Mardi Gras Masquerade Multi Event

avroair

47e77b27-f3f6-48d1-b845-c772e8dd62ef.jpg

There are a number of the Mardi Gras Masquerade events going on in late February and early March. I was asked to post pictures, but I don't have all the versions so I decided to start a thread instead. I do have some of the samples:

1b1a5ce7-a8c9-45de-85e0-71324517630f.jpg

wow! and how does one acquire these coins if there is no event nearby?! and is there a list somewhere of the event locations? maybe something in socal?

lara

are all the events already set up? does each event have its own coin?

Yes, each event has it's own coin (some will have two versions):

1. Seattle, Washington

2. Carolinas (North \ South)

3. California (Bay Area)

4. Minnesota

5. Michigan

6. Pittsburgh, PA

7. Texas, (Dallas)

8. Utah, (Salt Lake City)

There are no opportunities for other events at this time since the mint is taking a long time to make the coin and we need them by mid-February.

Like other Multi events each event has a limited number of their own version (the coins are expensive). There will also be a version for the February geoswag coin of the month, and a version on Geoswag.com

1. Seattle, Washington

3. California (Bay Area)

4. Minnesota

5. Michigan

6. Pittsburgh, PA

7. Texas, (Dallas)

There are no opportunities for other events at this time since the mint is taking a long time to make the coin and we need them by mid-February.

Like other Multi events each event has a limited number of their own version (the coins are expensive). There will also be a version for the February geoswag coin of the month, and a version on Geoswag.com

ah that's too bad. i would have loved to have known about this back in the planning stage - when was that?

Nice looking coin - will keep an eye out for them when they come out.

I'd started designing one quite similar to this (but without the collar) after a trip to Venice last summer, as I hadn't seen any Venetian Mask coins yet and hoped it would have been unique :mellow: . Might have to make some changes to it now so they aren't too similar.

IMG_2064smll.jpg

Edited by CW88

This design is awesome! :DB)

I've seen the mint plueprint for one version previously, but had no idea that it was being set up as a multi event with several versions of coins.

I am a huge Mardi Gras fan and have been lucky enough to attend for the last 20+ years, whether it be riding in the parades or attending the festivities on Bourbon Street (I'd love to tell stories, but what happens at Mardi Gras, stays at Mardi Gras!)

There is no way I would be able to attend any of the geo-events, as I also own a Mardi Gras Bead business, that keeps me on my toes for at least 6-8 weeks leading up to Mardi Gras. I would however like to try and aquire each version of this coin.

Having said that, I would like to let all event hosts know that I would be interested in puchasing or trading a coin from them. I may even be able to help get some Mardi Gras Swag to you for your event. Please contact me through my profile if you are interested in helping me aquire this set of coins or looking for Mardi Gras themed swag.

is the pittsburgh event being hosted by the dragons? Not an event or event coin I want to miss...

IMG_0002_NEW-2-2.jpg

Look familiar :) ?

IMG_0001_NEW-1-2.jpg

I anyone gets an extra, I would like to trade or purchase one of each event coin...I don't generally try to collect different version of the same coin, but this will most certainly be an exception for personal reasons.

ILYK

I don't recall ever seeing a thread for this project in the past. Was an secret invite only kind of deal?

i was wondering the same thing. who makes the decisions on what areas multi-events will be held and why is the process not more public. i know socal and folks in vegas would have loved to be part of something cool like this.

and it seems if one is not at an event, nor a geocoin club member, ebay will be the only way to get a coin. that makes this late-date announcement suspect, as a way to hype up a coin many people would like to have and thus raising the auction price.

i hate stuff like this.

rather like who decides where the geocoin fests will be? is there some "group" that makes those decisions? Groundspeak?

lara

WOW!!! what a lovely coin!!!! there are many color combinations I like, but no money in my wallet...

can I ask something? I knowit is too late now, but... was there a possibility that the eyes in the mask to be cut out? I mean to be holes... like a real mask??? I can understand that this would change a little the back side of the coin... but I have the feeling that it would had been nice...and would had given more reality to the mask. :)

Of course I do not know if making such a small cut out is possible!

or... if the mask would be with cut off eye holes and.. on the back side... to see the inner of the mask... I know I am not very clear to what I mean...

well.. if we take a mask... on the back side the mask is going in... so our face can fit... right? that is what I am saying.. and I am talking only fir the mask... in the face area!

but then the back side... where you would put the name and the tracking number.... hmm...

