What’s the record for most days before there’s an FTF?

gworol

My personal record was 6 months. In April of '08, I hosted a paddle CITO down a local river/spring. One of the attendees hid a cache along the way, Salty Proliferation. I decided to hold off on hunting it, as I knew there were locals who cared about the whole FTF thing. In November of '08 I grew weary of waiting, and went in search of. While, technically, my paddling partner got to the cache before I did, it was still kind of a FTF for me.

There is GC989E "SK Extreme 01" (a virtual) that was placed in July 2002 and has not been found yet - over 8 years now. Lets see, 8 years at 365 days a year is 2920 days, kick in couple for leap years and add another 100 to get to November, and that is over 3000 days so far and counting.

Some of the local cachers keep saying they want to plan an expedition to go get it, but so far .......

In NZ, an Earthcache placed/published May 2008, Glacial Recession: Ivory lake. A D/T of 3/5.

As it is a week's walk there and back, off-track into the wilderness and the cache rules stipulate a clear photo of the mountains (mountains without clouds?), I don't see many takers soon.

Well, the part about requiring a clear photo of the mountains can be ignored because it's an ALR.

From the earthcache guidelines part 6, "While photographs may be requested, they do not take the place of other logging requirements. Taking a photograph alone or asking people to do internet research does NOT meet these logging guidelines. Requests for specific content in the photograph (must include the visitor's face, for example) will be considered an additional logging requirement and must be optional. Cache owners may not delete the cache seeker's log based solely on optional tasks."

That, however, still leaves the issue of the week long hike to get there.

This one was one I got a FTF on it was on the Pacific Crest Trail was out there nearly 2 years before I snagged the FTF

OOPS !! my mistake I was looking at the palced date was Published in July 09 found in Feb 2010 & months or so not bad.

GC1W30H

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

There is GC989E "SK Extreme 01" (a virtual) that was placed in July 2002 and has not been found yet - over 8 years now. Lets see, 8 years at 365 days a year is 2920 days, kick in couple for leap years and add another 100 to get to November, and that is over 3000 days so far and counting.

Some of the local cachers keep saying they want to plan an expedition to go get it, but so far .......

Wowza - 4/5 D/T virtual. Looks awesome!

Wasn't there one in South America (Bolivia? Argentina?) that was placed late in 2000 or early 2001 that still had yet to have a logged find? I seem to remember hearing about one that was quite old and there was debate as to whether or not it was even valid.

This one took over 5 years to get a find and has not had a 2TF.

Is it bad form to reply to your own post? :blink:

Here is the one I was thinking of. Looks like it was put out to pasture.

To answer the original question, the most days before FTF (that would assume there has actually been an FTF) would most likely be Oh So Blue, already mentioned. The various old never-found caches are in various states of dubiousness; the longer they've been out the field, the less likely they are to still exist. (Except maybe for that virtual.)

Just today I DNFTF'd two caches that dated back three years - keeping my losing streak going strong - but I still have two more to check out of a similar vintage (though I might not bother with one) before I return to my home continent.

Old FTFs are quite hard to get in North America. If you're willing to climb a mountain, not so hard.

GCDFB was hidden in June 2001 and is still unfound.

Yeah, that one was archived earlier this year after it finally got its first DNF.

Oops. Looks like I provided a bad link. That link goes to GCD30

To complete the tangent, here's the oldest unfound list:

23 Jun 01 4.5lb Walleye by Jamie Matear (GCDFB) Ontario, Canada

10 Jul 01 Conch Shell Horn by Jeffrey Courrier (GC105E) Venezuela

28 Jul 01 Nikolay-Kam by Nikolay-Kam (GC14C3) Russia

12 Aug 01 Mount Temple by MCpl. Paul Franklin, MCpl. J. Pawsey (GC1607) Alberta, Canada

Edited by sdarken

I'm watching this one to see what lucky person will be FTF. Check it out, I think it's gonna be a while! Someone has actually tried to claim FTF by using a staged photograph and the help of a sympathetic astronaut, but don't you think the astronaut who assisted in this endeavor should just create a geocaching account and have done with it?

GC1BE91

This thread is kind of the official "oldest unfound cache" thread

The conclusion is that 4.5lb Walleye is the current oldest unfound cache. One guy has treid to find it a couple of times, but didn't manage to get to GZ.

This is correct. It's a husband and wife team though, and it's definitely the wife who takes multiple trips to the nearest village, but has never made it to the cache site. I don't know them or anything, but that's clear from the logs, and believe me, I've been watching that cache for years. I'm betting she never gets there. Someone needs to organize an excursion to this one. Maybe even hire a guide. <_<

I got one that had gone eight days, I don’t think the instant notification went out on it and it was in a rural area.

