COINTEST: Ills’s of the World Cointest - see post # 39

The Finding Irish 4

OK so a friend and I, yes I have one… :cool:

Were having an adult libation and discussion the problems of the world, many were solved that evening…..

We then got off topic to Family, and what we were doing together with all of the ills in the world, many just solved by us, to be better families and get closer, etc…

Well we got off on Geocaching, and then to coins, and pathtags, missions, you have had this one I am sure, then we got to Cointests….

I told him we have thought of doing a cointest as a way to give back, we discussed which coin, why that one, what to do to win the coin, etc…

So we settled on doing a cointest for one of the highly sought after coins, not telling which one yet, but we were sure it would generate MEGA interest.

HOWEVER here is the question this coin is an activated version, got it in a trade, but thought would like to get it back out into circulation….

Would you participate in a cointest for a coin that was activated?

Would it depend on discoveries, or miles traveled, or would you just want to add this one to your collection? Not saying it has or hasn’t either.

Adoption request would be sent to the winner.

Let’s hear from everyone, good and bad

I think a cointest is a great way to give back :cool:

I would participate in a cointest for an activated, no matter if it has been discovered or traveled.

Coin is coin, no matter if it's activated or not and if it has been discovered or was traveling before it's a honor to receive it :D:laughing:

Just my opinion...

The fact that a coin has been activated and has some discoveries on it would not be any sort of a negative that would influence my decision to participate in your cointest or not. The fact that you are willing to share a prized possesion of yours with me (somebody you don't know) would make it that much more special to me. Well, that's my 2 cents so I'll be interested to see how the community responds. Good luck with your cointest!!!! :cool:

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

I play the cointests for the fun of them and not for any particular coin. If I win, the coin is a bonus and its funny that I usually forget about it until it arrives in the mailbox. So to give you your answer I would play whether activated or not-- that is if I am near a computer.

You're going to run a cointest and give away a free coin, correct?

...and you're asking the people who may play if it's ok that it's activated?

The coin is free, just want to clairfy that once more :cool:

Just run the cointest and tell people it's activated and then stipluate in your rules that if someone wants to whine or complain about it, then they're disqualifed :laughing:

tsun

This is a free coin after all.

Edited by tsunrisebey

Would you participate in a cointest for a coin that was activated? Shure why not its still a trackable coin right !!!

Would it depend on discoveries, or miles traveled, or would you just want to add this one to your collection? Ill use it as discover only at all event i go to or host

Hey if some one wants a new coin they can just go buy one . Im up for a free coin transfer over to me .

What do i have to do again . Jump up and down and say pick me ?

As long as it's a fun cointest, I will be participating. I don't mind at all if a coin has already been activated, we adopted many coins in the past. It's always interesting to see where it has been traveling before. We like all coins even non trackable ones.

It's not the prize that makes me participate it's the kind of cointest. Tough ones are not for me :cool: Keep it simple and I'll be there :laughing:

I rarely participate in cointests as I'm not lucky in that way. But if I was to win a really cool, hard to find coin it'd be dumb to look a gift horse in the mouth - so to speak. If you want to be generous and give away a coin it'd be a rare coiner who'd whine that adoption papers came with it!!

I would certainly play. I am new to the geo caching. I don't have any coins yet so a free coin would be great, whether is has been activated or not. It would be a great way to get my coin collection started. I would be honored that you are willing to share your coin with me (someone to don't even know).

We've just started doing cointests recently... But, we would have no qualms in participating for activated coins. This kinda adds some history to it... gives it more value to some people; but, maybe less for others. I think it's a great idea & should have no problem getting several to join. Good luck in whatever you decide! :cool:

My dear friends!!! At first, thank you for thinking of making a cointest with a price a highly sought after coin!!! WOW!

I would love to participate! I like playing cointest for the fun! I am playing for the coin... Of course... if it comes, it is even better!!! :)

Now, if the coin is activated... so??? A coin is a coin no matter if it is activated or not!

The coin has logs, discoveries, finds etc... right???

So... it has a history of adventures!!!! That amazing!!!! I love these things!!!!

I admit, that if the coin is so good... I wouldn't let it travel if I win it, but it will have a great place in my collection!

I had won activated coins again! It really doesn't matter for me!!!

In an older cointest, I won an error made coin! the question of the cointest if I remember well, was why I would like to have an error coin!

I posted that I love errors! all the coins are the same but a coin with an error, makes it unique and with its own history to tell! this coin is in my collection and I love it!

