Sign in to follow this  
Followers 11
terratin

collecting countries

On 3/19/2020 at 4:17 AM, Viajero Perdido said:

Definitely, Insadong is very central for exploring; it's "temple & palace central".  Narrow streets, lots of walkers, and I'm not sure, but it seems walkers have right of way over the few vehicles.  I've stayed at Bibimbap Guesthouse (ondol style, futon + heated floors), also Top Hotel & Residence (standard but compact hotel room), both recommendable and right in the heart of it.  But there are tons of choices.

Bukhansan, yes, a wonderful hike with many caches, and cat, yes cats, on the summit.  Transportation might be tricky; it was lucky for me:

I'm excited for you.  Already I'm aching to go back a third time.

Agreed, Insadong has a great cache too with all the touristy stuff anyone would want. Most of the area is off limits to cars, not sure why anyone would want to drive through there anyway. 

I know you hiked Gwanaksan too, did you see the cats there? Actually, cats are on most mountains in Korea. I always found that interesting too. 

Next time you come back let one of the locals know and we can try showing you some more remote mountains or regions in the country. 

2 hours ago, Crazedllama said:

Seoul has great caching. Hopefully things with the virus clear up and borders start opening up again. Before you come, if you want to send me a message I can give you recommendations on some of the best caches in the area. 

Namsan in the center of the city and following the path of the three virtuals is what most tourists do. I've set up the first Adventure Lab in the city in a nice historic district too. There's so much in Seoul to enjoy. Seven years in and I'm still finding new and amazing places.  

thanks a lot :wub: s. Korea seems to be on the right path at the moment, but Europe is nowhere near that. 

@on4bam I don’t understand that the Dutch authorities have such issues restricting movement like other countries. Yes, it’s not good for the economy, but it even took a while until they said that keeping a distance is good.

1 hour ago, terratin said:

@on4bam I don’t understand that the Dutch authorities have such issues restricting movement like other countries. Yes, it’s not good for the economy, but it even took a while until they said that keeping a distance is good.

They made a choice. I think it's a bad one considering how "we" (humans) behave. When Belgium closed café's and restaurants many went partying the same evening until midnight in "lockdown parties" the day after they went across the border to Holland to go shopping, drinking, eating.

The Dutch and UK think that "herd immunity" will work but looking at the rates infected/dead and amount of infected that doesn't seem like a good idea. It looks like "flatten the curve" will work in keeping healthcare within it's limits. So far Italy and Spain are showing us what can happen and what we should avoid.

Even those planning travel to Belgium for Rock Werchter, Tomorrowland and other large festivals during the summer months should keep a close eye on the festival's website......

On a different note, we now see the advantage of (almost) never caching close to home, lots to find on foot  and by bike as "non essential" travel is forbidden but walking/biking and other "exercise" is encouraged.

• Helpful 1

12 minutes ago, on4bam said:

On a different note, we now see the advantage of (almost) never caching close to home, lots to find on foot  and by bike as "non essential" travel is forbidden but walking/biking and other "exercise" is encouraged.

I have been checking out that myself locally. I have found most near me, but if I limited myself to a walk or cycle to one a day, I might be able to manage a cache a day for a couple of weeks. And get exercise.

22 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I have been checking out that myself locally. I have found most near me, but if I limited myself to a walk or cycle to one a day, I might be able to manage a cache a day for a couple of weeks. And get exercise.

That's what you get living where you are :lol:

This is a 5Km radius (almost) centered om my location. On Wednesday we biked to the area on the right edge (40Km tour) and last Sunday we walked the area just outside the circle along the river (16Km).

radius.thumb.jpg.9de09296cbbc83f3a158ea764f306ff4.jpg

1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

I’ve not cached much in my immediate area, and there’s a fair bit of varied (for Dutch) nature around, 2km max get cycling out of town. That’s not too bad if I get desperate.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, on4bam said:

That's what you get living where you are :lol:

This is a 5Km radius (almost) centered om my location. On Wednesday we biked to the area on the right edge (40Km tour) and last Sunday we walked the area just outside the circle along the river (16Km).

Here is a 5km one where I live. As can be seen I have been busy, but there are still a few caches to find. Mind you, there a horrible hill to get over to go south.

