Unique Virtual too special to be Archived?

SwineFlew

Hey I don't think it was right for cachers to attack his caches. All I'm saying is he deserves what he gets. He brought this mess on himself.

To put it another way...

Just because someone decided to drive after curfew, it doesn't mean they deserved to be hit by a drunk driver.

He knew what he was getting himself into by putting the NA on that cache. Really what did you think was going to happen. Of course cachers were going to attack his caches. That's the only way they can get back at him. HE gave them a reason to attck his caches. We wouldn't be talking about this if he would have left everything alone. So I say he deserves whatever is dished to him.

Whatever action the OP took, it pales in comparison to what was done to his caches. That response is totally out of proportion to the OP action and is not deserved.

The OP posted a NA and nothing will likely come of that action. It's all a lot of noise and hubbub. Now, having all his caches locked due to what some idiot was posting on them...that's not right.

I agree that it's not right. What the OP did wasn't right either. So they both aren't right....................so now what?

Hey I don't think it was right for cachers to attack his caches. All I'm saying is he deserves what he gets. He brought this mess on himself.

To put it another way...

Just because someone decided to drive after curfew, it doesn't mean they deserved to be hit by a drunk driver.

Come on :rolleyes: That's a joke right?

Lets keep this thread friendly, please.

My tongue is going to be bleeding by the time I'm done, but I'll keep it as friendly as possible.

Why in heaven's name would you post an NA on a geocache that isn't in your normal search area, that you haven't looked for, and that doesn't affect you in any possible way?

I'm all about geocachers being self-policing, and I don't hesitate to post an NA when it's needed. I fail to see why one was needed here. I think you stepped over a line.

+1

I read the opening thread... went to the cache page... and thought "what???? You're in Oregon for cryin out loud!" Every time I think I have "seen it all" something new pops up. What a waste.

All I can say is I hope the OP keeps his caches in perfect condition.

" I got guts and very thick skin"

Bet in a week you won't have a single cache left to find. NOT that I am suggesting anything to anyone... merely predicting.

I thought personal attacks wasn't allowed.

Where do you see a personal attack in there? And by the way, I think you mean "allowed." Unless you are suggesting that we should read the personal attacks silently.

The highlighted text sounds like a threat to his caches, then shortly later his caches get locked because of ill tempered people posting vulgar comments on his cache page. Wonder if the people posting the rude comments got action brought to them?

This is pretty much where I stand. I would have preferred it if people would have kept their anger to this thread and not taken it out on his caches, but when you mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Something tells me that the OP knew exactly what he was doing when he did it though. Which does not push me towards having any sympathy for him.

Actually they were logged by vulgar sock puppets. Not by anyone who would admit who they are. Coward.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was assuming that was the case. My bet is that it was the troll that keeps popping up here with sock puppet accounts. Just a slightly different way to stir up trouble.

This is pretty much where I stand. I would have preferred it if people would have kept their anger to this thread and not taken it out on his caches, but when you mess with the bull, you get the horns.

I don't think that we can conclude that whoever was messing with SFs caches was someone from the forums. It looked like he raised the ire of those watching the cache before he came into the forums to "gloat" about it.

Rather, just because someone decided to drive after 11pm, it doesn't mean they deserved to be attacked by a violent mob who are curiously obsessed with a curfew they invented in their imaginations.

The NA log wasn't a big deal. The mob mentality is disgusting.

just because folks posted their disagreement with the actions of the OP of this topic...does not make folks a mob. Obviously a few chowderheads took things too far, but just because the person got a little verbal backlash when he was practically begging for feedback on a touchy subject, does not mean everyone here is a mob.

(edited to put a missing verb in there)

Edited by lamoracke

The highlighted text sounds like a threat to his caches, then shortly later his caches get locked because of ill tempered people posting vulgar comments on his cache page. Wonder if the people posting the rude comments got action brought to them?

I think you're saying that perhaps some people upon reading the text you highlighted were magically hypnotized into performing an action that they normally wouldn't perform?

No.