My personal record is 57 days; but I tend to wait for FTFs that are not found for a while. I think I have almost 60 that were out 5 days or more before I was FTF.

Waiting to let the "FTF hounds" DNF it a few times is quite satisfying.

I got one that had gone eight days, I don’t think the instant notification went out on it and it was in a rural area.

There is a new one now that is at 20 days as of 11/16/10.

I have one thats gone 3 months unfound.

not any more. jcanyoneer got it 5 months after this post.

I have no idea what the record is but I was FTF on a cache that had been in place 6 months. I had no idea. I opened it up and saw a blank logbook and thought "Oh the owner must have just replaced the logbook". Then I found a FTF prize. The cache was in the an Adirondack wilderness area and was a 12 mile hike one way, or an all day paddle up river. I had taken the paddle route.

LuckyT, EskoClimber and myself found a 5/5 in the Black Hills that was 2,693 days old. Placed 5/13/2002 - Found 9/26/2009. I believe it is the oldest (Placed date to Found date) 5/5 found to date. Please note the other finder signed the log before it was placed, she was with the cache owner.

"Buzzard Drop Cache" GC57F9

i just put one up my ___, you go find it...

it is just as rediculus as the reviewers who actually approve and puplish such compleetly crasy things..

a cache should be designed to be found, not nessesary by ALL people, but some only by geocaching entusiasts,

if a cache is not found in 1-2 years, let the system auto archive it, since it do not offer any fun for anyone,

waste of bytes..

if a cache is not found in 1-2 years, let the system auto archive it, since it do not offer any fun for anyone,

waste of bytes..

I disagree. What advantage is there to auto-archiving a cache like Siege Perilous just because it hasn't been found in 5 years? Sure, if there are real problems, treat it like any other cache: have the reviewer disable it, post a reviewer note, and eventually archive it if the CO doesn't fix it. But there is no advantage to auto-archiving lonely caches.

...if a cache is not found in 1-2 years, let the system auto archive it, since it do not offer any fun for anyone,

waste of bytes..

It offers an enormous amount of fun to the one who does eventually find it after all of that time, and, as evidenced by this thread, it offers fun to all of the people watching it and waiting to see who will be the first to find.

>it offers fun to all of the people watching it and waiting to see who will be the first to find.

maybe this is why some people like to look at sports on the TV and not perform it them self ?

I was sure this problem was not going to have any effect on geocachers, since they like to perform their sport or hobby them self

and care less about what others do and how.. just too bad I was wrong,

Sorry no live TV from the 5/5 and 3/3 we did today, that was REAL fun for us, we did it, and live to tell..

-----

>You're a class act, Thomas.

thanks Christian, you are welcome :-)

I think you, just like me, prefer real adventures, real caches waiting to be found, by real normal avarage people..

I lost so much for Groundspeak when they released the ISS cache, it just made me think it is all one big joke to them,

or the cache down the sea 2300 meters down.. one more joke.. not a funny one to me..

maybe this is why some people like to look at sports on the TV and not perform it them self ?

I was sure this problem was not going to have any effect on geocachers, since they like to perform their sport or hobby them self

and care less about what others do and how.. just too bad I was wrong,

Appreciating other people's accomplishments is not a problem. Go have a beer and come back when you're in a better mood.

There is a new one now that is at 20 days as of 11/16/10.

Really, the question is about what caches have gone unfound for the longest time. There are many caches I have seen in many places that are old and unfound. Come to think of it, there are many opportunities to find an unfound cache up here in Alaska.

Thomas, I was more referring to your comment on hiding the cache up your...whatever. But in response to your comment:

I think you, just like me, prefer real adventures, real caches waiting to be found, by real normal avarage people..

I absolutely prefer real adventures. One of my favorites was hiking through snow and being the first person to find this cache in five and a half years. There wasn't anything wrong with it, it was in perfect condition. It just hadn't been found; for whatever reason, only eight cachers have bothered to make the hike for it in ten years.

If we had an auto archive rule like you propose, I never would have known about it.

That's the most extreme example I've got, but I could give you other caches I've found that had been sitting idle for a year or more, usually at the end of a hike or tough puzzle caches. All that means is that others have been too lazy to bother figuring out the coordinates or getting to the cache -- it isn't an indication thatthe cache should be archived.

well well ok maybe I did over do it a bit,

but to create caches that are designed only NOT to be found,

is what drives me mad, it is not even funny,

sure some thinks hey, cool lets put it on watch, so what..

anyone could create a cache that is close to impossible to be found,

write geocache on a piece of sand, with letters only visible using an electron microscope

throw it on the beach.. have fun.. newer found in 1000 years, you win, I loose..

get the point.. if not, goto ISS and sign the log..