5 kms from home.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle

41 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Here is a 5km one where I live. As can be seen I have been busy, but there are still a few caches to find. Mind you, there a horrible hill to get over to go south.

This is my 5km circle, excluding my own caches.

image.png.c0eaf9b3f088611eab4211563f3ba27b.png

There used to be a lot more in the built-up areas but one by one they disappeared. Some good memories from my early days of caching.

Well... this is just inside of town. Lots to do 🤣

i just came back from a 20km hilly forest hike with a 21 stage multi and 4 other caches. Might have been a new community as well.

011D6B41-A1B7-4709-A3A5-F9C08840754C.png

I was watching Al Jazeera news this morning and they were reporting that Qatar has closed its borders. I was due to fly (in two weeks) to Azerbaijan via Doha, Qatar, on a Qatar Airways flight. The planets definitely weren't lining up.

22 hours ago, Crazedllama said:

I know you hiked Gwanaksan too, did you see the cats there? Actually, cats are on most mountains in Korea. I always found that interesting too. 

Yes, on various mountains including Gwanaksan.  (Hard to believe I've been up that one three times!)  I followed one cat into its bunker (as I'm sure you know, Korean mountains have pillboxes in good repair) and found a dish each of water and cat food.  Ah good, I figured people were looking after them.

c5c91626-b9dc-4482-bb16-4e02a04e97ab_l.j

22 hours ago, Crazedllama said:

Next time you come back let one of the locals know and we can try showing you some more remote mountains or regions in the country. 

Thank you!  Invitation tucked away somewhere safe.  Hmm, I wonder if it'll be safe to travel, say November?  Great month to be in Korea.  Already I have some geo-friends interested in joining me, whenever it might happen.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Yes, on various mountains including Gwanaksan.  (Hard to believe I've been up that one three times!)  I followed one cat into its bunker (as I'm sure you know, Korean mountains have pillboxes in good repair) and found a dish each of water and cat food.  Ah good, I figured people were looking after them.

c5c91626-b9dc-4482-bb16-4e02a04e97ab_l.j

Thank you!  Invitation tucked away somewhere safe.  Hmm, I wonder if it'll be safe to travel, say November?  Great month to be in Korea.  Already I have some geo-friends interested in joining me, whenever it might happen.

My trip is also booked for end of October/ early November. I can fortunately change or cancel the flight if needed. Lets see what happens until then, right?

• Upvote 1

I have one small trip coming up this week, to Helgoland in Germany. Not a new country, but at least a new federal country and up to three new counties. And up to 11 EarthCaches and the chance to see some lovely red sandstone.

• Upvote 1

Nice! One of the advantages of living in Europe.

Here in Australia it's a bit harder to get to other countries since there aren't any you can just drive to. It's pretty much flights to get anywhere, or get on a cruise. Unless you buy your own boat, but I don't think I can justify spending that kind of money for Geocaching.

Or maybe... :D 

• Funny 2

43 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

Here in Australia it's a bit harder to get to other countries since there aren't any you can just drive to. It's pretty much flights to get anywhere, or get on a cruise. Unless you buy your own boat, but I don't think I can justify spending that kind of money for Geocaching.

I totally get you! I'd not want to live in a huge country where you have to fly to get anywhere. I looked at this from various angles, and figured I can do this trip despite covid. I'd not want to get on a plane at the moment though.

One on the perks of living in Europe. Although we're restricted in where we can go and we are also not willing to fly (yet) . After canceling our two new countries and a long weekend we can finally get away a bit further this weekend. Nothing new, although we might get a few new towns in the Netherlands. The last two weeks I've been busy to combine several +50Km multis with given WPs into bike tours we can do from our hotel. We'll have to keep our heads together though as we'll have to take notes on all QTA's and keep the info with the right multi.

Hopefully we will be able to do the two little series, one with traditionals + bonus, the other solved mysteries + bonus as all these caches have high FP (as well as he multi's).

The sun will be out and we should get a nice 20-22°.... looking forward to it....