Everyone is responsible for their own actions in this. Nobody did anything that they wouldn't have done otherwise.

just because folks posted their disagreement with the actions of the OP of this topic...does not make folks a mob. Obviously a few chowderheads took things too far, but just because the person got a little verbal backlash when he was practically begging for feedback on a touchy subject, does not everyone here is a mob.

A 4-page pile-on that has spilled over onto his cache pages looks like a mob to me.

Rather, just because someone decided to drive after 11pm, it doesn't mean they deserved to be attacked by a violent mob who are curiously obsessed with a curfew they invented in their imaginations.

The NA log was a jerk-like thing to do. The resulting actions were likewise jerk-like, but out of proportion to the initial jerk-like action. The jerk-like ratio is upside down, savvy?

just because folks posted their disagreement with the actions of the OP of this topic...does not make folks a mob. Obviously a few chowderheads took things too far, but just because the person got a little verbal backlash when he was practically begging for feedback on a touchy subject, does not everyone here is a mob.

A 4-page pile-on that has spilled over onto his cache pages looks like a mob to me.

Be fair. At least one page is a counter-pile-on. :rolleyes:

When you brag on a message board that you posted a NA on a cache that doesn't concern you. You are going to get a bunch of opinions. Just because most don't agree with the actions, doesn't make it a mob, it makes you in the minority. What happened to his cache pages was from one sock puppet, unless there has been more that I didn't know about. One person is a small mob.

Edited by M 5

I don't think that we can conclude that whoever was messing with SFs caches was someone from the forums. It looked like he raised the ire of those watching the cache before he came into the forums to "gloat" about it.

Good call. I hadn't looked that deep into it.

Lets keep this thread friendly, please.

My tongue is going to be bleeding by the time I'm done, but I'll keep it as friendly as possible.

Why in heaven's name would you post an NA on a geocache that isn't in your normal search area, that you haven't looked for, and that doesn't affect you in any possible way?

I'm all about geocachers being self-policing, and I don't hesitate to post an NA when it's needed. I fail to see why one was needed here. I think you stepped over a line.

+1

I read the opening thread... went to the cache page... and thought "what???? You're in Oregon for cryin out loud!" Every time I think I have "seen it all" something new pops up. What a waste.

All I can say is I hope the OP keeps his caches in perfect condition.

" I got guts and very thick skin"

Bet in a week you won't have a single cache left to find. NOT that I am suggesting anything to anyone... merely predicting.

I thought personal attacks wasn't allowed.

"Sorry, edited for my spelling error that the spelling teacher pointed out."

Perhaps you would care to point out just exactly what you are referring to.:blink: If this post was meant for me, which I assume it was.

Edited by NeecesandNephews

What I have seen in this thread, I would NOT describe even remotely as "mob mentality", although I have seen much of that in these forums. Here, I simply see agreement and anger, and I believe that was deliberately sought by the CO when starting the thread here. What do YOU see as his motive... cleaning up the world from abandoned virtuals?

Some of the posts in this thread was very well thought out and they voice their opinion(s)in a civil manner even I disagree with them strongly. The rest, I am not sure sure how I can say it so its best to leave that unsaid. <_<

I picked that cache because I want to see if those "special" caches get better treatment over some not so special caches when all caches are to been treated the same under the guideline.

I am sure GS uses that cache part of their sale pitch when they are asked where all the caches are. I dont think they will archived it, however, the guideline said the CO have to be on GC every month to keep that virtual alive. So let see if they will follow the guideline they wrote out for all of us to follow. If they wanna play wishy washing, thats fine with me.

I saw mention of those locked caches on another forum tonight as well, being interpreted as a punishment to the OP. However, I don't take that cynical viewpoint. I would say the caches were temporarily locked to keep the cache owner from having to deal with the obscene logs himself, and to keep the public from having to see them, until the actual source of the problem can be remedied. I'm guessint the "people" (person, actually, from what I saw) will get "action brought to them" if/when Groundspeak can identify them.

Some of the posts in this thread was very well thought out and they voice their opinion(s)in a civil manner even I disagree with them strongly. The rest, I am not sure sure how I can say it so its best to leave that unsaid. <_<

I picked that cache because I want to see if those "special" caches get better treatment over some not so special caches when all caches are to been treated the same under the guideline.

