The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

New features to go along with Google Earth that look pretty cool.

Yes! Excellent! Be sure to "Download Geocache browser in Google Earth". Great tool - adds caches to the map view automatically.

That's really cool, but it will be better when you can filter out your finds. (I did note that filtering capabilities are planned for the future).

The ability to overlay a travel bug's travels onto GoogleEarth is pretty cool too.

Played around with Google Earth this morning. I have been downloading Pocket Queries and then running them through GSAK to change how the name displays, etc. Then I export the file to another GPX file for my GPXSonar program to read in my Pocket PC. So this morning, I opened that GPX file in Google Earth and it works perfectly. My pocket query only downloads the nearest unfound caches from my home, and then GSAK filters it down to 25-miles. So when I load the GPX into Google Earth, I see the nearest unfound caches within a 25-mile radius. Of course, you can change the filter in GSAK any way you would like....

New features to go along with Google Earth that look pretty cool.

Yes! Excellent! Be sure to "Download Geocache browser in Google Earth". Great tool - adds caches to the map view automatically.

That's really cool, but it will be better when you can filter out your finds. (I did note that filtering capabilities are planned for the future).

The ability to overlay a travel bug's travels onto GoogleEarth is pretty cool too.

Played around with Google Earth this morning. I have been downloading Pocket Queries and then running them through GSAK to change how the name displays, etc. Then I export the file to another GPX file for my GPXSonar program to read in my Pocket PC. So this morning, I opened that GPX file in Google Earth and it works perfectly. My pocket query only downloads the nearest unfound caches from my home, and then GSAK filters it down to 25-miles. So when I load the GPX into Google Earth, I see the nearest unfound caches within a 25-mile radius. Of course, you can change the filter in GSAK any way you would like....

Hey Flagman - How about you post a picture for us here at work? B)

Now this is interesting.

Isn't it more fun to catch a fish the old fashioned way? Somehow having one jump onto the screen of my phone doesn't sound as exciting as pulling a real one in from the ocean.... Am I missing something? The idea sure sounds like it has promise, but "Swordfish" doesn't sound like that much fun...

Hey Flagman - How about you post a picture for us here at work? B)

Here's MY work for the week! (I wish!)

I am suprised. I actually see one in there that I got and you haven't (3-D Park). B) From the picture, it looks like you need to spend more time in the north part of the county.

:blink:

Finally......San Diego County – Kache Kharma Hall of Fame

Have you ever sharpened a pencil, left a spare logbook, replaced a container, dried out a wet cache, adopted an archived cache, etc. etc. etc. ??

You should be recognized!

This thread with track caches that need maintenance and the geocachers who voluntarily assist with cache maintenance.

Here, here! Can't tell you how many logs I read that say something like, "Log is full..." or "Needs new pencil..." Essential contents of any swag bag include replacement logs in plastic bags, golf pencils, cammoed M&M tube, and miniature ziplocks. With these items, you can even temporarily replace an entire cache that has gone missing until the cache owner can get out there to make a better replacement. Very inexpensive items, but saves the cache owner a trip out when someone else is aleady there....

Does anybody drive a Jeep for their commuter car?

I was thinking of looking for a Jeep for my daily transport. The problem is, I drive 35-40 miles each way to work everyday. I was looking around a used lot one day, and the dealer told me I was crazy to buy a Jeep considering my drive to work.

He said the rough ride and noise would make me crazy, and since the traffic moves close to 80 MPH down the I-15, he said I would wear the Jeep out since they are geared low for hill climbing and not meant for continual high speeds.

Then again, we was trying to talk me into an XTerra he had on the lot!

Anyway, I figured I would pose the question here. If I got and Unlimited with the longer wheel base, would that help the freeway ride?

What is the difference between a Rubicon and a regular Wrangler?

C4

I was thinking of looking for a Jeep for my daily transport. The problem is, I drive 35-40 miles each way to work everyday. I was looking around a used lot one day, and the dealer told me I was crazy to buy a Jeep considering my drive to work.

He said the rough ride and noise would make me crazy, and since the traffic moves close to 80 MPH down the I-15, he said I would wear the Jeep out since they are geared low for hill climbing and not meant for continual high speeds.

Anyway, I figured I would pose the question here. If I got and Unlimited with the longer wheel base, would that help the freeway ride?

C4

Don't do it. My jeep was meant as a "toy", but has become my daily ride for the past 8 months. Can't wait until the wife gets a car so I can get my Taurus back. Just my 2 cents.

D!