Wow, 50km multies sounds fab! Which ones are they? I want to start working on the four Stelling van Amsterdam multies, on bike most likely. Just need to plan a bit on how to get to a starting point by train and back to a random station at an arbitrary end point. (e.g. gc8nB1R)

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, terratin said:

Wow, 50km multies sounds fab! Which ones are they? I want to start working on the four Stelling van Amsterdam multies, on bike most likely. Just need to plan a bit on how to get to a starting point by train and back to a random station at an arbitrary end point. (e.g. gc8nB1R)

They are all in/near Ermelo.

https://coord.info/GC7YY4E   44 Km

https://coord.info/GC543DN  24Km

https://coord.info/GC35274  52Km

https://coord.info/GC3526M  59Km

https://coord.info/GC35290  52Km

https://coord.info/GC3528T  65Km

https://coord.info/GC38YKJ  60Km

https://coord.info/GC38YKP  50Km

https://coord.info/GC3526A  55Km

And for something more:

https://coord.info/GC6RBN6  100Km B)

I put these caches in Basecamp and created routes from our hotel (the 100Km one starts a few 100m away) as efficient as possible and we can always cut the tours short if we should get in trouble timewise. I guess we'll start around 9/9:30 except the first day when we have a 2.5 hour drive to get there. I also got a roadmap listing the WPs and distance between them.

We have made notes (and WPs) on where we can take breaks (mandatory icecream or pancake in the afternoon :D ) and we'll have to see if we have to make reservations for diner (corona rule) or if, weather permitting we can eat outside (no reservation needed)

BTW, there are 4 Letterboxes in Eindhoven that can be done in one go. Combined they are 70Km. We can do them on a one day trip and we had them planned last year but one was offline for a while.

Edited by on4bam

28 minutes ago, terratin said:

Nice! I'll bookmark them after work today.

There's more. Here's my bikecachelist (is that a word?)

16 hours ago, Unit473L said:

Things are not going to improve anytime soon. International flights are banned except for essential business. All incoming passengers are subject to two weeks quarantine, therefore no tourists in or out. Even QANTAS (our supposed "National Carrier") has ceased international flying. All cruise ships are banned indefinitely and have been sent back to their home ports. I was hoping to pick up a few new countries in April until the brown stuff hit the fan and countries got serious and started shutting down. We have closed several state borders so I can't even fly from my side of the country to the other, which I had planned to do. I was hoping to do another trip to New Zealand later this year but that's on hold unless a flight bubble happens which doesn't look like happening as a state to the south has had a COVID19 spike which has spread to my state and the Kiwis wont want any part of that. It looks like I'm grounded and captive in my own state for some time yet. With a COVID19 strike rate of 4 deaths/million population its best that I stay where I am.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, colleda said:

Things are not going to improve anytime soon. International flights are banned except for essential business. All incoming passengers are subject to two weeks quarantine, therefore no tourists in or out. Even QANTAS (our supposed "National Carrier") has ceased international flying. All cruise ships are banned indefinitely and have been sent back to their home ports. I was hoping to pick up a few new countries in April until the brown stuff hit the fan and countries got serious and started shutting down. We have closed several state borders so I can't even fly from my side of the country to the other, which I had planned to do. I was hoping to do another trip to New Zealand later this year but that's on hold unless a flight bubble happens which doesn't look like happening as a state to the south has had a COVID19 spike which has spread to my state and the Kiwis wont want any part of that. It looks like I'm grounded and captive in my own state for some time yet. With a COVID19 strike rate of 4 deaths/million population its best that I stay where I am.

I got in a couple of cruises just before the virus arrived in Australia. I got PNG as a new country. (I am wondering if that will be my last new country, at least for several years.) My last cruise arrived back on 2nd March. Fortunately we were virus free, but ships after that date often weren't.

I was expecting to be in the Gold Coast for an event in April and then drive north to the Gulf after that. All that was cancelled when I was stuck at home.

We should have gone for eradication, as NZ did. Go hard early. Even so, we managed to eradicate it from every state and territory except Victoria and NSW. Very poor management in Victoria of the quarantine hotels led to the present surge in cases. I live in the ACT and we managed to eradicate it even without having stay at home orders. It was only a strong suggestion, but most people did stay at home. They did the right thing. Maybe that's because the ACT has the highest education level in Australia. Success or not is often sadly dictated by the lowest common denominator; the biggest morons.