I am sure GS uses that cache part of their sale pitch when they are asked where all the caches are. I dont think they will archived it, however, the guideline said the CO have to be on GC every month to keep that virtual alive. So let see if they will follow the guideline they wrote out for all of us to follow. If they wanna play wishy washing, thats fine with me.

Site the passage please. I don't remember the 30 day thing but I have not payed much attention to virts.

I saw mention of those locked caches on another forum tonight as well, being interpreted as a punishment to the OP. However, I don't take that cynical viewpoint. I would say the caches were temporarily locked to keep the cache owner from having to deal with the obscene logs himself, and to keep the public from having to see them, until the actual source of the problem can be remedied. I'm guessint the "people" (person, actually, from what I saw) will get "action brought to them" if/when Groundspeak can identify them.

I agree. It was to protect the OP and others, not punish.

I have been watching this topic and agree that it shouldn't be archived. So last night I did a little sleuthing ~ yes, I grew up reading Nancy Drew (many years ago) & am a former LEO :) I located someone who I thought might know RSWrench. I sent off an email to this person last night in hopes they would know the whereabouts of the CO. I received a reply today! It turns out that the person I emailed is a close relative of the CO and they are going to forward my email to him. Hopefully he will log in and the cache will be saved from being archived. If I hear anything from him, I will post it here! Keep your fingers crossed!

Site the passage please. I don't remember the 30 day thing but I have not payed much attention to virts.

I did post it on the OP and I will post it again here. http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=308#grandfathered

Thank you.

Once again the guideline is flexible. It say should, not must. Either way it was a very petty thing to do. You obviously just wanted to stir up trouble.

So... you are admitting that this whole thing was a troll. Nice. Thanks for the experiment.

This is their site, their guidelines, and their company for which to make a profit. Yes... there is no secret that they keep some special caches alive for the sake of publicity. The space shuttle and deep sea vents are two examples. I wish that you had just asked. We would gladly have told you and you could have avoided all this angst.

I have been watching this topic and agree that it shouldn't be archived. So last night I did a little sleuthing ~ yes, I grew up reading Nancy Drew (many years ago) & am a former LEO :) I located someone who I thought might know RSWrench. I sent off an email to this person last night in hopes they would know the whereabouts of the CO. I received a reply today! It turns out that the person I emailed is a close relative of the CO and they are going to forward my email to him. Hopefully he will log in and the cache will be saved from being archived. If I hear anything from him, I will post it here! Keep your fingers crossed!

Nice job! If the CO logs in, we know who we can thank.

Edited by lamoracke

Hopefully very well done! :D

cSorry I posted a response earlier before reading to the end of the thread. So let me add just a bit to it. I will try to be polite, succinct, and within the Moderators accepted limits.

Joranda if you believe I posted that comment you quoted and highlited as a threat, you are mistaken. I was merely predicting that SwineFlew's actions were going to trigger an unpleasant response.

I was correct.

I got home from work late, and stopped to grab a cache on the way, so I missed all the posts to his caches. I have not looked but prior comments in this thread indicate they were vulgar, and the caches have been "cloroxed" and locked.

I am not at all surprised, even though it further adds to my dissappointment in the behavior of others in this group. OP included. (Fizzy could not have said it better in his post)

To further my response to your posts I will state my amusement that in 175+ posts you chose mine to "front out".

Well let me just say... I have read some of your posts on that waste of server space, wanna-be "open" website and I can read what you are all about.

If you look to provoke me into an argument, you chose the wrong poster. You are going to have to dangle a little more enticing "bait" to get me to go there. I won't waste my time.

And while you did not name me directly, I fear absolutely nothing from Groundspeak over posts to caches I DID NOT make. They have the capability to locate ISP's so if you are even remotely insinuating I had a hand in that, Groundspeak knows better, and I couldn't give a flip what you think. And if any of the OP's caches should mysteriously come up missing... I would point out that I am in Oklahoma and... well... his caches arent.

