First finder frenzy... I don't get it

chubby forest monkey

The 'first finder' thing, to me, is still kind of important, although not as important as it used to be.

Firstly, i'm reminded of the days when your 'nearest caches' page included caches that were thirty-some miles away. Two years ago, a new cache within said distance meant that you were in your car and on your way--klamath falls style--to wherever your gps led you.

But nowadays, there are still three reasons (probably more) to gloat about being first:

1) You live in Beaverton/Hillsboro. There are at least a dozen people checking the page hourly, so there's a certain amount of bragging rights involved.

2) The cache-placer has hidden a special first-finder prize (i.e. a geonap coin or something).

3) The cache hasn't been found in over three months since it had been placed. There's a certain legendary status attached to anything that sits for a few months without any attention.

I like being first to a cache, even if it's a lame one. And i tend to mention it in both my online log and the physical logbook. If you think about it in the whole scheme of things, i guess it is pretty stupid, but it makes me happy for some reason. Finding 'A Bridge Too Far' first with slinger was pretty cool because it was over a year old, and finding that one out in gresham first last month was also pretty cool because i got to take a neat flashlight in eschange for a couple of CDs.

But i would get pretty annoyed if someone went off about being a first-finder in their log, as if they had discovered the moon. Do you have an example, chubby forest monkey? Cuz if you want me to make sure they have a little 'accident,' then i will.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

I agree with Oregone on this one. Yeah, I've had the good fortune of getting FTF on three caches that had been placed a whole year before and not found...virgin caches. One was a tupperware container and the other was a .50 cal ammo box. The other one was a superb virtual that involved over 14 miles RT and 4400 elevation gain. Now being a hiking nut, I did over 16 miles that day and 5000 ft elevation gain...dropped down to a lake after the cache. Great workout! I get a kick out of those mountain top caches. I do enjoy firsties in the cities though...we ahve a very active geocaching community in the Seattle area and it's pretty competitive. Bebubo is stuff of legends in our area for FTFs...even somehow got FTF on a Glitche Ente puzzle cache...don't know how he did it, but he did.

Yes, Bebubo is amazing, not just because he finds things so quickly, but because of his code of geocaching honor. He told me (when we met at a cache site) that he never searches for anything more than 2 weeks old.

Everyone has his/her own geocaching drive. For some, the motivation comes from the treasure. For others, it's the hike or location. And for those FTFobsessives, it's in finding things before anyone else gets there.

Cin

Should have relogged in before posting as the Peanut Butter Brigade above.

Thought I'd add this -- for some people, the FTF competition is the best part of the game. I think that you have to be an early riser with a competitive personality. (sound familiar, Pepper?) icon_smile.gif

Indeed, I've heard tales of some Bay Area cachers who purposely log DNFs to try to trick their fellow FTFers. I view it as a community thing -- competition, teasing, challenging each other.

Cin

(who has a few FTFs, but only gets intense about the ones that are tough brainteasers)

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

_Should have relogged in before posting as the Peanut Butter Brigade above. _

Thought I'd add this -- for some people, the FTF competition is the best part of the game. I think that you have to be an early riser with a competitive personality. (sound familiar, Pepper?) icon_smile.gif

Indeed, I've heard tales of some Bay Area cachers who purposely log DNFs to try to trick their fellow FTFers. I view it as a community thing -- competition, teasing, challenging each other.

Cin

(who has a few FTFs, but only gets intense about the ones that are tough brainteasers)

Yeah, I remember you and BlankJeff got a bragging rights FTF on TravisL's MisLED cache. That one sure was a brain twister!

Personally, I share chubby forest monkey's opinion. It's the crowing about it that really makes me scratch my head. A first find doesn't mean much but that you had more free time at the time that a cache became available, or happened by some other set of circumstances to have easier access to it.

I realize to each his or her own, so I won't fault those who make FTF a goal. However, the crowing about it really rubs me the wrong way, so I have made a point of not mentioning it in my logs when I happen to be FTF.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

This is the basis of the first finders thing: It is just a little fun for those who no longer have any chance being top dog on the finders list. There is some built in competitivness in any game, and this is a fun simple way to fulfill that competitive need. Quite harmless. Friendly competition. icon_smile.gif Some of those posts have been really fun for me to read.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

Well ole Pepper here agrees with all the above posts.

