nice to make it Palm/Paperless friendly.

This was on the waypoint page:

What happens to all the old locationless caches?

If you are a Premium Member and own a locationless geocache, we invite you to create a category on Waymarking.com. Once you have created your category we ask that you archive the geocaching.com listing to avoid confusion. Should you decide not to create a new category, your locationless cache listing will be grandfathered and remain as it is until you decide to archive it. No future locationless caches will be listed on the geocaching.com website.

Strange there seems to be a contradiction here. This is straight from the e-mail I got:

Once you accept, your locationless cache on Geocaching.com will be archived and locked from future logs. This is a necessary step in order to prevent confusion. If you decide not to transfer to Waymarking.com, you will be free to keep your locationless cache active on Geocaching.com through the rest of the year, provided you continue to maintain it. On January 1st, 2006, we will be archiving all locationless cache listings on Geocaching.com. All previous find logs will be preserved.

SD Folks,

I've started to re-release some of my puzzles that I had in SD on the poor souls of Central jersey. Thanks to all of you there for serving as guinea pigs of sorts.

THe upshot is that now you can sit and watch them bang their heads, smug in your own knowedge that you have solved them already (that is those of you who HAVE solved my puzzles there can be smug...if you're not already...but I digress...)

I have but one humble request: Please do not give them any hints. I'm sure that it won't be long before they figure out I've done some fo these before, so please refer their possibly whiny e-mails begging for help to me. ;)

Just sit back and enjoy the pain-fest! It's gonna be a hoot!

And I fully expect to be "whacked" by some large Jersey capo for this.

--TT--

SD Folks,

I've started to re-release some of my puzzles that I had in SD on the poor souls of Central jersey.  Thanks to all of you there for serving as guinea pigs of sorts.

THe upshot is that now you can sit and watch them bang their heads, smug in your own knowedge that you have solved them already (that is those of you who HAVE solved my puzzles there can be smug...if you're not already...but I digress...)

I have but one humble request:  Please do not give them any hints.  I'm sure that it won't be long before they figure out I've done some fo these before, so please refer their possibly whiny e-mails begging for help to me.  :P

Just sit back and enjoy the pain-fest!  It's gonna be a hoot!

--TT--

Hey Vinnie, who dis guy name Pi...um I mean TT ?

PVSteve.gif

Some interesting reading on how some people define New Jersey. (Maybe a source for you next puzzle :P )

Edited by PassingWind
SD Folks,

I've started to re-release some of my puzzles that I had in SD on the poor souls of Central jersey.  Thanks to all of you there for serving as guinea pigs of sorts.

I have but one humble request:  Please do not give them any hints.  I'm sure that it won't be long before they figure out I've done some fo these before, so please refer their possibly whiny e-mails begging for help to me.  :P

Just sit back and enjoy the pain-fest!  It's gonna be a hoot!

--TT--

I see you're starting off easy on them :P .

Although, I must confess I had a little help on the SD version. I haven't even found it yet, but I do have the coords - just haven't made time to go west.

I wonder if those watchers (currently 3) are SD cachers or Jersey?

I have but one humble request:  Please do not give them any hints......

So now I have to calculate the price of keeping my mouth SHUT. This is getting absolutely juicy! But it wouldn't be Jersey without a little graft, would it?

It's a good thing we got that book thing off the open market!

Edited by FlagMan

Since changing identities seems to be acceptable, I finally got around to changing mine this morning.

Idiosyncratic is now Miragee, a name I borrowed from one of my favorite horses, a Paso Fino named Mirage.

Princess Toadstool and I had a great time caching with Parsa and dhsundance this afternoon. Today was a record caching day for me. Thanks to Parsa and dhsundance, and thanks again to P.T. for driving. notworthy.gif

I am answering my own question........ anyone who is headed out to Palm Springs soon and looking for a hike... Murray Canyon is a nice 4mrt that follows a creek and ends and a waterfall and pools. There is nice shade and a breeze. No dogs allowed $8 per adult.

