The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

You guys are ANIMALS!  How awesome a cache to find under water!  ;)  I am glad it all worked out.  I should probably re-cert to do that dive.  Very cool pictures!  Can you rent those cameras?

Not one like Jason has, but you can probably rent something basic. I have an underwater housing for my (old) digital camera that I bought for a couple of hundred bucks - it's definitely possible to do some reasonable u/w photography for a few hundred. You may even already have a camera for which a housing is available - have a look here.

The Yukon cache was very exciting, but also pretty serious diving, so you'd want to be equipped and prepared for cold deep water, dark enclosed environments, and rummaging around near toilets. Fun stuff like that. :huh:

Great info there.. Thanks - Adelos

FYI - I have changed my caching name (well sort of).

It seems that folks often try to look me up as RocketMan (no space - pardon the pun) and they would instead get the Rocket Man imposter. Well, not really an imposter, but it seems that someone took the RocketMan (no space) name a while after I singed up as Rocket Man and they never validated their account. It always seemed wrong to me that the site allowed both names. Anyway, the good folks at Groundspeak did me a favor releasing the name RocketMan so I could use it.

My caching name is now officially RocketMan! :D

But, you can still find me at Rocket Man though. :rolleyes:

RocketMan

I'd like to encourage everyone to create your own favorite cache list and share it with everyone!

It's as easy as 1-2-3:

1) Creating a new bookmark list and then share it with everyone.

2) Enter the GC numbers that you would like to include on your list.

3) After you create your list it is added to all the caches that you select (like this one for Forbidden Forest).

5cd15937-da46-422e-ab61-8a8445f14129.jpgc3ebf576-336f-4af9-9698-65e242fd8ef1.jpg7f745f97-4925-4c15-9be1-b4974562e58e.jpg

Pretty cool, huh! :D

It seems that folks often try to look me up as RocketMan (no space - pardon the pun) and they would instead get the Rocket Man imposter.  Well, not really an imposter, but it seems that someone took the RocketMan (no space) name a while after I singed up as Rocket Man and they never validated their account.  It always seemed wrong to me that the site allowed both names.  Anyway, the good folks at Groundspeak did me a favor releasing the name RocketMan so I could use it.

My caching name is now officially RocketMan:ph34r:

But, you can still find me at Rocket Man though.  :D

RocketMan

You're not Rocket space Man anymore? Geez, it took me about 100 logs before I realized I was spelling your name incorrectly. Then I spelled it correctly (on and off) for another 600+ logs until I mastered it. <_< Now you're changing it back to the way I originally thought it was spelled?! :D:unsure: Anyhow, it's good to hear! :rolleyes::ph34r:

Edited by TrailGators

It seems that folks often try to look me up as RocketMan (no space - pardon the pun) and they would instead get the Rocket Man imposter.  Well, not really an imposter, but it seems that someone took the RocketMan (no space) name a while after I singed up as Rocket Man and they never validated their account.  It always seemed wrong to me that the site allowed both names.  Anyway, the good folks at Groundspeak did me a favor releasing the name RocketMan so I could use it.

My caching name is now officially RocketMan:ph34r:

But, you can still find me at Rocket Man though.  :D

RocketMan

You're not Rocket space Man anymore? Geez, it took me about 100 logs before I realized I was spelling your name incorrectly. Then I spelled it correctly (on and off) for another 600+ logs, and now you're changing it back to the way I originally thought it was spelled?! :D:unsure: Anyhow, it's good to hear! :rolleyes:

Sorry Pat. :ph34r:

But, thanks for validating my reasoning for wanting to change the name. <_<

My caching name is now officially RocketMan<_<

But, you can still find me at Rocket Man though.  :ph34r:

RocketMan

You're not Rocket space Man anymore? Geez, it took me about 100 logs before I realized I was spelling your name incorrectly. Then I spelled it correctly (on and off) for another 600+ logs, and now you're changing it back to the way I originally thought it was spelled?! :unsure::rolleyes: Anyhow, it's good to hear! :ph34r:

Sorry Pat. :D

But, thanks for validating my reasoning for wanting to change the name. :D

Superman and Spiderman never had that trouble so I question your SuperPowers ... or is it Super Powers? ... Austen powers?

