Airport Caches

clubstew

Obviously traditional caches - or any cache with a physical container at the final - are probably not a good idea in airports (especially in the paranoid US), but I'm curious why there are no virtual/Earth caches in airports. Is it not allowed? I read through many of the posting rules and didn't see anything specifically.

I considered because it might require payment (at least for caches in the majority of most airports) but especially when laid over a "multi-virtual" would help pass the time and I've seen other caches that require payment so that's probably not it (well, to be legal anyway; ex: WA state parks).

Are setting up virtual/Earth caches in airports allowed?

Virtual caches are no longer published on this site and earthcaches require a special earth science lesson that would probably make it difficult to develop. But there are some grandfathered virtual caches in or near airports. I have found some of them.

This bookmark list features caches that might be done at airports or close by (in the event of a longer layover). I also play another location based iphone game that let's me explore airports and helps pass the time.

Edited by geodarts

Obviously traditional caches - or any cache with a physical container at the final - are probably not a good idea in airports (especially in the paranoid US), but I'm curious why there are no virtual/Earth caches in airports. Is it not allowed? I read through many of the posting rules and didn't see anything specifically.

I considered because it might require payment (at least for caches in the majority of most airports) but especially when laid over a "multi-virtual" would help pass the time and I've seen other caches that require payment so that's probably not it (well, to be legal anyway; ex: WA state parks).

There *are* a few virtual caches at airports but as others have pointed out, new virtual caches were abolished quite a few years ago. I remember seeing one earth cache at an airport but typically it would be difficult to create on at an airport and meet the stricter criteria for earth caches (not much in the way of Earth Sciences in an area covered by asphalt). I did a virtual cache in Frankfurt, Germany at one of the gates. There's also a webcam cache in Zurich airport that I did. I've even found a traditional cache in an airport in Singapore. Hzoi has a really good bookmark list of airport layover caches. Perhaps they'll post a link to it.

I remember seeing one earth cache at an airport but typically it would be difficult to create on at an airport and meet the stricter criteria for earth caches (not much in the way of Earth Sciences in an area covered by asphalt).

Good points all, but it may actually be possible at some airports looking out the windows. For example, two of the airports I was at recently were Seattle-Tacoma and Salt Lake City. Both have beautiful views of the mountains which could be incorporated in.

I am aware of a couple of others games (dare not mention them by name, and learned about one of them while on this past vacation) but already have OCD with Geocaching so didn't want to get started on those as well. :)

Since virtuals are grandfathered that rules them out.

As others have said it's hard to fin a geological aspect about an airport. My best idea would be to find an airport with interesting building materials, such as interesting stones, etc. place an EC about the interesting materials used in the building. I'm pretty sure this is allowed as I've see a few like this (about old city halls, and catherdrals) but I'm noy sure if the newer EX guidlines disallow this. It's something to look into, I guess. Other than that there isn't too much geology at an airport.

It'd be interesting to see one publiahed though. "Cracks in the runway - A Earthcache by ________" :D

As others have said it's hard to fin a geological aspect about an airport. My best idea would be to find an airport with interesting building materials, such as interesting stones, etc. place an EC about the interesting materials used in the building. I'm pretty sure this is allowed as I've see a few like this (about old city halls, and catherdrals) but I'm noy sure if the newer EX guidlines disallow this. It's something to look into, I guess. Other than that there isn't too much geology at an airport.

It'd be interesting to see one publiahed though. "Cracks in the runway - A Earthcache by ________" :D

So really what is needed is a new cache type " Historical Cache or Architecture" Alas, that is for another thread I bet.

You should probably go read a few earth cache listings. Just looking out a window will not meet their guidelines. There is also an earth cache forum on this site that will gibpve you more info.

Exactly! You would not be able to develop a logging task that combines the geology you're looking at and read in the description if the geological feature is too far away. And lets be honest: the geology of a whole mountain range is far too complex to introduce in a few sentences :laughing:

Btw, Earthscience does not include ecology.

Mrs. terratin.