A great way to get some outdoor exercise in even tho it is crazy hot out.

Since changing identities seems to be acceptable, I finally got around to changing mine this morning.

Idiosyncratic is now Miragee, a name I borrowed from one of my favorite horses, a Paso Fino named Mirage.

Princess Toadstool and I had a great time caching with Parsa and dhsundance this afternoon. Today was a record caching day for me. Thanks to Parsa and dhsundance, and thanks again to P.T. for driving. notworthy.gif

I guess this means that the rest of us will have to stop using our nickname for you.

QUOTE (Cornerstone4 @ Aug 17 2005, 10:31 PM)

Hey I recognize that last picture! That's where C4 got his driving lesson. 

Ouch! 

So please do refresh us on the details.

Ok, since you asked, but I am really trying to forget the whole thing! :blink:

A few days back, I decided to swing down to RB to grab some of the 1/1 (or thereabouts) caches before I made the trek North for home. As it turns out, I was grabbing some of the Tranquility series that night. As I was leaving my first stop, the fairer half of HelBob Duo arrived on the scene. (Sorry Bob!)

We chatted for a minute, and then I was off. Two stops later, I was at said Hippos. It took me a bit, but I made the grab. As I was leaving, Helen was just starting her search. As I was backing up, I noticed she was looking in the wrong place. I should have been paying attention to what I was doing, and not her search! :P

Anyway, there was a crew cab truck with a really long bed in the lot behind me and just to the side. As I was backing up, I heard a funny noise. I looked in my mirror, and see this big-ol truck right there. I got out, and sure enough, the noise was my trunk caving it! :lol: The truck was lifted high enough that it's bumper was right in the middle of my trunk. There was a bit of paint on the bumer that rubbed right off, but my trunk is worse for the wear!

So now Helen is making male driver jokes about me. :lol: It wasn't my fault! I was trying to look out for a misguided lady cacher! :lol:

C4

QUOTE (Cornerstone4 @ Aug 17 2005, 10:31 PM)

Hey I recognize that last picture! That's where C4 got his driving lesson. 

Ouch! 

So please do refresh us on the details.

Ok, since you asked, but I am really trying to forget the whole thing! :blink:

A few days back, I decided to swing down to RB to grab some of the 1/1 (or thereabouts) caches before I made the trek North for home. As it turns out, I was grabbing some of the Tranquility series that night. As I was leaving my first stop, the fairer half of HelBob Duo arrived on the scene. (Sorry Bob!)

We chatted for a minute, and then I was off. Two stops later, I was at said Hippos. It took me a bit, but I made the grab. As I was leaving, Helen was just starting her search. As I was backing up, I noticed she was looking in the wrong place. I should have been paying attention to what I was doing, and not her search! :P

Anyway, there was a crew cab truck with a really long bed in the lot behind me and just to the side. As I was backing up, I heard a funny noise. I looked in my mirror, and see this big-ol truck right there. I got out, and sure enough, the noise was my trunk caving it! :lol: The truck was lifted high enough that it's bumper was right in the middle of my trunk. There was a bit of paint on the bumer that rubbed right off, but my trunk is worse for the wear!

So now Helen is making male driver jokes about me. :lol: It wasn't my fault! I was trying to look out for a misguided lady cacher! :lol:

C4

And she seems like such a nice lady too. My ol' heart goes out to you.

No good deed goes unpunished, did y' learn anything?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Anyone lose a GPS near Ranch House Cache in Penasquitos Preserve?

I saw a notice at a kiosk, and the finder still has it. I forgot his name but his number is 619-208-4106. He said he found it about two months ago following a festival of sorts.

It's a Magellan, so it can't be a big loss :blink: .

Congrats FishNJack!

Interesting name Miragee. Mirage with an extra "e". Is that French for "mirage"?