The expects are now talking about going for eradication rather than flattening the curve only, as without eradication, the upsurges in cases will happen again and again. Unfortunately the Victorian and NSW politicians are not talking about eradication.

2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Even so, we managed to eradicate it from every state and territory except Victoria and NSW.

NSW did have it eradicated as we went for about six weeks with the only new cases being people returning from overseas in quarantine hotels. The present surge in south-western Sydney appears to have come from a freight worker who travelled up from Victoria. It remains to be seen whether it can be snuffed out before it spreads too far or if we'll end up back in lockdown, but it's pretty much scuttled my travel plans for the foreseeable future. Before this all started, I'd been thinking of a trip down south to do the Great Ocean Road and nabbing my first caches in the ACT and Victoria, and maybe another winter escape up to the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, but for now I'm not even game to venture far into Sydney so trips up to Newcastle will be my limit for a while.

We are also on the NSW coast, but South of Sydney.   We rarely leave the house these days, except for shopping and medical appointments.    We Skype the family.  All volunteer groups have cancelled meetings and I'm playing bridge online. I've only found 3 caches in the last few months.

Definitely not the time to go to anything resembling a city.

8 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

[...]

We should have gone for eradication, as NZ did. Go hard early. Even so, we managed to eradicate it from every state and territory except Victoria and NSW. Very poor management in Victoria of the quarantine hotels led to the present surge in cases. I live in the ACT and we managed to eradicate it even without having stay at home orders. It was only a strong suggestion, but most people did stay at home. They did the right thing. Maybe that's because the ACT has the highest education level in Australia. Success or not is often sadly dictated by the lowest common denominator; the biggest morons.

The expects are now talking about going for eradication rather than flattening the curve only, as without eradication, the upsurges in cases will happen again and again. Unfortunately the Victorian and NSW politicians are not talking about eradication.

Yeah, same here. When the government announced what might be possible with regards to traveling back in June I panic-rebooked my summer vacation that was supposed to go to Montenegro. It's not an EU/Schengen country and traveling outside of EU/Schengen is likely a big NO this year. Plus a that time Montenegro didn't want us in due to the poor handling of the crisis here anyway. At least I'm not out of pocket. But besides this all, yeah: things could have been handled a lot better here.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:35 PM, Goldenwattle said:

We should have gone for eradication, as NZ did. Go hard early.

Yes it is pretty good here in NZ, in that domestically things are more or less back to normal.  I've already had a few trips around the country.  I think we might be losing interest in a trans-tasman bubble for the short term (sorry Aussie) but some hopes for a bubble to extend to some pacific islands... would be nice to go sit on a beach in Fiji or Rarotonga (not that any of the islands would be new countries for me)

1 minute ago, funkymunkyzone said:

I think we might be losing interest in a trans-tasman bubble for the short term (sorry Aussie) 

I would think it is NZ should be more sorry about that - its the Aussie tourist dollars they want after all..... We're hoping to drop some of our dollars there in December.... hoping!

10 minutes ago, lee737 said:

I would think it is NZ should be more sorry about that - its the Aussie tourist dollars they want after all..... We're hoping to drop some of our dollars there in December.... hoping!

You're right, although I expect there'd be some $ going in both directions.  However, I was more thinking sorry from the humanitarian side of things.

• Upvote 4

Helgoland is done. I guess one has to be content with less exotic destinations this year, still: what a fantastic trip!

115750312_10158582117180816_6220758365158736459_o.thumb.jpg.9b808aa62bf4f4e3accde287df92ab1c.jpg110568205_10158582116825816_4402688409141758973_o.thumb.jpg.869fcc3d0dc128de8f3bf22a7ef14b4c.jpg109722201_10158582118460816_1456881482655874647_o.thumb.jpg.5ab24d3ba07fecd56d134d7681df3ce0.jpg109935433_10158582118150816_8888458120831461122_o.thumb.jpg.0b91e2e03157e28ef7b0840569377291.jpg

8 minutes ago, terratin said:

Helgoland is done. I guess one has to be content with less exotic destinations this year, still: what a fantastic trip!

Those are your photos? Wow!!

9 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Those are your photos? Wow!!

