The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

53343213-d76a-44a1-a394-bf5cd7396e6f.jpgCan anyone tell me what type of hawk this is?Hawk?

If it feeds on birds as suggested by the location, then it's probably a Cooper's Hawk. Most other hawks feed on rodents rather than birds. Hard to tell from the photo but the streaks on the hawk's breast suggest a Cooper Hawk.

Cooper's Hawks have a very silent flight much like an owl. Where there are bird feeders a Cooper's Hawk will swoop in and land chasing all the birds away. The hawk will then perch patiently and quietly for up to an hour until unsuspecting birds return to the feeder. Then ... Bam! a meal for the Cooper's Hawk.

We had a resident Cooper Hawk at our old property in Alpine. The fun part was when the Cooper's Hawk tried to chase down the resident flock of eight feral Nanday Parrots that came to our gardens and feeders. The parrots easily eluded the Cooper's Hawk and raised a raucous fuss while doing so.

Edited by SD Rowdies
blockquote><p>If it feeds on birds as suggested by the location, then it

Cooper Hawks have a very silent flight much like an owl. Where there are bird feeders a Cooper Hawk will swoop in and land chasing all the birds away. The hawk will then perch patiently and quietly for up to an hour until unsuspecting birds return to the feeder. Then ... Bam! a meal for the Cooper Hawk.

We had a resident Cooper Hawk at our old property in Alpine. The fun part was when the Cooper Hawk tried to chase down the resident flock of eight feral Nanday Parrots that came to our gardens and feeders. The parrots easily eluded the Cooper Hawk and raised a raucous fuss while doing so.

If its body is as chunky as it appears in the photo, it may be a Marsh Hawk. They're very common along the coast. They are silent. Marsh Hawks have an owl-like dish shaped face that focuses sounds, such as from mice, one of their favorite prey. Marsh hawks used to be called "Harriers" and are renowned as "mousers". They are often seen on telephone poles or other perches in residential areas. We have a couple that hang around close by our house in Scripps Ranch.

A description of how it flew would be helpful for determining which type your visitor was. Cooper's and Sharp-shinned tend to fly low and fast (for short distances) and their tail looks pretty long and narrow in flight. The also call "kek kek kek kek ...". I've watched them in Sycamore Canyon preserve and out in Anza Borrego Desert State Park, typically flying about 40 feet off the deck. As Harmon says, Cooper's Hawks are quite deft at aerial snags of small birds.

Here's a photo of a Cooper's I took near an old K-nic cache NE of Palomar Airport.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/1513142_600.jpg' alt='1513142_600.jpg'>

Marsh Hawks have a broader tail. In addition to mice, they also go for young waterfowl or small birds that hide in reeds around the edges of ponds.

There are several good birding books available. Bust out those binoculars and see if you can pick out more detail, like eye color, chest banding color, etc. Might be another pastime to get into. It can certainly be compatible with caching.

-Gecko Dad

So sorry to see what happened, FlagMan. :P

Bummer! :P

I'll bet you're not as sorry as we were...on Sunday, we were standing in a eucalyptus grove with a wrench ( ;) ) and our lifeline call was answered by a recorded voice that said (paraphrasing) "...my shoephone is broken, please leave message..." Xtreme Bummer! :P

Sorry, everyone. I've been a llittle out of touch. But my shoephone has been replaced. I had the insurance, so it was only $50. I've been a little more out of it than usual -- I just got back from the SD-Ensenada sailboat race. The 'ole GPSr came in quite handy on the way down. Even when we were flapping in the wind at 3 a.m., that little arrow kept us on track. We actually finished with our class this time around -- 10th out of 24. Most of the time when I race with these guys we finish way at the end of the pack. When I asked if they had a GPSr, they pulled out this circa 1998 Magellan 300. We turned it on and waited, and waited, and waited and waited -- it never did find that third satellite! Only could get a fix on one or two which, as you all should know, is quite useless. Anyhoo, when we got to port the one and only geocache in all of Ensenada was about .12 from the boat. So I bagged that one. I begged and begged to go out to Todos Santos to get All Saints (hidden in 2001 and still not found) but my wailing and moaning and gnashing of teeth fell on deaf ears. The bozos on the boardwalk said they wanted $300 to take me out there. I laughed. Rumor has it the right guy with a pongo will take you out there for $45. I don't think I'll be able to beat Chuy to that one -- maybe we should mount an expedition. Who's game? On the way back to SD I was hoping to hit some of the ones Chuy hid on the bike race, but we took the toll road and I think all of his are on the free road. Made it back Saturday night just in time to take FlagSon Andrew to the one and only playoff game in SD this year. Pretty sad way to get swept if you ask me. Maybe I can go out geocaching again one of these days.... :P

