Minecraft Geocache

You may or may not have heard of the game Minecraft. If you have, you may wish to skip this quick description of it. If not, follow this link to a short video and read below.

Minecraft is an open-ended computer game. You have your own world with very loose objectives. Apart from surviving the monsters that come out at night, what you do with minecraft is up to you. You collect blocks by 'mining' them and these can be placed elsewhere, so you can create your own structures, from a simple house all the way to a booby-trapped mansion with statues and fountains in gardens all around. You can also collect resources to make helpful or decorative items, such as armour, paintings and beds. You can see examples of these in the video.

My cache idea is this: Firstly, I'll join a popular Minecraft server that many people play on. In this world, I will dedicate a small portion of land to creating, in Minecraft, a replica of a real-life area where my real-life cache is going to go. With no co-ordinates to the real cache, you must follow clues in the Minecraft world to find the virtual Minecraft cache - probably a chest with a book in it :) - and once this is located, you go to the same place in real life to find the cache. For example, several cryptic signs in Minecraft might lead you to climb a tree by a small lake, where you find the virtual cache. You then go out in real life to find that tree and the cache is there in real life! I'll probably try to make it a Minecraft-themed container aswell ^_^

That's the premise. A few things I want to point mention though... I am in England. The Geocaching community in my area is, although still large, not as big as many of those in America. And a lot less people here probably play the game. So, I am going to try and get an experienced cacher in America (possibly Seattle) to place a cache for me. That person would be cache owner and obviously would be doing the upkeep on the cache. They do not need to own the game Minecraft. I would purchase and mail them any Minecraft merchandise to decorate the cache with. They would then take a series of photos of the surrounding area to send to me so I can build the Minecraft area. I will maintain the virtual cache (in case someone 'griefs' - destroys for no good reason, to annoy people - the area) within Minecraft.

If I go ahead with this, I'll need to contact the cache owner who does this in tandem with me, possibly Groundspeak and possibly a gaming company/community who own a 24/7 server.

Firstly, comment below with any suggestions, questions or constructive criticism on how this may/may not work. Secondly, tell me if you want to own the real cache in this project. You need to have placed a few caches before and know you have a strong caching community in your area. Thirdly, any admin feedback would be greatly appreciated - I would love to know if contacting Groundspeak is at all viable so that I have more credibility when contacting a big gaming company, such as PC Gamer, who own a 24/7 popular Minecraft server. Plus, I understand that this cache requires ownership of a non-free game, which does conflict with a rule of placing geocaches. I'd like to know if this cache would still be possible if explicitly stated that I do not intend for anyone to purchase the game so as to find this cache - it is designed for those who already own the game and want a spin on it's gameplay. I have no affiliations with the game developers.

I'll try and reply to all comments below. Thanks for reading!

Edited by Richard arnold

That is my only worry. Minecraft isn't free. However, in browser does mean that no downloads are necessary. What I thought was making sure that the cache desciption clearly stated that the cache is designed for those who already own Minecraft - this is not asking you to purchase the game and I have no associations with Mojang. Buying the game doesn't profit me in any way. I just like the idea of the cache :) Because of this, I may need to contact Groundspeak to ask for permission for this cache.

I've edited my original post to address this. Thanks for the comment Touchstone.

Edited by Richard arnold

What I thought was making sure that the cache desciption clearly stated that the cache is designed for those who already own Minecraft

That right there will ellicit a lot of negative reactions. Kudos for thinking outside of the box, but it's been pretty clear in the past that cachers aren't too happy about caches that significantly limit who will be able to find it. Maybe if you were to provide an alternate method of finding it, it might be OK. For example, many Chirp caches also have an alternate method for those without a Chirp-capable device, such as a container nearby with the coordinates. The people that are really into Minecraft will probably solve it the intended way, but non-Minecraft players will still be able to make the find.

Could you do it without the computer game? Just use the game as something to model a cache after. Minecraft's about building things right? So have the coordinates take you someplace where there are things to build with that are either scattered together on the ground (away from muggles) or else contained in something. Say for instance you use small wooden blocks and on the blocks are numbers and maybe different spots of color and/or letters and/or shapes. On the cache webpage are three sets of blueprints that the cacher has to printout and bring with them. The blueprints are nothing more than instructions on how to assemble the wooden blocks to get the coordinates for three different caches. (Example-the blueprints might say put the block with the blue spot in front of the one with the green spot.) When assembled the numbers on the blocks are in the right order for the coordinates to a cache. The cacher assembles the blocks according to one blueprint to find coordinates to a cache. Choose the right blueprint , open the cache up and you win- you find the log to sign. Choose the wrong cache, open it up and it says you are monster munched -try again. You can be as creative as you want just don't have it so involved that people will not want to do it.

That is my only worry. Minecraft isn't free. However, in browser does mean that no downloads are necessary. What I thought was making sure that the cache desciption clearly stated that the cache is designed for those who already own Minecraft - this is not asking you to purchase the game and I have no associations with Mojang. Buying the game doesn't profit me in any way. I just like the idea of the cache :) Because of this, I may need to contact Groundspeak to ask for permission for this cache.

