August Souvenir Challenge

Last year's August icons was made more fun for me by challenging myself to find caches directly related to the Souvenir pictures for each day. I had a great time doing it, but this year the challenge is a little different. I'm interested in getting some other folks in my area involved in a challenge for this year's August souvenirs. I'd like to make a "First to achieve" contest LOCALLY. This is like the FTF race - nothing official, just for fun. The goal would be to challenge folks to be first to legitimately earn the achievement souvenir - in other words, don't do 6 caches the week before and log them all like you did them on August 1st.

So - the question I have is - when will the icons be OFFICIALLY available? Will it be midnight of the local time zone, midnight GMT, midnight Pacific Time, or what? I want to set up the parameters for the race so people know when they can officially start.

Last year's August souvenirs became available at least as early as midnight in the UTC+14:00 time zone (the one just west of the International Date Line). That is, there were people getting up in places like New Zealand and getting awarded the souvenir for August 1 when it was still July 31 in Seattle. It may have been made available even earlier, but you'd have to find someone who future-logged a cache (ie. logged a find dated August 1, but submitted it before midnight UTC+14:00) to tell for sure. I have to assume the same procedure will be used this year.

Therefore, if you're really gung-ho to be the first to get the souvenirs, you'd want to mis-date your finds as August 1 and submit your logs around 1000 UTC on July 31. You'd be lying, though (some would consider this "cheating"), so I personally wouldn't recommend this plan of action. I suggest heading out just after midnight in your local time zone to find the caches and using a smartphone to log your finds from the field.

So they're doing that again?

Are these the "same" souvenirs as last year's? I already have all 31 from last year...so I assume there would be no advantage to streaking again (wonder if that'll make it into the out-of-context thread...).

Edited by J Grouchy

Are these the "same" souvenirs as last year's? I already have all 31 from last year...so I assume there would be no advantage to streaking again (wonder if that'll make it into the out-of-context thread...).

No, there are 6 souvenirs for finding different cache types and a 7th bonus souvenir if you get the other 6.

Details in the newsletter, and here (you will have to go to the page to get all the links):

http://blog.geocaching.com/

New Souvenirs for August, New Quiz Now

Welcome to your geocaching mission this summer. During the month of August, earn six new Geocaching souvenirs by finding specific types of geocaches. Only by finding all six souvenirs do you unlock a special seventh “Achiever” souvenir. And we always knew you were an achiever.

Check out your personalized 7 Souvenirs of August Trophy Case for details. It’s a page that’s worth adding to your bookmarks. You’ll need it. Once you’ve collected all six souvenirs, visit your 7 Souvenirs of August Trophy Case to unlock the rare 7th “Achiever” souvenir. If you’re new to geocaching, a souvenir is an exclusive digital reward for your online profile.

While your journey to find the 7 Souvenirs of August begins on August 1 and lasts through August 31, you can start the adventure right now. Take the new Geocaching Personality Quiz. Each of the six personality types in the quiz reveals a souvenir you’re challenged to discover in August. Questions? Check out your 7 Souvenirs of August Trophy Case for answers. Ready to begin celebrating? Check out the new 7 Souvenirs swag on sale now.

B.

Earn All Six Souvenirs and Unlock the Achiever

Find a Traditional geocache to earn the Explorer souvenir.

The Puzzler Souvenir Find a Mystery Cache to earn the Puzzler souvenir.

The Sightseer Souvenir Find a Multi-Cache to earn the Sightseer souvenir.

The Nature Lover Souvenir Attend a CITO event or find an EarthCache to earn the Nature Lover souvenir.

The Socializer Souvenir Attend an Event Cache, Mega-Event or Giga-Event to unlock the Socializer souvenir.

The Collector Souvenir Find a Virtual Cache, Wherigo, Letterbox Hybrid or Webcam Cache to earn the Collector souvenir.

I'm happy that this souvenir promotion actually has to do with geocaching.

Now that I look at the requirements, it seems pretty do-able, and is more in line with what we would do in the normal course of things.

Except for that "attend an event" thing...hmmmmm.

B.

That shouldn't be too hard for me. The more difficult one will be the "Nature Lover" (CITO or Earthcache). I've attended 2 CITOs and found 1 or 2 Earthcaches in the time I've been geocaching.