blockquote><p>If it feeds on birds as suggested by the location, then it

Cooper Hawks have a very silent flight much like an owl. Where there are bird feeders a Cooper Hawk will swoop in and land chasing all the birds away. The hawk will then perch patiently and quietly for up to an hour until unsuspecting birds return to the feeder. Then ... Bam! a meal for the Cooper Hawk.

We had a resident Cooper Hawk at our old property in Alpine. The fun part was when the Cooper Hawk tried to chase down the resident flock of eight feral Nanday Parrots that came to our gardens and feeders. The parrots easily eluded the Cooper Hawk and raised a raucous fuss while doing so.

If its body is as chunky as it appears in the photo, it may be a Marsh Hawk. They're very common along the coast. They are silent. Marsh Hawks have an owl-like dish shaped face that focuses sounds, such as from mice, one of their favorite prey. Marsh hawks used to be called "Harriers" and are renowned as "mousers". They are often seen on telephone poles or other perches in residential areas. We have a couple that hang around close by our house in Scripps Ranch.

A description of how it flew would be helpful for determining which type your visitor was. Cooper's and Sharp-shinned tend to fly low and fast (for short distances) and their tail looks pretty long and narrow in flight. The also call "kek kek kek kek ...". I've watched them in Sycamore Canyon preserve and out in Anza Borrego Desert State Park, typically flying about 40 feet off the deck. As Harmon says, Cooper's Hawks are quite deft at aerial snags of small birds.

Here's a photo of a Cooper's I took near an old K-nic cache NE of Palomar Airport.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/1513142_600.jpg' alt='1513142_600.jpg'>

Marsh Hawks have a broader tail. In addition to mice, they also go for young waterfowl or small birds that hide in reeds around the edges of ponds.

There are several good birding books available. Bust out those binoculars and see if you can pick out more detail, like eye color, chest banding color, etc. Might be another pastime to get into. It can certainly be compatible with caching.

-Gecko Dad

Thanks Don and Harmon...you guys are great. ;)

. . .  I begged and begged to go out to Todos Santos to get All Saints (hidden in 2001 and still not found) but my wailing and moaning and gnashing of teeth fell on deaf ears.  The bozos on the boardwalk said they wanted $300 to take me out there.  I laughed.  Rumor has it the right guy with a pongo will take you out there for $45.  I don't think I'll be able to beat Chuy to that one -- maybe we should mount an expedition.  Who's game?  . . .

Glad the shoephone was covered by insurance. I would love to revisit Todos Santos. This is a picture of the boat we took down there many years ago. I always hoped to get back there again someday.

TodosSantos.jpg

Well, Duncan!

How dare you plant a cache just a couple miles of where we were camping sans internet!! <_<

Oh, well, next time we'll get it! :P

On edit - I see we were trailing Duncan! around the park. We'll plan to hit high ground for a quick cache listing update before leaving next time! :rolleyes:

Edited by ahimsa

Here are some exact zip code coordinates if anyone wants to put a cash exactly on them as I did with 92071.

N 32 47.472 W 116 57.984

N 32 49.122 W 116 54.096

N 32 51.516 W 116 55.038

N 32 49.896 W 117 02.298

N 32 47.668 W 116 57.720

Feel free to email me for any more. I don't know all the zip codes, but the coordinates are easy to get.

Well, Duncan!

How dare you plant a cache just a couple miles of where we were camping sans internet!! <_<

Oh, well, next time we'll get it! :P

On edit - I see we were trailing Duncan! around the park. We'll plan to hit high ground for a quick cache listing update before leaving next time! :rolleyes:

Can't tell ya how many times that happened to me!

D!

I may head up to Upper Coyote Canyon next weekend to plant some more caches on that trail and to hit an unfound cache, Turkey Track's Soliloquy (GCP3JW). If anyone wants to tag along- the more jeeps the merrier.