Yes. I feel I should have stayed an extra night just for seal and bird watching, and a bit more geology fun.

:antenna:

P1040935small.thumb.jpg.47643d38938c4874c7c57c02ce0f8cf7.jpg

1 hour ago, terratin said:

115750312_10158582117180816_6220758365158736459_o.thumb.jpg.9b808aa62bf4f4e3accde287df92ab1c.jpg110568205_10158582116825816_4402688409141758973_o.thumb.jpg.869fcc3d0dc128de8f3bf22a7ef14b4c.jpg109722201_10158582118460816_1456881482655874647_o.thumb.jpg.5ab24d3ba07fecd56d134d7681df3ce0.jpg109935433_10158582118150816_8888458120831461122_o.thumb.jpg.0b91e2e03157e28ef7b0840569377291.jpg

I've never heard of Helgoland.  That makes it pretty exotic in my book.  

There is a pretty fair chance that I may never visit another country again in my lifetime.

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

There is a pretty fair chance that I may never visit another country again in my lifetime.

Gill and I were talking about that the other day. We have been lucky enough to have been to almost all the places on our bucket list already, and there is a lot of Australia (even NSW) we haven't yet seen.  I doubt we will do any significant international travel ever again.  We do have two cruises booked, one to NZ over Christmas this year (about 30% chance of happening) and the other to the UK and Norway in October 2021.  I did give that one about 75%, but I am revising it downward and am doubting that it will even happen.  The NZ one is down from 50% since the AUS/NZ bubble doesn't look like happening.

When we were in the Canadian Maritimes in 2012, Newfoundland, we considered a fairly expensive trip to St Pierre y Miquelon.  It was listed as being part of France!  But, before we got there, it was moved from being France to being Canada.  So, we said "No way!"  So, I have only two countries with finds.

• Funny 1

22 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Gill and I were talking about that the other day. We have been lucky enough to have been to almost all the places on our bucket list already, and there is a lot of Australia (even NSW) we haven't yet seen.  I doubt we will do any significant international travel ever again.  We do have two cruises booked, one to NZ over Christmas this year (about 30% chance of happening) and the other to the UK and Norway in October 2021.  I did give that one about 75%, but I am revising it downward and am doubting that it will even happen.  The NZ one is down from 50% since the AUS/NZ bubble doesn't look like happening.

I've never been on a cruise either and the chance of that happening is pretty low too.  As much I enjoyed new countries there are a bunch that I've been to several times and would love to revisit.  I've never been to Portugal (where my great great grandfather was born) or Croatia (where my wifes family is from) and the closest to Oceania I've been to is Malaysia so my bucket list is still long.  

On 7/19/2020 at 9:05 PM, NYPaddleCacher said:

I've never heard of Helgoland.  That makes it pretty exotic in my book. 

It's a fairly popular destination, especially for Germans.

Without flying we're lucky to be able to visit lot's of countries by just driving. We have done so in the past (largest distance by car for a holiday was +9000 Km on a trip to Nordkapp, pre- geocaching).

With the rapidly changing COVID-19 situation (2nd wave seems to be starting here) we're staying close to home. Just returned from the Netherlands, a less than 2.5 hour drive, with 10 found multis over 4 days + some smaller stuff along the way. Since we could combine the waypoints in 3 long bike rides over 3 days, totaling just over 200Km we were out from 9:30 to 18:00. The last 3 multi finals + a 5.5 Km series of very high FP series of traditionals were visited the 4th day as they were not far from the hotel.

We still hope to have another long weekend away 200Km from home near the German border but that will depend on the COVID-19 measures. No border crossings planned for the rest of this year unless we can do it in one day.

Namibia for September this year is officially postponed to 2021 without any cost. Our Lubjiana trip was canceled but the airline has not yet refunded us. As they are a Lufthansa daughter company they were almost bankrupt but now saved by the Belgian government. At least they now have money to refund us :ph34r:.

If things improve we might instead drive to Slovenia... but who knows what will happen....

• Helpful 1

Yeah, I'm for now staying nearby as well. I have two 1-2 day earthcache trips planned, one to Texel, one of the Dutch waddensea islands, and one to the Eifel region in Germany, just over the border. Both should be fab. Just waiting for good weather for the first, and... not sure about the second yet.