Having said that... that is all I have to say to you sir. Thanks!:D

edit speeling

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Seems to me that the vast majority of posters to this thread have been of the opinion that the OP did something that was uncalled for and the posters are disappointed. There appear to be one or more cachers who may or may not have some association with the cache or this thread who have posted inappropriate logs on one or more caches. I see no "mob" here. I see passion and interest in the game. Whoever posted to the caches listed by the OP is clearly in the wrong. Those who have posted in this thread are doing nothing more or less than what the OP asked for and likely expected and hoped for.

OK, they are crossed. ;)

19139-keep_fingers_crossed.jpg

------------------------------

Why? Because we like You.

------------------------------

You could have just asked in the forums without actually trying it. That's like trying to find out if the neighbors would be more mad if you ran over one of their pet dogs versus some raccoon by actually going out and running over one of their dogs.

What if the CO log on and the archived the cache himself?

What if they log on and spoil your little experiment. Have another ready?

You could have just asked in the forums without actually trying it. That's like trying to find out if the neighbors would be more mad if you ran over one of their pet dogs versus some raccoon by actually going out and running over one of their dogs.

:lol:

Are you trying to make a point?

Whatif by Shel Silverstein

Last night, while I lay thinking here,

some Whatifs crawled inside my ear

and pranced and partied all night long

and sang their same old Whatif song:

Whatif I'm dumb in school?

Whatif they've closed the swimming pool?

Whatif I get beat up?

Whatif there's poison in my cup?

Whatif I start to cry?

Whatif I get sick and die?

Whatif I flunk that test?

Whatif green hair grows on my chest?

Whatif nobody likes me?

Whatif a bolt of lightning strikes me?

Whatif I don't grow talle?

Whatif my head starts getting smaller?

Whatif the fish won't bite?

Whatif the wind tears up my kite?

Whatif they start a war?

Whatif my parents get divorced?

Whatif the bus is late?

Whatif my teeth don't grow in straight?

Whatif I tear my pants?

Whatif I never learn to dance?

Everything seems well, and then

the nighttime Whatifs strike again!

Then your selfish little experiment will be a complete no-win situation. The caching community will lose a wonderful bucket list worthy cache and you will never find out if Groundspeak likes him more than you. Congratulations.

Then your selfish little experiment will be a complete no-win situation. The caching community will lose a wonderful bucket list worthy cache and you will never find out if Groundspeak likes him more than you. Congratulations.

I will take that even one step further: we might even start responding to some other threads in this forum!

Disclaimer: At no point was I advocating that anyone should run over any dog, especially ones wearing glasses.

You my friend are finding out what I already know. I call it the Golden Rule. If Groundspeak wanted us to police this site they would give us a badge. I'm a guilty party of posting NA's on ownerless caches. I also let a family member use my IP address to post NA logs on ownerless caches with THEIR account, which is now locked because of all the trouble it started. I requested the account to be locked because it looked like a sock puppet account from my IP address. I was also told that there were 9 more accounts connected, but when I asked, it became a "privacy issue". My IP address correct?

I don't think that what you did was random, you knew it would make some users mad. Now you see how nasty this "family sport" is. I don't think that we can find a better site than what we have here. I am a user on that other site too. When we see things that we do not agree with, or are against the guidelines, if we report this we are seen as trouble makers. And the angery mob turns against us.

See what they can do? They got your caches locked with their protests of vulgar comments. Who is next? Never mind the rules, shut up and geocache or your account will be locked. Is this what I paid to be a PM for?

Sorry I missed the start of this thread. So...coming in late.

This isn't a typical virtual.

Great, then Groundspeak won't archive it. Otherwise, if it doesn't meet the requirements it should be archived. If you don't agree with the requirements take it up with Groundspeak.

I'm about to pull trigger on a couple Virtuals myself. Feel free to make the case.

So... you are admitting that this whole thing was a troll. Nice. Thanks for the experiment.

This is their site, their guidelines, and their company for which to make a profit. Yes... there is no secret that they keep some special caches alive for the sake of publicity. The space shuttle and deep sea vents are two examples. I wish that you had just asked. We would gladly have told you and you could have avoided all this angst.