Interesting that one category includes two grandfathered types.

Interesting, also, that that category includes a type that, around here anyway, is basically the same as a traditional cache.

The Nature Lover Souvenir Attend a CITO event or find an EarthCache to earn the Nature Lover souvenir.

The Socializer Souvenir Attend an Event Cache, Mega-Event or Giga-Event to unlock the Socializer souvenir.

The Collector Souvenir Find a Virtual Cache, Wherigo, Letterbox Hybrid or Webcam Cache to earn the Collector souvenir.

The classification into cacher types does not even match closely my understanding of the cache types.

Among all my finds that I associate most closely with nature lover there is not a single Earth cache and I regard CITOs as events with an icon which is rarer and which mainly take place at the weekend where attendants get an extra souvenir and not with loving nature.

Even more weird seems to be the association between multi caches and sightseeing. My favourite multi caches are about hiking and experiencing the wonders of Mother Earth.

I find it amusing that when taking the quiz I'm classified as nature lover (which is true) and get recommended CITOs and Earthcaches, two cache types which are not among my favourites at all.

Now that I look at the requirements, it seems pretty do-able, and is more in line with what we would do in the normal course of things.

I wonder what should be the appeal of earning souvenirs for what one is doing all year long.

I do not like the idea of selecting caches due to their cache type.

Cezanne

I'm usually not that interested in souvenirs or challenges, but the ones they have planned for August actually interest me especially as it includes the a variety of different cache types and a 7th bonus souvenir. It actually looks like fun!

Am all for it too, glad they did not do one specifically for the grandfathered ones, as those are often very hard to find, especially if someone has already done them in their area. At least LBHs can be listed.

I'm usually not that interested in souvenirs or challenges, but the ones they have planned for August actually interest me especially as it includes the a variety of different cache types and a 7th bonus souvenir. It actually looks like fun!

I love souvenirs, so this August promotion has captured my interest. I wasn't the least bit interested in the 31 Days thing of last year, as that was not our style of caching.

I guess since August is also the month of International Geocaching Day, there will be an event or two that we could attend. I like getting the souvenir for IGD, but we usually find a cache to get that one.

We've got a few Earthcaches that I've been meaning to check out, so that will get us the Nature Lover souvenir.

It's really nice to see a souvenir promotion that will encourage new cachers to find different types of caches.

B.

B.

Easily do-able, you can host your own event if nobody else does it.

Interesting that one category includes two grandfathered types.

There's still lots of those around (Virtuals, at least). Off the top of my head, there are at least as many Virtuals as there are LBHs in my area.

Yes. There are 52 Virtuals within 50 miles. After ten years of geocaching we have found 30 of them. Two are cemetery caches, and we don't do those. Most of the remaining ones are in Pennsylvania or New York, and we weren't planning on going there on vacation. Planning on an Alpha-Numeric Challenge for my 5000th find. That should qualify for a 'Mystery" with the ?, though it isn't really a mystery cache. LBHs would probably be easier. The other problem is that we don't do a lot of Events. Usually at bad times for us. Don't drive at night. And a lot are at inconvenient times. Oh, well. We'll see what we can do.

B.

the "attend" is the one that will get us as well, we aren't really into events, it would be nice to have an alternative to that.

Last year's August icons was made more fun for me by challenging myself to find caches directly related to the Souvenir pictures for each day. I had a great time doing it, but this year the challenge is a little different. I'm interested in getting some other folks in my area involved in a challenge for this year's August souvenirs. I'd like to make a "First to achieve" contest LOCALLY. This is like the FTF race - nothing official, just for fun. The goal would be to challenge folks to be first to legitimately earn the achievement souvenir - in other words, don't do 6 caches the week before and log them all like you did them on August 1st.

So - the question I have is - when will the icons be OFFICIALLY available? Will it be midnight of the local time zone, midnight GMT, midnight Pacific Time, or what? I want to set up the parameters for the race so people know when they can officially start.

I am thinking the icons presented at the end of the personality quiz are the Icons that will be used for the challenge. So you will just need to take the quiz a few times to preview them.

Traditional - might be hard, unless I can get out kayaking.