I remember seeing this one awhile back and it took a little while to find it, but here's an Earthcache that is located in a cave under the airport in Dubrovnic, Croatia

The SkyCellar - Durovića špilja

Here's a traditional in an airport. Singapore (Changi) airport is somewhat unique in that every gate has it's own security checkpoint so you can get into the full terminal even if you're not flying anywhere. You *do* however have to go through immigration/passport control going into/out of the airport.

Butterfly Garden @ Changi Airport T3 Transit

In addition to the RWY 42 virtual cache in Frankfurt airport there's also a virtual inside Chicago Ohare airport.

Sorry about that. Wrong term.

We have earth caches here in Canada that are more about how the geology relates to the biology - i.e. ecology. ;) Perhaps it's more limited in the States, or maybe those I've seen were placed before stricter guidelines were put in place.

Sorry about that. Wrong term.

We have earth caches here in Canada that are more about how the geology relates to the biology - i.e. ecology. ;) Perhaps it's more limited in the States, or maybe those I've seen were placed before stricter guidelines were put in place.

Don't worry. That does sound fine. We picked up a really nice one here a while ago about the landscape formed by the last iceage. It also had some bits and pieces on how this influenced landuse over the last 10.000 years, e.g. deforestation on good soils and needle trees used to nutrient-poor ground and quick water-runoff growing on dunes. Good stuff!

Mrs. terratin

I've wondered about this myself. I'm reasonably sure a GZ inside the security perimeter wouldn't be allowed. (I saw one old virtual inside the secure zone of an airport, but I couldn't get it because even though I was also in the secure zone, I wasn't secure enough: it was in an area that only people on international flights could enter.) So I think here's the main rub: if you're between flights, you'd have to go out of security and, hence, would have to come back in. With security lines as long as they are, I doubt many people would do that on a typical layover. I think that's probably why it isn't done very often. Instead, people just hide traditional caches near an airport, convenient for people going to and from the airport, but not convenient for people just passing through.

I've wondered about this myself. I'm reasonably sure a GZ inside the security perimeter wouldn't be allowed. (I saw one old virtual inside the secure zone of an airport, but I couldn't get it because even though I was also in the secure zone, I wasn't secure enough: it was in an area that only people on international flights could enter.) So I think here's the main rub: if you're between flights, you'd have to go out of security and, hence, would have to come back in. With security lines as long as they are, I doubt many people would do that on a typical layover. I think that's probably why it isn't done very often. Instead, people just hide traditional caches near an airport, convenient for people going to and from the airport, but not convenient for people just passing through.

When I looked at the bookmark list that hzoi created with 283 caches on it, it looks like there are only two that are virtual caches inside the airport terminal. I'm pretty sure that the one at Frankfurt one is in the international terminal. I don't know about the one in Chicago-Ohare. The webcam cache at Zurich airport is definitely in the international terminal.

I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a typical layover. I've had layover from 45 minutes to 21 hours. I've found caches during a layover quite a few times and could probably offer some tips.

On a U.S. domestic flight you have to account for how long it takes from your arrival to the *boarding* time of your departure. A bit of preparation will tell you how long it might typically take to get out of the airport. If your plane arrives at a gate (rather than parking on the tarmac and taking a shuttle to terminal) unless it's a really big airport that has it's terminals interconnected with a shuttle (e.g. Atlanta, Denver) it usually won't take more than 10-15 minutes to get outside because you won't be going through security. When coming back in you won't be checking in (you'll already have your boarding pass) so you can go directly through security and to your departure gate. Printing out a map of the terminal (available at most airport web sites) can show you were the security checkpoints are located. You can usually see how long the line is from inside the secured part of the terminal before exiting. I typically wouldn't try going out to try and find a cache unless you've got at least a 2 hour layover.

On international flights you have to go through passport control both exiting and entering the airport and through security. Sometimes passport control (especially on arrival) can take longer than security. If a visa is required (and available at the airport) that can some additional time (and money). I generally would't try to exit and re-enter a layover airport unless I had at least 3 hours of layover time. I've been through international airports when it took longer than that even when I *didn't* go outside.

