Did anyone else go out and grab 9 on 9/9/9?

SkellyCA

A geocacher is hosting a 9/9/9 event cache right now, and she wanted to have nine new caches published in connection with the event.

I watched the system clock at the bottom of every cache page, and got all her new caches published in the one minute beginning at 9:09.

I hope that counts. :)

That's pretty cool; I'm sure that the cacher appreciated the detail.... made me smile anyway!

Not really, but I did find GC1DVVX today

There is a maximum of 16 tags before you find the cache, however depending on which tag you try to find first, it will probably be shorter than that. The one that I picked caused me to find 8 tags and then the final - 8+1=9! 9 on 09/09/09! :)

Congrats on post #9 to the 9/9/9 thread! :laughing:

I decided I had to go for a bike ride today just to grab 9 caches on 9/9/9.

Did anyone else go out? Or am I the only geek? :)

If I had done that then I would have gotten my 200th cache. 200 is not a fitting number for 090909. It would have been a sacrilege to the numerological gawds.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm shocked. I figured you'd have at LEAST 800 to a thousand caches in a full year, considering your opinions and post count.

Amazed you've only got 191. What gives? Why not have more? I've barely been able to restrain myself from getting any more than 240.

A geocacher is hosting a 9/9/9 event cache right now, and she wanted to have nine new caches published in connection with the event.

I watched the system clock at the bottom of every cache page, and got all her new caches published in the one minute beginning at 9:09.

I hope that counts. :laughing:

A personal touch that went above & beyond - good on ya :)

To stay OT, only found one cache yesterday, but it was a treat to place 09-09-09 on the log, and I did attend a "Nine Event GCZ54W".

Bill

Edited by 2Wheel'in

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm shocked. I figured you'd have at LEAST 800 to a thousand caches in a full year, considering your opinions and post count.

Amazed you've only got 191. What gives? Why not have more? I've barely been able to restrain myself from getting any more than 240.

How could I possibly take that the wrong way?

Unfortunately I am in a situation where I must spend more time near a computer than away from it. I know, I know, people aren't supposed to have opinions unless (insert arbitrary rule here) and to have opinions before that is not allowed, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy geocaching but its not my life. My life is built on existing first, playing later. If I can add some playing (ie posting in a forum) while I am existing, then its a bonus. When I can get away from the computer (no it's not simply a computer addiction) then I do go out and play and some of that play is geocaching.

I hope that satisfies your curiousity.

:)

I decided I had to go for a bike ride today just to grab 9 caches on 9/9/9.

Did anyone else go out? Or am I the only geek? :)

I not only did that but we grabbed all nine at precisely 9:09 in the morning with a total of nine cachers present and taking only 9 minutes to find them! With heaters present, the ambient air temperature was 99 degrees. On the way, we counted 9 rabbits and 9 squirrels.

Unfortunately, the whole idea was screwed up because we had only 8 vehicles. Two goof offs doubled up and ruined the whole idea! :laughing:

Only had time to attend the PM version of the 9/9/09 events around here. But as much as the organizer would have liked to have a 9 minute event, we're just too dadgum social. Some folks showed up two hours early, and some were still there drinking beer and enjoying company two hours later. :)

I did talk to one attendee who was celebrating his 6th cachiversarry so he found 6 on the way to the event to celebrate.

Edited by wimseyguy

What about logging you 999th find on 090909?

I logged my 909th find for a 090909 GeoEvent. I didn't log nine caches yesterday because I went out a couple of days ago and found "The Spot" (GC39) for my 900th find. As part of the event I was one of the local geocachers that placed one of nine different caches (nano, micro, small, large traditionals, letterbox, unknown, multi, an earthcache, and the event cache). Each cache was somehow based on a "nine" theme. I placed the multi cache called "The Enneads". The FTF on my cache found it at 9:09.

I hope that counts. :)

I know that there were lots of 09/09/09 Events yesterday. I just checked on the one in Pennsylvania and it didn't appear that there were any caches associated with it. Now that I think about it the cache the I placed for the 09/09/09 Multi Event: New York was published about 9:09pm the previous night.

It was a great event that was extremely well attended. Since my multi cache was located very close (both stages were on the property where the event was held) I've been getting a *lot* of email today.

Can't wait until 10/10/10. I bet there will be a lot of puzzle caches published that day.

I hope that counts. :anibad:

I know that there were lots of 09/09/09 Events yesterday. I just checked on the one in Pennsylvania and it didn't appear that there were any caches associated with it.

I didn't much like the implication of this post.

Please know that only about one-third of my volunteer duties involve reviewing caches in Pennsylvania. My earlier post described the caches I published in connection with a Southwest Ohio event. So yeah, I really did do what I said I did. I now regret posting about it, though.

I know that there were lots of 09/09/09 Events yesterday. I just checked on the one in Pennsylvania and it didn't appear that there were any caches associated with it.

Please know that only about one-third of my volunteer duties involve reviewing caches in Pennsylvania. My earlier post described the caches I published in connection with a Southwest Ohio event. So yeah, I really did do what I said I did. I now regret posting about it, though.

When I didn't see any caches associated with the event in PA I looked up (there is a link to it from the New York event) I just assumed that you had published those caches for a different event (the one that I attended). I never considered the possibility that you were claiming to do something you had not done. If you read it that way, I apologize. I really do appreciate the effort that you and other reviewers take that goes beyond what cache hiders already expect from you. At times being a reviewer must seem as a thankless "job". Going beyond those expected duties to publish caches at certain times to coordinate with an event is something worthy of praise. I hope that by posting about it, others won't assume that the extra effort that you put in is something that all reviewers will to on a daily basis. You've gone beyond the call of duty and it's truely appreciated.

When I didn't see any caches associated with the event in PA I looked up (there is a link to it from the New York event) I just assumed that you had published those caches for a different event (the one that I attended). I never considered the possibility that you were claiming to do something you had not done. If you read it that way, I apologize. I really do appreciate the effort that you and other reviewers take that goes beyond what cache hiders already expect from you. At times being a reviewer must seem as a thankless "job". Going beyond those expected duties to publish caches at certain times to coordinate with an event is something worthy of praise. I hope that by posting about it, others won't assume that the extra effort that you put in is something that all reviewers will to on a daily basis. You've gone beyond the call of duty and it's truely appreciated.

Well, until you replied to him, he could have deleted the text of his other posts and at least had plausible deniability.

GAH!

:-) Just kidding I loves you.

How could I possibly take that the wrong way?

Unfortunately I am in a situation where I must spend more time near a computer than away from it. I know, I know, people aren't supposed to have opinions unless (insert arbitrary rule here) and to have opinions before that is not allowed, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy geocaching but its not my life. My life is built on existing first, playing later. If I can add some playing (ie posting in a forum) while I am existing, then its a bonus. When I can get away from the computer (no it's not simply a computer addiction) then I do go out and play and some of that play is geocaching.

I hope that satisfies your curiousity.

:anibad:

Oh, bittsen, you always leave me smiling and satisfied. :-)

Thanks for clarifying. :o Sometimes I get so much hate mail that it becomes easy to assume a negative meaning for words. Yesterday was one of those days. A geocacher called me "pathetic." :anibad: