Too Many Caches = denied opportunities for others to participate

Someone has created too many caches and therefore has denied opportunities for others to participate in geocaching.  A brand new rail trail just opened up in our area.  Friends of mine live along the trail and have just gotten the geocache bug.  They wanted to hide their first one on the trail near their house but there is no room now.  To be clear, the trail is new and someone just puked a ton of hides all along the trail.
This is wrong.  The reviewers should not have allowed this.

Hiding guidelines on the official Geocache site:

"Pick a unique location and get accurate coordinates

A quality cache brings the community to an interesting location."

Please rectify this poor management.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 7

I know what you mean.  It is hard to find spots.  I was really happy to find some greenspace and put out a few caches only to have them denied because they were too close to some Mystery cache final coordinates.  The map will show you if you are far enough from Traditionals but, by nature, they can't really reveal some stages of certain caches.  So it may even be worse than it appears. :-)   For myself, I don't much care for "cache runs" along country roads.  But usually that doesn't conflict with some other, higher quality, potential cache.  There was a new trail that opened up and one cacher put up a ton of caches along it but it didn't bother me since I didn't have any designs on the place.  I don't know how management could satisfy you.  I don't think they are in the habit or position of judging the quality of quantity of caches.  I would understand them not wanting to delve in to that.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

Reviewers do not have the discretion to disallow caches that otherwise meet the Geocache Hiding Guidelines. 

More than a decade ago, the "Cache Saturation" section of the Guidelines was updated.  Prior to then, Reviewers could disallow caches that were spaced closely together, called a "power trail."  This provision was removed due to complaints and the difficulty in judging how many caches, and at what separation distance, would constitute a "power trail."

Now, caches 529 feet apart can be published without question.  Conversely, caches placed less than 528 feet apart are subject to the current saturation guidelines.  I no longer give regular "exceptions" for caches that are too close to their neighbors - especially if hidden by the same owner.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 3
27 minutes ago, yorkmapper said:

The help center also says this:

7.4. Maintenance expectations

To make sure your geocache is in good health, monitor the logs and visit the cache site periodically. View the Cache owner dashboard to get a full view of your caches and an activity feed of logs on your hides. Unmaintained caches may be archived.

Here is a list of your responsibilities as a cache owner:

• Choose an appropriate container that is watertight.
  • Replace broken or missing containers.
  • Clean out your cache if contents become wet.
  • Replace full or wet logbooks.
  • Mark trackables as missing if they are listed in the inventory but no longer are in the cache.
  • Delete inappropriate logs.
  • Update coordinates if cache location has changed.
  • Temporarily disable your cache page when the cache is not available or you need time to fix reported problems. A cache page can stay disabled for a reasonable amount of time - generally up to four weeks.
  • After you maintain your cache, make sure to remove the "Needs Maintenance" icon.
  • If you no longer want to maintain your cache, retrieve the container and archive your cache page.
4 hours ago, yorkmapper said:

Someone has created too many caches and therefore has denied opportunities for others to participate in geocaching.  

A brand new rail trail just opened up in our area.  Friends of mine live along the trail and have just gotten the geocache bug.  They wanted to hide their first one on the trail near their house but there is no room now.  To be clear, the trail is new and someone just puked a ton of hides all along the trail.

No offense, but it's "poor management" that someone beat another to a new location ?  It's been that way long-before we started...    

We know people who place caches months before they finally ask to get it published. 

One hides caches when hunting in winter, and may ask for them to be published mid-summer.  :)

As you now know, there's no such thing as saturation guidelines anymore (for a while now...).

To be clear, I don't care much for a cache every 529'  either unless it's a nice long walk.  I'll split 'em up and get every-other one on the way back.

- But your friend's cache could have become one of a number of others naturally as well.  A new trail always brings out hiders...    ;)

If you've been caching off n on, you've already known that "an interesting location" has been few and far between for some time.

If your area is saturated with caches, why place more? Enough is enough surely. (Speaking as someone who lives in an area with new caches which are continuously being placed, and I can't keep up :antenna:.)

• Funny 1

Wow! Lots of new caches. Yet you and your friends are complaining? That seems odd, particularly since there's every reason to think the established COs that are on the ball enough to put out caches when the trail is available are odds on favorites to have better caches and do better maintenance than your friends who only just recently got the bug and could well lose it as easily as they got it.

Anyway, teach your friends that they can reach out to the owners and talk about them making some room on the trail. Just emphasize that if the CO makes room for them, that it would be really embarrassing to you, as their mentors, if the cache they hide on the trail don't compare favorably to the caches the CO pulled for them.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, yorkmapper said:

Someone has created too many caches and therefore has denied opportunities for others to participate in geocaching.  A brand new rail trail just opened up in our area.  Friends of mine live along the trail and have just gotten the geocache bug.  They wanted to hide their first one on the trail near their house but there is no room now.  To be clear, the trail is new and someone just puked a ton of hides all along the trail.

Snooze you loose... Have your friends message the CO. Most CO, s are good people and I'm sure they will help your friends out by creating some room for them.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1

When I first started out I had several places in a nearby park where I was eager to place caches. None of the locations had caches, but I was disappointed to find all were with 528 feet of existing caches. Not even all the same CO as this was a decade ago and the caches were placed when the more restrictive saturation guidelines still existed.

I do miss something that used to happen but rarely does anymore: a new public land would open, the first cacher there would place a couple caches and several subsequent finders would add caches as well. It provided more natural cache growth with diversity in hide styles and containers.

For something like a rail trail it's probably better for a single account to have most of the hides for maintenance purposes.

Trying to tighten saturation guidelines would be difficult. For example, if you required hides to be 528 ft apart but also 1000 feet from other caches you own then power trail COs would simply use two accounts and alternate placements.

I don't think you can put the genie back in the bottle.

• Upvote 4
8 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Trying to tighten saturation guidelines would be difficult. For example, if you required hides to be 528 ft apart but also 1000 feet from other caches you own then power trail COs would simply use two accounts and alternate placements.

Yep. And that's how teams were skirting any guidelines blocking numbers trails. Increasing the distance between caches owned by the same account just meant that the team needed more accounts.

On 6/2/2021 at 6:47 PM, yorkmapper said:

Assuming your friend lives in the same area you do, I see places to hide caches all over the place.

And it is not wrong or poor management just because you say it is. I find that most cachers that are sore about an area allegedly being "filled up" just want to take the path of least resistance and spend zero time scouting their own hiding spots. I live in one of the most cache dense cities in the country and I have no problem hiding new caches. You just have to work at it and get creative. It's not everyone else's fault you and friend may be slightly late to the game.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1