Dave

Link to unfound cache hidden back in late May '05:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c2-f30dc3eaea63

Edited by dhsundance
53343213-d76a-44a1-a394-bf5cd7396e6f.jpgCan anyone tell me what type of hawk this is?

A vegetarian one?

We work on lots of wildlife / birds of prey at my practice. I'm pretty sure your friend is a sharp-shinned hawk (they have those characteristic bare legs), and most likely a young (or passage) bird. They are inexperienced and, especially as they start their migration, they do stupid things trying to catch enough food to stay alive (Humm, reminds me of some people I know!) I'd post a picture but I have not figured how to do that as of yet. :rolleyes:

drexotic

53343213-d76a-44a1-a394-bf5cd7396e6f.jpgCan anyone tell me what type of hawk this is?Hawk?

If it feeds on birds as suggested by the location, then it's probably a Cooper's Hawk. Most other hawks feed on rodents rather than birds. Hard to tell from the photo but the streaks on the hawk's breast suggest a Cooper Hawk.

Cooper's Hawks have a very silent flight much like an owl. Where there are bird feeders a Cooper's Hawk will swoop in and land chasing all the birds away. The hawk will then perch patiently and quietly for up to an hour until unsuspecting birds return to the feeder. Then ... Bam! a meal for the Cooper's Hawk.

We had a resident Cooper Hawk at our old property in Alpine. The fun part was when the Cooper's Hawk tried to chase down the resident flock of eight feral Nanday Parrots that came to our gardens and feeders. The parrots easily eluded the Cooper's Hawk and raised a raucous fuss while doing so.

"Feral Parrots" would be an awesome band name!!!

"Feral Parrots" would be an awesome band name!!!

Checking all of my nature books, bird books, surfing the internet, & asking some of my co-workers, we all agree. That bird is a cross of lazy & smart! :ph34r:<_<

Ok folks, I'm flipping a coin. Which is the better one to get - a Palm Tungsten E2 or a Palm Zire 72? Pros? Cons? Is there something better that a person can get locally that is better? For about the same price, of course.

Ease of use

Able to see in the bright sunlight

Can do everything that a cacher wants it to do, with room to grow

Speed (or is there much difference between units?)

Other...

Ok folks, I'm flipping a coin. Which is the better one to get - a Palm Tungsten E2 or a Palm Zire 72?

Hehe, that doesn't sound like a coin flipping! <_<

Sounds like they've made quite a few improvements over the Tungsten E (which we have and used to use for caching). The earlier E was a bit hard to read in bright daylight for us, otherwise it worked just great. And we finally figured out how to store cachemate data on the card instead of internal memory, so you can hold almost all of San Diego's caches in it (not an easy task when you've only found less than a couple hundred of them!).

Ok folks, I'm flipping a coin. Which is the better one to get - a Palm Tungsten E2 or a Palm Zire 72? Pros? Cons? Is there something better that a person can get locally that is better? For about the same price, of course.

Ease of use

Other...

I'm not familiar with either of those, but I know that my Palm M500 monochrome is a lot easier to read in bright sunlight than the color Zire.

Here is a Palm M500 for sale on eBay. The auction ends tomorrow and the bid is at $9.99 so far.

I like my inexpensive Palm M500 so much, I'm tempted to get a "spare." <_<

Ease of use

Other...

Go with the E2 rather than the Zire 72 in my opinion. Superior features for the E2 include faster processor, Flash memory, and the claim of a 30-40% brighter Display. Prices are equivalent.

As to the 1.2 Mpixel camera built into the Zire 72, no way. Shooting low-res' digital photos will get the Photoshop police interested in your case.

The E2 brightness claim of 30% to 40% brighter is a comparison between the older Model E versus the new E2. However there are PDAs with brighter displays than the E2 but you'll pay much more for the unit.

Question is, is the E2 display bright enough to satisfy you when using it outdoors for Geocaching? Do this, go to a retailer that will allow you to carry an E2 and a Zire 72 out into the bright sunshine to view and compare display brightness. Only then can you be sure of being satisfied with your purchase. Also compare with one of the most expensive models while you're at it.