I will say that the FTF bug had me pretty bad while in the Bay Area. Yes it was the competition, teasing and just down right fun that drew us all out of the house at all hours of the day and night just to sign a little peice of paper First!

I'm finding out that I still have the FTF bug up here, but have a hard time getting there First which is A-Ok it's still part of the fun to try.

I don't think I've ever thought of it as crowing, but just a little to excited. You see when ya don't have a life(like myself) any little ole thing will get ya going.

I'll keep trying to get FTF cause it's just

so darn fun. I promise to keep the crowing to a minimum icon_biggrin.gif that is if I ever get another FTF!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

It all depends. Sometiems I hold back and let others go. Sometimes if I know someone is active I'll get the cache just for kicks.

If there is a coin in the cache I'm there. Anything else unless I know it's a race I can let sit.

My favorite caches to find are the ones that skunk a ton of people. I have enough skunks myself so I feel even better about finding a cache that has skunked all comers.

I've had my share of FTFs, but don't usually get too worked up about it. I was excited the first few times, but now I find I enjoy the cache just as much however many folks have been there before.

The only time recently I got into being first was on a series of five caches by asatruar that were all released within a couple days of one another. After being first to two or three of them, Peggy and I decided to go for a clean sweep.

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

HA! Come to the Phoenix area and try to get a first-find...we have vampires here, because they NEVER SLEEP AT NIGHT! These guys are the toughest crew to beat for a first-find, some of them are out at 2 and 3 in the morning, hitting the "refresh" button, with the car keys in the other hand, just waiting for the newest cache to be listed...

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

These guys are the toughest crew to beat for a first-find, some of them are out at 2 and 3 in the morning, hitting the "refresh" button, with the car keys in the other hand, just waiting for the newest cache to be listed...

I hear what you're saying. Here in Portland, rumor has it that one group of prominent cachers... who shall remain nameless, but not GRANDchildless... actually installed Alarms that go off every time a new cache is placed, so they can swoop out the door and log the first find.

600+ finds, and a new grandkid later we haven't heard much from them for a while. Although I heard PDXMarathonman got into a scuffle with one of them over the first find for a cache here recently...

"And then Trogdor smote the Kerrek, and all was laid to burnination."

quote:
Originally posted by chubby forest monkey:

It seems so silly if you are the first one to find a cache, and the first one to log it in, to crow about it as if that's all that matters.

I thought I'd do a background check to see if you really are qualified as a 'silliness' expert.

Let's me get this straight. You've gone off in search of Tupperware, Ammo cans, and various other containers hidden in bushes, logs, stumps, and who knows where else, about 150 times. Not only that, but you traveled to 2 countries, 8 states, and the District of Columbia to do so? How much time did that take?! icon_rolleyes.gif

Yep, I'd say you know plenty about silliness!icon_wink.gif

Seriously, though, I've read lots of logs from lots of people with different motivations. It doesn't take long to determine if I'm not interested in a log. Then I just stop reading.

I figure if the person crowing is happy, who am I to not want them to be happy? I'll just ignore the crowing if it bothers me.

~~Seriousness done~~

The way I look at it, crowing about a First Find isn't nearly as silly as leaving a machete at a cache site! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif Just kiddin'!

