Log Entries That End Up Being Clues - What Do You Do?

I've noticed that there are a few cachers in my area that leave too much information when they post their "found it" log entry. An example would be in the case of a nano left in a park on a particular object - like a kids rocking thingie and they leave an entry that says something about having a "whale of a time" (the rocking thing was a whale). And along with that then log entries go from folks leaving DNFs to suddenly they're all the "quick and easy grab" variety. So obviously the "whale" example directed people to the right specific location.

My question is -- when you have this happen, do you leave the log entry stand as it is? It's not even encrypted. What do you do if/when this happens to one of your caches?

I've noticed that there are a few cachers in my area that leave too much information when they post their "found it" log entry. An example would be in the case of a nano left in a park on a particular object - like a kids rocking thingie and they leave an entry that says something about having a "whale of a time" (the rocking thing was a whale). And along with that then log entries go from folks leaving DNFs to suddenly they're all the "quick and easy grab" variety. So obviously the "whale" example directed people to the right specific location.

My question is -- when you have this happen, do you leave the log entry stand as it is? It's not even encrypted. What do you do if/when this happens to one of your caches?

I would shoot them an email, nicely asking them to edit their log. Either that, or just wait for it to scroll off the page.

I would shoot them an email, nicely asking them to edit their log. Either that, or just wait for it to scroll off the page.

I know this one guy well enough that I can talk to him in person...but I happened to talk with a few other local cachers this weekend and they'd mentioned that they all know that he does this and apparently had said something to him. He's a real nice guy, just seems to be clueless about his entries being huge tip-offs.

If you don't mind the spoiler, but just want it encrypted, you could encrypt the entire log entry for them.

hhmmm , A sure fire way to be sure everybody reads it thoughly :)

Yup, and that's why I hadn't done that yet as I wondered if that would prompt folks to read the entry to find the clue that they might have missed. See, that's why I ask the question here. Good sanity check as you all come up with the same thing that I do.

a lot of those "hints" aren't hints at all unless you already know where the cache is.

look at the logs in that light and see if they're still giveaways.

I agree with Flask on this.

For pete's sake, someone hid a nano on a piece of children's playground equipment? Oops, wrong topic. :)

If you don't mind the spoiler, but just want it encrypted, you could encrypt the entire log entry for them.

The thing is that encrypted logs beg "READ ME". I know I can skim through all the logs, but as soon as I see one is encrypted, I simply have to stop and decrypt it. I'm sure I'm not alone with this.

If I get a log with an unwanted spoiler I simply ask the logger to remove it from his log. Never had one say no.

Edited by briansnat

The thing is that encrypted logs beg "READ ME". I know I can skim through all the logs, but as soon as I see one is encrypted, I simply have to stop and decrypt it. I'm sure I'm not alone with this.

If I get a log with an unwanted spoiler I simply ask the logger to remove it from his log. Never had one say no.

That's because if you see an encrypted log you know it is a spoiler. The encryption is to help the people who want to find the cache without a spoiler. Of course in that case the better thing might be just not to look at the logs at all. Often I look a the log to see how recently a cache was found, if they cache was rated correctly (people saying the cache was easy or difficult), and perhaps seeing if there is a note about maintenance so I might bring a new log or a pencil to leave in the cache. I'd like to read the note before I go and not read the spoilers until I get stuck and need them at the cache site.

I don't consider the example given to be too much of a spoiler. I think it's rather clever bit of wordplay. If they were to say something along the lines of, "it's underneath the left footrest of the bouncy whale", then I think I'd ask them to edit the log. If they didn't then I think I'd encrypt it. It then just becomes an extra clue.

Now when it comes to my puzzle caches, I'm much less tolerant. In that case I'd be apt to delete it and politely ask them to relog without the extra clue. I've had to do this a few times, but when I explain that it is for the integrety of the puzzle they have complied.

We went as far as deleting a spoiler log once, and then inviting the finder by email to repost his find without the giveaway clues. It worked out fine.

Well atleast they didn't take pictures of the cache and it's placement like i had happen to two of mine.the first time i let it slide as it was a kids hide and not real hard to find anyways plus they were new.Then they turn around and did it again on another one and taged the picture spoiler.I didn't delete their log i just sent them a nice email asking them not to post anymore spoiler pictures of my caches.I got a email back from them saying not to worrie about it that they wont find anymore of my caches

Well atleast they didn't take pictures of the cache and it's placement like i had happen to two of mine.the first time i let it slide as it was a kids hide and not real hard to find anyways plus they were new.Then they turn around and did it again on another one and taged the picture spoiler.I didn't delete their log i just sent them a nice email asking them not to post anymore spoiler pictures of my caches.I got a email back from them saying not to worrie about it that they wont find anymore of my caches

Ouch! Glad you didn't name them! :huh:

If you have given proper coordinates the fact that the cache is on the whale should be obvious once reaching ground zero. So that shouldn't be a spoiler at all.

Yes. If the coords are good, people's GPSs should bring them to the whale, so unless they describe exactly how it's hidden, I wouldn't worry about it.

I also think that some weight has to be given to the difficulty of the hide. If the hide is easy and someone says something that could be spoiler-like, I may not worry about it, but if the hide is really difficult and someone says something too detailed, I might be more concerned.

I got a email back from them saying not to worrie about it that they wont find anymore of my caches

"Don't worry" as in "Sorry, I'll delete the pictures but won't find anymore of your caches" or don't worry as in "Stop being such a complainer. I'm going to keep the pictures up there and they won't bother anyone. Don't worry about what I do, just mind your own business."