There are ultra-bright displays on the market but not for PDAs. Ultra-bright displays draw a lot of current and so aren't suited for PDAs due to battery limitations. The ultra-bright displays are used profitably for kiosks and for enforcement vehicles. I specified a seven-inch Panasonic ultra-bright display for Federal Prison patrol vehicles. Works great but the one-off cost is over $500.00.

The E2 price has started to fall a bit and one can easily find the $50.00 rebate. Lowest cost offers are for open-box and blemished units of course.

Keep us posted.

Harmon

Ease of use

Other...

I'd go for the cheapest model......while you are tying to figure out how to use it, you'll spend more time thinking of ways to smash it, lose it or hide it in a cache and make it someone else's problem....then you get help from the great SD caching society and life is good again. <_<

Ok folks, I'm flipping a coin.  Which is the better one to get -  a Palm Tungsten E2 or a Palm Zire 72?  Pros?  Cons?  Is there something better that a person can get locally that is better? For about the same price, of course.

Ease of use

Other...

Depends...are you going to loan it to Flagman? <_<

Ok folks, I'm flipping a coin.  Which is the better one to get -  a Palm Tungsten E2 or a Palm Zire 72?  Pros?  Cons?  Is there something better that a person can get locally that is better? For about the same price, of course.

Ease of use

Other...

Depends...are you going to loan it to Flagman? :ph34r:

:ph34r: Oh . . . that's mean. <_<

Edit to add appropriate quote

Edited by Miragee

My Palm m515 doesn't work! It turns on and freezes and I can't do anything with it. I went to the website, and they're all out. Does anyone else have this model?

For the zip codes, do a zip code search, and hover the mouse over the 'Map It' button in the top right corner, and in the status bar of your browser, it will show the coordinates.

Edit: Someone was showing me their BRAND NEW handheld, but I can't remember who it was. What was that one? and how much was it?

Edited by Wiz Creations

Ease of use

Other...

Depends...are you going to loan it to Flagman? :(

I'm kind of thinking of getting a hard case, just for those kind of incidents. :unsure: I'm also planning on getting some of those little screen covers for it. Wish I knew about them before I scratched our second GPSr screen. :unsure:

Ease of use

Other...

neither...get a pocket pc....IPAQ rules....

Ease of use

Other...

I totally agree. Ipaq's rule. :unsure::unsure:

I totally agree. Ipaq's rule. :(:unsure:

In what way do they rule for caching? Are you familiar with Cachemate? What's the Pocket PC equivalent? I was eyeing those new Windows Treos... :unsure:

PocketPC uses GPXSonar. Get the unlimited wireless internet, you can check for caches on the go.

D!

PocketPC uses GPXSonar.  Get the unlimited wireless internet, you can check for caches on the go.

I currently use a Palm Treo with wireless internet and cachemate (for when there are no cell towers in sight, which seems to be the case for a lot of the desert caches). I guess what I'm asking is in what way would a PocketPC version be better (e.g. rule) for caching than what I have? :unsure: Is GPXSonar better than Cachemate? I haven't found any deficiencies in what I'm currently using (other than being unable to check for newly placed caches when there are no cell towers in range! :unsure: )

Pocket PCs cost a lot more than Palms . . . :)

Hehe, probably not more than a Treo! :(

I'm asking because, if you want a Treo, you will soon have a choice of a Palm OS version or Windows Mobile version. They are great caching tools but now you have to choose which OS!

Or does GPXSonar not work with Windows Mobile? I'm not familiar with the difference between Windows Mobile and Pocket PC - is one a newer version of the other? :unsure::unsure:

If it doesn't, is there caching software for Windows Mobile?

Thanks for any info!

Pocket PCs cost a lot more than Palms . . . :unsure:

For Geocaching, a $25 to $40.00 monochrome Palm is all you need. Cachemate is a great program and worth more than the $8.00 it costs to register (but don't tell the program author I said that). :unsure:

Hear...Hear...

I have the palm 3xe paid $20 for it...

Contrast adjusts for any amount of light and it lights up for the dark.

Holds Thousands of caches...wireless connection to my computer...has done me well all over the world....and best of all if I lose it or smash it...I have already got my money's worth out of it....No crying from a guy who has gone through 4 GPSs in less than a year.

