Sign in to follow this  
Followers 51
avroair

What Irks you most?

This thread is for posting summaries of "irks," and for brief reactions to those irks by fellow community members.  The place to hash out interpersonal disputes and communication issues is in private messages.

The thread has run for seven years.  Rather than closing it, I will hand out traffic tickets to individuals who don't follow the rules of the road.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Keystone said:

I will hand out traffic tickets to individuals who don't follow the rules of the road.

I got a traffic ticket once: "Failure to come to a complete three second stop at a 4-way stop". Rookie rural county cop. Bit of a jerk.

• Surprised 2

17 minutes ago, igator210 said:

I got a traffic ticket once: "Failure to come to a complete three second stop at a 4-way stop". Rookie rural county cop. Bit of a jerk.

3 seconds?  I really didnt know that.  Full stop yes, but not 3 seconds.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, igator210 said:

I got a traffic ticket once:

I got a traffic ticket once too. I was in the left lane near an intersection, pulling into a left-turn-only lane. Traffic waiting for the signal was backed up, and the last car partially blocked the entrance to the left-turn-only lane. I went around the last car, and my left wheels crossed the centerline. I got a ticket for driving in the wrong direction. Technically, part of my vehicle was on the other side of the centerline, traveling the wrong direction. :angry:

That irked me, but I tried not to let in show to the officer who pulled me over.

9 hours ago, igator210 said:

I'll bet that irked you.:lol:

On 9/16/2020 at 8:25 AM, Keystone said:

This thread is for posting summaries of "irks," and for brief reactions to those irks by fellow community members.  The place to hash out interpersonal disputes and communication issues is in private messages.

The thread has run for seven years.  Rather than closing it, I will hand out traffic tickets to individuals who don't follow the rules of the road.

I agree. Getting back on topic. A recent irk my husband and I  experienced recently. We check up on our caches after several finds. Not to check the log signatures to compare them to the online logs (never ever do we do this)  but to make sure the cache was placed in its original spot and to refill swag. One cache was left in the open, exposed. Some things were scattered about. This was a premium member too. But he/she was a newbie. Do we message them or let it go. We decided to let it go. Who knows, if they do not like being reprimanded, what they will do to other caches. 

• Surprised 2

1 hour ago, HunterandSamuel said:

I agree. Getting back on topic. A recent irk my husband and I  experienced recently. We check up on our caches after several finds. Not to check the log signatures to compare them to the online logs (never ever do we do this)  but to make sure the cache was placed in its original spot and to refill swag. One cache was left in the open, exposed. Some things were scattered about. This was a premium member too. But he/she was a newbie. Do we message them or let it go. We decided to let it go. Who knows, if they do not like being reprimanded, what they will do to other caches. 

I had that happen once, where a newbie had left several of my caches sitting out in the open, like this one that's meant to be hidden in the cave behind the rock:

NotRehidden.jpg.948a8a186c361b1103d4be03e97f98f4.jpg

I agonised over whether to say anything but thought if nobody says anything he'll never learn any different so eventually I sent him this message:

G'day. Just did a routine check on XXXXXX and found the container sitting out in the open, instead of behind the rock in the little side cave. As you were the last to find it and are fairly new to the game, without pointing any fingers (perhaps that's how you found it) I thought it best just to give you a friendly heads-up on the etiquette of rehiding the cache exactly as you found it. Even bush caches in remote locations are visited surprisingly often by curious (and sometimes destructive) muggles, so it's important that the container is out of sight and/or hidden to blend in with the environment. Something I always try to do is to take a quick photo of the hiding place as soon as I've spotted it, and before I've moved anything, so I'll know how to put it back afterwards. Happy caching!

He took it in the spirit I'd intended and thanked me for the advice, and we since went on to become good friends. The important thing is to make it come across as friendly advice rather than a reprimand.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

5 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

How do you know it was the newbie? Did they say in their log that they left it "scattered about"? More likely muggled. Did the newbie find any others of yours? Were they left in the same condition?

Let it go.

• Upvote 2

Anyone dislike updated hints and coordinates in OM logs due to series of DNFs and NM logs. Put them in main page please.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, MNTA said:

Anyone dislike updated hints and coordinates in OM logs due to series of DNFs and NM logs. Put them in main page please.

Hopefully people will be told that the coordinates need updating properly, otherwise people still won't be able to find it. Then if they are not updated, eventually someone should do a NM, followed by a NA.

But true, the CO should have updated those coordinates correctly. Possibly they don't know how to do this, so a good first move is friendly instructions to them how to correct the coordinates. If they are ignored, then the NM.

Actually, thinking further on this, what irks me is when people don't log a NM (after contacting the CO, if they are a beginner, with the offer of help).

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1

Recently ran across a new cache whose physical location was 385' from posted coordinates.  Posted coordinates were between two houses unrelated to the CO or the cache, and the "In private yard (with permission)" attribute was set!  Bad combination, so I reflected my concern about that in my found log.  You can bet those folks up the street have been / will be seeing some unwanted visitors.  I was about the 5th finder to mention the coordinate problem.

Not long after, I received a Message Center message from the CO.  Turns out the CO didn't get his cache approved at the original coordinates due to 528' spacing requirements, saying that his GPS said the placement was OK and the reviewer must be wrong, and was told by the CO "... therefore the coordinates will have to remain as is. People will just have to use geosense.So used coordinates up the block, and then he went ahead and placed it where he could not originally have it approved. 

Took a look at the thing on Google Earth, saw the issue, and I advised again that there was a coordinate problem, and what and where the interfering traditional cache was located,

Wouldn't work with me on it at all on rechecking his measurements, and he concluded the conversation with "I have already stated what happened. Thanks for your messages.", so I handed it over to the reviewer to deal with.