... Of course I am not saying that I do not like it as it is, It is an amazing coin and I love the whole idea and design.... I just have crazy ideas again! :lol:

I don't recall ever seeing a thread for this project in the past. Was this a secret invite only kind of deal?

Not really, I invited all the hosts from the 10 10 10 events. Some declined, others didn't respond. Due to the technical complexity of the coin I wanted 'veterans' to host the events (they also cost a pretty penny due to size, two-toning option, gems, cutouts etc. Each event should be complete with Mardi Gras Masks! :D For those of you not able to attend an event Geoswag will have a version. Also, the geoswag club coin for February will be a different version (I haven't seen the colors for that one). I believe there are a total of 13 (or 14?) versions... since California, Seattle, Michigan and Texas will have two color schemes in limited quantities.

... I believe there are a total of 13 (or 14?) versions... since California, Seattle, Michigan and Texas will have two color schemes in limited quantities.

but again, if one can't attend an event because it is not close geographically, then the only other option is the version from geoswag and ebay. as for hosting, one doesn't become a veteran unless one has a chance to host.

so while there maybe 13-14 versions made in limited quantities, only one, via geoswag, will be available to the general coin buying public other than auction. is that right?

This is a really good looking event coin!!! I definitely would like to get one... especially in a Purple, Green & Gold combination.

Any pics of the California version/versions?

It says "This event is being put on in conjunction with 7 others Masquerade events around the world." under GC2KCR6

I've only seen US events listed so far. Are there other secret events listed outside the US? :ph34r:

Any one know the secret hand shake to get invited to the secret "9th" event?

I've only seen US events listed so far. Are there other secret events listed outside the US?

The international hosts declined to do an event (England, Germany, Holland, Czech Republic, Portugal), so they will all be US based. There's nothing secret about the events, they have been posted. People who have hosted 888 or 999 events were asked if they wanted to do another. Many opted out since it was different and the coin is expensive. Others never responded. The 888, 999, 10 years and 10 10 10 events (as well as 11 11 11) have all been openly posted in the forums... many chances to be a 'veteran'.

rather like who decides where the geocoin fests will be? is there some "group" that makes those decisions?

Yes, hosts of previous GCFs.

I've only seen US events listed so far. Are there other secret events listed outside the US?

The international hosts declined to do an event (England, Germany, Holland, Czech Republic, Portugal), so they will all be US based. There's nothing secret about the events, they have been posted. People who have hosted 888 or 999 events were asked if they wanted to do another. Many opted out since it was different and the coin is expensive. Others never responded. The 888, 999, 10 years and 10 10 10 events (as well as 11 11 11) have all been openly posted in the forums... many chances to be a 'veteran'.

rather like who decides where the geocoin fests will be? is there some "group" that makes those decisions?

Dam if only I knew about it, Portugal would never decline it ;)keep me inform for the next time please!

I don't recall ever seeing a thread for this project in the past. Was this a secret invite only kind of deal?

Not really, I invited all the hosts from the 10 10 10 events. Some declined, others didn't respond. Due to the technical complexity of the coin I wanted 'veterans' to host the events (they also cost a pretty penny due to size, two-toning option, gems, cutouts etc. Each event should be complete with Mardi Gras Masks! :D For those of you not able to attend an event Geoswag will have a version. Also, the geoswag club coin for February will be a different version (I haven't seen the colors for that one). I believe there are a total of 13 (or 14?) versions... since California, Seattle, Michigan and Texas will have two color schemes in limited quantities.

Texas will only have one color scheme.

I didn't receive an invite - or perhaps it went to spam...:( very disappointed I didn't get a chance to participate. Oh well, maybe next time.