We've been on Texel and Ameland before (pre-caching). You'll probably see some seals there too and maybe find stuff that fell from ships on the Northsea side of the beach. The wind might make it difficult on a bike though, at least in one direction.

Should you decide to go for the long multis near Ermelo, those are nice routes and a large part is away from the busy touristspots. It was just on the bike routes (knooppunten) that there were more people. The containers are nothing much, just plain micros . Lots of places to stop for drinks and almost all have "wait to be seated" signs and hand sanitizer. Tables are spaced, only difference with Belgium is that staff doesn't wear masks. We saw tables being cleaned with special product but not chairs in between customers. Planning was a bit difficult as we had to make reservations to go to dinner and make a choice between 6 or 8. On a long bike trip we didn't take a chance and always booked the late shift. At least we can now rest a bit B) as we'll have rain well into next week.

Well done on your trip though, @on4bam. Yeah, planning is a bit difficult at the moment, and for some reason the Dutch government seems to think it's all not such a big issue. I wish things were a bit stricter here. I usually bring a big lunch, lots of water and then order in a burger or sushi on the way home, or have some leftovers in the fridge. Trains are fortunately very quiet at the moment.

14 hours ago, on4bam said:

If things improve we might instead drive to Slovenia...

As a big fan of driving in Europe, I recommend this :)

On 7/22/2020 at 11:29 AM, on4bam said:

Namibia for September this year is officially postponed to 2021 without any cost.

Namibia sounds wonderful.  A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by a partner from South Africa we've worked with for a long time about a proposal he has submitted to an organization that supports research in 11 central and eastern African countries: Burundi, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda. I've been written in as the technical lead for the proposal.  If it happens, it could lead to some travel to one or more of those countries.  I've already found caches in three of them and the rest (except for Uganda) would present quite a challenge just to find one.   There's only one cache in Eritrea, placed in 2005.  It's on an island in the red sea.  There is only one found it log and it's questionable (the user logged in Egypt on the same day).  

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Namibia sounds wonderful. 

All was carefully planned and booked just weeks before all this COVID-19 stuff started. Ethiopia (our transfer airport) and Namibia did well for a long time but 3-4 weeks ago numbers started to explode. All accommodations let us postpone to next year at 2020 rates. Car rental gave a voucher to be used next year or, if not used by then, a refund. Ethiopian keeps our tickets open until Dec 31, 2021. So no big deal. 

58 minutes ago, on4bam said:

All was carefully planned and booked just weeks before all this COVID-19 stuff started. Ethiopia (our transfer airport) and Namibia did well for a long time but 3-4 weeks ago numbers started to explode. All accommodations let us postpone to next year at 2020 rates. Car rental gave a voucher to be used next year or, if not used by then, a refund. Ethiopian keeps our tickets open until Dec 31, 2021. So no big deal. 

Bole airport is easy to deal with.  I don't know about Belgian citizens but U.S. can get a visa upon arrival for $25.  I've been to Addis three times.  Do you just have a short layover or are you staying a day or two in Addis?

8 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Bole airport is easy to deal with.  I don't know about Belgian citizens but U.S. can get a visa upon arrival for $25.  I've been to Addis three times.  Do you just have a short layover or are you staying a day or two in Addis?

EU passports are good for easy access to most countries. There's (or better, there was) no time to go outside. Total travel time (and price) were the main reason to chose Ethiopian.

Even without being clairvoyant it may well be that travel to Namibia may not be possible next year.

• Upvote 1

No new country certainly, but I'm going to the Eifel region in Germany next weekend for a few Earthcaches and nice views. Unless I have spontaneous foot surgery as I somehow did something odd with a lipoma. But I doubt it'll be that fast.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:06 AM, on4bam said:

EU passports are good for easy access to most countries. There's (or better, there was) no time to go outside. Total travel time (and price) were the main reason to chose Ethiopian.

Even without being clairvoyant it may well be that travel to Namibia may not be possible next year.

If you get the opportunity to have a layover in Addis some time in the future, I recommend it.  Good food.  Beautiful people.  I've flown on Ethiopian air several times and thought it was better than most.