If you *do* decide to go outside to find a cache, you can do lots of research before the trip. Check if there any nearby caches near long term parking or rental car lots. You can take free shuttles to/from these locations and they often run frequently. Look for caches near airport hotels. There are usually free shuttles for those as well. A taxi might be faster. Go to the airport web site and find the "ground transportation" page. A lot of larger airports are served by light rail or metro lines, often accessible from terminal. Check those rail line routes to see the closest stations near the airport and if there are any caches nearby. During a 6 hour layover in Tokyo I found that there was a light rail to the town of Narita (about 10 minutes from the airport) and I was able to get there and back and have a couple of hours away from the airport to do some caching. I've used light rail/metro trains from the airport in Paris, Istanbul, and Copenhagen as well.

Bring up the geocaching maps page and zoom in on the airport. Even if the airport doesn't have a light rail/metro line going directly to the airport it will usually have bus service. Look for the little blue white transit icons. You can see if there are caches near some of the transit icons near the airport then search for the local bus service web sites to print out a transit map and get routes and schedules. Sometimes it might be easier to find a few caches along a transit further from the airport than get to some of the closer caches.

When booking flights see if there is an option for longer layover rather than take the next available flight. Personally, when I have two long flights back to back I'd rather have a 4-5 hour layover than a 1-2 hour layover. A lot of regular long haul flights might go out every day at the same time. You might have to use a mulit-city search so that you book the flight on the following day, and of course it would probably require a overnight stay in a hotel, but if it's a city you'd really like to visit, an overnight layover is a nice way to spend a little time in a place you might not get to again.

Agreeing with NYPC, extending an layover is sometimes the best way to get out of the airport area, especially if a long overnight flight is involved. We've played this game twice in the past few years. Our overnight flight to Frankfurt Germany routed through Chicago. Instead of taking a mid afternoon flight from NC to O'Hare and dealing with a 3-4 hour layover, we took an early morning flight up and had local friends pick us up for a day on the town and some cache stops.

Even better was our routing on our return flight after our Alaskan Cruisetour in '12. After getting off the cruise ship in Seward we took the train to Denali and then onto Fairbanks. We were using frequent flyer miles for our airfare, but United doesn't service Fairbanks, so we had to take Alaska Air down to Anchorage to get to a United flight. Again, instead of taking an afternoon flight and sitting in the terminal for 2-3 hours, we booked the first flight out of Fairbanks, met up with an Anchorage area cacher we had met at an event a few days earlier, and spent the day at Portage Bay south of the city for some of the most scenic caching of the whole trip.

The view across the lake from our lunch table:

8476fe52-4735-44d3-a497-ddd9dee91506.jpg

Obviously traditional caches - or any cache with a physical container at the final - are probably not a good idea in airports (especially in the paranoid US)...

I have to disagree - they are a fantastic idea! The problem is to find the right offical person responsible for the airport and getting the approval from him. But it is possible, as we have proved at Düsseldorf International Airport (DUS). A manager of the airport was very open minded when we talked to him about a travel bug hotel right inside the airport departure hall. He made it all possible. The cache DUS International TB-Hotel was published in August last year and received a lot of attention. People love it and lots of TBs are traded.

Here is a short video, used as an additional guide to find the cache:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUDEPO1ODFI

The cache is a big, solid metal box, right in the open - all relevant airport employees know about it. So my advice is: Try it! Find the right person and just ask. This might even work with "paranoid" US officials :D

The Chicago one is air-side domestic.

It was the fIrst "cache" we hit of about 240 over 6 states in a crazy long weekend. My buds had some states on the map they wanted to fill in. I was just along for fun.

It is in the United area and so, if you are on another airline, you would have to change terminals.

The airport at St. Barts is notable for geology. The island's website says:

The airstrip in St Barts is small, and pilots are required to have special training to land. For many, the landing, especially on a windy day, is an adventure in itself.

That "adventure" is too much for some - they fly to St. Martin & take a boat over. There is a low mountain (igneous rock ?!) at one end of the runway & water at the other. Typical landing is: come in just over the mountain, cut way back on the engines, drop fast, touch down on runway, instantly reverse thrust to stop very fast. I've talked to people who will never do it again. The earthcache can involve volcanic action creating mountains & islands.

In addition to the RWY 42 virtual cache in Frankfurt airport there's also a virtual inside Chicago Ohare airport.

Changi Airport T3 Transit was an easy cache to get. After spending a few days in Singapore we had an early morning flight back home.