A longer wheelbase, in general, will provide a smoother ride than a short-wheelbase version. The Jeep Wrangler extended version wheelbase is 10 inches longer. That will help out quite a bit; however, we're talking Jeep here. Its still going to be a rough ride 'cause Jeep Wranger suspensions are designed for off-road. The Rubicon version will only be a stiffer ride; but if you have the funds, it is a vary capable off-road vehicle. Better axles; locking differentials; Air lockers; 4wheel disc brakes, to name a few features.

The Xterra, 4Runner, Explorer and just about any other med. sized SUV will provide smoother ride and better MPG.

C4

Consider a long distance ride in a jeep as a long wooden rollercoaster ride. Fortunately my commute was only 6 miles, so I didn't mind it as much. MPG is an issue also! On a recent trip I was thrilled to average 18 mpg. So as a commuter for your type of distance, I wouldn't reccomend a jeep, especially if you are accustomed to a more luxurious ride. I went from a Crown Victoria LX to my jeep, major difference. As far as road noise, myMarie went to Palm Springs one day with just the bikini top on the jeep.... it took her almost a day to get her hearing back to normal. If you got a soft top, don't expect to be able to hold a conversation, especially on a cellphone. Don't get me wrong, I love my jeep, it is a low speed thrill ride! But it is not for everyone. Get a jeep for short runs and as a toy. If you want a dual purpose commuter, get a luxo SUV (yech).

Here, here!  Can't tell you how many logs I read that say something like, "Log is full..." or "Needs new pencil..."  Essential contents of any swag bag include replacement logs in plastic bags, golf pencils, cammoed M&M tube, and miniature ziplocks.  With these items, you can even temporarily replace an entire cache that has gone missing until the cache owner can get out there to make a better replacement.  Very inexpensive items, but saves the cache owner a trip out when someone else is aleady there....

I too carry basic cache supplies and I've unofficially adopted a few caches as well. Now that I've cached for a while, I have mixed emotions about revamping unmaintained caches, especially when the owner isn't caching any more. Specifically, I've taken care of Nature Trail Cache (GC3D44) for over a year by replacing the container, adding a new log and new trade items. I've also looked after Old Glory Fletcher Point Peak (GCC8A) as well, with a replacement ammo can and new log.

The first cache isn't very remarkable while Old Glory is a very cool adventurein a unique spot. I can edit neither page nor correct bad coordinates. (I've requested an adoption on Old Glory but thats a very slow process) I believe that most of the time, its better to archive an old cache and replace it with a new one. Having a cache page that can't be updated is a liability and can mess up future cachers. Outstanding caches that are rarely visited and that have an outstanding value can be worth maintaining as a cache community.

That's my .02, what's yours?

Here, here!  Can't tell you how many logs I read that say something like, "Log is full..." or "Needs new pencil..."  Essential contents of any swag bag include replacement logs in plastic bags, golf pencils, cammoed M&M tube, and miniature ziplocks.  With these items, you can even temporarily replace an entire cache that has gone missing until the cache owner can get out there to make a better replacement.  Very inexpensive items, but saves the cache owner a trip out when someone else is aleady there....

I too carry basic cache supplies and I've unofficially adopted a few caches as well. Now that I've cached for a while, I have mixed emotions about revamping unmaintained caches, especially when the owner isn't caching any more. Specifically, I've taken care of Nature Trail Cache (GC3D44) for over a year by replacing the container, adding a new log and new trade items. I've also looked after Old Glory Fletcher Point Peak (GCC8A) as well, with a replacement ammo can and new log.

The first cache isn't very remarkable while Old Glory is a very cool adventurein a unique spot. I can edit neither page nor correct bad coordinates. (I've requested an adoption on Old Glory but thats a very slow process) I believe that most of the time, its better to archive an old cache and replace it with a new one. Having a cache page that can't be updated is a liability and can mess up future cachers. Outstanding caches that are rarely visited and that have an outstanding value can be worth maintaining as a cache community.

I agree.

The process of contacting and adopting a cache from a defunct owner can be tiresome and nearly impossible. With that said, the cache will more than likely continue to be visited until, through a long process with Admin, it would be archived and the area will be opened. In the meantime someone has to "maintain" it. There should be easier steps that Admin could administer to transfer defunct caches from cachers who no longer care or just can no longer be contacted.

I've even noticed virtuals that require e-mailing the owner before logging but the owner hasn't been on GC.com for over two years! Interesting :blink:

As an addendum to my previous post....