I've been the one who adds a clue in my logs....when no one is finding the cache.

One time the hint said "when facing the bottom of the stairs, the cache is on the right side of the stairs".

We started at the bottom of the stairs, so we thought the cache was on the right.

Others started at the top of the stairs (depends on where you happen to park), and spent hours searching on the other right.

We added our log to say " we parked at the bottom of the stairs, so the hint had us on the wrong side".

The stairs were over 80 feet long, so we didn't think it would hurt.

I got a email back from them saying not to worrie about it that they wont find anymore of my caches

"Don't worry" as in "Sorry, I'll delete the pictures but won't find anymore of your caches" or don't worry as in "Stop being such a complainer. I'm going to keep the pictures up there and they won't bother anyone. Don't worry about what I do, just mind your own business."

I once emailed another cache owner to alert him to some blatent spoiler pics that a couple that was new to caching had posted to some of his very clever caches. He was not aware of them, and was glad that I alerted him. He emailed me afterward and told me that the couple was very apologetic, and that they had no idea that anybody besides them could see their pictures! In that instance, they had no problem removing the pictures.

You know, this is interesting. I've seen many people post photos to cache pages, and label them as spoilers (or in many cases, "picture of the cache, not a spoiler"). But now that I think about it, this was only in "the old days" when all caches (at least in my area) were regulars out in the woods. I haven't seen anyone do this is ages. Is this just me? Am I crazy?

Either way, way too thin of a skin that these particular cachers have if their response is to not find any more of your caches. Seems like a perfectly reasonable request to me.

That's because if you see an encrypted log you know it is a spoiler. The encryption is to help the people who want to find the cache without a spoiler....

Not necessarily. I've found that people encrypt logs that have nothing to do with spoilers. Besides I don't comb logs for spoilers. Heck, I don't even decrypt the hint until until I'm stumped. In fact may times the cache in question is in another state and it is unlikely that I'd ever even hunt it.

I think it's just that I'm a curious person. I think most people are. An encrypted log catches my attention and makes me wonder why it was encrypted - so I look.

Of course, it is also true that the twelve people watching the evil mystery cache received the log in their e-mail. (This happened to one of mine recently.) So, if they wre looking for a hint, they got a very good one. And the cat is out of the bag. I did delete the log, explaining why. He apologized, and relogged without giving away the puzzle. But twelve people did get his log in their e-mail.

Of course, it is also true that the twelve people watching the evil mystery cache received the log in their e-mail. (This happened to one of mine recently.) So, if they wre looking for a hint, they got a very good one. And the cat is out of the bag. I did delete the log, explaining why. He apologized, and relogged without giving away the puzzle. But twelve people did get his log in their e-mail.

Here's a sort-of-newbie's perspective.

When I started out, I looked at EVERYTHING before I left... hints, all the logs, every detail on the cache page. And I still managed to DNF some. (The FIRST lamp-post-skirt-lifter cache I ever saw took me three trips and an email to the owner to find! I had no idea those things lifted up!)

Nowdays I may only glance at the web page... and sometimes I search with no more information than a set of coordinates downloaded into my GPS from a pocket query. When I get a DNF, I then go back and look for clues in the logs before my second visit.

So I appreciate having some subtle clues in the logs -- not blatant spoilers, but clues. When I make a find, I enjoy reading everyone else's logs when I go online to post mine. When I DNF, I appreciate the help.

Yes, there's an old, classic high difficulty/high terrain night cache around here that a ton of people are watching and a lot of people want to do. The description draws you into the cache and makes you want to do it, but you know nothing about the adventure that lies before you. That's part of the fun of this cache, the unknown, having no idea how how long it is, what you're getting yourself or what it's about.

Most people have written great logs about it, but they are all very vague and really tell you nothing about the cache itself, which is great. Those that have done it know what they're talking about, and those that haven't just get drawn deeper into the cache.

Well, awhile back, the trend changed. People started saying how many mils it was, then how many hours it took, then how many stages there were and the stages started getting described. The owner got really mad because he said the attributes tell you all the info he wanted to give...more than an hour, significant hike, not kid friendly and so on.

That really spoiled the fun for those who were watching but hadn't yet done it. Thankfully, that trend has changed back and people aren't giving anything away, a lot of new cachers have come along who want to do it, and the cache is one again a legend that everyone has on their to do list.

I want my caches to be found. If someone left a spoiler, i might just leave it stand.

Often when I'm in the field and otherwise stumped, i will look at previous logs to get better clues.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

They pretty much came out and said that they had the right to post anything they wanted since they found the cache and i was being a -hole about my caches and wouldn't look for any more of mine.My first thought after their email was to go ahead and delete their pics and email them back that i was not rude to them in my email and they shouldn't be rude.But after i thought about it i just let it go.after few days they deleted their pics and post and sent me another nasty email i guess they were looking for a spat and i wouldn't play their game.

They pretty much came out and said that they had the right to post anything they wanted since they found the cache and i was being a -hole about my caches and wouldn't look for any more of mine.My first thought after their email was to go ahead and delete their pics and email them back that i was not rude to them in my email and they shouldn't be rude.But after i thought about it i just let it go.after few days they deleted their pics and post and sent me another nasty email i guess they were looking for a spat and i wouldn't play their game.

Good job! It's easy to get into a back and forth thing, but what does it really accomplish? Probably best to just let it go.