Sign in to follow this  
Followers 11
terratin

collecting countries

On 3/19/2020 at 4:17 AM, Viajero Perdido said:

Definitely, Insadong is very central for exploring; it's "temple & palace central".  Narrow streets, lots of walkers, and I'm not sure, but it seems walkers have right of way over the few vehicles.  I've stayed at Bibimbap Guesthouse (ondol style, futon + heated floors), also Top Hotel & Residence (standard but compact hotel room), both recommendable and right in the heart of it.  But there are tons of choices.

Bukhansan, yes, a wonderful hike with many caches, and cat, yes cats, on the summit.  Transportation might be tricky; it was lucky for me:

I'm excited for you.  Already I'm aching to go back a third time.

Agreed, Insadong has a great cache too with all the touristy stuff anyone would want. Most of the area is off limits to cars, not sure why anyone would want to drive through there anyway. 

I know you hiked Gwanaksan too, did you see the cats there? Actually, cats are on most mountains in Korea. I always found that interesting too. 

Next time you come back let one of the locals know and we can try showing you some more remote mountains or regions in the country. 

2 hours ago, Crazedllama said:

Seoul has great caching. Hopefully things with the virus clear up and borders start opening up again. Before you come, if you want to send me a message I can give you recommendations on some of the best caches in the area. 

Namsan in the center of the city and following the path of the three virtuals is what most tourists do. I've set up the first Adventure Lab in the city in a nice historic district too. There's so much in Seoul to enjoy. Seven years in and I'm still finding new and amazing places.  

thanks a lot :wub: s. Korea seems to be on the right path at the moment, but Europe is nowhere near that. 

@on4bam I don’t understand that the Dutch authorities have such issues restricting movement like other countries. Yes, it’s not good for the economy, but it even took a while until they said that keeping a distance is good.

1 hour ago, terratin said:

@on4bam I don’t understand that the Dutch authorities have such issues restricting movement like other countries. Yes, it’s not good for the economy, but it even took a while until they said that keeping a distance is good.

They made a choice. I think it's a bad one considering how "we" (humans) behave. When Belgium closed café's and restaurants many went partying the same evening until midnight in "lockdown parties" the day after they went across the border to Holland to go shopping, drinking, eating.

The Dutch and UK think that "herd immunity" will work but looking at the rates infected/dead and amount of infected that doesn't seem like a good idea. It looks like "flatten the curve" will work in keeping healthcare within it's limits. So far Italy and Spain are showing us what can happen and what we should avoid.

Even those planning travel to Belgium for Rock Werchter, Tomorrowland and other large festivals during the summer months should keep a close eye on the festival's website......

On a different note, we now see the advantage of (almost) never caching close to home, lots to find on foot  and by bike as "non essential" travel is forbidden but walking/biking and other "exercise" is encouraged.

• Helpful 1

12 minutes ago, on4bam said:

On a different note, we now see the advantage of (almost) never caching close to home, lots to find on foot  and by bike as "non essential" travel is forbidden but walking/biking and other "exercise" is encouraged.

I have been checking out that myself locally. I have found most near me, but if I limited myself to a walk or cycle to one a day, I might be able to manage a cache a day for a couple of weeks. And get exercise.

22 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I have been checking out that myself locally. I have found most near me, but if I limited myself to a walk or cycle to one a day, I might be able to manage a cache a day for a couple of weeks. And get exercise.

That's what you get living where you are :lol:

This is a 5Km radius (almost) centered om my location. On Wednesday we biked to the area on the right edge (40Km tour) and last Sunday we walked the area just outside the circle along the river (16Km).

radius.thumb.jpg.9de09296cbbc83f3a158ea764f306ff4.jpg

1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

I’ve not cached much in my immediate area, and there’s a fair bit of varied (for Dutch) nature around, 2km max get cycling out of town. That’s not too bad if I get desperate.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, on4bam said:

That's what you get living where you are :lol:

This is a 5Km radius (almost) centered om my location. On Wednesday we biked to the area on the right edge (40Km tour) and last Sunday we walked the area just outside the circle along the river (16Km).

Here is a 5km one where I live. As can be seen I have been busy, but there are still a few caches to find. Mind you, there a horrible hill to get over to go south.

5 kms from home.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle

41 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Here is a 5km one where I live. As can be seen I have been busy, but there are still a few caches to find. Mind you, there a horrible hill to get over to go south.

This is my 5km circle, excluding my own caches.

image.png.c0eaf9b3f088611eab4211563f3ba27b.png

There used to be a lot more in the built-up areas but one by one they disappeared. Some good memories from my early days of caching.

Well... this is just inside of town. Lots to do 🤣

i just came back from a 20km hilly forest hike with a 21 stage multi and 4 other caches. Might have been a new community as well.

011D6B41-A1B7-4709-A3A5-F9C08840754C.png

I was watching Al Jazeera news this morning and they were reporting that Qatar has closed its borders. I was due to fly (in two weeks) to Azerbaijan via Doha, Qatar, on a Qatar Airways flight. The planets definitely weren't lining up.

22 hours ago, Crazedllama said:

I know you hiked Gwanaksan too, did you see the cats there? Actually, cats are on most mountains in Korea. I always found that interesting too. 

Yes, on various mountains including Gwanaksan.  (Hard to believe I've been up that one three times!)  I followed one cat into its bunker (as I'm sure you know, Korean mountains have pillboxes in good repair) and found a dish each of water and cat food.  Ah good, I figured people were looking after them.

c5c91626-b9dc-4482-bb16-4e02a04e97ab_l.j

22 hours ago, Crazedllama said:

Next time you come back let one of the locals know and we can try showing you some more remote mountains or regions in the country. 

Thank you!  Invitation tucked away somewhere safe.  Hmm, I wonder if it'll be safe to travel, say November?  Great month to be in Korea.  Already I have some geo-friends interested in joining me, whenever it might happen.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Yes, on various mountains including Gwanaksan.  (Hard to believe I've been up that one three times!)  I followed one cat into its bunker (as I'm sure you know, Korean mountains have pillboxes in good repair) and found a dish each of water and cat food.  Ah good, I figured people were looking after them.

c5c91626-b9dc-4482-bb16-4e02a04e97ab_l.j

Thank you!  Invitation tucked away somewhere safe.  Hmm, I wonder if it'll be safe to travel, say November?  Great month to be in Korea.  Already I have some geo-friends interested in joining me, whenever it might happen.

My trip is also booked for end of October/ early November. I can fortunately change or cancel the flight if needed. Lets see what happens until then, right?

• Upvote 1