Last one there's a rotten egg!icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. I also heard a rumor that you go out looking for round pieces of brass stuck in concrete... HeHeHeHeHe...

~~~In my world, nothing ever goes wrong!~~~

[This message was edited by Pobre Rico on August 05, 2003 at 07:10 PM.]

[This message was edited by Pobre Rico on August 05, 2003 at 07:11 PM.]

I still enjoy FTFs but solely so that I can rub the nose of a certain individual with the initials "TL" who, lately anyway, can't seem to find a cache, probably even his very own caches, without recruiting an entire mob to swarm the cache site. icon_wink.gif

Although recently there’s been a couple other prolific FTFers who are getting under my skin.

(I used the initials "TL" to keep from embarrassing TravisL any further) (oops!)

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Now tell me....

Where on earth do grown-up people get to say 'Firsties' aside fom Geocaching? I haven't got to say that since second grade.

It's just a fun game!

Walliedawg (who is a friend) and I have this competiton thing going whenever a new cache comes out close by. We post fun things to each other. Again....it's nice to play!

And sometimes I just let Walliedawg get firsties anyway. Right Walliedog?

Ouch, you didn't have to hit me! I was just goofing around again! Mooooooom, Walliedawg hit me!

quote:
Originally posted by Wienerdog:

Now tell me....

Where on earth do grown-up people get to say 'Firsties' aside fom Geocaching? I haven't got to say that since second grade.

It's just a fun game!

Walliedawg (who is a friend) and I have this competiton thing going whenever a new cache comes out close by. We post fun things to each other. Again....it's nice to play!

And sometimes I just let Walliedawg get firsties anyway. Right Walliedog?

_Ouch, you didn't have to hit me! I was just goofing around again! Mooooooom, Walliedawg hit me!_

Finally got a couple of FTFs today in the Lynwood area...seems like I always end up 2nd to K7-Wave or WallieDawg lately. Sweet! Yeah, it's friendly competition.

A while back, Bebubo and Broncofan were really going at it...fun to watch those two compete.

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Well, maybe I'm the only one to have seen profanity in a log from someone who was beaten to a virgin cache. I dunno, I just took that as people getting a little too wrapped up in FTFs.

http://geocachingwa.org

I'm sure some do get wrapped up into FTFs a bit too much. I've myself at times really wanted a FTF, but I think the overall importance of FTF has gone down for me since I started, but the need comes up every so often.

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

HA! Come to the Phoenix area and try to get a first-find...we have vampires here, because they NEVER SLEEP AT NIGHT! These guys are the toughest crew to beat for a first-find, some of them are out at 2 and 3 in the morning, hitting the "refresh" button, with the car keys in the other hand, just waiting for the newest cache to be listed...

Caches get listed at 3 AM?! The approver must not sleep either.

We had a moving cache last year that was all first finds and it got rather frantic. Because the first finder took the cache, if you were second all you found was a "Sorry" card. More than once I ran into people coming or going. Interesting way to meet local cachers. Sometimes the hider was around to watch the fun. Evil!

It got rather stressful because the next hiding place could be revealed at any time. I actually set up my computer to alert me when the cache page changed. Some others just pressed refresh every few minutes. More than once I was just sitting down to dinner when the computer chimed. Arrrgh! Could have been worse, I guess. icon_eek.gif

As I see it, FTF is a rite of passage in geocaching. There are several 'benchmarks' that make you feel closer to the 'fold', and 'firsties' is one of them.

I disagree that FTF's just mean you had more time than others or had 'easier' access. Most of my firsties were caches that had been placed several weeks prior to me finding them.

Now what gets me is when people log their finds to micro caches. Now THAT really gets my goat - why are they 'crowing' about those finds! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Now what gets me is when people log their finds to micro caches. Now THAT really gets my goat - why are they 'crowing' about those finds! icon_wink.gif

Well, if you were first to Dr. Koska's micros...it was a definite bragging rights FTF! Some of his micros were soooo evil and yet the coords were superb. Never got a FTF on his but I sure tried to!

There are a number of reasons I like being FTF -- though it has been on rare occasions that I actually have been.

1. If the cache is truly difficult, then it is a worthy competition. I wanted MisLED very badly because the puzzle was so ingenious. I solved the puzzle and headed off to the cache site three times before BlankJeff & Cachincin dashed all my dreams. BTW, I still haven't found the actual cache -- one of my great disappoinments in geocaching. Anyway, the point is... competition, it's a good thing.

2. As a cache placer, I derive great pleasure in seeing my cache found the first time. It is a confirmation that I didn't totally screw things up -- and that somebody liked looking for it (usually). When I log a FTF, I get a vicarious thrill knowing I am satisfying this need for someone else.

3. Slightly off topic, but I also like finding caches while they are fresh -- It's a shared experience thing. I still haven't found Singularity, for instance, and someday I probably will, but it's an ancient memory for most of the people in these forums.