Look for tomorrows headline "Geocacher discovers body of homicide victim"

Yes, its true....while hiking off Banner Grade Lori, of B.R.A. came across what appeared to be human remains (leg bones) and a short distance away the dreded shallow grave. The Sheriff Dept is treating it as a crime scene (and no, her husband is not missing).......talk about geo swag....More details to follow. :D

Yes, its true....while hiking off Banner Grade Lori, of B.R.A. came across what appeared to be human remains (leg bones) and a short distance away the dreded shallow grave. The Sheriff Dept is treating it as a crime scene (and no, her husband is not missing).......talk about geo swag....More details to follow. :D

Yuck, Gross, and Creeepy!!

Look for tomorrows headline  "Geocacher discovers body of homicide victim"

Yes, its true....while hiking off Banner Grade Lori, of B.R.A. came across what appeared to be human remains (leg bones) and a short distance away the dreded shallow grave.  The Sheriff Dept is treating it as a crime scene (and no, her husband is not missing).......talk about geo swag....More details to follow. :rolleyes:

Wow! :D I’ve read stories in the forums about this happening, but never in San Diego. YIKES!

Wow! I watch CSI all the time and have wondered when that would happen to a cacher!

Yow! I'm also not suprised it hasn't happened here before.

I wonder what part of the Banner Grade area that is. Anywhere near the mine on the old toll road or closer to the new highway?

Superman and Spiderman never had that trouble so I question your SuperPowers ... or is it Super Powers? ... Austen powers?

Elton John's song was entitled "Rocket Man" and not RocketMan. That's why I thought Dave spelled it that way....

Yes, that is exactly why I spelled it with the space, but since most people assume it is spelled without the space, I decided to change. Plus I got rid of the Rocket Man imposter! :D RM

Edit: Isn't the title of that other Elton song Trail Gators? :rolleyes:

Edited by RocketMan
Look for tomorrows headline  "Geocacher discovers body of homicide victim"

Yes, its true....while hiking off Banner Grade Lori, of B.R.A. came across what appeared to be human remains (leg bones) and a short distance away the dreded shallow grave.  The Sheriff Dept is treating it as a crime scene (and no, her husband is not missing).......talk about geo swag....More details to follow. :rolleyes:

Yow! I'm also not suprised it hasn't happened here before.

I wonder what part of the Banner Grade area that is. Anywhere near the mine on the old toll road or closer to the new highway?

At the bottom of the grade.....where it splits off to S22. The Sheriff says they find bodies in that area all the time....usually on top of the ground (undocumented workers) close to the road as your companions want you to be found....a shallow grave is another story. :D

Wow! We both said "wow" at the same exact time Dave! Jinx!  :D

Since the crime scene obviously has the WOW factor, maybe it could be made into a virtual cache. I know, bad joke. Sorry.

So far we've had two "Wow's!" and a "Yow!" and all because of an "Ow!"

Yes I know...another bad joke...sorry too!

Does the WOW factor make our smashed trackable penny more valuable......Don't you wish you had one??...the price just went up :rolleyes:

Wow! We both said "wow" at the same exact time Dave! Jinx!  :rolleyes:

Since the crime scene obviously has the WOW factor, maybe it could be made into a virtual cache. I know, bad joke. Sorry.

Does the WOW factor make our smashed trackable penny more valuable......Don't you wish you had one??...the price just went up :D

A thought for your pennies! <_<

But seriously how much is your penny? I'd like one! :unsure:

Wow! We both said "wow" at the same exact time Dave! Jinx!  :rolleyes:

Does the WOW factor make our smashed trackable penny more valuable......Don't you wish you had one??...the price just went up :D

A thought for your pennies! :unsure:

But seriously how much is your penny? I'd like one! :ph34r:

At last night's Proctor Valley Monster, they were free....now that "we" are famous....we might have to double that...we'll force you to take 2 <_< I'm getting dizzy.....race you back to the other thread....whose idea was that anyway?