So I was able to get my best Maximum distance in a day: 8067 Miles got the one in Singapore at 6am and got one in Washington State just a few hours later.

I was bummed out that all the butterflys were asleep when I was there.

The Rwy 42 cache took us about an hour to get from our gate out to the hinterlands and back again. Only works if you on the schengen side of customs.

Changi Airport T3 Transit was an easy cache to get. After spending a few days in Singapore we had an early morning flight back home.

So I was able to get my best Maximum distance in a day: 8067 Miles got the one in Singapore at 6am and got one in Washington State just a few hours later.

I was bummed out that all the butterflys were asleep when I was there.

The Rwy 42 cache took us about an hour to get from our gate out to the hinterlands and back again. Only works if you on the schengen side of customs.

I didn't see any butterflies at the Changi Airport T3 Transit cache either, but it was also at night and raining. I got lucky with the RWY 42 cache since I was flying from Frankfurt to Marseilles my departure gate was really close. I've flown from Asia back to the U.S. three times but always directly to Newark, NJ. After 14 hours on a plane I was ready for sleep more than geocaching. If I recall, a flight from Beijing to Seattle arrives 2 minutes after it departs.

I have to disagree - they are a fantastic idea! The problem is to find the right offical person responsible for the airport and getting the approval from him. But it is possible, as we have proved at Düsseldorf International Airport (DUS).

Thanks for that. I go to Dusseldorf for work fairly often and I'll look out for this next time I go.

There is a nice cache inside Prague airport too

Letiste Vaclava Havla Praha

The airport at St. Barts is notable for geology. The island's website says:

The airstrip in St Barts is small, and pilots are required to have special training to land. For many, the landing, especially on a windy day, is an adventure in itself.

That "adventure" is too much for some - they fly to St. Martin & take a boat over. There is a low mountain (igneous rock ?!) at one end of the runway & water at the other. Typical landing is: come in just over the mountain, cut way back on the engines, drop fast, touch down on runway, instantly reverse thrust to stop very fast. I've talked to people who will never do it again. The earthcache can involve volcanic action creating mountains & islands.

That's awesome.

It's possible to place earthcaches in many places people don't place them. Most people only seem to place earthcaches if there's an informational plaque at the site because they do not want to make their own observations/ research, whether it's because their lazy or afraid to be wrong. I'm not saying these locations shouldn't have earthcaches: I'll visit an earthcache anywhere! I'm just saying that there's many other places we can place earthcaches at that don't have information plaques at the site. It seems like around my area we're running out of plaques so that'll happen soon! :)

Agreeing with NYPC, extending an layover is sometimes the best way to get out of the airport area, especially if a long overnight flight is involved. We've played this game twice in the past few years. Our overnight flight to Frankfurt Germany routed through Chicago. Instead of taking a mid afternoon flight from NC to O'Hare and dealing with a 3-4 hour layover, we took an early morning flight up and had local friends pick us up for a day on the town and some cache stops.

Even better was our routing on our return flight after our Alaskan Cruisetour in '12. After getting off the cruise ship in Seward we took the train to Denali and then onto Fairbanks. We were using frequent flyer miles for our airfare, but United doesn't service Fairbanks, so we had to take Alaska Air down to Anchorage to get to a United flight. Again, instead of taking an afternoon flight and sitting in the terminal for 2-3 hours, we booked the first flight out of Fairbanks, met up with an Anchorage area cacher we had met at an event a few days earlier, and spent the day at Portage Bay south of the city for some of the most scenic caching of the whole trip.

Beautiful! And I can see the cache, so it must be d1/t5.

You see it, don't you? :P

Beautiful! And I can see the cache, so it must be d1/t5.

You see it, don't you? :P

I'm sorry, what you are seeing is not the cache, but the backpack of the last person to attempt it. The cache is just out of sight to the upper left. :laughing:

I had a cache at a small privately owned airport. It was archived after another cacher (actually a well know Marylander who unfortunately has lead the leading Maryland Geocaching group too) made up some story about the owner complaining about it. It was archived before I even had a chance to address the issue. Turned out he lied, as I spoke with the owner of the airport later and he LOVED the idea of the cache being at the airport because it gave much needed attention of the little airport. Later, the county's leading ham radio club started holding its annual Field Day event there too. I moved away, so never got around to getting it republished. I am considering doing something at the airports in Florida (where I live most of the time).