Virtuals - seem like more of a sightseer to me, which is why I have already marked them for an August trip, but I could easily end up doing letterboxes or Wherigos before then.

Earthcaches - it goes without saying since we will be traveling.

Mystery - it wouldn't seem right if I got a Puzzler souvenir but every once in a while I stop for a question mark.

So I might pick up a few, but since I hide my souvenirs it will probably will not be noticed.

Edited by geodarts

Great little promotion that will get less experienced cachers to experience other cache types that parking lot micros :laughing:

I like it and will certainly participate. Though the remaining caches here in Qatar are not the most varied of sort, I still have a letterbox and an EarthCache to find. And an event is quickly organized.

We wanted to place a new EarthCache, but decided to wait until autumn as it would require to venture out into a sandier part of the desert where you don't want to get stuck in summer temperatures. But maybe it's worth looking at how to get there and place it before August. :)

They haven't said anything about it, but I guess this means that the 31 Days of Geocaching won't be returning this year.

...not that I'm saddened by that at all...

Ditto, I think the whole concept of souvis is a bit silly But if it gets cachers to try something different in order to get a steenkin badge on their profile then it' a good thing.

The classification into cacher types does not even match closely my understanding of the cache types.

Among all my finds that I associate most closely with nature lover there is not a single Earth cache and I regard CITOs as events with an icon which is rarer and which mainly take place at the weekend where attendants get an extra souvenir and not with loving nature.

Even more weird seems to be the association between multi caches and sightseeing. My favourite multi caches are about hiking and experiencing the wonders of Mother Earth.

I find it amusing that when taking the quiz I'm classified as nature lover (which is true) and get recommended CITOs and Earthcaches, two cache types which are not among my favourites at all.Now that I look at the requirements, it seems pretty do-able, and is more in line with what we would do in the normal course of things.

I wonder what should be the appeal of earning souvenirs for what one is doing all year long.

I do not like the idea of selecting caches due to their cache type.

Cezanne

Maybe next year's August souvi promo will include Forum Curmudgeon and Grump? :rolleyes:

Yes. There are 52 Virtuals within 50 miles. After ten years of geocaching we have found 30 of them. Two are cemetery caches, and we don't do those. Most of the remaining ones are in Pennsylvania or New York, and we weren't planning on going there on vacation. Planning on an Alpha-Numeric Challenge for my 5000th find. That should qualify for a 'Mystery" with the ?, though it isn't really a mystery cache. LBHs would probably be easier. The other problem is that we don't do a lot of Events. Usually at bad times for us. Don't drive at night. And a lot are at inconvenient times. Oh, well. We'll see what we can do.

Seems like you have plenty of options: 1. ignore the souvi promo and just carry on. 2. Step outside of your comfort zone and do things you normally don't to score the souvi. Host a breakfast event or get a geopal to do one so you can score that souvi.

Great little promotion that will get less experienced cachers to experience other cache types that parking lot micros :laughing:

I do believe that this is what it's all about. The folks at marketing are trying to get newer cachers off the pavement so that they might actually stick around for more than a few months and discover that geocaching is more than PnGs.

I don't really care about souvis although I am an icon ho and really want to attend a giga event to re-complete my set. But I might change my habits a bit just for kicks and giggles.

I like this set of souvenirs and the promotion in general. I will dole them out over the month of August ... I already targeted an Earthcache, I'll make sure there is an event (probably on International Geocaching Day), and of course the traditional and multi should be easy to pick off. I expect to get the achiever unlocked by International Geocaching Day.

I also couldn't resist doing a little swag shopping already ... I bought the set of tags :)

[

I do believe that this is what it's all about. The folks at marketing are trying to get newer cachers off the pavement so that they might actually stick around for more than a few months and discover that geocaching is more than PnGs.

I don't really care about souvis although I am an icon ho and really want to attend a giga event to re-complete my set. But I might change my habits a bit just for kicks and giggles.

I do not care about the August souvenirs, but if others enjoy them, why not. What surprises me however is that all the cachers who answered in this thread and showed their interest into the promotion are experienced cachers and not beginners. I find it hard to understand what's the attraction of the 7 souvenirs for experienced cachers.

Cezanne

Maybe next year's August souvi promo will include Forum Curmudgeon and Grump? :rolleyes:

I was just thinking of this, using the exact same words.