Edited by blonds run amuck
Anyone headed to MTRP tomorrow? I think I will try this list tomorrow:MTRP list

already told the boss I may or may not be in to work tomorrow. his only question was if I was going to be sick or using vacation. :D

Well, I am going to try and find parking at N 32 49.125 W 117 03.349 near the visitor center around 9:30 tomorrow morning.

I think I will start with GCM1B7 and GCMB7X. Then I plan to walk over to GCPDGY and then up the climber's trail.

If anyone is interested, feel free to send me an email.

Not exactly headline but.........

RANCHITA – Sheriff's homicide investigators were looking into the discovery of some human remains yesterday.

The find was reported about 9 a.m. off county road S2, a sheriff's official said.

A homicide team, lab technicians and a Medical Examiner's investigator were still at the scene late last night. No other information was available.

RANCHITA – Sheriff's homicide investigators were looking into the discovery of some human remains yesterday.

The find was reported about 9 a.m. off county road S2, a sheriff's official said.

A homicide team, lab technicians and a Medical Examiner's investigator were still at the scene late last night. No other information was available.

The unanswered question is...did you trade up? :lol:

The unanswered question is...did you trade up? :lol:

QDman has a good idea. With any luck that found leg-bone would be shorter or longer than yours so's we could easily pick you out of a crowd when you walk ... er, waddle.

The bones are probably from a coyote, you know, an illegal and so shorter is most likely.

By the way, when are you going to post the CSI photos? Also, inquiring minds want to know what you said right when you spotted the remains.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I can hear the Who song..."Who are you..who who..who who!" :lol:

Going to Wisconsin tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone have travel bugs that want to take a trip. I already dropped mine off locally without thinking. I am going to try and bring a couple Jeeps back to the San Diego arena. :lol:

I know it is short notice, but I can meet up sometime today or early tomorrow possibly.

Adelos

Going to Wisconsin tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone have travel bugs that want to take a trip. I already dropped mine off locally without thinking. I am going to try and bring a couple Jeeps back to the San Diego arena. :lol:

And since I always leave it too late to ask the same thing, if anyone has any TBs that want to get to the UK, or Europe in general, let me know. We're leaving SD on the 9th of December.

The unanswered question is...did you trade up? :)

QDman has a good idea. With any luck that found leg-bone would be shorter or longer than yours so's we could easily pick you out of a crowd when you walk ... er, waddle.

The bones are probably from a coyote, you know, an illegal and so shorter is most likely.

By the way, when are you going to post the CSI photos? Also, inquiring minds want to know what you said right when you spotted the remains.

a lot of bodies turn up here

RANCHITA – Sheriff's homicide investigators were looking into the discovery of some human remains yesterday. The find was reported about 9 a.m. off county road S2, a sheriff's official said. A homicide team, lab technicians and a Medical Examiner's investigator were still at the scene late last night. No other information was available.

Subject: Media Release

Person Posting Information: Dennis Brugos, Lieutenant

Email: @sdsheriff.org

Telephone: (858) 565-5555

Fax: (858) 278-1752

Post Time: 11/22/2005 10:21:28

SUBJECT: Death Investigation

LOCATION: 18 Mile Marker of State Highway S-2, Scissors Crossing

DATE/TIME: 11/21/05, 8:54AM

VICTIM: Unknown

The following information is fragmentary and has not been completely verified. It is based, in part, on hearsay and is intended for early information use rather than being a formal investigative report.

On Saturday, November 19. 2005 a female hiker located what appeared to be human bones scattered behind brush while hiking in the area of Scissors Crossing. Rural Deputy Jeff Hamm was notified regarding the location of the bones and agreed to meet the reporting party for the exact location. At approximately 0854 hours on Monday, November 21, Deputy Hamm was directed to a shallow grave and discovered human bones scattered on the ground, north of Highway S-2 near the 18 Mile Marker. Sheriff's Homicide Detail was notified and responded, along with personnel from the Sheriff's Crime Laboratory, to conduct an investigation. The remains of a human skeleton were recovered at that location. The bones were collected by the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office for further investigation in an effort to identify the decedent and establish cause and manner of death.