I've edited my original post to address this. Thanks for the comment Touchstone.

Caches must be available to all. Saying it is for those who already have the game would violate guidelines.

I don't play minecraft, but I really like the idea. If Groundspeak is ok with it, then why not do it.

As always, there will be some players to nag about it not beeing available for everyone, so an alternative would be good.

I think it's nice that there are still some people with fresh ideas out there ;)

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

If I attempt to publish such a cache, there will definitely be an alternative route that does not at all require the game Minecraft - Minecraft simply allows an alternative method for those who want to. This means that it's still accessible by all and no site regitsration is actually necessary. Hopefully this bypasses the rule about other site registration.

I've read NiraD's post, which is now my primary concern. Do you guys think that the above method of having a non-Minecraft solution also gets me in the clear from the commercial cache? Technically, you could still say that it's advertising Minecraft. Then again, I've been looking through the site and found a cache where you have to find the cache co-ordinates hidden in pictures of Minecraft. This has been successfully published. With an alternative solution, is my cache really any different than this? You could say that this cache is also advertising Minecraft.

I've read NiraD's post, which is now my primary concern. Do you guys think that the above method of having a non-Minecraft solution also gets me in the clear from the commercial cache? Technically, you could still say that it's advertising Minecraft. Then again, I've been looking through the site and found a cache where you have to find the cache co-ordinates hidden in pictures of Minecraft. This has been successfully published. With an alternative solution, is my cache really any different than this? You could say that this cache is also advertising Minecraft.

Again, your best bet is to run it by your reviewer- then you'll know.

You don't need the Minecraft tie-in on the cache page. Make the cache name "Minecraft something-or-other" if you want but otherwise just make it a normal cache. Then, in game tie it to the real world cache. That way Groundspeak doesn't have any grounds to deny it and the Minecraft community still has access to your 'outside the box' idea.

I think yours is a pretty interesting idea. I also think it would be fine if normal cachers could find it using traditional means and there was an alternate means that nobody knew about except those who, as you say, already own the game. Problem solved. You're welcome.

edit to clean up a few typos.

Edited by GeotaggedBloger

This is an idea I had - where the cache page has no links to the Minecraft game. The only issue here is that not only do people doing the Minecraft portion of this cache have to both play Minecraft and Geocache, now they also have to play on the specific server that I make this on. The chances of that are minimal - I doubt anyone would end up using MC to find this cache.

As I type, I've just had an idea. I'll do as you said, GeotaggedBloger, and advertise the Minecraft portion of this cache on the Minecraft forums rather than the Groundspeak ones. Hopefully, people will be lead to go on the server even if they usually don't. I could do a Youtube video to advertise it, too, but have it saying 'A new spin on Minecraft' rather than 'A new spin on Geocaching'.

This, I believe, solves all the issues. If there's still a problem, please let me know. My final issue now, if that all works, is if a Minecraft-playing Geocacher sees the cache page. With no links to Minecraft, they won't know how to find the Minecraft server. Would putting the Minecraft server IP address on the cache page count as advertising Minecraft?

I would think its okay but I'm not a reviewer. Maybe do a search for other PC game teamed caches and see what they're doing?

Also, if your plan is to place the real world cache in Seattle then maybe contact their reviewer for guidance. Good luck. I think a really cool cache is shaping up.

In addition the the commercial issue, this may also be a problem:

With no co-ordinates to the real cache, you must follow clues in the Minecraft world to find the virtual Minecraft cache - probably a chest with a book in it :) - and once this is located, you go to the same place in real life to find the cache. For example, several cryptic signs in Minecraft might lead you to climb a tree by a small lake, where you find the virtual cache. You then go out in real life to find that tree and the cache is there in real life! I'll probably try to make it a Minecraft-themed container aswell

The geocaching requirements stipulate that the use of a GPS must be integral to finding a cache. In other words, even if a cache is listed as a mystery cache, at some point you need to provide a set of lat/long coordinates that can be entered into a GPS to find the real life location. What you're describing seems to relate more to letterboxing rather than geocaching.

So, I am going to try and get an experienced cacher in America (possibly Seattle) to place a cache for me. That person would be cache owner and obviously would be doing the upkeep on the cache.

I think that is going to be your biggest stumbling block to this idea.

My cache idea is this: Firstly, I'll join a popular Minecraft server that many people play on. In this world, I will dedicate a small portion of land to creating, in Minecraft, a replica of a real-life area where my real-life cache is going to go. With no co-ordinates to the real cache, you must follow clues in the Minecraft world to find the virtual Minecraft cache - probably a chest with a book in it :) - and once this is located, you go to the same place in real life to find the cache. For example, several cryptic signs in Minecraft might lead you to climb a tree by a small lake, where you find the virtual cache. You then go out in real life to find that tree and the cache is there in real life! I'll probably try to make it a Minecraft-themed container aswell ^_^

You might be able to use screen shots. Place photos of all the scenes/clues into your cache description.

All of this response is excellent guys, thanks so much!

I think a really cool cache is shaping up.

I hope so too Bloger :D

The geocaching requirements stipulate that the use of a GPS must be integral to finding a cache.

