Fishing Flies as swag?

I have been trying to think of things that could be left in caches. I tie flies, more than i will ever be able to fish with. I have been thinking of picking up some mini zip-locs or plastic containers and leaving flies as swag. I would probably add a small slip of paper with the fly name and "recipe".

Acceptable? Desireable?

Thanks

I think that would be a neat idea. My only concern is the hook. Some people may just stick their hands into the cache and I'd hate someone to get stuck with a hook. If you put them in a case that would protect the hook from being touched, i think it's a good idea.

I think that sounds like an awesome piece of swag, especially near areas where fishing is permitted.

If you're concerned about the hooks--perhaps you would be able to use those plastic pieces that people put on the back of hook earrings to keep them from falling off. If you put the point of the hook into one of those it would be like a little bumper, and that combined with a plastic bag should keep cachers safe from getting stuck. They're very inexpensive and you can get them in any craft store.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get lots of great replies and suggestions.

As someone who occasionally fli fishes, and has tied flies before, I would love to find one fo your hand tied flies. Echoing what others have said, the key is to protect the fly from being smashed, and to protect those geocachers who carelessly rummage through a cache without looking at what they are doing. As a responsible parent, I always examine the cache contents carefully before allowing my kids to "look for treasure."

Good idea. It'd be an even better idea if you leave some in Alabama caches. May I suggest the one on my front porch? You can leave as many as you would like in it. :D

I use small blocks of Styrofoam to keep my flies in order; take a 1/2" sheet and cut into 1/2" squares, take a razor and slit one side, the fly sits nicely on the block with the hook embedded in the slit.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I actually found a few fishing flies in a cache I found recently. The person who had left them as swag left them in a little plastic souffle' container with lid to keep them from falling out, sticking someone etc. He then left his cache handle on the top with what they were.

You should be able to pick up some of the containers at a Sam's Club or Costco. Most resturants use them for a few ounces of sauce, ketchup, mustard etc.

Nice idea for a signature item by the way.

LPYankeeFan

Edited by lpyankeefan

I have been trying to think of things that could be left in caches. I tie flies, more than i will ever be able to fish with. I have been thinking of picking up some mini zip-locs or plastic containers and leaving flies as swag. I would probably add a small slip of paper with the fly name and "recipe".

Acceptable? Desireable?

Thanks

As others have said, keen swag (and I don't even fish!).

Do you know anyone in the electronics building business? Electrical engineers, etc? Components and pins come in nifty little vials with a pretty snug lid, and would probably hold a fly.

Some are like these poly containers and some are small film can like containers.

Just tie up a bunch of #28 midges and drop 'em in. Nobody will even notice! :D

Ironic that now that I no longer tie flies, I'm finding wild turkey feathers everywhere. Used to have to pay big bucks for them to tie muddlers.

I can't believe you'd tie up a midget and drop it in a cache!!!!! wait... oh....... a midge..... I see...... Well then, carry on, carry on. ;)

This little clear styrene hinged containers with the little snap-lock catch would be ideal. You can find them online, but I'm not sure where you'd find them locally. Looks like they are quite inexpensive if you buy them in bulk

PKK50CTHING.GIF

That's a good idea. I have a collection of wine corks that I've thought of using. I also have been tying my own flies for quite awhile and have a nice recipe for a very realistic looking mayfly (which also happens to be the name of one of my development machines I use at work). Some of the larger patterns, such as a stone fly, might even be taken as swag by non-flyfishers. I also have a pattern I developed (I call it a flashy marabou minnow) that has the most effective fly I've tried for catching fall run german browns and landlock salmon that come into our local tributaries from the lake. I caught four browns over four pounds in one day on the pattern. It would make a nice fly to add to a local cache because it's been proven to be effective on local waters.

I think you have finally found a good use for film canisters. Print a picture of the fly on label stock and label the canister with the fly inside.

You could even decide on a series of flies and if a cacher found all of them a special fly in Groundspeak colors could be sent to them.

Of course with this being my idea you could send me a complete set to put in my collection of REALLY COOL SIG items.

Woohoo ! A fly fisherman placing his ties- and in my State !

There's a fly-guy in Jersey I kid, that I follow him on caches he's hit :)

Usually leaves a fly. Arthritus kickin' in makes me have to buy most now.

This area seems to get a year-long hatch of BlueWingedOlives (micros in Winter) I usually do better than most on simple caddis patterns, staying away from "match" flies. Get terrible looks from "purists" when using glo-bugs, until I nail a decent brown in front of 'em :unsure:

Seems all but dries could be placed in a little 2x2 baggey from AC Moore or Michaels.

They both also carry the little 1" square plastic boxes, if you want to add dries (hint, hint.)

Now if you happen to get a "bit" closer to the NorthEast...

:P

Hi...I don't know if anybody has mentioned this but recently I purchased a large amount of toy containers that you see in 50 cent toy machines. They are really inexpensive in bulk and there is no chance of the top popping off unless you intend to take them off (even then it is pretty tough to open) They are clear so you can see exactly what is inside with no surprises to the little ones.

Just a thought..they run about 5 cents or less each.

Such a cool thing to find, well done.

Hi...I don't know if anybody has mentioned this but recently I purchased a large amount of toy containers that you see in 50 cent toy machines. They are really inexpensive in bulk and there is no chance of the top popping off unless you intend to take them off (even then it is pretty tough to open) They are clear so you can see exactly what is inside with no surprises to the little ones.

Toy capsules would be perfect for flies.

Great suggestion!

Here is a link to an Ebay store that has them

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/jcorey123_W0...QQ_fromZQQ_ipgZ

Too bad you can't put it in caches, because the best thing to catch trout with is

FDCorn.jpg

:unsure:

Freeze-dried?

I was about to post that corn can be fatal to trout, but thankfully I decided to research my argument first, and found out that it probably is not true! Link

Still... freeze-dried, though? Well, I guess it will be rehyrdrated very quickly.

Still... freeze-dried, though? Well, I guess it will be rehyrdrated very quickly.

Yup, freeze-dried you can keep a small quantity in a baggie in your fly box and use as desired, it won't rot.

This former fly-fisherman (I swear I'm going to start again) would never dream of keeping corn in his flybox.

[a couple of years ago, I bought an out-of-state license and trout stamp and never use it... not even once. I tried to return it in the fall, saying it had never been used, but they wouldn't give my money back :unsure: ]

On a recent vacation I found several caches that were placed by the same family. In the descriptions they listed a hand tied fly as part of the original swag. On our last day there, one of my cacher friends called me about a new cache that had been placed five miles from where I was staying and it was by that family. I rushed there hoping that there would be a fly in the container. Sadly there was no fly, but I did get and inscribed FTF pen.

Great suggestion!

They also stock an item that would make an evil LPC.

At least it would be for the first to find.

Great suggestion!

They also stock an item that would make an evil LPC.

At least it would be for the first to find.

You have no idea of the evil streak in me that just switched on for a second.

I think these are awesome cache finds! There's a MOFisherman in our area that leaves them in caches. I don't even like fishing, but picked it up to move on to a cache closer to water. Like the fact they they're hand-made... plus, it's something you already know how to do & enjoy! :unsure:

I've used a big bass popper and a saltwater clouser for a couple of my travel bugs (hooks cut off), but I thought there was some "rule" about pointy things in caches.

Why don't you send me a couple dozen of your flies and I'll do some testing, and send you pics and a report on my results.