If those badges were out this year I think I would only get curmudgeon. But I'm pretty sure that by next year, if I work hard, I can get the grump badge too! :D

[

I do not care about the August souvenirs, but if others enjoy them, why not. What surprises me however is that all the cachers who answered in this thread and showed their interest into the promotion are experienced cachers and not beginners. I find it hard to understand what's the attraction of the 7 souvenirs for experienced cachers.

Cezanne

I try to find good in all aspects of geocaching. Hikes, puzzles, park and grabs, easy or tough smileys, DNFs, and specifically arranged colorful pixels on our profile page. I try not to complain. Much. :)

[

Cezanne

Just because it is something a little different and fun to do. What is so hard to understand about that? Also, in some cases, some of those are not that easy for the old-timers or people in various circumstances. Your "meh" maybe another's fun challenge.

There are 52 Virtuals within 50 miles. After ten years of geocaching we have found 30 of them. Two are cemetery caches, and we don't do those.

Why don't you do cemetery virtuals specifically? I can understand not wanting physical caches in a cemetery (they aren't generally allowed here anyway), but quite often the virtuals in cemeteries have some historical significance.

To be honest, I don't really get much enjoyment out of virtuals - especially having to send emails separately from the log...but I don't really exclude them from my searches.

Seems like you have plenty of options: 1. ignore the souvi promo and just carry on. 2. Step outside of your comfort zone and do things you normally don't to score the souvi. Host a breakfast event or get a geopal to do one so you can score that souvi.

A third option is to cache as you would any other month, then hide any unwanted souvenirs added to your profile.

A third option is to cache as you would any other month, then hide any unwanted souvenirs added to your profile.

If we were heading out with the purpose of getting all, cool.

Since we don't intend to and the souvis (this year) already have the hide option in place, option three seems to be our best bet.

I'd like to see an option four, where you don't automatically get these things if you don't care to participate.

Last August a local group created 31 "flash mob" events at various landmarks around town, one occuring on each day of the month. Folks would meet at a specified time, sign a log book, snap a group photo and then go about their business. I actually went to one and got to meet a few folks that I'll occasionally see around town at other events or use as a "PAF" on a difficult cache, etc. Maybe host a similar type of event cache in your area. I'd bet you'd have a decent turnout of folks interested in getting that particular souvenir.

Just because it is something a little different and fun to do. What is so hard to understand about that?

I do not understand what's different for experienced cachers who I have found many caches of many different types. Most of them write that they can fulfill the requirements rather easily if they want to.

If the task would be to find all six types on the same day, then I can imagine that it might be a challenge also for many experienced cachers depending on their home area, but not within a month.

I first thought that maybe the situation in the US might be different, but what has been posted here does not made me believe that the task is really a serious challenge.

Your "meh" maybe another's fun challenge.

Certainly, but that was not part of what surprised me.

I do not care about the D/T grid, but I do understand why many others care about it. Filling the D/T grid is ususally challenging - getting the 7 souvenirs seems to be easy for most who post in this thread.

[

Cezanne

I too have never been interested in souvenirs. There's just not anything about them that makes geocaching special or more fun for me. But, i guess i can see why many cachers like them. Just like stamps, movie memorabilia, avon bottles, stuffed animals, etc, etc,,, souvenirs are things that can be collected. Well, virtually anyway. Some collections are lame to some people, others are pretty cool but that doesn't matter since it's fun for the person doing the collecting. Being on the geocaching site, and being that they are geocaching related, it's no wonder there is alot of interest.

Edited by Mudfrog

Part of my enjoyment of geocaching is challenging myself from time to time to something new and different. I also enjoy challenging others. So when the 31 days of caching came out last year, I upped the ante. 31 days in a row was easy for me, so I added a personal stipulation to match the images on the cache dates. Doing the 6 things for this year is VERY easy, but a race? That could be a fun challenge! So here I am, trying to make the rules and lay the groundwork for what I hope will be fun for many in our area. I'm even considering grabbing the 7 tags to give to the winner!

I think I've decided to give a very arbitrary starting time like sunrise on August 1st to try to keep folks from going after earthcaches and such that they shouldn't be getting until after dark, anyway. I'm still thinking about it. Maybe I'll do a breakfast event that Friday morning to "wrap up" the challenge and get them the last souvenir. Just brainstorming.

