Footwear recommendations for ladies?

Team Pixos

1st compfort

2nd asking others what they wear is not the best way to buy shoes, what is compfortable to a freind may not fit your foot properly.

3rd Go to a good specialty store like REI and plan to spend 1-2 hours trying shoes,lots of brands and styles and (both the left the right shoes) until you find something compfortable.

4th Plan on an ugly shoe, that way you will not be disapointed in your selection

5th were them around in you house for a couple hours before you take them outside, sometimes it may take a hot spot a while to show up. If something feel wrong, take them back

Oh and stay away from cotton socks, they are not good for your feet. I use a thorlo KLT blend that is 33% merino wool ( and no merino wool does not itch )

Remember if a shoe does not fit you will not be able walk in it without pain

Edited by JohnnyVegas

What I wear depends entirely on where I'm going. If it's mainly urban/suburban, I'll wear my walking shoes. If I'm going out on hiking trails, etc, hiking boots. Mostly the terrain is some sort of combination, and I have a pair of walking shoes that are sturdier and almost like hiking boots--these are what I wear most of the time. Sandals/flip flops--NEVER!

If you're doing less than quarter-mile walks or caching in urban areas, whatever you feel comfortable in will probably work.

For hikes or trips in varied terrain and "traction" is needed, you'd probably do best with a hiking shoe/boot.

In my area it seems Merrell is a favorite, with their Chameleon and Pulse models most popular. Second seems to be hikers from L.L.Bean.

It'd be best if you went to a outfitter and have them size you.

Some brands are gonna be narrow or have a tight arch. A good retailer will be able to show you where to start from your sizing.

Goretex is king. Can't beat having dry feet all day. Highly recommended.

Some models will have GTX with the name, or just say Goretex on them.

Socks made of Cool-Max or merino wool (30% or better) will keep your feet happier on longer hikes.

since you're in Canada you might want to try MEC (Mountain Equipment CO-OP)

i had a pair of GORE-TEX hiking boots before that just "passed away" and i would never get anything else, even though they are pricey the are great year round, i did most of the winter in them last year, Canadian winter that is :laughing:

those are the new ones i just got, great ankle support and great traction, plus most importantly, at least to me, you are guaranteed your feet will stay dry

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwear/DayHiking/Womens/PRD~5024-122/zamberlan-oak-gt-gore-tex-day-hiking-boots-womens.jsp

Edited by t4e

How is this in any way gender-specific?

I'd like to give information, but seeing as how I lack the correct chromosomes I guess I can't chime in.

The OP didn't say the advice had to come from a lady, just that it should be about ladies footwear :P

But I agree that my answer would be the same no matter the gender of the person who will wear the footwear B)

Most of the time, good waterproof hiking boots. They'll protect your feet and ankles in rough terrain, from mud, rocks, pointy branches, etc.

Hybrid shoes (water shoes) are a good choice for canoe caching, they have less suction in the mud than the hiking boots. :rolleyes:

In the winter, in most of Canada, those hiking boots will still do for park and grabs, but for spending hours outside good winter boots are a must. And if you want to go off-trail, snowshoes are a must around here, so pick boots that have proper reinforcments where the snowshoe straps go.

Another Canadian lady chiming in here. This will be my 10th winter of caching, although I guess I didn't actually do any caching the first winter after I started - long cache drought from November to March. I go caching quite a bit in the winter, so this is what works for me.

I always go for good footwear and don't mind spending a bit extra - it saves my feet in the end. I prefer light-weight hikers and they have to fit comfortably. Most often I buy Columbia, Merrell or Timberlands - they seem to fit my feet the best. I typically have a pair of regular hiking/walking shoes for days when I am urban caching. If I am going to be out on rougher terrain, I prefer high-top boots that give a bit of ankle support as well. Waterproof is usually a good idea.

You can find some great winter hiking boots. I recently picked up a pair of Columbia boots that were rated up -35°C (for the Americans, that's almost the same in °F as they are exacty the same at -40°). They are a bit higher than normal high top hiking boots, so it will be helpful in the deeper snow.

If you're planning to cache in the winter, I recommend snowshoes - I am really glad I invested in a pair.

Another item that can be really great to have is gortex socks. Yes - they make gortex socks! They are pricey though($65). You wear them over your regular socks and they will keep your feet dry which is essential for winter caching. This is best in the early and late part of winter when the snow is really wet and slushy.

Happy caching. Keep warm (and dry)!

Vancouver Island checking in! My winter hiking boots are waterproof, give lots of support around the ankles, have a Vibram sole, Gore-tex around the tongue area and are made in Romania. The brand is AKU and I bought them at Valhalla Pure Outfitters - may be local to Victoria, not sure. I paid around $200, 3 or 4 years ago, and although they are looking a bit mucky, seem not to have worn at all.

My summer boots are Salomon, mesh upper and not so comfy as the above. They were a lot cheaper (Shoe Company) and what support there was seems to have gone. I have insoles in them, but not in my winter ones.

These boots both cover urban/rural caching...but if no mud is to be involved, runners do the trick.

What suits YOU and is comfy to YOU is what matters. At Valhalla, they have a slope with rocks/stones cemented in so you can try them out. Totally off topic - I also bought Teva sandals there...so comfortable.

Another item that can be really great to have is gortex socks. Yes - they make gortex socks! They are pricey though($65). You wear them over your regular socks and they will keep your feet dry which is essential for winter caching. This is best in the early and late part of winter when the snow is really wet and slushy.