The same thing is about activated coins too!!! The stories it carries makes it unique!!! Even if it is "wounded" from circulation!!! These wounds are its medals!!! :D

Now.... something else.... if you are giving out as a price a highly sought after coin, and we will have a problem if it is activated or not....

It reminds me something we say in Greece.....

"They are giving you a donkey for free, and you are checking it his teeth are ok!!!!" :cool::laughing:

I would be honored to have a coin like that in my collection! :)

....Can't wait to play in the cointest!!! :)

I would certainly play. I am new to the geo caching. I don't have any coins yet so a free coin would be great, whether is has been activated or not. It would be a great way to get my coin collection started. I would be honored that you are willing to share your coin with me (someone to don't even know).

You know I think I can help you out a little with the not having a geocoin yet problem. Check your E-Mail because I just sent you an E-Mail with a solution to the situation. Happy caching! :cool:

"They are giving you a donkey for free, and you are checking it his teeth are ok!!!!" :cool::laughing:

We say that here too..."don't look a gift horse in the mouth" it means exactlythe same thing.

I have had some games before where the prize was an activated coin that was sent out traveling. They have always been fun, and well received. Thank you for sharing with us

OK EVERYONE.... HERE IS THE ANSWER......

YES THE COINTEST WILL HAPPEN

Sorry for the delay in getting back to post, but work comes first, and I have been underground.

ihy9712181.jpg

Now stuck in a little Hotel in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky, they say they have WIRELESS.....

So here I sit perched in a lobby with the clerk staring at me with a dazed look.

I have received an ear beating from the Kids on the coin,

WHY CAN'T WE HAVE IT DAAADDDDYYYY.....

But I promised so

YES THE COINTEST WILL HAPPEN

It will be Friday before I get back home, I will work on the way to win and type it up so when I get back home I can get it under way...

Thank you for all of the feedback

Edited by The Finding Irish 4

As I mentioned in Post#1:

A friend and I were having an adult libation and discussing the problems of the world.

We then got off topic to Family, and what we were doing together with all of the ills in the world to be better families and get closer.

Since this was how it started here is what you need to do….

Tell the entire Geocaching community what you are doing to be better families and get closer.

If you are a small family no kids yet, or empty nesters tell us what you are doing to come closer to your extended family,

unconventional families let us know as well, pets are some peoples kids they count too…

You will need to post a picture of you and your family to be eligible.

NO PICTURE NO ENTRY

I will let my kids decide their top ten stories, and the authors name will be tossed in a hat and a winner drawn.

Only one entry per person, anyone with a Geonick can enter…

Forgot to mention Contest ends August 31st, 2009

As for the prize here it is:

7eb8b24e-7980-4f5b-80f3-008f026696b4.jpge2a8c23c-bd9a-430a-8ba2-f0cfdaeaaf93.jpg2c909755-5455-4e47-bcdc-2efc83a6e797.jpg

I will be giving the winner ONE of the two laptops, maybe you can even pick between colors if my kids don’t beat me first.

Remember this is an activated Geocoin, and an adoption request will be sent.

I just adopted them myself to help the transfer.

P.S. Dr. Neal if you read this you have the condolences of our entire family on your loss.

Edited by The Finding Irish 4

family002.jpg

When I read your post on what I’m (we) are doing to be better families this was the picture that came to mind. It was taken 25 years ago but it is still the impression I get when I think of our family. Our daughter will always be our little girl and my wife will always be my best friend.

Our daughter has travelled the US and Europe, but has always done it with others, safety in numbers. This week she informs us that she is travelling to Ottawa, alone, which is a 6 hour drive to visit a college friend. Well I became the parent again but had to think of what my parents and parent in-laws had taught me. The lesson was that your children have to learn through their own mistakes, you have to be there for them but not to always interfere in their decision making.

I use the “ask twenty questions” method; like, so do your car doors lock? Do you have automobile assistance should your car break down? Is your cell phone fully charged? Have you checked into what flights cost to get there?

During what children call the interrogation, I formulate reasons why I’m required to step back. A note to the parents, this method works to some degree but there is often lingering doubt and worry.

At any rate communication is the foremost important tool to having a close and better family life. Oh I did receive the following text message at 2:30 a.m. “I know you were worried got here safe and sound talk to you Sunday when I get home” - I don’t know where she got that idea?

When I read your post on what I’m (we) are doing to be better families this was the picture that came to mind. It was taken 25 years ago but it is still the impression I get when I think of our family. Our daughter will always be our little girl and my wife will always be my best friend.

Hello kini_ont,

Your story my friend is all too familiar, many friends have shared the same sentiment with me on their children, looking at them they never see anything but that little boy or little girl...

So proud of the person they have become but still worried for their little child out in the mean world, who will protect them, how can I keep them safe?

I think you show that a good home and involved parents make the difference.

Tell the entire Geocaching community what you are doing to be better families and get closer.

If you are a small family no kids yet, or empty nesters tell us what you are doing to come closer to your extended family,

unconventional families let us know as well, pets are some peoples kids they count too…

Sorry no photos as they where lost in are move ...

Well are familey is a fun one we have 3 kids and one on the way . We also have 4 Farrets .

Some of the things that we do is go to the mall or just go for walks . We cant try board games cuzz the kids are to young. Ages are 17 mo. 2 yr and 4 yr baby due at the end of the month

Ok.... now that I found 2 old photos (from the time I was younger, had lots of hair, and a moustache!...oh boy!!!), I am ready for my post!

019411c4.jpg

I do not have my own family yet! I am not married, but... believe it or not... I am still staying with my parents!

I know that this sounds crazy or whatever, to you! Things in Greece are not so easy! If you are working, (right now I am not!), and you get the basic salary, about 600 - 700 euros... you can nto do a lot of things!

to rent a room, you need at least 300 -350 euros! A small house will probably go higher!

If you have to pay electric bills, mobile bills, telephone bills, water... you will not have to eat!!!

Since life is expensive, and the money we are taking not enough.... the best solution is stay for a while with our parents, until we can stand in our feet! I do not mean to stay for ever, and I do not mean that you do not have any freedom etc, ok?

Anyway.... as a family we are very close! We love each other, we are all crazy (in a good way), and we like life, happiness and smiles!

Even if we do not have a lot of things, we find a way to make our life easier and greater, and that is the big solution in many problems!

Why as a family we are so close and we are so good together? Becasue our parents (I have a sister too!), are near us when we need them, to advise us when we have a problem and we can not find a way... alone, they are here even before we ask them to be!

Parents in Greece are close... this is not always good, but in our case... it is! They are not geting in our legs... they are good friends to us, they are listening us and not just speak speak without actually helping us...

As I said they are enjoing life! we are all say jokes, have fun.... even play.. oh yes... many times they came in Geocaching too, even if they have medcal problems, and they are in their 70's!!! They like dancing, good music.... they are so great! Of course, we have great respect for them!!

They are my good teachers!!! Both me and my sister, were teaching us things, to seperate the good and the bad, to learn from our mistakes, they were not yelling or beating us!! These things are bad for the child! Yelling or beating makes the child to do bad things even if he knows that they are bad! It is a reaction!

Except that... by that way.... they will never learn!!! they will only do the same in their children....

Anyway...they did not have any fights in front of us... actually since they are still in love..... there are no fights at all! :laughing:

As teachers... they were teaching us to love music, painting, arts, nature, animals, flowers, living peacefully with them, care about them.... they were teaching us to read and write... how to behave, how to respect others, how to help....

They are good supporters in every dessision we make, even if it is a good one or not! Ok, I admit that if it is a wrong one they give their advices, but the final dessision is ours!!

I remember that when I was 3 years old, I met the prime minister of Greece and told him that I knew him and what he was saying to the TV!!! I still have the photos from the Greek newspapers... they couldn't believe that I was 3 and wrote that I was 5!!! :yikes: The photos show K.Karamanlis (not the one we have now!), holding my hand and walking!!!

when I was 4 I could read small books, and some articles from Newspapers!!! :D My mother used to teach us!

These are the best lessons in our life, because they made us humans!

These things made us come closer and made us a better family!

Of course.... friends, or other families when they see how close we are and how we care about each other... they say that we are allients!!! Well... I do not see doing anything wrong!!!

They are wondering why when we go for daily trips in the other part of the island, or going for swimming, or going to taverns to eat, we usually go all together! Why not??? We go alone or with our company too, but why not go all together too???

So to be from Earth, we have to leave our parents alone at home, do not care etc??? I do not think so!!! If that is the right way... then we are allients! :D

Time has passed! Not pour parrents, needs us! We needed them all these years... now that they need us...just turn our backs to them??? Oh NO!!!

Ok, back to the post...

As I said, things like that, and the way you are teaching your child will make your family better, and you will come closer!!

MY sister is married now! She got married on October! My brother in law, is a crazy as we are, so we are very close too! HE is my brother!!! :P His parents were not like ours.. unfortunatelly, but now according to what he is saying, he found us as his family!

