leaving swag in micros

so ive been leaving a lot of spare change in micros, pennies fit nicely in those bright orange ones, and dimes fit pretty nicely in bison tubes, im not sure if this is a good or bad idea, but who cares, i think its a neat way to leave something besides a log in a cache, then the next person who finds it can be a little richer.

someone left those just add water sponge capsules in one here, i dont know how they fared in the rainy florida weather, and someone else left some sort of beans, but since food is a bad idea, ....

i was just wondering what you all have come across in micros besides just a log? this way those who sort of hate micros, can still enjoy them, because they have prizes in them.

so ive been leaving a lot of spare change in micros, pennies fit nicely in those bright orange ones, and dimes fit pretty nicely in bison tubes, im not sure if this is a good or bad idea, but who cares, i think its a neat way to leave something besides a log in a cache, then the next person who finds it can be a little richer.

someone left those just add water sponge capsules in one here, i dont know how they fared in the rainy florida weather, and someone else left some sort of beans, but since food is a bad idea, ....

i was just wondering what you all have come across in micros besides just a log? this way those who sort of hate micros, can still enjoy them, because they have prizes in them.

Is your goal to make every cache the type of cache you enjoy?

In a group activity like this, different people will enjoy different types of caches. Trying to make them all the type *you* enjoy is extremely selfish.

Is your goal to make every cache the type of cache you enjoy?

Does adding a small coin to a film can suddenly change it from a traditional to a puzzle? Multi? Wherigo? ;)

How can doing something to expand the enjoyment of others change what type of cache it is? :)

Har har. :laughing: You know what I meant.

Bison tubes come in various sizes. The "Scuba Tank" size (sold by Groundspeak as a "Micro-Cache Capsule") and the "Extra Large" size can hold small trade items easily.

Regarding the original question, I leave my trackable sig tokens in any cache big enough to hold them. If the cache is too small to hold the sig token and close properly, then I keep that sig token moving (to the next cache that is big enough to hold it).

There's a guy around here that makes those "dimeon pins" and leaves them in every cache he finds. I have a cache that is a bison tube hidden in a fake rock. There wasn't room in the bison tube, but he put the pin in the fake rock next to the bison tube. I have also seen coins and things in film can caches. I don't leave anything, but I have put travel bugs / geocoins in micros if they fit.

Nearly all of my first micros contained swag. There is nothing wrong with placing swag in micros. I still do once in a while. I recently found a $5 bill rolled up tightly with the log in a nano of mine when I archived it. A pleasant surprise.

If you have small items that you can leave in micros, go for it. Trading is a big part of this game for many. Just don't try to stuff things in so tight that it makes things difficult for others.

As far as people who "hate micros" I think their "hatred" stems more from the location than what they find or don't find inside.

We found a lot of micros before we found the first one that didn't have swag in it. In fact, it was kind of neat looking for micro swag. I even created a micro travelbug. Nothing wrong with putting swag in any sized container.

Too much swag to close the container is a separate issue from the size of the container. We've come across regular sized caches that had too much stuff in it.

Bison tubes come in various sizes. The "Scuba Tank" size (sold by Groundspeak as a "Micro-Cache Capsule") and the "Extra Large" size can hold small trade items easily.

Yes, I know that... I have one of those "Scuba Tank" ones myself. But that is not what one thinks of when they hear the generic term, "bison tube". I'm reasonably sure we all think of the much more common, much smaller one.

There is nothing wrong with placing swag in micros. I still do once in a while. I recently found a $5 bill rolled up tightly with the log in a nano of mine when I archived it. A pleasant surprise. "hate micros" I think their "hatred" stems more from the location than what they find or don't find inside.

So if you take a $5 bill, do you leave a $5 bill (or perhaps a $10 bill)? (Trade even, trade up) :laughing:

Edited by Lone R

Some I find with pathtags, which are acceptable, small signature beads, which are also acceptable, but coins, why?

Honestly, keep your pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters out of caches - they aren't vending machines for you to take swag out of and put coins into.

Never place an item in a cache, of any size, if it prevents the cache closing properly and endangering the other contents of the cache, most importantly the log!

There's nothing wrong with trade swag in caches, including in micros. If it fits it's fine.

On the other hand this game has never been about money and money certainly wouldn't be considered a trade item (Excepting rare coins and the like as trade items).

Some people leave a 'prize' for the First To Find but even then it's usually an item, not cash.

You've several times now mentioned that you are contributing to the game by leaving cash in caches. In fact no one caches for cash... you would help the game far more by leaving interesting trade items that cachers want to trade for.

hmmm...

several people have posted on here they have left and found cash in caches,

although i didnt think about the coins corroding over time, but dont they only tend to corrode when exposed to the elements?

I never mentioned leaving so much swag in any container that it couldnt close properly, so im not sure why that was pinned towards me,

i didnt know there were different sized bison tubes, ive found several different sized nanos in the past few days, but i didnt know they were all bison tubes, you learn something new every day,

i feel like leaving only a log, in say a lampskirt, is more letterboxing than geocaching, sure there is a physical container, but because there is no swag, its really just a letter you are leaving, course im sure some people who havent yet put me on ignore, will ream me for this

i never said it was an integral part of the game to leave cash, but cash is a nice small thing to leave in something that takes work to find, and since nanos and micros in crappy easy locations are not worth much to me, im leaving what i thought the search was worth, if i ever get out to the woods, to find some really difficult micros, i really liked, i may leave larger amounts, or things i think are really cool, because i appreciated the hunt, and i never said it was the only thing i leave in return, i leave lots of good swag, ive got a box full of good stuff to leave in the propper sized containers, but rarely do i come across stuff small enough to fit in a bison tube and still be able to close the darn thing. so coins were an option, and i was merely asking if it was acceptable, what the pros and cons were, and if it had been done before.

if you still feel im trolling, report me, ignore me, do whatever you want its your life,

ive just been really excited the past few days, and gung ho on caching, and i love internet forums, when i have the free time to post on them.

i am not trying to brag about leaving money in caches, i dont think i could afford to leave that much, so no worries, i feel im donating to the game by leaving a dollar as my ftf in my hides, (which i have plenty more, just working on getting the proper permission from the landowners, and managers) and i like finding things besides just a log in micros, thats how I LIKE to play the game. Im not soliciting others to do the same, and im asking questions on the forum and following peoples advice if their advice makes sense. for example....

*leaving swag in micros is acceptable, if it does not protrude out of the casing, and cause damage to the cache or the log,

* leaving money as swag is acceptable, and a nice benefit for the ftf'ers, but it is not the sole purpose of the game

*if the money left ruins the log it was an unacceptable swag item, and should be removed

im not sure why people are saying stuff like.....

"If your goal is to jam the micros full of stuff so they can't be closed properly and the log gets soaking wet, well done."

Which i never mentioned, and im not sure why it was assumed i am out to trash caches, if that were the case dont you think ide be in a geo-smashing group of sorts? have you checked my cache finds recently? my logs?

or

"Is your goal to make every cache the type of cache you enjoy?

In a group activity like this, different people will enjoy different types of caches. Trying to make them all the type *you* enjoy is extremely selfish."

im only adding to the game, not taking anything from it, im not sure how that is selfish. if the owner doesnt like it, (and i log i put it in there) they can remove it, if the next cacher(s) dont like it they can remove it, does that make them selfish? you cant tell me you never took a good swag item and replaced it with a crap one. is that selfish?

"Most micros are meant for the log only because of how they seal. Especially in Florida, where it is very wet, I would advise against doing this. Also, coins corrode in some caches because of dampness, especially pennies."

it states on your page you are living in Oregon, ive been there, have you ever been to florida? do you actually live here? how often do you cache in florida, how many have you found? if the inside of the cache is getting mildew and damp there are bigger issues than a penny inside it, which will most likely be taken by the next couple of cachers.

Hope that clears things up.

I don't know why anyone would have a problem with you leaving coins or tiny swag in a micro. It's nice to see someone with enthusiasm for the hobby, just ignore the haters.

People have different goals in Geocaching, some like to try to be FTF, others solve puzzles, or try to get a high count of caches.

Personally, I like to swap "swag" in caches and I set micros to "ignore". That's also because micros are harder to find! There's nothing wrong with that.

It would be helpful if people placing caches would be a bit more descriptive, we have gone to "Regular" caches and found them to be itty-bitty micros.

Happy Geocaching, John

I don't know why anyone would have a problem with you leaving coins or tiny swag in a micro. It's nice to see someone with enthusiasm for the hobby, just ignore the haters.

People have different goals in Geocaching, some like to try to be FTF, others solve puzzles, or try to get a high count of caches.