So sometimes it isn't just the authorities...but other cachers that have issues with caches at airports. However, don't let it deter you. Just need patience and the proper permission.

I think that having no Earthcaches in airports in big cities is easily explained by the fact that you usually cannot see much interesting (in sense of geology) while staying within the perimeter of the airport.

On a clear day you can see the Olympic Mountains from Sea-Tac airport in Seattle. Would make a good obducted clastic wedge EC.

I think that having no Earthcaches in airports in big cities is easily explained by the fact that you usually cannot see much interesting (in sense of geology) while staying within the perimeter of the airport.

On a clear day you can see the Olympic Mountains from Sea-Tac airport in Seattle. Would make a good obducted clastic wedge EC.

A couple of people mentioned an earthcache that is on a railroad bridge in between Denmark and Sweden that pretty much requires being traveling on the train to gather information necessary for logging the cache. I wonder if an earth cache could be created which require viewing some geological feature from above. It might require some preplanning which includes selecting a window seat on the correct side of the plane but it certainly would be unique.

I was a transport Canada security supervisor (I carried a Gun) and no type of activity like this would be allowed in a International airport due to security regulations (in Canada) of course it does not stop people from trying, We had an issue with Munzee's to.

I was a transport Canada security supervisor (I carried a Gun):ph34r: and no type of activity like this would be allowed in a International airport due to security regulations (in Canada) of course it does not stop people from trying, We had an issue with Munzee's to.

Really? I personally can't see how Munzee's The Game That Must Not Be Named would be a security risk. I mean what? That little sticker is hiding a nuclear warhead?

Edited by T.D.M.22

Munich/Germany, MUC: GC1PQE6 "TB-Hotel -=First Class=- Munich Airport". On the parking deck, with a good view to the airport scenery, accesible even in business clothes. It has official approvement by airport management and law enforcement.

A great cache to let trackables off into all corners of the world, cacher frequeny is high.

Unfortunately it was muggled some werks ago (including the trackables), but recently was replaced in a slightly other spot. The CO is very active to maintain this, it gets a lot of FP: 433 at the moment.

I think the list has already been posted here, but I try to maintain this bookmark list of caches at or near commercial airports around the world. It's sorted by the 3-character IATA code, since that's what is shown on most folks' tickets or boarding passes.

There are currently close to 300 caches on it, I'm always happy to add more. I've already added seven from this thread I didn't know about, so I'm always open to suggestions.

On my way to Geowoodstock (the year it was in Bell Buckle), I had a connection through Minneapolis with a 3 hour layover. Since the LRT/subway system connects right to the airport there, I hopped on and found 4 quick caches around a nearby station. Got back well in time for my connecting flight. Great way to start a weekend of caching.

On my way to Geowoodstock (the year it was in Bell Buckle), I had a connection through Minneapolis with a 3 hour layover. Since the LRT/subway system connects right to the airport there, I hopped on and found 4 quick caches around a nearby station. Got back well in time for my connecting flight. Great way to start a weekend of caching.

I mentioned using light rail/subway systems that connect to airports earlier in this thread. I think it's probably one of the best ways to try and pick up a cache or two during a layover. 3 hours is about the minimum amount of layover time I'd consider for a domestic flight. I've used a LRT/Subway to find caches in Narita (Japan), Paris (France), Istanbul (Turkey), and Copenhagen (Denmark), but I had at least a 6 hours layover for each of those. I also used a light rail/subway to get to/from the city and the airport in Zurich (Switzerland) and Brussels (Belgium) but in both of those cases I had about a 20-22 hour overnight layover and stayed overnight in a hotel.

I was a transport Canada security supervisor (I carried a Gun) and no type of activity like this would be allowed in a International airport due to security regulations (in Canada) of course it does not stop people from trying, We had an issue with Munzee's to.

Not always true - we have a local cache here, with full permission and cooperation of management and security, that is on civilian international airport property that is also on a military airbase.

The problem and solution as mentioned by RaNa2009 above is getting to the right people and approaching them in the right manner.