Being on the geocaching site, and being that they are geocaching related, it's no wonder there is alot of interest.

But this interest somehow also means that apparently these 7 new souvenirs appeal at least as much to experienced cachers who like souvenirs than to the newcomers which have been mentioned as target of this year's souvenir action.

Last August a local group created 31 "flash mob" events at various landmarks around town, one occuring on each day of the month. Folks would meet at a specified time, sign a log book, snap a group photo and then go about their business. I actually went to one and got to meet a few folks that I'll occasionally see around town at other events or use as a "PAF" on a difficult cache, etc. Maybe host a similar type of event cache in your area. I'd bet you'd have a decent turnout of folks interested in getting that particular souvenir.

I would prefer to get a souvenir for attending a specific event (i.e. a mega event) then see events created for the purpose of obtaining a souvenir. That said, I will likely be in Costa Rica the second week of August and although there are three caches close to the hotel I'll be staying at, all three appear to be missing (one of them was last found in 2011), so I'm considering "hosting" an event to meet some of the Tico geocachers.

There are 52 Virtuals within 50 miles. After ten years of geocaching we have found 30 of them. Two are cemetery caches, and we don't do those.

Why don't you do cemetery virtuals specifically? I can understand not wanting physical caches in a cemetery (they aren't generally allowed here anyway), but quite often the virtuals in cemeteries have some historical significance.

To be honest, I don't really get much enjoyment out of virtuals - especially having to send emails separately from the log...but I don't really exclude them from my searches.

Just my personal opinion, since so many cachers seem to enjoy wandering about cemeteries, even having picnics. I find it disrespectful. And I don't do them. "What year did this person die?" "How old was this person when she died?" Nope. Cemeteries are for paying respect to the deceased. And, IMHO, caches are disrespectful.

True.

1)I could ignore the veneers. But this one almost looks like fun.

2)Out of my comfort zone? Hmm... The ones in New York are mostly on Long Island. First bridge/tunnel $15. Second bridge/tunnel: $6 each way. Then there is the traffic. A couple of hours to drive ten miles. Yup. That's outside my comfort zone. In the early days, we did a number on Long Island. But that was before caches locally became so prevalent. Pennsylvania? That would be a possibility for a long caching day. But, if we go on the partial Pennsylvania Challenge, then we would have a good possibility to find a virtual. Otherwise, I'll stick to the one near the Alpha Numeric challenge I want.

3) I'm antisocial! I have never hosted a event. And don't plan on doing so. Just not my style. I could go for the First Monday Event, but I logged that one six years ago... Maybe some more convenient ones will pop up? Definitely the toughest veneer on the list, for me.

It's not a hard challenge, it is just a little fun, an extra something to think about when picking what caches to persue next.

For a few cachers, they might have to step out of their comfort zone and attend an event or try to solve a puzzle or something.

This! :P

Actually, it's pure luck we can fulfill this little challenge as we so far have not been in the areas of the only letterbox and only yet unlogged EarthCache* :lol: Oh, and the necessary event was just published. Yep, we're done B)

*well... it's more or less a copy of my own, just a few meters away. But why should I ignore it?

Just my personal opinion, since so many cachers seem to enjoy wandering about cemeteries, even having picnics. I find it disrespectful. And I don't do them. "What year did this person die?" "How old was this person when she died?" Nope. Cemeteries are for paying respect to the deceased. And, IMHO, caches are disrespectful.

Accepted.

I rather think death is a part of life, and not for slowly walking around in black clothes. If it's part of life then why not have a picknic or look at some stones? In Copenhagen some of the old graveyards are in fact parcs where people go to for running, cycling, and also for having a picknic.

Just because it is something a little different and fun to do. What is so hard to understand about that?

I do not understand what's different for experienced cachers who I have found many caches of many different types. Most of them write that they can fulfill the requirements rather easily if they want to.

If the task would be to find all six types on the same day, then I can imagine that it might be a challenge also for many experienced cachers depending on their home area, but not within a month.

I first thought that maybe the situation in the US might be different, but what has been posted here does not made me believe that the task is really a serious challenge.