Oh great, thanks SwineFlew. I don't really need a life. I love having to spend all day in the forums and tending to the hornets you kicked. It is really tough for me at work right now since we have a lot going, but who cares. It is all about you and your little experiment, eh? Right. Now you admit that you are testing Groundspeak to boot? Oh yeah, nice. Dadgummed if they don't archive it, dadgummed if they do archive it.

Epic fail.

Some of the posts in this thread was very well thought out and they voice their opinion(s)in a civil manner even I disagree with them strongly. The rest, I am not sure sure how I can say it so its best to leave that unsaid. dry.gif

You my friend are finding out what I already know. I call it the Golden Rule. If Groundspeak wanted us to police this site they would give us a badge. I'm a guilty party of posting NA's on ownerless caches. I also let a family member use my IP address to post NA logs on ownerless caches with THEIR account, which is now locked because of all the trouble it started. I requested the account to be locked because it looked like a sock puppet account from my IP address. I was also told that there were 9 more accounts connected, but when I asked, it became a "privacy issue". My IP address correct?

I don't think that what you did was random, you knew it would make some users mad. Now you see how nasty this "family sport" is. I don't think that we can find a better site than what we have here. I am a user on that other site too. When we see things that we do not agree with, or are against the guidelines, if we report this we are seen as trouble makers. And the angery mob turns against us.

See what they can do? They got your caches locked with their protests of vulgar comments. Who is next? Never mind the rules, shut up and geocache or your account will be locked. Is this what I paid to be a PM for?

Wow. Such sillieness.

cSorry I posted a response earlier before reading to the end of the thread. So let me add just a bit to it. I will try to be polite, succinct, and within the Moderators accepted limits.

Joranda if you believe I posted that comment you quoted and highlited as a threat, you are mistaken. I was merely predicting that SwineFlew's actions were going to trigger an unpleasant response.

I was correct.

I got home from work late, and stopped to grab a cache on the way, so I missed all the posts to his caches. I have not looked but prior comments in this thread indicate they were vulgar, and the caches have been "cloroxed" and locked.

I am not at all surprised, even though it further adds to my dissappointment in the behavior of others in this group. OP included. (Fizzy could not have said it better in his post)

To further my response to your posts I will state my amusement that in 175+ posts you chose mine to "front out".

Well let me just say... I have read some of your posts on that waste of server space, wanna-be "open" website and I can read what you are all about.

If you look to provoke me into an argument, you chose the wrong poster. You are going to have to dangle a little more enticing "bait" to get me to go there. I won't waste my time.

And while you did not name me directly, I fear absolutely nothing from Groundspeak over posts to caches I DID NOT make. They have the capability to locate ISP's so if you are even remotely insinuating I had a hand in that, Groundspeak knows better, and I couldn't give a flip what you think. And if any of the OP's caches should mysteriously come up missing... I would point out that I am in Oklahoma and... well... his caches arent.

Having said that... that is all I have to say to you sir. Thanks!:D

edit speeling

Even my kids know when you use the term like that it is the "bad" word. Sorry I upset you so much. It wasn't my intent. I don't think I dangled anything, it just looked like a threat to his caches which is still wrong. Have a great evening sir.

Disclaimer: At no point was I advocating that anyone should run over any dog, especially ones wearing glasses.

We both thank you.

Oh great, thanks SwineFlew. I don't really need a life. I love having to spend all day in the forums and tending to the hornets you kicked. It is really tough for me at work right now since we have a lot going, but who cares. It is all about you and your little experiment, eh? Right. Now you admit that you are testing Groundspeak to boot? Oh yeah, nice. Dadgummed if they don't archive it, dadgummed if they do archive it.

Epic fail.

Some days, the Groundspeak reviewers and moderators carry a heavy load, and many of us appreciate it.

It can't be easy.

Scratch puppymonster behind the ears for a few minutes, and it will be ok. :)

Well, it will be ok for puppymonster, anyway. You may still have to carry the heavy load.