A pair of boxer shorts were found near the gravesite. The identity of this victim is unknown at this time. Anyone possibly knowing the identity of the deceased is encouraged to contact the Sheriff's Homicide Detail at (858) 974-2321.

O.K., B.R.A., what's the deal with the boxer shorts? Also inquiring minds want to know if you took waypoint coordinates for the location? While we're at it how handsome was Deputy Hamm?

Edited by SD Rowdies

RANCHITA – Sheriff's homicide investigators were looking into the discovery of some human remains yesterday. The find was reported about 9 a.m. off county road S2, a sheriff's official said. A homicide team, lab technicians and a Medical Examiner's investigator were still at the scene late last night. No other information was available.

The following information is fragmentary and has not been completely verified. It is based, in part, on hearsay and is intended for early information use rather than being a formal investigative report.

On Saturday, November 19. 2005 a female hiker located what appeared to be human bones scattered behind brush while hiking in the area of Scissors Crossing. Rural Deputy Jeff Hamm was notified regarding the location of the bones and agreed to meet the reporting party for the exact location. At approximately 0854 hours on Monday, November 21, Deputy Hamm was directed to a shallow grave and discovered human bones scattered on the ground, north of Highway S-2 near the 18 Mile Marker. Sheriff's Homicide Detail was notified and responded, along with personnel from the Sheriff's Crime Laboratory, to conduct an investigation. The remains of a human skeleton were recovered at that location. The bones were collected by the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office for further investigation in an effort to identify the decedent and establish cause and manner of death.

A pair of boxer shorts were found near the gravesite. The identity of this victim is unknown at this time. Anyone possibly knowing the identity of the deceased is encouraged to contact the Sheriff's Homicide Detail at (858) 974-2321.

O.K., B.R.A., what's the deal with the boxer shorts? Also inquiring minds want to know if you took waypoint coordinates for the location? While we're at it how handsome was Deputy Hamm?

Well, she didn't mention how handsome Deputy Hamm was but in less than 5 minutes of being at the scene with him she "sat" on a jumping cactus and and the only one available to remove the spines from her behind was nice Duputy Hamm and his trusty pliers. Funny how in an emergency just anyone becomes your best friend. And Yes....she has the coordinates and shot a whole roll of film at the scene. :)

Well, she didn't mention how handsome Deputy Hamm was but in less than 5 minutes of being at the scene with him she "sat" on a jumping cactus and and the only one available to remove the spines from her behind was nice Duputy Hamm and his trusty pliers. Funny how in an emergency just anyone becomes your best friend. And Yes....she has the coordinates and shot a whole roll of film at the scene. :)

I love it! now we've got a story worth pasting into our San Diego Geocaching scrapbook.

Sat on a jumping cactus did she? That's an interesting twist on faking a swoon into the arms of Deputy Hamm. Perhaps he just forgot to catch her.

Love t' have been there when Deputy Hamm got back to the substation with his story.

So post the dang photos for cryin' out loud. Let's have some good old fashioned blood and guts for our prize-winning Forum thread.

Hot dang, it takes an ol' cowboy t' get to th' bottom of thangs don't it? What would y'all do without me?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Now I understand why he is the way he is.... :)

This past weekend, as everyone has heard by now, Flagman and Jess showed up to attempt "Fear" (on Staten Island, NY) with TT and other NJ locals. I think to myself, they are crazy, these California types, and they will certainly not be amused by what I believe the first stage to be.

Boy was I wrong. We started in the thorns. Jess got one in the eye...but oddly, she seemed unfazed and continued on without much of a murmur. As the group was bushwacking a trail through 8 feet high phragmites, they were took the lead on many occasions while I was coasting along in the pre-made trail at the end of the pack. We get to the mud swamps...sulfur smelling, gooey mud up to your thighs. I hesitate and pause at the mere sight of it. During my reluctance, those two just dive across! ;) I was shocked and figured I better get tougher to hang with these guys. The adventure continued and they never were discouraged or unwilling to jump into the next challenge.