Have you seen the newest Harley Davidson commercial? You could easily replace the Harley they spotlight in the last scene with a Jeep. Marie tells me that there are many similarities between a ride on a Harley and a ride in the Jeep! Remember Jeep girls like it bouncy, topless and dirty. :blink:

As an addendum to my previous post....

Have you seen the newest Harley Davidson commercial? You could easily replace the Harley they spotlight in the last scene with a Jeep. Marie tells me that there are many similarities between a ride on a Harley and a ride in the Jeep! Remember Jeep girls like it bouncy, topless and dirty.  :blink:

I'd call this bike the Harley Davidson's version of a two-wheeled Jeep!

The Buell "Ulysses" 1200cc Dual-Sport! :ph34r:(Buell by Harley Davison)

It's on my "TOY" list...... :blink:

buell-ulysses-XB12X-1.jpg

C4

I put about 200,000 miles on my Cherokee before I got the Avalon. I drove it exclusively for many years -- and still like driving it. I'll be sporting it in the desert later this month.... BTW, it now has close to 275,000 miles on it!

C4

Keep on mind that it will cost you about a $100 a week just to drive a Jeep the 80 miles to your work and back! So when you're at the gas pump 2-3 times a week you may not be too happy with your decision for a commuter vehicle. :blink:

Edited by TrailGators

C4

Oh, go ahead and get it. You know you want it. :blink:

You might also consider a Liberty 4X4. Drives pretty well on the freeway, but is still rated for off road use. Works for me.

I totally agree about achiving caches that are not being maintained because the owner has quit caching (hard to imagine) and is not going to maintain his caches. If the cache happens to be in a cool spot then a new cache can easily be placed in that same spot and maintained by the new "active" cacher. Plus doing this gives all those FTF hounds out there another bone! :blink:

Edited by TrailGators

Why is it that I always remember things to post after I hit the "add reply" button?

I do reccommend getting a Jeep if you really want one. Just know what you are getting yourself into, i.e. the positives and the negatives. Another positive is that Jeep (Wrangler style) owners are alot like Harley owners. 98% of us always wave when we see another on the road, we often covet what is on somebody elses, and your date won't send you packing before the sun goes down.

Remember... it's not the size of your Jeep that matters.... it's how you use it.

We went out with a jeep & an Xterra some time ago. We couldn't go Everywhere they went, but we maybe coulda, if we had the right tires. Ok, some more power wouldn't hurt. We got our Honda CRV so that I could drive it to work but we could still go places a car couldn't.

Whatsa matter C4? Can't get the trunk fixed??? :blink::blink:

Why is it that I always remember things to post after I hit the "add reply" button?

I do reccommend getting a Jeep if you really want one. Just know what you are getting yourself into, i.e. the positives and the negatives. Another positive is that Jeep (Wrangler style) owners are alot like Harley owners. 98% of us always wave when we see another on the road, we often covet what is on somebody elses, and your date won't send you packing before the sun goes down.

Remember... it's not the size of your Jeep that matters.... it's how you use it.

So does that mean that Miata owners are a lot like moped owners and turn and cover their face when they see each other........ :blink:

We have a Wrangler Sport and a Grand Cherokee Limited.

The Wrangler has a hard top, and is bumpy, and very noisy on the freeway. We followed some Harleys to Yellowstone, and at some points ran 90mph.. It prefers around 60mph.

The Grand Cherokee is like a luxury SUV on 4x4 steroids. The Quadratrac II transmission is amazing. Electronic limited slip on both axles, and 4 wheel low makes it an unreal geocaching machine.

I drive the Wrangler everywhere... thru bushes, in washes, over boulders, on sidewalks, on hiking trails, in movies, etc..

They both get lousy mileage. We love them both! :blink:

C4

As an old cj5 owner I can tell you all about the rough ride and how they start to get squirrely at about 80. I know the newer ones are sprung a little softer and the wheel base is a little longer but go with something else you'll be safer and a lot more comfortable. :D

So does that mean that Miata owners are a lot like moped owners and turn and cover their face when they see each other........ :D

No...it means that Miata girls wave only at Jeep boys.

Anybody else catch Zar's log on his Chupy 4: The Walkabout cache before the log got archived?

Here is an edited version:

"Log Date: 10/19/2005

Just aiding the 'a&&h@les' at geocachingadmin.com, like Hemlock and SoCalAdmin.

Geez, they've really spoiled this sport. I'm getting out, and my caches are

going with me."

Think he has a chip on his shoulder?

