Sign in to follow this  
Followers 51
avroair

What Irks you most?

2 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

This older cacher needed to Goggle it. It's not a person :o

If I remember my history of the agricultural revolution, didn’t he invent the seed drill?

7 minutes ago, colleda said:

I'm guessing that cryptic hints can irk some.;)

There's a cache I did recently where the hint is "Bonnie Tyler". It wasn't until I finally found it on my second attempt that it clicked, which brings me to another irk which is hints that only make sense after you've found the cache.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

which brings me to another irk which is hints that only make sense after you've found the cache.

Unfortunately, had a few of them. Non-hints!

2 hours ago, colleda said:

One of my other hints is "xxxxx as a xxxxx - Jethro Tull". Cachers of a certain (my) vintage get that one but more youthful seekers usually Google it. A bison tube in a house brick (listed as a micro).

Well, I'm 50+ and I had to google it, too. The name Jethro Tull wasn't unknown to me, but except from "Locomotive Breath" and "Aqualung"; I couldn't have named a song.

The hint "Red Hot Chili Peppers" is rather popular here (I must have seen it a dozen times) for caches placed under a bridge. I guess most cachers had to google it the first time.

4 hours ago, baer2006 said:

Well, I'm 50+ and I had to google it, too. The name Jethro Tull wasn't unknown to me, but except from "Locomotive Breath" and "Aqualung"; I couldn't have named a song.

The name Jethro rings a bell, from the duo Homer and Jethro. But I get the impression that they're not at all like Jethro Tull.

15 hours ago, baer2006 said:

The hint "Red Hot Chili Peppers" is rather popular here (I must have seen it a dozen times) for caches placed under a bridge. I guess most cachers had to google it the first time.

I'm, uh, 50+ too.  I saw Jethro Tull live once.   It was one of the best concerts I ever attended.  

If the hint was Jethro Tull, I would first look on a park bench nearby.  "...sitting on a park bench..."

Edited by Wacka

17 minutes ago, Wacka said:

If the hint was Jethro Tull, I would first look on a park bench nearby.  "...sitting on a parl bench..."

Yuck.

I’m in my thirties and have seen Jethro Tull thrice, though admittedly always with my dad. Still, that hint would have been obvious :)

I was taught Edward —> Ned comes from an older form of addressing people, e.g. Mine Edward.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mustakorppi said:

I was taught Edward —> Ned comes from an older form of addressing people, e.g. Mine Edward.

Ned can be short for Edgar as well - Ned Willsher, for example - as well as similar other names - Edgar, Edmund etc...

1 hour ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Ned can be short for Edgar as well - Ned Willsher, for example - as well as similar other names - Edgar, Edmund etc...

"Waking Ned Devine" is a great movie.

Ancient Ned buys an Irish Sweepstakes lottery ticket, then he dies, then he wins.

What should his friends do about it? Can't let it go to waste!

6 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I'm, uh, 50+ too.  I saw Jethro Tull live once.   It was one of the best concerts I ever attended.  

Yep, it takes talent to play a flute while standing on one leg.;):D

The first time I heard of Jethro Tull was on watching Armageddon. So I was informed right from the start that Jethro Tull's not a person. :laughing:

5 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

"Waking Ned Devine" is a great movie.

Ancient Ned buys an Irish Sweepstakes lottery ticket, then he dies, then he wins.

What should his friends do about it? Can't let it go to waste!

Yes, a great movie.

18 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I'm 60+ and have never heard of Jethro Tull - until this thread...

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

On 11/13/2020 at 6:48 AM, ecanderson said:

b) improperly used expression: ground zero is where the cache is, not the posted coordinates.  In its original context, it's where it went boom, not where you tried to aim it.

I think it IS used properly.  GZ is NOT the cache co-ords - that's the target location.  My GZ is where my GPSr says 0 feet - "where my shot went boom" - which may or may not be on/at the target location.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Finders logging a Found It in the field with the words "Full log to follow" or similar then never following through. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Clongo_Rongo said:

lol - the reviewer forgot the date to send out 0  - we are still in lockdown -  128516984_10226077937723520_4240282924100908312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=cdL551RkS4MAX_ZPxql&_nc_oc=AQmBadbS_MfzC5TmGz_a9etfJM2EBU_VIYI7PNDKzTSESBuhSKca8X-X2TyCd7_BY3VK0rudDQJwDpAv4pMx0_y1&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=9fb78a86682517e034964fbd5aa01daf&oe=5FE6B701 

I still can't understand how not publishing new caches is helping in any way to fight the virus. It's only annoying. Other caches are still available so I can't see any difference between an older one and any new one. Sadly some people hunting for monthly FTF's are going to lose their streak.

• Helpful 2

1 minute ago, Clongo_Rongo said:

lol - the reviewer forgot the date to send out 0  - we are still in lockdown -  128516984_10226077937723520_4240282924100908312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=cdL551RkS4MAX_ZPxql&_nc_oc=AQmBadbS_MfzC5TmGz_a9etfJM2EBU_VIYI7PNDKzTSESBuhSKca8X-X2TyCd7_BY3VK0rudDQJwDpAv4pMx0_y1&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=9fb78a86682517e034964fbd5aa01daf&oe=5FE6B701 

Template that needs updating perhaps?  If this is your cache, I’d presume you still need to take the advice on maintenance.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sernikk said:

I still can't understand how not publishing new caches is helping in any way to fight the virus. [...]  Sadly some people hunting for monthly FTF's are going to lose their streak.

I believe the reason given in the UK is that new caches encourage unnecessary journeys and are more likely to result in gatherings of cachers - which are both counter to current guidelines.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, sernikk said:

I still can't understand how not publishing new caches is helping in any way to fight the virus. It's only annoying. Other caches are still available so I can't see any difference between an older one and any new one. Sadly some people hunting for monthly FTF's are going to lose their streak.

The reason given by the reviewers here when we were in lockdown during April and May was that new caches are much more likely to see several cachers arrive at GZ at the same time. Such FTF mini-events are a fairly common occurrence here on new urban caches and likely more so in larger cities. It even happens on more remote ones, like GC8W6W9, published last July, that went unfound for five days then saw three of us arrive at the same time.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sernikk said:

I still can't understand how not publishing new caches is helping in any way to fight the virus. It's only annoying.

Other caches are still available so I can't see any difference between an older one and any new one.

Sadly some people hunting for monthly FTF's are going to lose their streak.

You answered your own query.  :D   FTFs and the mini events that follow...

Our Reviewers have been publishing caches shortly after our first "lockdown", but they were sure to keep free of towns or industrial areas (in woods mostly), so people are kept at a minimum.

- Something we've known for years now ... if it's more than a quarter mile from parking, or any terrain over 2, visitors are sparse.    

A couple days ago, a 3T woods cache that I could see my truck from has been out since August, and I'm only the fifth finder...   :)

5 hours ago, Clongo_Rongo said:

lol - the reviewer forgot the date to send out 0  - we are still in lockdown -   

I've seen this in my area, COs who won't check and enable their caches after a reviewer canned message like the one posted. Claiming COVID lockdown as the issue, but regularly go out to find geocaches during lockdown. 

• Surprised 1

25 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

I've seen this in my area, COs who won't check and enable their caches after a reviewer canned message like the one posted. Claiming COVID lockdown as the issue, but regularly go out to find geocaches during lockdown. 

Different places have different restrictions and COs different circumstances, but in the April-May lockdown here we were required to stay within our local community which for me was the Woy Woy Peninsula. Of the active caches I owned then, only 12 were within that area and I did go and visit some of them as part of our permitted exercise, but with no unfound caches close by it became a 61 day finding slump for me. With the exception of the four I disabled that were in areas closed off, the rest I left available for others in their own local areas to find but, had any issues arisen, I'd have just had to disable them and wait it out.

I could easily imagine someone in different circumstances with plenty of findable caches within their permitted exercise area but all their own hides outside it.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

20 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

Template that needs updating perhaps?  If this is your cache, I’d presume you still need to take the advice on maintenance.

not my cache - lol