But wait, the rest of the NJ crew made it through FEAR, so how tough are the SD maniacs....well, I would say, Insane!

Before finishing Fear on sunday morning, they got up and completed about a dozen local caches.

After Fear (at which point I thought I should get a massage, soak in a hot tub, and sleep off the pain, they drive ALL over the state to grab a few more. I think they would have made it to PA for a cache or two if I hadn't passed out in the car!

Oh yeah, and on monday, they hadn't gotten a cache for a few hours, so they got up early and grabbed one more before returning to CA. Mean while, I hadn't even gotten out of bed yet. :)

Dang! This clarifies everything....

I thought it was just TT, but now I understand that it was all of YOUR fault!!! :D Flagman and Jess are just as OCD about this geocaching thing!!! You nurtured him into this geocaching maniac...it is the San Diego community that fosters this type of caching insanity!! ;)

But really, Tom and Jess were the kindest guests I have hosted. It was a great joy to witness Jeff's surprise saturday morning when we pulled up to the meeting spot. You all made this a truly special time for both of us. :D:D:D

Thanks so much.

I love it! now we've got a story worth pasting into our San Diego Geocaching scrapbook.

Sat on a jumping cactus did she? That's an interesting twist on faking a swoon into the arms of Deputy Hamm. Perhaps he just forgot to catch her.

Love t' have been there when Deputy Hamm got back to the substation with his story.

So post the dang photos for cryin' out loud. Let's have some good old fashioned blood and guts for our prize-winning Forum thread.

download photos?? What part of b-l-o-n-d-e don't you understand?? These are 35mm type pic (you know, the old fashioned type) We'll bring them to the next event....That will happen before we figure out how to up load photos.

And Yes, Deputy Hamm took a razzing from the people at the Medical Examiners office when they showed up on the scene, and as you can imagine, this picture could paint a thousand words.

Now I understand why he is the way he is.... :P

This past weekend, as everyone has heard by now, Flagman and Jess showed up to attempt "Fear" (on Staten Island, NY) with TT and other NJ locals. I think to myself, they are crazy, these California types, and they will certainly not be amused by what I believe the first stage to be.

Boy was I wrong. We started in the thorns. Jess got one in the eye...but oddly, she seemed unfazed and continued on without much of a murmur. As the group was bushwacking a trail through 8 feet high phragmites, they were took the lead on many occasions while I was coasting along in the pre-made trail at the end of the pack. We get to the mud swamps...sulfur smelling, gooey mud up to your thighs. I hesitate and pause at the mere sight of it. During my reluctance, those two just dive across! <_< I was shocked and figured I better get tougher to hang with these guys. The adventure continued and they never were discouraged or unwilling to jump into the next challenge.

But wait, the rest of the NJ crew made it through FEAR, so how tough are the SD maniacs....well, I would say, Insane!

Before finishing Fear on sunday morning, they got up and completed about a dozen local caches.

After Fear (at which point I thought I should get a massage, soak in a hot tub, and sleep off the pain, they drive ALL over the state to grab a few more. I think they would have made it to PA for a cache or two if I hadn't passed out in the car!

Oh yeah, and on monday, they hadn't gotten a cache for a few hours, so they got up early and grabbed one more before returning to CA. Mean while, I hadn't even gotten out of bed yet. :ph34r:

Dang! This clarifies everything....

I thought it was just TT, but now I understand that it was all of YOUR fault!!! :P Flagman and Jess are just as OCD about this geocaching thing!!! You nurtured him into this geocaching maniac...it is the San Diego community that fosters this type of caching insanity!! :(

But really, Tom and Jess were the kindest guests I have hosted. It was a great joy to witness Jeff's surprise saturday morning when we pulled up to the meeting spot. You all made this a truly special time for both of us. <_<:anibad::blink:

Thanks so much.

Great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. RM