:P No hablo French. :D

Miragee is a name I've used on the Internets for quite a few years. ;)

When I had my horses, one of my favorites was Mirage, a beautiful Paso Fino. Here is a picture of him (scanned from an old 35mm slide.).

Miragee.jpg

My "pet name" for him was Miragee. When I needed a user name about six years ago, that was the name I used.

The other name was sort of an "accident," even though it was apt. :o

Changing names? How gauche. :D

D!

So now Helen is making male driver jokes about me.  It wasn't my fault! I was trying to look out for a misguided lady cacher! 

C4 

And she seems like such a nice lady too. My ol' heart goes out to you.

No good deed goes unpunished, did y' learn anything?

Hey, be nice. ;)

For my problem, I blame the Garmin. :D Dang thing won't decide where it wants to point. :D

C4 was being so nice! Being the typical male, tho, he had his eyes :P not on his business. :):o:)

Thought you all might be a kick out an e-mail I got from a Jersey cacher about the puzzle I released on them:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TucsonThompsen,

RE: Somewhere in Hell.

OK, so I've reduced my options down to two.

Put the cache on my kill filter, or beg for help.

I have no pride, so here is what I'm thinking.

[edited to avoid possible spoiler releases]

Finally, with the little bit I know about you, I'm assuming the solution is

elegant and logical, not tedious and arcane. If I'm wrong here, then I'm going

to have serious troubles. My head is too warped. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the frustration!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two days in and I've reduced them to begging for hints.

Aww....they're just like you guys back there! :)

--TT--

<snip>

Two days in and I've reduced them to begging for hints. 

Aww....they're just like you guys back there!  :rolleyes:

--TT--

...that was soooo last year!

Bwahaha! You are such a mean bas...guy.

I only know one solution to a TT puzzle so I apply it to everything.

Have a fun time at the Pizza event guys, sorry I couldn't be there to eat, drink and be merry with you all. We're off down to Baja for a couple of days of R&R.

Talking of events, I know there are at least 3 of us (me, zatyko and devhead) who like to take part in the various running events that go on around town, and I was wondering if there'd be much interest in making one of them into an event cache? It usually costs $20-30 to enter, though some also take donations/pledges from your family and friends. You can often enter as a team, which would make it more fun, and they're usually in the sort of place where you can have a picnic afterwards, so non-runners could still join in the fun.

Here's a good local running calendar - I would suggest a few possibilities:

10/02/05 Balboa Park, 5K walk and 10K run benefitting AIDS charities in SD county.

10/08/05 Pacific Beach, 8K run as part of Pacific Beachfest

10/09/05 Downtown to Coronado, 8K over the bridge

11/06/05 Balboa Park, 5K Susan Komen Race for the Cure

Any takers?

Edited by Dr. Boggis
Have a fun time at the Pizza event guys, sorry I couldn't be there to eat, drink and be merry with you all. We're off down to Baja for a couple of days of R&R.

Talking of events, I know there are at least 3 of us (me, zatyko and devhead) who like to take part in the various running events that go on around town, and I was wondering if there'd be much interest in making one of them into an event cache? It usually costs $20-30 to enter, though some also take donations/pledges from your family and friends. You can often enter as a team, which would make it more fun, and they're usually in the sort of place where you can have a picnic afterwards, so non-runners could still join in the fun.

10/02/05 Balboa Park, 5K walk and 10K run benefitting AIDS charities in SD county.

Any takers?

Sure! A month and a half should give me enough time to get back into 5K shape :o

Team name suggestion: "Cache me if you can" hehe :D

~Jess

Any takers?

Sure! A month and a half should give me enough time to get back into 5K shape :D

Team name suggestion: "Cache me if you can" hehe :D

~Jess

"Cache me if you can!" HaHa! :D I would do the 5K thing if there were 30 caches along the way! :o

Edited by TrailGators

Any takers?

Sure! A month and a half should give me enough time to get back into 5K shape :D

Team name suggestion: "Cache me if you can" hehe :o

~Jess

Where have I heard that name before.