Pocket PCs cost a lot more than Palms . . . :)

Hehe, probably not more than a Treo! :unsure:

I'm asking because, if you want a Treo, you will soon have a choice of a Palm OS version or Windows Mobile version. They are great caching tools but now you have to choose which OS!

Or does GPXSonar not work with Windows Mobile? I'm not familiar with the difference between Windows Mobile and Pocket PC - is one a newer version of the other? :(:unsure:

If it doesn't, is there caching software for Windows Mobile?

Thanks for any info!

GPXSonar has a much better GUI - it shows the cache page html just like you would see it on your computer at home. Also, I had the Treo before and the connection speed was way slower than my current connection speed with Verizon and a Pocket PC. I went down to replace my Treo once it was offered with Verizon service, and they talked me into the Pocket PC because of the connection speed. That was August and the Treo did not support the broadband wireless Internet access that was available on the Pocket PC. The Treo still used a cellphone call to access the Internet whereas the Pocket PC uses a faster connection protocol. There are lots of things I liked better with my Treo, but the connection speed and the GUI on the Pocket PC with GPXSonar are far superior to the Treo.

PocketPC uses GPXSonar. Get the unlimited wireless internet, you can check for caches on the go.

D!

Oh, never mind. I just checked the net to see what the IPAQ was. For what we're going to use this for, the Palms are expensive enough.

I have both and would recommend an older Palm if the primary use is Geocaching. You can get them cheap (under $100). The battery life of the Palms are much better than the Ipaq's. I like the Ipaqs overall the best because I have SOOO many things I can run on them. Ipaqs are costly though if you fall and break it. (Sorry to bring it up, Flagman :unsure: )

I think I have the Palm 5vx. I works great and it is replaceable. If you want an Ipaq for geocaching, buy the 3800 or 3700 models for around $100 from ebay. HP sells an upgrade for the latest pocketpc for $25.00.

Anyway, just make sure you have memory to hold the cache information and their logs. The most relevant piece is knowing what you will use it for.

Good luck!

Adelos

D!

Oh, never mind.  I just checked the net to see what the IPAQ was.  For what we're going to use this for, the Palms are expensive enough.

I have both and would recommend an older Palm if the primary use is Geocaching. You can get them cheap (under $100). The battery life of the Palms are much better than the Ipaq's. I like the Ipaqs overall the best because I have SOOO many things I can run on them. Ipaqs are costly though if you fall and break it. (Sorry to bring it up, Flagman :rolleyes: )

I think I have the Palm 5vx. I works great and it is replaceable. If you want an Ipaq for geocaching, buy the 3800 or 3700 models for around $100 from ebay. HP sells an upgrade for the latest pocketpc for $25.00.

Anyway, just make sure you have memory to hold the cache information and their logs. The most relevant piece is knowing what you will use it for.

Good luck!

Adelos

i have an Ipaq 1495 that works great for caching and keeping track of dates...it also plays mp3 files...that how we did the podcache in balboa park..had to put in a sd card to hold the file. the ipaq 1495 has 64mb of memory and has a slot for an sd card.

Okay, all you White Jeep Travel Bug enthusiasts, check out the newly approved cache I hid in the desert. Its GCQVAW, also known as PCT in the Valley. The first ones who can hike a few miles can pick up a White Jeep and a FTF. Good luck!

I won't be able to get to the event in the Truckhaven area, but maybe this Jeep TB can. Have fun out there, and be safe!

Edited by Nat

We've submitted our first WJTB photo ("Tow Package"):

74d15b9d-c145-479a-ae2f-31e7804b2bc7.jpg

Ok, not particularly creative :unsure: but we're anxious to get it back to the wild. We're kind of surprised that nobody has submitted a photo for poor lil' Demelza yet. How does one "vote" for these entries?

Thanks to D-Jollyman for bringing it to SD and for all the other SD cachers for not taking it out of town! :ph34r:

We've submitted our first WJTB photo ("Tow Package"):

74d15b9d-c145-479a-ae2f-31e7804b2bc7.jpg

Ok, not particularly creative :P but we're anxious to get it back to the wild. We're kind of surprised that nobody has submitted a photo for poor lil' Demelza yet. How does one "vote" for these entries?

Thanks to D-Jollyman for bringing it to SD and for all the other SD cachers for not taking it out of town! :P

Yes...quite good!

Post a link and I will vote for you!