Edited by ecanderson
paragraph breaks hosed
  • Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1

22 hours ago, ecanderson said:

Recently ran across a new cache whose physical location was 385' from posted coordinates.  Posted coordinates were between two houses unrelated to the CO or the cache, and the "In private yard (with permission)" attribute was set!  Bad combination, so I reflected my concern about that in my found log.  You can bet those folks up the street have been / will be seeing some unwanted visitors.

Not long after, I received a Message Center message from the CO.  Turns out the CO didn't get his cache approved due to 528' spacing requirements, saying that his GPS said the placement was OK and the reviewer must be wrong, and was told by the CO "... therefore the coordinates will have to remain as is. People will just have to use geosense.So he placed it where he could not originally have it approved. 

Took a look at the thing on Google Earth, saw the issue, and I advised again that there was a coordinate problem, and what and where the interfering traditional cache was located,

Wouldn't work with me on it at all on rechecking his measurements, and he concluded the conversation with "I have already stated what happened. Thanks for your messages.", so I handed it over to the reviewer to deal with.

I had a similar thing. Two or three times I tried to find this cache on several visits away to another city. I made the following log and included a Google map picture to show where the coordinates were.

"These are where the coordinates are; and where I searched. Are they correct? Google map image attached."

The CO replied: "Please note that the geocaching web site indicates that the cache is located no where near the tank. Goldenwattle appears to have the wrong information.

See the attached screen shot of the geocaching website."  The CO included a picture of their cache page with the coordinates underlined, indicating that only they could see the changed coordinates. That put the cache 154 metres from published coordinates.

Then someone else came in and showed the same coordinates I was seeing.

I went to messaging and explained carefully (and politely) how the CO was the only one who could see those changed coordinates. They keep writing messages like, "Our listed coordinates are correct." I tried several times to explain how to correct the coordinates, but this person kept coming across as one of the 'thickest' people I had ever dealt with.

Then I found out about a coordinate conflict with an existing cache. Also I looked back through the logs and found that the CO had changed the coordinates properly in the past, so they knew very well how to change them and so knew that only they could see the underlined coordinates. It was all a con, because they wanted that spot but weren't allowed. They deleted some of my logs and some of those of other people who had also made commenting logs. Then the CO got abusive, so I logged a NA.

Needs ArchivedNeeds Archived

Sad it has come to this. Cache is 154 metres from published coordinates. Now I discover the reason the CO has not updated the coordinates, despite their protestations. It is because it would break the 161 metre rule; at only about 104 metres from another cache, GC7E95X.

I will leave this up to the reviewer to deduce the truth here.

Published coordinates: S 33° 45.530 E 150° 55.400
Actual coordinates of cache as stated by CO: S 33° 45.612 E 150° 55.421
Coordinates of conflicting cache GC7E95X: S 33° 45.630 E 150° 55.485

The CO is deleting logs that depute their claims. I expect this and another log, at least, to be deleted, but fortunately this will still get to the reviewer first.

The reviewer came in and disabled the cache.

CO, "Reviewer. We will leave it up to you to please provide a web address that shows this. As explained on numerous occasions every search we do leads us to the new location."

The CO re-enabled it, annoying the reviewer. (Please be aware, I am not here to play games.) The CO argued with the reviewer too in a similar way that they had with me via messaging. "Reviewer. Can you please provide us with a link to the web address that shows the coordinates at the water tank (the old location). Every device, web page or app we use (even after clearing the web cache memory) takes us to the geocaching.com web site with the changed coordinates. ? "

"Reviewer. We will leave it up to you to please provide a web address that shows this. As explained on numerous occasions every search we do leads us to the new location."

The CO archived the cache before the reviewer could.

(Someone messaged me and said they thought the CO was mad and invited me to join him and friends to find the cache before it was archived. Nice of them, but I had to decline, as by then I was home.)

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Helpful 1

19 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Someone messaged me and said they thought the CO was mad

image.png.f65e4bd61607964661d283146c55e490.png

Mad CO syndrome, there seems to be a lot of it about these days.

2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Mad CO syndrome, there seems to be a lot of it about these days.

We have more of 'Slack CO syndrome' up here..... 

3 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

and invited me to join him and friends to find the cache before it was achieved.

(I'm assuming you meant archived)- you could put money on it that the cache is still where it was hidden, even if archived.....

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, lee737 said:

(I'm assuming you meant archived)- you could put money on it that the cache is still where it was hidden, even if archived.....

Thanks; now corrected. Yes it's likely still there, but the reviewer locked the cache page, so even if found, it can't be logged.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Today I cycled past one of my geocaches, so while there stopped to check the log. On-line there have been nine logs since April, but I found three signatures missing. That means, one in three couldn't be bothered to sign the paper log. It irks me that I have to send them messages with a photograph of the log, asking them to please point out their signature, as maybe I missed seeing it. I do that now, since once I did miss recognising a scribble as a signature. Two have replied. Cacher 1 asked where the cache was (I had given them cache name and GC number) and cacher 2, (I have to admire them for at least not making excuses) admitted they didn't sign the log. ("Hi Goldenwattle. We didn't sign the log. We only left a digital signature. Thanks for placing the cache.") Cacher 3 hasn't replied yet. To the two who replied, I sent follow up messages. Now I wait to see if any can supply proof of find, such as a photograph or description.

Suddenly there's the ding of a message, while writing this.

Cacher 1 asked what they can do. I had said in my previous log to them, give me a good description of the log and cache, so I repeated the exact same words back to them. The cache has a different attachment, so they should remember, if they found it. It can be tricky to find.

Waiting :rolleyes:;) ...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1