As usual, you are taking a narrow few and small sample as a broad indicator.

You want examples? Fine. There are LOTS of virtuals around me. Problem is, I got them all YEARS ago. There are some earth caches and a couple Wherigo's in the vicinity, but I am now disabled and caring for a terminally ill wife with limited mobility. That makes higher difficulty caches and traveling to get those I can access highly problematic at best, both in capability and in time availability.

You would think a quick event attendance would be a simple thing. Not always so. Life events get in the way and, again, you have time and travel issues. In the past few months there have been at least 4 events withing 10 miles of my house and I could not make any of them. Between MrsSQ being sick, in the hospital, or being immuno-suppressed, it just was not possible. The ones that are farther away take too much time on top of the same, or similar, personal conflicts.

Need I go on? Because I sure as heck can.

Being able to get out, within a month, and achieve these seemingly simple goals would be a fun and challenging accomplishment for me and, I am sure, many others in the caching community, regardless of how long they have been in the game. When a quick trip to the drugstore becomes a "fun outing", something like this becomes something special.

Being able to get out, within a month, and achieve these seemingly simple goals would be a fun and challenging accomplishment for me and, I am sure, many others in the caching community, regardless of how long they have been in the game. When a quick trip to the drugstore becomes a "fun outing", something like this becomes something special.

I've experienced times when I fighted to walk 200m or just to cross the road as the green phase of the traffic light was way too short for me. And there a still many things (whether cache-related or not) that I'd like to do, but will never be able to do. So, it does not surprise me at all that cachers in your situation or even in less difficult ones with fewer restrictions will regard the seven souvenirs once accomplished (even when not all of them are reachable) as something special. Nowadays it means a whole lot to me if I manage to a mountain hike (in particular the descent) which has meant nothing special to me when I was young.

I agree that for a systematic study just taking a few replies from this thread would not suffice. I was however neither trying to make a study on the community's reaction to the seven new souvenirs nor was I questioning the new souvenirs. The replies by a couple of experienced cachers for whom meeting the goals is easy and not special (as stated by themselves) was what surprised me.

Cezanne

Gonna be hard easy for me to get a letterbox, since ours are we hid the only ones within 50+ miles. That said, I imagine we'll get some good traffic on them next month.

Fixed that for you.

Not that I can tell. Unless you're suggesting we log a find on our own letterbox hybrid caches, which are the only ones within a 50 mile radius of our house, I fail to see the "fix."

edit to add: not sure why you crossed out the last part, either, as I am not the only geocacher within 50 miles, and I estimate that at least a few of them who have not yet logged our letterbox hybrids will do so for a souvenir.

Edited by hzoi

Others may see them as opportunities to teach/learn history of the city, its inhabitants and even its arts and architecture instead of walling themselves off against any but mourners. Have you never been to New Orleans? Atlanta?

I've experienced times when I fighted to walk 200m or just to cross the road as the green phase of the traffic light was way too short for me. And there a still many things (whether cache-related or not) that I'd like to do, but will never be able to do. So, it does not surprise me at all that cachers in your situation or even in less difficult ones with fewer restrictions will regard the seven souvenirs once accomplished (even when not all of them are reachable) as something special. Nowadays it means a whole lot to me if I manage to a mountain hike (in particular the descent) which has meant nothing special to me when I was young.

I agree that for a systematic study just taking a few replies from this thread would not suffice. I was however neither trying to make a study on the community's reaction to the seven new souvenirs nor was I questioning the new souvenirs. The replies by a couple of experienced cachers for whom meeting the goals is easy and not special (as stated by themselves) was what surprised me.

Cezanne

It shouldn't be surprising at all. Experienced or not, there is "bling" to be had. People like icons, souvenirs, and smiley faces and will grab them anytime they're available.

Cezanne

It shouldn't be surprising at all. Experienced or not, there is "bling" to be had. People like icons, souvenirs, and smiley faces and will grab them anytime they're available.

My other 2/3rds likes stats and the souvis, or "bling" as you call it.

- But she goes for the ones that interest her and doesn't like the fact souvis that mean little to her are placed in our profile, like it or not.

She cares enough about the souvis she's interested in that we didn't cache the entire month last year, because souvis we weren't interested in would be placed there, again, like it or not.