Best 'Themed' Geocache Examples

Headhardhat

I was recently asked by a viewer if I could do a GeoSnippits video about themed geocaches. They were talking about doing one that was based off of household items and I have seen one or two other ones while geocaching.

My question is what is the best 'themed' geocache you have either found or hidden? Have you seen any that were not ammo box size? Can you do a themed bison tube?

Thanks in advance for the inputs.

-HHH ;)

Edited by Headhardhat

I was recently asked by a viewer if I could do a GeoSnippits video about themed geocaches. They were talking about doing one that was based off of household items and I have seen one or two other ones while geocaching.

My question is what is the best 'themed' geocache you have either found or hidden? Have you seen any that were not ammo box size? Can you do a themed bison tube?

-HHH ;)

I really liked doing these two: Barcelona Invasion and Order of the Geoknights I. This last one also has a second part, a nightcache that is also themed in the same way as the first part: geocaching + knights.

We've had several themed series here. Such as the Bunny/Rabbit series at Easter - all the different Bunnies (Playboy Bunny, Energizer Bunny, Easter Bunny, Jessica Rabbit, White Rabbit, Br'er Rabbit, etc. Each cache was a plastic egg. Not too good a container but was fun for the kids.

Best Themed Series was the "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" series based on the book. Each caches was customized to match the story element. See GC1K7KH for a sample cache. This one, "G is for George smothered under a rug" was a box with a small diorama with "George" under a small piece of rug. Very creative.

Themed caches include foreign coins, Irish Icons (Celtic cross, shamrocks, anything Kelly Green), paperback books, CDs, keychains from around the world, etc.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

-HHH ;)

Read my post about Charlie Brown

http://creativecaches.blogspot.com/

The CO has several holiday themed caches in the North Dallas area.

I had a cache called Three thousand dollars worth of cat toys that was cram packed with you guessed it cat toys, I suggested that people post pictures of there cats, everyone who did it really liked it. Too bad it got lost in a flood.

Neat idea! Sorry to hear it got washed away. Great idea for a topic too, and other good themes also. You're all so clever. Being owned by 6 cats, it's pretty obvious why I homed in on Col. Flagg's cache....

How do you define "themed"?

I've found a few that have requested trade items that fit the theme: Christmas, buttons, whatever...

I've found a few that have requested logs that fit the theme: poetry, pirate talk, whatever...

And I've found a few that have embodied a theme into the cache via location, puzzles, and so on. For example, the The Shawshank Redemption is themed after the movie. (Check out the photo gallery.)

There is a joke cache near us. The cache contains a logbook, book for adult jokes and a book for jokes for children. We had a chuckle reading both joke books.

We completed the Pacific Rim Circle Route Micro Series today. A lot of the micros were missing on our first trip, but the series has been revived, caches replaced by another cacher. The route takes you on a logging road from Mesatchie Lake (nr Lake Cowichan on Vancouver Island) to Port Renfrew, then Sooke, BC. The road is very good - better than the public roads in some areas, the scenery gorgeous. A wonderful round trip for locals and tourists, no 4x4 needed, don't think I'd attempt it in the snow though.

I'm working on three themed caches right now.

PEZ cache, which is full of 25 PEZ I just got off ebay. All empty of course. Not sure how long it'll last, but I may make it a premium cache only for that reason so I'm not filling it up with PEZ dispensers every week.

Postcard cache. Full of postcards. Gonna start with 40 or 50 of them. Take one, leave one. See how long this one lasts as well.

Button cache, for weird buttons you get wherever. Like ones you pin to your shirt. Still working on locating a bunch of these to fill an ammo can, but it could be kinda fun if people can go along with it. I may also do an actual shirt button cache where you exchange buttons of sewing, use a lock n lock for that.

With all of these, just worry about people taking without leaving, which is something to worry about with most caches, but oh well, pez and postcards are cheap enough.

So yep, those are a few I thought about. The PEZ and postcard cache will be heading out into the wild this upcoming weekend, can't wait!

I'm working on three themed caches right now.

PEZ cache, which is full of 25 PEZ I just got off ebay. All empty of course. Not sure how long it'll last, but I may make it a premium cache only for that reason so I'm not filling it up with PEZ dispensers every week.

I found a Pez themed cache in April that was placed in 2005 and it still had a lot of Pez containers in it. Maybe your cache would get visited a lot more frequently in your area but the one I found didn't look like it needed to be restocked frequently. Of course, it's about .4 mile bushwack off a seasonal road and has only been found 30 times (only twice in the past year, including my log).

I have a themed cache that I placed on Easter a couple of years ago. It's called "Briar Patch". It has a brief description about Brer Rabbit and photo. The cache is located in an overgrown garden setting behind a business called Briar Patch (with explicit permission). There is a large hollow log which looks just like it could be a rabbit hutch. The container is a small, plaster rabbit lawn ornament with a golden easter egg as an inner container to hold the log.

I came across a cache a few months ago called "Fortune Cookie." You had to leave a fortune and take one out. Of course it was near a Chinese restaurant. Mine fortune said "An unexpected event will soon bring you fortune.". The fortune cookie was right, I found 16 caches that day!

there is a great Themed series in my area called "Hunting the Great Bear"

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...92-f863661a1222

that is the first cache.

It's a great series of at least five caches, intended for children. Very well thought out, it has a continuation of the story on each cache page. EAch cache contains part of a necklace. You get the last of the necklace parts when you find the bonus cache after finding all of the regular caches.

To me the best part of it is that I can actually FIND these caches. I live in a city that thrives on evil micros.

These are regular hides a kid can find. (Ok, so I couldn't find one of them yet, I'll go back and get it next time).

Very fun series. Check it out.

sometimes it's good to know the one's there could be a problem with in order to know what's best.

I just began working on figuring out this series.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ca-321aa74ed56c

It's a series on the Guiness Book of World Records.

It's got The largest, the Smallest, Art and sculptures, experiments, and other cool stuff. I am just working on these now, but I see the problem could be that these were based on the 2007 World Records book. Great if you've got one lying around, but how hard will it be for these figures to be accurate in 5 years? Could get dicey.

World Records change.

I've had this trouble with some other caches where the information asked for is something that changes. Can be frustrating.

Good idea, but could have problems in the future.

OK, here's a good one that's been done in our state twice that I know of.

Very cool idea.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4f-5a673865143a

It's a science project for a second grader.

It is a map of the solar system built to scale.

THe link is to the earth cache on one of the two "solar systems". (the other is in Granite Falls WA)

There is one cache for each planet that is at the correct distance from "the sun" that they have chosen.

Bonus cache if you get all of them.

This is a great series. Fun and informative.

"Sam's Solar System is a combination geocaching and second grade science fair project. It's a model of the solar system built to a scale of 1/71,504,324. While that seems like a big number, it means that an astronomical unit (the average distance between the sun and Earth) is 1.3 miles in the model."

My favorite series is not quite a series, or is it?

Back to, what is the definition of a series.

Those last examples I gave were pretty clear cut.

This one is not as much.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...95-bfa542ea64cb

This is kind of a series of paddle caches one team has put all over our area.

They're not really related, except for their all paddle caches by this team.

(normally I think of a series as something that has a final bonus cache if you get all in the series, but these don't have that.)

paddle caches are my favorite, although I haven't had the chance to get many. Usually they're an all day, or half day excursion. Be a waste of time to do them otherwise.

More fun to do with others, and I haven't been able to convince my geo-partner in getting many.

Bring a lunch, enjoy the float. Watch the bald eagles fish for their young.

These are the best caches on the planet!!!

Edited by Sol seaker

Reading back on your original post, it does ask for themed caches, rather than series.

The one's I have written on are themed in a series. I like those themes better.

The other themed caches I've done are things like, Girls stuff cache, Boys stuff cache (same park), foreign coins (my favorite), heart stuff, Green stuff, Red white and blue stuff, Caches as a memorial to someone (these are my least favorite. This is a game. I play to escape all that heavy stuff in life for a while).

Oh, one Costume Cache that was really fun. You put on the costumes in the cache and take pictures with the camera in the cache. That one was great.

CD exchange, DVD exchange, book exchange, etc.

These themed caches are my least favorite. I find them annoying.

I gathered stuff to some of them, and didnt' get to them or didn't find them, and now I've still got this odd stuff knocking around.

I much prefer the series of caches that are themed, verus the individual caches that are themed.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...08-f1bd2e57d483

Ok, here's another series of themed caches that's interesting.

Here's the blurb from one in this series:

The coords will take you to a portal into the BOWELS OF THE EARTH. Yep, you'll have to go in if you want the cache. Finding it shouldn't be too hard after that, unless of course you're BLINDED WITH PANIC! Bring a pencil. Naturally, the container is TOO SMALL TO HOLD ONE!

The difficulty of this cache is 5 stars only if you are claustrophobic. Otherwise it's a 2.

Other caches in the Fear This: Phobia series

1. Fear This: Arachnophobia

2. Fear This: Acrophobia

3. Fear This: Myrmecophobia

4. Fear This: Coulrophobia

5. Fear This: Kenophobia

6. Fear This: Cynophobia

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...08-f1bd2e57d483

Ok, here's another series of themed caches that's interesting.

Here's the blurb from one in this series:

The coords will take you to a portal into the BOWELS OF THE EARTH. Yep, you'll have to go in if you want the cache. Finding it shouldn't be too hard after that, unless of course you're BLINDED WITH PANIC! Bring a pencil. Naturally, the container is TOO SMALL TO HOLD ONE!

The difficulty of this cache is 5 stars only if you are claustrophobic. Otherwise it's a 2.

Other caches in the Fear This: Phobia series

1. Fear This: Arachnophobia

2. Fear This: Acrophobia

3. Fear This: Myrmecophobia

4. Fear This: Coulrophobia

5. Fear This: Kenophobia

6. Fear This: Cynophobia

<snicker> I know these... good ones too.

In the Huntsville, Al area we have a themed series of caches commonly referred to as the Jolly Green's. I can't really discuss the nature of the theme without spoiling a good deal of the coolness factor, but I think you might get an idea with careful reading of the logs, if not the gallery images.

Haa, both my parents we born in Blue Earth, MN.

JollyGreenGiantBlueEarthMN2006-05-20.JPG

Edited by bflentje

I/we(my family) have a few themed cache series'. Farm fresh, is a series that started off with mostly plastic fruit drilled out and filled with a bison tube for the log, and now we have EVERY size container involved. We also have a series called ROOTS, it is a series of micro's in the roots of trees along some back country roads. A new series we just started is called "Smells like Roses". It takes you to places that, well, STINK!! Waste transfer stations, sewage tx plants, dumps...etc...the odors are usually bad, so how bad do you want a smiley. Check out our profile, if you have questions, ask! Bergie

I've tried to have a theme to all my caches some are stretching the concept of theme but here they are

Alien Invasion

I'm giving away a prize to the person who took the last green alien, thus ending the invasion, read more about it here http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=231478&hl=

Mostly Army Men

Started out with Army Men plus a few odds and ends that we felt like adding. When the army men are gone I think we're going to donate money to Toys for Tots or the USO based on the date the last army man is taken (I may have to rethink this if it happens on a big number).

Station to station

Is by a railway station (it's also the name of a David Bowie album and was going to be part of a David Bowie themed multi-cache but I haven't had time to work on it yet).

McToys I found in my other Geocaches

That is my most succesful themed cache - it gets great comments and folks seem to love the theme and trades.

I also have a keychain cache that at one time had about 40 different keychains in it. Folk literally took on thier keychains off and grabbed one they liked. Worked out great until it got muggled. The replacement just hasn't been as successful.

-HHH :D

We have done a couple in a local theme called "Countdown to 40" where someone placed a new cache each week, I think, to countdown to his wife's 40th birthday. The birthday recently came and went but it's still fun going after the caches and it was fun seeing them gradually build over several weeks. - K

Oh, NM - after reading some of the other answers I didn't realize we were talking about themed items in the cache itself, not cache hunts with a theme. My bad.

Edited by hudsonfam