I enjoy the attempt to be FTF, mainly because it adds a little more uncertainty to the hunt, if nobody has found it yet, maybe it's not there, maybe the coordinates are wrong, who knows. Then there's the fact that the cache is hidden exactly as the hider intended, and no unwanted clues are in the logs (I usually read the most recent few logs, unless encrypted, if there are any). The most fun FTFs are the ones that others have looked for and failed to find (only have 2 of those I think).

The only one I really crowed about was my 1st FTF, because it was only my 13th find, and was particularly challenging (for me at least). That got me hooked on FTFs. Now I just put 'Woo Hoo First Finder' as a matter of habit. Still crowing I suppose, but harmless.

And no, the date of the log does not show who is the FTF, that's a silly statement.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

I enjoy the attempt to be FTF, mainly because it adds a little more uncertainty to the hunt, if nobody has found it yet, maybe it's not there, maybe the coordinates are wrong, who knows. Then there's the fact that the cache is hidden exactly as the hider intended, and no unwanted clues are in the logs (I usually read the most recent few logs, unless encrypted, if there are any). The most fun FTFs are the ones that others have looked for and failed to find (only have 2 of those I think).

The only one I really crowed about was my http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=62220&log=y&decrypt= because it was only my 13th find, and was particularly challenging (for me at least). That got me hooked on FTFs. Now I just put 'Woo Hoo _First Finder_' as a matter of habit. Still crowing I suppose, but harmless.

And no, the date of the log does not show who is the FTF, that's a silly statement.

http://community.webshots.com/album/67423220KEECyy http://community.webshots.com/album/71654825qQctnv

That was a bragging rights FTF Martmann! Cachers with hundreds and hundreds of finds had trouble with that one!

quote:
If the cache is truly difficult, then it is a worthy competition.

I get this one very much. I had a great sense of satisfaction when I finished fractal's Contact Cache first.

Beyond that, I may occassionally work myself up to try and get one before others.

"Where shall the world be found, where will the word resound? Not here, there is not enough silence." - T.S. Eliot

pdx32.gif

Hmm... I wonder if some automated new cache posting time standard would be good.

Like, new caches only go online every six hour increment (midnight, 06:00, noon, 18:00)

That way, the website would get bogged down and start running reall slow a couple of times each day!

I hope that someday we will be able to put away

our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

I agree with Martmann that the uncertainty of a virgin cache adds to the trill. No extra clues, no social trails, not sure if the bugs have been worked out, etc.

With all the active cachers around here the cache is almost always found the first day it is posted. I have yet to get to one first but I think a little crowing may occur when I do icon_razz.gif.

And Dayvi, tough caches like Singularity don't fade from the collective memory, they become ledgend. I have vivid recollections of all the Dr.Koska and Dayvi caches that I have completed (or failed at).

Mark

quote:
Originally posted by Peanut Butter Brigade:

Yes, Bebubo is amazing, not just because he finds things so quickly, but because of his code of geocaching honor. He told me (when we met at a cache site) that he never searches for anything more than 2 weeks old.

Big deal.

That's not honor, that's being a bit obsessive compulsive.

Honor is when you actually 'hide' a cache once in a while to contribute to the sport/hobby. Your "amazing" example has found almost 300 caches while contributing "zero" to date for others.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

quote:
Originally posted by vds:

...that's being a bit obsessive compulsive.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

http://community.webshots.com/album/67423220KEECyy http://community.webshots.com/album/71654825qQctnv

More like redundant.

Cheers!

TL

Criminal wrote:

quote:
I still enjoy FTFs but solely so that I can rub the nose of a certain individual with the initials "TL"

Yeah, but how many FTNF logs do you have? icon_razz.gif I just went through my lists, and of my 64 not found logs, 35 of them were FTNFs. Compare that to my 14 FTFs.

Among my 64 FTNFs, 9 of them were the first logs of any kind. One of them was with the Victoria Cache Machine (which logged 17 finds on the cache, and only two not founds, including mine). One of them (Nisqually Reach) I logged two first not founds then someone found it, then I found it. And one (Centauri Bravo) I got the first not found and a first find the next day.

I did just find out about Skydiver's cache alert service, which should end up getting me many more FTNF logs.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

quote:
Originally posted by chubby forest monkey:

...why do people seem so darned disappointed if they are not the first ones?

So, who was the second man to walk on the moon?

But me, I'm happy just to have achieved my first find!

I hope that someday we will be able to put away

our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

So, who was the second man to walk on the moon?

Buzz Aldrin. Cool guy; got into a scuffle not too long ago with some *** harassing him and trying to get him to 'admit' that the moon landings were all faked. Aldrin eventually had enough, and things got physical. The guy sued (Aldrin's in his early 70s, this guy in his 30s). The suit was laughed out of court...

---

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

Buzz Aldrin. Cool guy; got into a scuffle not too long ago with some *** harassing him and trying to get him to 'admit' that the moon landings were all faked. Aldrin eventually had enough, and things got physical. The guy sued (Aldrin's in his early 70s, this guy in his 30s). The suit was laughed out of court...

---

Buzz rocks!

Feed your head!

-fractal