Personally, I like to swap "swag" in caches and I set micros to "ignore". That's also because micros are harder to find! There's nothing wrong with that.

It would be helpful if people placing caches would be a bit more descriptive, we have gone to "Regular" caches and found them to be itty-bitty micros.

Happy Geocaching, John

I think my main gripe about coins should be directed at domestic coinage. It's neat to find a foreign coin, but not so neat to find nickels, dimes and pennies. One issue is what the coins are made up and how it interacts with water - zinc pennies corrode almost explosively when left in a cache with water. I've removed a lot of corroded change from caches, usually when cleaning up a very messy one. Coins don't really help.

Nearly all of my first micros contained swag. There is nothing wrong with placing swag in micros. I still do once in a while. I recently found a $5 bill rolled up tightly with the log in a nano of mine when I archived it. A pleasant surprise.

If you have small items that you can leave in micros, go for it. Trading is a big part of this game for many. Just don't try to stuff things in so tight that it makes things difficult for others.

As far as people who "hate micros" I think their "hatred" stems more from the location than what they find or don't find inside.

A $5 bill in a nano, along with the log? WOW! I'd really like to see how that was done. I have a difficult time just getting the log back in a nano, let alone getting a bill in there also. Could you post a pic so we can see how it was done? I don't put out many nano caches, but that would be one heck of an enticement for a FTF prize.

A $5 bill in a nano, along with the log? WOW! I'd really like to see how that was done. I have a difficult time just getting the log back in a nano, let alone getting a bill in there also. Could you post a pic so we can see how it was done? I don't put out many nano caches, but that would be one heck of an enticement for a FTF prize.

Now that you mention it, I think what he is calling a nano I would call a small end micro.

No wonder we cant get nano as a size. we have different ideas on what the size of a nano is.

Maybe a thread for trying to determine the maximum size of a nano is in order?

There's nothing wrong with trade swag in caches, including in micros. If it fits it's fine.

On the other hand this game has never been about money and money certainly wouldn't be considered a trade item (Excepting rare coins and the like as trade items).

Some people leave a 'prize' for the First To Find but even then it's usually an item, not cash.

You've several times now mentioned that you are contributing to the game by leaving cash in caches. In fact no one caches for cash... you would help the game far more by leaving interesting trade items that cachers want to trade for.

To this post and everyone else against leaving cash in a cache: Was there not cash in the original stash when it was placed? If I am remembering correctly, there were 4 $1 bills in there which the first finder took. Therefore, money has always been a trade item.

I'm not sure why people are saying stuff like.....

<Raises hand> Ooh... Ooh... Pick me, Mr Kotter! :laughing:

Opinions in an Internet forum are like the flatulence of teenage boys. Spewed about vigorously regardless of how much they stink. Bashing enthusiastic newcomers is almost an Olympic sport on most forums, so I wouldn't expect anything to be different here, though at least our Moderators keep things from turning from sniping to flame wars.

An it harm none, do what ye will.

it states on your page you are living in Oregon, ive been there, have you ever been to florida? do you actually live here? how often do you cache in florida, how many have you found? if the inside of the cache is getting mildew and damp there are bigger issues than a penny inside it, which will most likely be taken by the next couple of cachers.

Hope that clears things up.

Why does that matter? A wet cache is a wet cache, no matter what state it's in, and although I've not found any in Florida, I've found caches in 8 states, and the wet ones were wet in similar ways. I answered the way I did to try to be helpful.

I basically give up posting anything to you from here on out, since I'm convinced you're just here to cause trouble. You say you're gung-ho, but most of what you post is extremely negative.

I think this is a terrible idea. I like micro's because I hate having to rummage through the "swag"to get to the log. If you could find a way to get trackables in there I'd be happy.

When I was a wee lad my father told me "Son, never use force, get a bigger hammer". I think that should solve the problem.

I like to find and leave something in those film canisters. I always leave it on the bottom and make sure the lid is on tight. So far i have only found pathtags. And it sure makes my day. my kids would love to find a dime, nickle or quarter in one. Since these items are on the bottom- if you don't want them, leave them. Common sense, I think.

Most of the micros I've placed had swag in them. That is my signal that I encourage trading. If there is swag in there, then by all means trade,

If I don't place swag in a micro that means that for whatever reason I don't want there to be swag in it and would not appreciate the addition of any.