Happy caching. Keep warm (and dry)!

at first glance that sounds like a good idea, however if you buy a properly fitting pair of boots/shoes you should not have room for a second pair of socks

13323_stort.jpg

Another vote for these.

Mine are very similar, also by Keen. Might be a model of a different year, but almost identical.

Mine are goretex. They are the perfect caching shoes as far as I'm concerned (and yes I do have the correct chromosomes to chime in on this thread). I cache with them in the rain all the time and always come home with dry feet. They are great shoes. They come in great when I suddenly am called upon to do a short hike or go up a slippery hill while caching, or whatever. I constantly am thinking they are the perfect shoes for this.

(edit: I screwed up the link to the photo)

Edited by Sol seaker

I prefer breathable shoes that dry faster versus heavy shoes which may have some slight water proof qualities. Sinking into a swamp gore tex or not you're going to get wet. I spend a lot of time in wet terrain here. I know my preference wouldn't be everyone's but having sloshed around in both I prefer non water proof and breathable.

You have a lot of good suggestions above.

I don't think there's any special type of caching footwear. I know people whose idea of a hike is literally a walk in the park (nothing wrong with that) and others whose idea of a hike is many miles and many feet of elevation (nothing wrong with that either). They need different footwear for their different pursuits, whether or not there is a cache involved.

As pointed out above, get people's recommendations for shoes/boots (I like Merrill boots), but buy what's comfortable for you and suitable for your type of caching. I liked the suggestion above about snowshoes, and I imagine that you would get a lot of use out of them and have a ton of fun.

One thing that has not been mentioned but is super useful if you hike in icy or slippery areas is some sort of traction systemn. Simple Yaktrax slipped over your everyday shoes will make you safer in an icy parking lot if LPCs are your winter cache of choice, and microspikes can make your boots safer on icy trails.

I prefer breathable shoes that dry faster versus heavy shoes which may have some slight water proof qualities. Sinking into a swamp gore tex or not you're going to get wet. I spend a lot of time in wet terrain here. I know my preference wouldn't be everyone's but having sloshed around in both I prefer non water proof and breathable.

I hear ya!

These are very lightweight and breathable and comfortable for walking long distances. Also allow me to jog if the occasion arises. I have hiking boots as well, but they're more for winter when keeping the feet warm is a priority.

Brand-name is only important here as it pertains to construction quality. Fit and comfort are a separate issue. Even such things as what country the shoes are made in can have a huge bearing on which ones are right for you. It took me years to realize that European lasts tend to fit my particular foot better than Asian lasts. Vasque and Lowa are an awesome fit for me, but they may be terrible for you. Keen and Merril are too low in the heel for me. But they may be just right for you.

Brand-name is only important here as it pertains to construction quality. Fit and comfort are a separate issue. Even such things as what country the shoes are made in can have a huge bearing on which ones are right for you. It took me years to realize that European lasts tend to fit my particular foot better than Asian lasts. Vasque and Lowa are an awesome fit for me, but they may be terrible for you. Keen and Merril are too low in the heel for me. But they may be just right for you.
Interesting. I hadn't made the link between which continent the shoemaker is from. But both my wife and I have found that some brands just don't fit right. When we find a brand we like, we stick with it as long as we can because neither of us enjoys shoe shopping.

The only advice I have to offer is to try on shoes until you find ones with the combination of features you're looking for, that also fit your feet. A knowledgeable salesperson can help speed up the hunt if you explain what you like/dislike about the fit of the shoes you're trying on, but ultimately, you still have to keep trying on shoes until you find the right ones.

A good friend of mine swears by her pair of Merrell hiking shoes. A caching friend also swears by them and has section hiked the AT with them. I picked up a pair myself earlier this year and love them.

You were simply lucky that your feet are apparently similar to your friend's. Buying hiking boots/shoes on the recommendation of someone else is generally foolish. What fits one person great can be living hell on someone else's feet. For instance I can not wear Merrell. They are murder on my feet. Merrell makes great hiking boots - for those people whose feet they fit.

I was a fan of Merrell for many years, but they seem to have a real lack of selection in womens hiking boots this year.. very disappointing. I looked long and hard before I found Salomon gore-tex hiking boots, and I love them. I've worn them several times, for several hours in the rain, mud and puddles and my feet always stay dry.

I am very curious about the gore-tex socks, though. Are they thin enough to wear over a pair of socks without your footwear becoming too tight? Could you wear them without another pair underneath? On extra wet days my feet feel damp even though they stay dry, maybe that would eliminate the wet 'feeling'.

One thing that I've found about geocaching that is not so true about many other outdoor activities is the wide variety of terrain that you may encounter all on the same day. One minute you might be walking a paved bike trail, or even a sidewalk, the next you are trying to traverse a steep slope in soft dirt. It is pretty tough to find footwear that is optimal for all of the situations we might find ourselves in.

One thing that I've found about geocaching that is not so true about many other outdoor activities is the wide variety of terrain that you may encounter all on the same day. One minute you might be walking a paved bike trail, or even a sidewalk, the next you are trying to traverse a steep slope in soft dirt. It is pretty tough to find footwear that is optimal for all of the situations we might find ourselves in.

I usually bring a couple back up shoes and keep them in the car for partially that reason. I have my water sandals in there and my flip flops and then if I think my original hiking shoes are going to get real wet early on I'll bring an extra pair of hiking shoes.