The photos I will post, are old! I hope it will be ok, when I find photos with all the family and my brother in law inside, to post it too!

Oh.. I almost forgot!!! A good part in our lives and how we grew up, had the brother and the sister of my mother! My uncle is my godfather too! He is a second dad!!! :lol:

My aunt is a second mother for both me and my sister! They didn't have children so....

My aunt and my ucle were helping a lot from when we were babies! Even if they live in an other island, they were very close!!! My aunt was the fist who took me in her hands! This was even before my mother took me in her hands! when I was born she had a very high blood pressure and... thenk God we were both ok!!!

Just to close my post and I hope I helped a little, I will do the same things when I will make my own family! I will teach my children I will make them understand and love nature, arts, life, and I hope I will put the first knowlege in their life, to make it a better one! :)

as to what are we doing ,,, we are going out to the park alot as zariah love to play ,that also gives me and cass time to talk.

she works 2 jobs and i work a full timer so time togeather has to be quality,, dinner has always been special to us, so we cook alot to.

our family is working on loving each other more and less negitive comments about our day or things that have happened. me and cass enjoy movies togeather, so we try to watch alot of movies after zariah goes to bed,, but before we all play togeather at home.

unfortunatly we had to give lucky away last week because he was destroying our house, last friday he ripped all the vinyl up in the bathroom, in the 6 months hes been with us he has distroyed about $300 in our clothes and done about $3500 in damage to our house including chewing the cable lines , sprinkler heads, faucets, carpet and various other things. he went to cassies sister that has 3 other sheperds, we figured the wolf hybreed in him needed to be with other dogs of his kind. so hes not part of the family anymore and zariah wonders if lucky is outside everyday. its kinda sad but its for the best for all of us.

here is a pic of us when we bought our house last year.

b2eac6e6-9ec2-4307-8db3-1cfceb509d84.jpg

Hmmm, like many families we don't always see eye to eye. I used to feel an obligation to visit the family at every holiday, school break,etc. and never go or do anything else. I thought maybe moving around the world might be a nice break, meaning we didn't always have to see them at every holiday...turns out I was wrong on so many levels. First of all, we missed them and surprise! They missed us! My sister planned her wedding (secretly I think it was to lure us back) for July and we had a great time back in Canada. It was really hard to come back to Australia. :( Me and my siblings on wedding day. Funny we made Mitch stand downhill so we look the same height.

siblings.jpg

So I guess to keep to the cointest...I think maybe our family unit (Me, husband, 3 kids) have had to become really close just out of necessity. Because of the times, work was not so great for my husband after we moved here, he's been going to a job with nothing to do, losing friends he's made to layoffs and wondering what the next day will bring....so today he left to work in Brisbane. He is gone for 3 weeks at a time with a week back in between and this will go on for at least 6 months. It's not at all what we came here for, but what can you do? It's a job!

So, it's just me and the kiddies. I have a lot of things to be thankful for.

IMG_0890-1.jpg

Well, have not been here in a while, guess it´s time to see what people r doing here...

One reason for that I have not been here is that I have been concentrating on friends and family lately...

What do we do to become a better family??? Good question...

We try to celebrate birthdays and get the whole family together then, the pics below r from such an occasion. :huh:

Then we try to do some game evenings once in a while. There r traditional tabletop games to be played or even singstar on the playstation...

In summertime of course swimming is a way to spend time together and have fun...

Unfortunately most of my family does not like geocaching that much (except my mom) so this is not really an option to get closer :rolleyes:

5373_1023618047988_1751359379_48689_4462185_n.jpg

5373_1023618928010_1751359379_48696_1174079_n.jpg

5373_1023619448023_1751359379_48709_7572210_n.jpg

:rolleyes: I forgot to mention something in my post!

We are trying to celebrate every or almost every day!

after all... we all greeks are crazy! :D We have celebrations almost in every day of the year! We always find a way to celebrate something!!!

:D

We have name days, festivals and celebrations for each Saint (and we have many!!!), every village has a festival too (On saturday in Embona village in Rhodes is the Wine festival for example, and in Sunday.... there is a festival for Virgin Mary's 9 days of death)!

Except all that... if the national team in football, in basketball etc, won, we are celebrating in the streets, if our team won...

And in my house... if there is a goooooood food ....the family (us and my sister with my brother in law), is united!

Well.. we always have something....

So in most of these cases, the family is together! That's something special!!! :huh: