I helped place the cache...

My take is ,, How can you find some thing that you hid? :tongue:

Mine too.

Mine Three. :lol: I was going to say if it bothers you seeing it in the local cache listings you can ignore it, but I see you are not a premium member. So scratch that idea. I have done this. I have hidden 2 caches under a sock puppet account, and I ignored them, and then put them on my watchlist so I got email notification of every log. Oops, watchlist is another premium member feature. I'm just a walking advertisment for premium membership today, aren't I?

Oops, watchlist is another premium member feature. I'm just a walking advertisment for premium membership today, aren't I?

The watchlist is available to basic members, too.

I had various caches and trackables on a watchlist for the entire time we were non-Premium Members.

You might be thinking of the bookmark lists, which are Premium Member only.

As for the OP, it's up to you and the cache owner.

It might get others a little annoyed to think that they are going for a FTF, only to discover a name in the logbook when they get there, though. Then that might prompt yet another angst-filled forum thread about the people who "trick" others by not logging online in a timely fashion.

Personally, I wouldn't do it either. But if you want that smiley that much, and the cache owner doesn't mind, go ahead.

Edited by Pup Patrol

As there is no other way to log an Assisted Hide or to co-own a cache, the only other way to log my involvement is logging a Find. It's my statistical credit.

Plus it gets the cache out of any future searches without having to put it on my Ignore list. :)

However, I will wait until someone else gets FTF before I backlog my Find (and I would specifically note in my log that I placed or assisted in placing or was found before publication and thus was NOT FTF).

Edited by Joshism

It may depend on what you mean by "helped place".

If I were just as involved as the owner in picking the hiding spot, crafting the camouflage, taking the camouflaged cache to the hiding spot, etc., then I'd consider myself a co-owner. I'd put the cache on my watchlist and on my ignore list, and I wouldn't log a Find.

On the other hand, if my involvement was smaller (e.g., going on the hike with the CO and "beta testing" the coordinates, or consulting with the CO on the development of his puzzle), then I'd probably log a Find at some point. I wouldn't try to claim FTF, but I wouldn't consider logging a Find to be inappropriate.

As there is no other way to log an Assisted Hide or to co-own a cache, the only other way to log my involvement is logging a Find. It's my statistical credit.

Plus it gets the cache out of any future searches without having to put it on my Ignore list. :)

However, I will wait until someone else gets FTF before I backlog my Find (and I would specifically note in my log that I placed or assisted in placing or was found before publication and thus was NOT FTF).

Okay. I'll play Devil's Advocate here. If it's okay to log a find on a cache you helped hide, and were the first to sign the log after it was hidden, then why would it be improper too claim the FTF ?

If claiming the find is okay, then why wouldn't claiming the FTF also be okay?

Okay. I'll play Devil's Advocate here. If it's okay to log a find on a cache you helped hide, and were the first to sign the log after it was hidden, then why would it be improper too claim the FTF ?

I agree, if you feel you found it log it, but ifnyou were first then you have to take FTF, otherwise don't log it. IMHO you didn't find it and don't deserve to log it.

I don't presume to speak for Joshism, but speaking only for myself:

There are people for whom the FTF race is a big deal. They seem to expect FTF to be FTFAP (First To Find After Publication).

If no one cared about the FTF race, then I'd just go ahead and just log a cache that I helped beta test. But since some people do care (passionately) about the FTF race, it can help avoid unpleasant drama if beta testers wait to log online, and if they sign the physical log on the second page (with a "beta tester" note to avoid confusion).

For me, it depends on the cache...just my crazy personal ethics.

If it's a simple urban hide, then no...I would ignore it from the get-go.

If it is a challenging back-country hide then I would not hesitate to return some time after the FTF was made (and indeed I could consider a return trip as the FTF on the most recent cache I helped place {which could be considered grounds for commitment to a mental institution, but I digress}), to log a find.

I realize there is some middle ground that is a grey area, but if the real challenge of the cache is actually getting your behind to the location, then I'll go back 'sometime' and log the find.

If the challenge is knowing how/where the container is hidden, then I have spoiled it for myself by being there when it was hidden. That being said, I have seldom assisted in placing other than remote back-country caches.

I don't really see why it's a problem to log it. I wouldn't do the FTF thing, as others have stated it, but it's pretty much the same thing as logging a find when you were part of a group finding it - and most of us have done that sometime, even if we weren't the one who did the actual find.

Oops, watchlist is another premium member feature. I'm just a walking advertisment for premium membership today, aren't I?

The watchlist is available to basic members, too.

I had various caches and trackables on a watchlist for the entire time we were non-Premium Members.

You might be thinking of the bookmark lists, which are Premium Member only.

As for the OP, it's up to you and the cache owner.

It might get others a little annoyed to think that they are going for a FTF, only to discover a name in the logbook when they get there, though. Then that might prompt yet another angst-filled forum thread about the people who "trick" others by not logging online in a timely fashion.

Personally, I wouldn't do it either. But if you want that smiley that much, and the cache owner doesn't mind, go ahead.

I didn't see this, and probably wouldn't have if the thread wasn't bumped. I was indeed thinking of Bookmark lists, a basic member can watch a cache. I just tried it with my sock puppet account. But still, the OP wouldn't be able to ignore a listing.

So yeah, a large number of people do log caches they helped hide. Personally, I find it somewhat cheesy, and would not do it myself. The Geocaching Police will not take you away if you do, go for it if you're comfortable with it.

If I help hide a cache, then it goes on my ignore list and I don't claim a find.

If I'm not involved in hiding a cache but help beta test it, then I eventually do claim a find (but not a FTF).

That said, I've noticed a recent increase in our area of people claiming finds for caches that they have either hidden or helped to hide.

I've done it while on a weekend caching trip. The CO stood on the front bumper of my truck to reach up high on a sign in a parking lot where we had just had dinner to hide a magnetic key holder, I whipped up a cache listing submission on my WiFi laptop, a Reviewer sitting in my truck listed it, I logged FTF. But it was a one-time spur-of-the-moment bit of silliness that we all did just for fun.

Normally, no.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

As someone said, for me it depends on what you mean by "helped hide".

My personal rule of thumb:

- If I truly co-own the cache and am expected to assist in the maintenance of it then I would not log it as a Find.

- If I happened to be present when the cache was hidden then I will not log a Find for that trip, but I certainly will not hesitate to find it and log it on a subsequent visit. All I ask is that the cache owner hide it while I am not in visible range and I request they don't tell me anything about the container or the hiding style so I can get a true experience if I ever get back to the location.

my view on this is logging the cache after someone else claims the FTF.

Makes no sense because if they qualify as having found it then they must have found it first and if they don't then they can't log it at any time. Either they have to log FTF or nothing at all. My vote would be for the latter.

' timestamp='1310952388' post='4778726']

but ifnyou were first then you have to take FTF,

What an odd statement. You don't "have to" take FTF, since it's not a real thing anyway.

Some people will sign the second page in a log book in addition to waiting until someone else has logged online. I think that the last three times I was first to sign a log, I didn't say anything about FTF. The two times before that I did. No reason. I wasn't there when any of them were placed. I just don't care that much.

' timestamp='1310952388' post='4778726']

but ifnyou were first then you have to take FTF,

What an odd statement. You don't "have to" take FTF, since it's not a real thing anyway.

Some people will sign the second page in a log book in addition to waiting until someone else has logged online. I think that the last three times I was first to sign a log, I didn't say anything about FTF. The two times before that I did. No reason. I wasn't there when any of them were placed. I just don't care that much.

We all know that you don't care about the designation of First to Find. That does not make it not a real thing.

It is as real as Second to Find or Thousandth to Find.

As far as the original question, I would not immediately log a cache I helped hide. Here is an idea. Wait until the winter, when the area looks completely different than when you helped make the hide. Then go find it and log it.

I've had caches along a local bike trail that I found in the autumn and winter. I went back and re-found many in the spring and summer again and the hunts were not even remotely comparable.