Just one of many MIA T-Bugs of mine.

RM

Any takers?

How 'bout the Midnight Madness bicycle ride next Sat night?? 20 easy miles starting at midnight....seems like last year I did see some cachers there....I think they took 1st prize for the best costume......Any takers?

I have a potentially sensitive subject here, and don't want to hurt any feelings, so forgive me if I step on any toes.

I have recently been lucky enough to score FTF honors on 3 of the Ramona Girls recent cache placements. My issue is, on the first one, the initial posted coordinates were off by several hundred feet. The next one was really close, but then 1 last night was a good 60 feet off.

We ran into RedRox and Condorman today, and they were FTF on a couple of their new ones last night as well, and experienced missed numbers by 80 feet or so as well. They sent Ramona Girls an email letting them know about the problem.

They told me they got a response tonight apologizing for the numbers being off. They told Rox that the numbers were right on in Google Earth.

Now, my question is this...does anyone feel that posting numbers that are generated on Google Earth is an acceptable means of placing a cache? I have found GE to be very helpful for planning my route to a cache, but not overly accurate enough to get me within an acceptable range without using my gps.

I am not slamming anyone, I am just curious what you all think.

C4

I have a potentially sensitive subject here, and don't want to hurt any feelings, so forgive me if I step on any toes.

I have recently been lucky enough to score FTF honors on 3 of the Ramona Girls recent cache placements. My issue is, on the first one, the initial posted coordinates were off by several hundred feet. The next one was really close, but then 1 last night was a good 60 feet off.

We ran into RedRox and Condorman today, and they were FTF on a couple of their new ones last night as well, and experienced missed numbers by 80 feet or so as well. They sent Ramona Girls an email letting them know about the problem.

They told me they got a response tonight apologizing for the numbers being off. They told Rox that the numbers were right on in Google Earth.

Now, my question is this...does anyone feel that posting numbers that are generated on Google Earth is an acceptable means of placing a cache? I have found GE to be very helpful for planning my route to a cache, but not overly accurate enough to get me within an acceptable range without using my gps.

C4

GE is ok for estimates (to minutes) but your pushing it after that. The accuracy is in the seconds and you need a good ground unit for that. Thank goodness the military isn't using GE for their accuracy :D

...does anyone feel that posting numbers that are generated on Google Earth is an acceptable means of placing a cache?...

TT didn't own a GPSr when he first started caching, and he found who knows how many just with topo maps, etc. There some other cacher out there with thousands of finds who doesn't use a GPSr. But that's FINDING caches. Hiding them should be done using the most accurate method available in my book. Google Earth doesn't seem to be the most accurate method....

Edited by FlagMan

Now, my question is this...does anyone feel that posting numbers that are generated on Google Earth is an acceptable means of placing a cache?  I have found GE to be very helpful for planning my route to a cache, but not overly accurate enough to get me within an acceptable range without using my gps.

C4

GE is ok for estimates (to minutes) but your pushing it after that. The accuracy is in the seconds and you need a good ground unit for that. Thank goodness the military isn't using GE for their accuracy :D

Sounds a bit like Benchmarking where coordinates can be off by hundreds of yards and finds depend on the historic descriptions that refer to physical features such as roads, trees, ditches, farm houses, and fences from the 1930s and 1940s. A sixteen-inch tree with a blaze from the 1930s surely looks different sixty or seventy years later, especially if the tree died or was cut down for firewood.

Worse yet many benchmarks have been stolen or destroyed.

Turns out that benchmarking is kind of fun because of the difficulty, so I've done forty some benchmarks. In summary just pretend to be benchmarking and rely on hints from the Ramon Girls. They have been consistent so it shows that they use care in the method being used to place their many caches.

In the earliest days of Geocaching placement coordinates were much less accurate than nowadays partly due to inaccurate GPS receivers and partly due to placement skill.

Hey, here's another idea, blindfold Geocaching. When you get close you have to put on a blindfold to finish the hunt.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies