collecting countries

Posted (edited)

I also have 3 countries visited since caching where I didn't search

Hong Kong - we were never there long enough, always just passing through

Brunei - our day trip was too regulated and we never got within several Km of a cache

Bosnia and Herzegovina - we passed through it twice since it cuts Croatia into two halves, but there was no cache near the customs posts

Edited by Gill & Tony
31 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

I also have 3 countries visited since caching where I didn't search

Hong Kong - we were never there long enough, always just passing through

Brunei - our day trip was too regulated and we never got within several Km of a cache

Bosnia and Herzegovina - we passed through it twice since it cuts Croatia into two halves, but there was no cache near the customs posts

Oh, China! I totally forgot that one as well. Oh well... maybe one day.

1 hour ago, terratin said:

Oh, China! I totally forgot that one as well. Oh well... maybe one day.

We made it to Shanghai in 2019, our last overseas trip before the world shut down.  We also made South Korea and Macau on that trip, but no Macau souvenir yet

2 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

We made it to Shanghai in 2019, our last overseas trip before the world shut down.

My last country before the shut down was Papua New Guinea. One cache. I was on a cruise which arrived back in Sydney on 2nd March.

12 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

My last country before the shut down was Papua New Guinea. One cache. I was on a cruise which arrived back in Sydney on 2nd March.

We were supposed to do a 28-day round Australia cruise out of Sydney.  We got as far as Melbourne then about 4am, on the way to Burnie, we were woken up to the news that the trip was being cancelled.  We did Burnie and Hobart and then spent 4 days getting back to Sydney as there was no berth for the ship before that.  We disembarked, with no special precautions, the day before Ruby Princess returned!

I still don't have SA or WA souvenirs :mad:

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

I still don't have SA or WA souvenirs :mad:

In my eight and a bit years of caching, I still only have NSW, Queensland from a short winter-escape holiday in 2019, and New Zealand from when I attended a wedding there in 2014. At the beginning of last year I was putting together plans for a driving holiday through Victoria to tour the Great Ocean Road, but not much chance of that happening for a while yet. I suppose I should at least make the effort to visit the ACT sometime and sample some Goldenwattle caches :).

Edited by barefootjeff
36 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I should at least make the effort to visit the ACT sometime and sample some Goldenwattle caches :).

These are the favourite caches of mine:

Narrabundah Small Library HOTELGC847R1

Do take lots of trackables back with you to release elsewhere; even ALL of them. I don't mind, as it makes room for new ones. Just log them all, as I'm sure you would :).

Red Hill GC4CB12 extra hint, "X marks the spot"

Guarded GC7AWYW You will see a certain theme between the last two.

21 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

These are the favourite caches of mine:

Narrabundah Small Library HOTELGC847R1

Do take lots of trackables back with you to release elsewhere; even ALL of them. I don't mind, as it makes room for new ones. Just log them all, as I'm sure you would :).

Red Hill GC4CB12 extra hint, "X marks the spot"

Guarded GC7AWYW You will see a certain theme between the last two.

Thanks, will do, though I'll probably wait until the weather's a bit warmer.

11 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Thanks, will do, though I'll probably wait until the weather's a bit warmer.

:lol: Why, it's 8 degrees; that's warmer than was forecast, and it hasn't snowed yet.

I couldn't resist, and booked a small trip (4 nights) to Sweden and Åland for the end of July. Hope to complete my Jasmer with GC4D.

Now if only they would hurry up with the vaccination passports 'n' stuff...

19 hours ago, Vooruit! said:

I couldn't resist, and booked a small trip (4 nights) to Sweden and Åland for the end of July. Hope to complete my Jasmer with GC4D.

Now if only they would hurry up with the vaccination passports 'n' stuff...

Know what you mean. Some certain not quite so young minister is really making a mess of things, starting by not providing a proof of vaccination. My vaccinations are registered in the yellow book, and my travel plans so far this year accept it.

Iceland, from this evening! At least if my proof of vaccination gets accepted (yellow book, it should). Thanks government for making a massive mess out of things.

Plan is to stay in Grindavik for three nights, wait for end of quarantine sometime the next day and hopefully visit the active volcano along one of the hiking paths. Next day explore area and a second volcano visit on the second path (https://safetravel.is/eruption-in-reykjanes), part of golden circle and from then on hotel in Reykjavik, Thingvellir NP and whatever's left, Reykjavik and home. Lets see how this goes. Focus of course will be on EarthCaches.

• Upvote 1

A new souvenir: Cuba.

It's a work trip, but I've found three so far. I'm having to make an exception to my rule against community maintenance, as without it, there'd be no caches here. Or at least, only messes. Replaced one log, replaced a second cache entirely, and CITO'd out a third cache that had been archived years back but was still sitting, lidless, in the same pillbox since its last find four years ago.

• Upvote 2
Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2021 at 9:18 AM, hzoi said:

I was just talking about Diego Garcia at work this morning. I'd love to visit there and snag some caches.

Really?  All 4 of them?

Just curious.  How did you plan to get there?  East Coast Rotator?  You won't be flying United Polaris class on Patriot Express, that's for sure.

Have some equipment there for which I am responsible.  REALLY don't look forward to that trip.

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/104594/ground-based-electro-optical-deep-space-surveillance/

Edited by ecanderson

I just returned from a fantastic trip to Iceland, involving active volcano watching, glorious sunshine and fantastic landscapes, and dense, superwet fog. Fab caching overall. I can't upload photos because this *kitten* system doesn't tell me how small the images have to be, or whatever else is wrong other than throwing a -200 error at me. thus here a link: https://imgur.com/a/oLuDHjS

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, terratin said:

I just returned from a fantastic trip to Iceland, involving active volcano watching, glorious sunshine and fantastic landscapes, and dense, superwet fog. Fab caching overall. I can't upload photos because this *kitten* system doesn't tell me how small the images have to be, or whatever else is wrong other than throwing a -200 error at me. thus here a link: https://imgur.com/a/oLuDHjS

Which waterfall is that in the first picture?  We missed that one on our trip a few years back, and I'd like to 'catch' it on our next trip.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, The Jester said:

Which waterfall is that in the first picture?  We missed that one on our trip a few years back, and I'd like to 'catch' it on our next trip.  Thanks.

It's one of the super touristy things, on Snaefellsness, at Kirkjufell. I was lucky that the weather was so bad that nobody else was there. Otherwise there might have been masses of people.

29 minutes ago, terratin said:

It's one of the super touristy things, on Snaefellsness, at Kirkjufell. I was lucky that the weather was so bad that nobody else was there. Otherwise there might have been masses of people.

Thanks.  I'll add it to our list.

No more Montenegro this year. It just got too complicated. At least I could cancel everything at no costs. I've just booked a last minute package deal to western mainland Greece though. Covid infections look low and there's ample opportunity for hiking without getting too close to other people. No new country though. Oh well...

With a lot of luck and a covid test tonight I might be able to add Albania to my map tomorrow, coming from Greece. Tours to Albania are currently not going but I found an Albanian guide with car that will pick me up at the border. Borders are open, paperwork done. I asked guide for a test and will provide the same despite being vaccinated.

On 7/4/2021 at 4:09 PM, ecanderson said:
On 6/4/2021 at 11:18 AM, hzoi said:

I was just talking about Diego Garcia at work this morning. I'd love to visit there and snag some caches.

Really?  All 4 of them?

I remember there being more the last time I checked. But apparently there were only a total of six published.

I met a cacher in Germany who went through on a C-5. Because the Galaxy kept breaking down, she got some caching layovers in places like BIOT.

Like Kwajalien, I wouldn't mind visiting. But not staying. I'll get enough time hanging out in cache-poor areas during my trips to Guantanamo.