I didn't receive an invite - or perhaps it went to spam...:( very disappointed I didn't get a chance to participate. Oh well, maybe next time.

I did receive an invite but elected not to participate in this project being too busy with MOGA projects.. I have enjoyed following the process tho. :) The coins look totally fab!

CF30

Thanks for clearing things up.

Speaking of 11 11 11 events. Any news on the start of the event Geocoin?

I've been working on an 11-11-11 coin (though not an event coin) but not planning on having them made till around July/Aug.

Will make a new topic for them soon but waiting till I get the samples.

Just curious was I sent an invite? as I never received anything, having done both 999 and 101010 events, as I say just asking.

Version A and version F are going to be the California versions. :) It will be cohosted by myself and Vanelle!

I *love* the colors of version A! Those are the colors of the krewe that my sister (Aunt Da) is a member of in Alexandria, LA. Would it be possible for me to get one for her if you have an extra?

is the pittsburgh event being hosted by the dragons? Not an event or event coin I want to miss...

IMG_0002_NEW-2-2.jpg

Look familiar :) ?

IMG_0001_NEW-1-2.jpg

I anyone gets an extra, I would like to trade or purchase one of each event coin...I don't generally try to collect different version of the same coin, but this will most certainly be an exception for personal reasons.

ILYK

Yup, we are hosting the Pgh one...now that the holidaze are over, I have time to secure a location to host it. I'll post that info when I have it. Until then, here is the coin art.

bb43ea5a-cf3b-4694-9210-0310b8ee668f.jpg

1. Seattle, Washington

3. California (Bay Area)

4. Minnesota

5. Michigan

6. Pittsburgh, PA

7. Texas, (Dallas)

Very surprising that there is no event in Louisiana -- the one place most famous for Mardi Gras.

:) What a fantastic coin I'm glad that I'll secure one from the GC&P club. Ki really likes the F version and I the A and my two favorite ladies anne & vanelle are combining a duel event, I'm sure they will sell out but if you don't; keep me in mind :) pretty please :D Edited by kini_ont

1. Seattle, Washington

3. California (Bay Area)

4. Minnesota

5. Michigan

6. Pittsburgh, PA

7. Texas, (Dallas)

Very surprising that there is no event in Louisiana -- the one place most famous for Mardi Gras.

Most folks I know in La. that would host an event to meet the late Feb/early March timeframe criteria for this project are too busy doing other things with Mardi Gras besides geo-events. :huh:

As much as I love Mardi Gras, hosting events and caching, there is no way I could do it. Which is why I didn't mention anything about being part of the 10 years group project, yet I didn't get an invite for this one...:blink:

Now if a group coin for Easter, 4th of July or any other holiday peeked anyones interests, I'd consider hosting one of those...:D

ok, could someone define "pricey"? that's the only thing I've seen mentioned about the price of this coin.

I ask because I've been working on what I can stuff into and offer in a medium flat rate box to anyone interested in Mardi Gras swag for their event. Although I primarily deal in specialty beads,(800+ different design styles) I do have tons of throw beads and can get around 200 in a box. I was thinking just putting a gross(12 dozen) together with some other swag and offering it for those interested. That should be more than enough beads to supply your event!

Again, please email me if interested!

I took a couple extra pics of some items I had handy for anyone interested in more than throw beads. Way too much to list or show pics of here, but I can answer any questions by contacting me through an email

e131040c-7070-4998-8f73-b5553c69e1b9.jpg

7fd4d07e-32f6-45dd-ad76-811d1218d949.jpg

f150b716-56a5-4a23-9f25-38b3deda6ffa.jpg

ae79c493-3061-4d16-afd5-72fd4e434925.jpg

Prices haven't been mentioned because it's still being worked out. The price per coin varied quite a bit based on what options people took, but the cost was close to twice what the 10-10-10 coins cost. The numbers being thrown around are $12-$15/coin to at least give you guys a ballpark. Hopefully I don't get in trouble from the other organizers for announcing that. :)