Paddle, thanks for bringing this to my attention. In that case, I think I may do this as a small multi-cache. Minecraft simply gives you clues to the first few boxes which all together give you co-ords for the final box.

You might be able to use screen shots. Place photos of all the scenes/clues into your cache description.

Unfortunarely Kunarion, this defeats the object of my cache really :( I really like the idea of exploring the virtual world and caching within Minecraft. You can still use co-ordinates as it tells you your co-ords in MC. Essentially, I'm trying to bridge virtual and real caching in a unique way.

Now that this is going to have a different way of solving, not just Minecraft, I will probably do this myself, in England. I don't think I can expect someone abroad to set up a whole multi for me XD

Interesting idea, although I would be concerned about the following portion of the Guidelines with this concept:

Geocache listings that require additional website registration, installs or downloads are generally not publishable.

I'd be more concerned about the fact that Minecraft is a pretty lame game. A cache like this wouldn't be too interesting.

Seems like you would have a better chance of getting published on GS if you present it backwards: publish a puzzle, say with a set of blocks that were described above, and at the end of the cache page mention that there's also an alternative method of solution that involves entering Minecraft. I don't do puzzles, but the concept is intriguing.

If you have to register on a site, I am pretty sure it would not be listed. Minecraft is a commercial product.

Commercial caches are disallowed. As a general rule, reviewers will not publish cache pages that seem commercial. A commercial cache has one or more of the following characteristics:

1- It requires the finder to go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

2- It has overtones of advertising, marketing or promotion.

3- It contains links to businesses, commercial advertisers, charities, political agendas or social agendas.

4- It contains the logo of a business or organization, including non-profit organizations.

5- The name of a business or commercial product is on the cache page.

6- On very rare occasions, Groundspeak makes an exception for a commercial cache. Arrangements are made before placement. If your cache is commercial in any way, please contact Groundspeak for clarification about how to comply with cache listing guidelines.

It would require registration (#1), would talk about minecraft (#2), have a link to minecraft or mention it (3 and 5)

If you got permission from Groundspeak (#6) Then you would need to give coords on the site. Groundspeak requires a GPS to be used to find caches.

Groundspeak requires a GPS to be used to find caches.

Absolutely incorrect.

I mistated, a geocache must be set up to use gps to find it. If you can use a compass or map, more power to you.

You must visit the geocache site and obtain all the coordinates with a GPS device. GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and finding geocaches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions.

If you just make a puzzle to copy a city park, and say go to where this is model shows, it most likely will not get listed. Coords would need to be given.

Groundspeak requires a GPS to be used to find caches.

Absolutely incorrect.

firennice could have been more clear in his summarization of the guidelines, but that doesn't make him absolutely incorrect. The guidelines require COs to make GPS use an integral part of finding each cache. Seekers' finds aren't invalidated by finding a cache without a GPS, but the CO needs to provide a means to find a cache using GPS. Surely you could have figured out that this was the guideline he was referring to and clarified it, instead of simply contradicting him without any explanation.

Edited by Ambient_Skater

Sounds great! I love minecraft. And my guess is that quite a few of the guidelines that have been brought up in objection to this aren't really applicable - it seems just as valid as those caches that require scuba gear perhaps, or perhaps something like a car. And there's quite a few legitimate ways to provide backdoor access to the cache - geotagged background images, etc, that should get you past all but the most persnickety of reviewers. I personally would prefer a downloadable map with the intended clues rather than a server based version, but that's just me - you can always download a map, but servers get full quite often.

Edited by sduck

Wouldn't you be better off using a free online game to run this from? Like http://secondlife.com/ ?

You beat me to it, I play second life a lot, its completely free, you do however have to register your avatar. But it is more accessible than some caches I have heard of. How does one get to this cache GC1BE91 on the ISS? The caches on Antarctica are only really accessible to paying holiday customers. There are some stunning builds in second life considering that they are all built by the players. I think a series of second life caches would be great, I'd happily write the code for the caches to allow the players avatar to sign the cache and read the virtual log if they were allowed.

I think this is a great idea! Any updates?

No multicache or mystery cache was ever submitted by the OP's account. If the OP wrote to Groundspeak, I'd bet my annual moderator's salary that he heard back a "NO."

Wouldn't you be better off using a free online game to run this from? Like http://secondlife.com/ ?

"Free" is helpful, but if registration is required in order to play the game, then the answer will likely be "no."

I just emailed ground speak with a suggestion for caches in second life. Will let you know what response I get back. Not holding my breath though to anyone saying yes, but if you don't ask you don't get.

The response will most likely be a suggestion to post the suggestion in this forum where the merits of the proposal can be discussed to determine if anyone else thinks it's a good idea.

i want to do this now; i think i got a valid solution too.

have two cache containers. one at the posted coords that anyone can sign; however if people want a challenge and to have fun with it. they can do the minecraft version of it.

if i get permission to do this. i will probably do ten of them and buy path tags to give to people who complete all ten.

does anybody see a problem with this?

Also i would prefer to have a map download so i do not need to have a server running. the rules state "HAVE" to. since there is the easy method. do people think then a download would be acceptable?