I'm guessing he may be referring to Admin's comments on his San Diego: Chupy 1 cache.

Edited by Chuy
I'm guessing he may be referring to Admin's comments on his San Diego: Chupy 1 cache.

I had requested Chupy 1 be archived in January (since it sounded like the location was turning into something that might prevent replacement) - got an email from Zar that he was going to replace it so I deleted my SBA log. Those mean old admins wouldn't let a cache be disabled for over a year! :D:D:) It's too bad he neglected it so long because it appears to be one of the earliest caches placed (GC146). ;)

Edited by ahimsa

Chupy one was my first cahe find, I spent about 4 hours doing it and the toybox walking in from Black mountaian road parking.

Zar had disabled Chupy one for about 6 months or so back in 01 when he moved it from down by the creek near the crossing to up on the Mesa.

LOL another old usless tidbit :D

I've unofficially adopted one cache, Feel Your Way There (GCJAHM), because I particularly liked it and thought it would be a shame for it to go away. I've offered to adopt it officially, but that hasn't gone anywhere as far as I can tell.

In general though, how I feel tends to depend on whether the cache is still there or not. If all it needs is a new log or pencil or the water dumped of it or a replacement tupperware, then it's a nice gesture to take care of the maintainance.

On the other hand, though, if the cache appears to be missing (several DNFs on a cache that had no DNFs before, for example) and the cache owner can't be bothered to go check on it (and they don't respond to e-mail and haven't logged into GC.com for a year), then I tend to say "Archive it. Put it and us out of our misery."

BTW, you've probably all noticed a sudden upsurge in archival activity. Several caches that have been SBA for months have suddenly been archived. Ditto, caches that have six months of DNFs piled up with no notice of the owner checking on the cache. Anyone know what changed?

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
Anybody else catch Zar's log on his Chupy 4: The Walkabout cache before the log got archived?

going with me."

I saw it. I have rather mixed feelings. I've tried to start this multi on three occasions but I've never found the first WP. Zar responded to my reports of DNFs (only one of which I've logged) and told me what to look for, but I still haven't found it. He's said that he'd check on it "real soon" but months have passed and he hasn't done so. He's offered to give me the coords for the 2nd WP so I could get going, but that hasn't happened either (but to be fair, I haven't pressed him for this. I assume that if I asked in earnest, he would send me the needed information.)

My concern is that this particular multi has a lot of WPs. With the first one apparently missing and no one logging anything for months, there is a high probability that other WPs have gone missing as well. Based on earlier logs, this appears to be a high-maintainance cache. If Zar doesn't have the time to maintain this cache, perhaps he should put it up for adoption or let be archived. It's certainly not doing anyone any good in its current state.

My hope is that this exchange with Hemlock will inspire Zar to go check all the WPs and make any repairs necessary.

going with me."

Interesting.....reminds me of this note posted in a Idaho cache

5393aa32-1a4f-4949-bed6-799a75c924f6.jpg

Hey at least they are honest!

Anybody else catch Zar's log on his Chupy 4: The Walkabout  cache before the log got archived?

Geez, they've really spoiled this sport.  I'm getting out, and my caches are

going with me."

I saw it. I have rather mixed feelings. I've tried to start this multi on three occasions but I've never found the first WP. Zar responded to my reports of DNFs (only one of which I've logged) and told me what to look for, but I still haven't found it. He's said that he'd check on it "real soon" but months have passed and he hasn't done so. He's offered to give me the coords for the 2nd WP so I could get going, but that hasn't happened either (but to be fair, I haven't pressed him for this. I assume that if I asked in earnest, he would send me the needed information.)

My concern is that this particular multi has a lot of WPs. With the first one apparently missing and no one logging anything for months, there is a high probability that other WPs have gone missing as well. Based on earlier logs, this appears to be a high-maintainance cache. If Zar doesn't have the time to maintain this cache, perhaps he should put it up for adoption or let be archived. It's certainly not doing anyone any good in its current state.

My hope is that this exchange with Hemlock will inspire Zar to go check all the WPs and make any repairs necessary.

Just send him this link......

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

Over and over and over and over and over........they'll eventually get the point

I wanted to thank everyone for all the jeep feedback.

Sounds like that is definately out of the question since I need this to be my commuter car as well. ;)

Have you looked at the AWD version of the Toyota Matrix?

I have the 2-WD version and love this car. It is very versatile. The back seats fold down absolutely flat. On a camping trip last spring, I slept in it when it was too windy to put up my tent.

I have also gotten 34 mpg on the highway with my car. :D