Questionable Name

Pretty sure it's a sock puppet account, but still, doesn't sit well with me.

Barack Hussein Obama

Does Groundspeak have a policy addressing names?

I don't see whats wrong with the name. He evidently admires the president, just like naming your child after the president.

Barack Hussein Obama

What's the issue with the account name? I mean, other than the fact that Obama is proving to be the worst thing that's happened to this country since it was founded?

Politics aside- you mean anything goes?

Barack Hussein Obama

What's the issue with the account name? I mean, other than the fact that Obama is proving to be the worst thing that's happened to this country since it was founded?

Barack Hussein Obama

I never said that, I only asked what your issue was with the name.

Guess I'd have to think about it a bit. It caught my eye because Salem is actually a pretty active and close knit geocaching community, never had seen it- hit a bunch of caches in one day (one of which was mine/I deleted the log already as the log entry was bogus/no signature on the log) and when I looked into it further (before physically checking my own cache)- I got the strong sense that it was an account put together to hide something, and that dimes to dollars was a fictitious caching run.

The name seems clearly to have been picked to annoy people. But you're right, that's no reason to ban it.

Barack Hussein Obama

I never said that, I only asked what your issue was with the name.

Edited by salmondan

Would it not sit well with you if you saw someone using James Earl Carter? George Walker Bush?

I have a feeling that using a president's name will bother people more if the president is or was controversial. Out current president is a very effective at stirring up controversy.

You can't go anywhere with out politics, so here I go, I voted for Obama and if it effects you because somebody is using his name as their geocache ID then I hope it eats you alive.

Nobody would use George W. Bush for an ID because they wouldn't want people thinking they were as dumb as bush, you call Obama controversial, now that is the pot calling the kettle black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, we are a pretty close knit caching community. Many people in Oregon socialize amongst the caching clubs. Looking at my cell phone, half of the numbers are geocachers- by their geocaching name. Your handle becomes part of your identity.

That named looked clearly like it was picked to stir up controversy. For that reason it/the cacher caught my eye, and I looked at their profile closer. And saw what y'all did- someone who had set up an account at one point and just the other day *did* one caching run downtown. Something didn't fit. (I don't care much for sock puppet accounts, that sort of anonymity usually goes with stirring up trouble- visiting a cache and logging out coins, logging in caches that weren't visited, setting up a cache with something about it to make a point- location, title, whatever)

And then I got to thinking about picking names and the geocaching policy. And if there was one. I don't see one on the site, I sent them an email to ask but haven't gotten a response yet, and so I opened up this discussion.

Can I use obscenities? Names that are clear defamation of others race, religion or creed? Can someone use my legal name as their caching name? I would hope the answer is no to all of those questions, but I'm suspecting that the policy has not been defined and each would be judged separately.

Would it not sit well with you if you saw someone using James Earl Carter? George Walker Bush?

I have a feeling that using a president's name will bother people more if the president is or was controversial. Out current president is a very effective at stirring up controversy.

You can't go anywhere with out politics, so here I go, I voted for Obama and if it effects you because somebody is using his name as their geocache ID then I hope it eats you alive.

Nobody would use George W. Bush for an ID because they wouldn't want people thinking they were as dumb as bush, you call Obama controversial, now that is the pot calling the kettle black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you addressing the quoted or the original post?

I'm still not seeing the problem with the name. "picked to stir up controversy"....how?

I'm still not seeing the problem with the name. "picked to stir up controversy"....how?

The problem is that he used the Obamas middle name (Hussein). Supporters of the Obama tend to strip the middle name out when identifying him by name. Opponents like to include and emphasize his middle name.

The problem is that he used the Obamas middle name (Hussein). Supporters of the Obama tend to strip the middle name out when identifying him by name. Opponents like to include and emphasize his middle name.

I kind of guessed that. But it could also be that the OP doesn't like Obama. It's not particularly emphasized in the name, after all.

Frankly, I think the whole Hussein thing is silly. It's silly that people bring it up, and it's silly that people get offended when it's brought up. Treat the cacher like any other fake-logging sock puppet -- delete the logs and then ignore him. The name isn't even close to warranting action by Groundspeak, in my opinion.

Barack Hussein Obama

Amen to that Mushtang.

Other than using his name, at least the cacher is not using his photo (avatar) and that's a real plus. It seems like News Week and other "in-the-bag" journals do it enough. I have no problem using a household word(s) for a geocaching name. :)

K- enough. You are reading too much into this. It's the clear intent to make a sock puppet account that got my goat the most. It's transitory.

If you looked at my profile tag you would see that you might be a bit off on the political leanings.

]

I kind of guessed that. But it could also be that the OP doesn't like Obama. It's not particularly emphasized in the name, after all.

Frankly, I think the whole Hussein thing is silly. It's silly that people bring it up, and it's silly that people get offended when it's brought up. Treat the cacher like any other fake-logging sock puppet -- delete the logs and then ignore him. The name isn't even close to warranting action by Groundspeak, in my opinion.

Get a life.. just because GWB has communication difficiencies doesn't mean he is dumb. So get over yourself. I always get a kick out of the (hard core) left as they claim they're the most inclusive and enlightened people in the world when in reality, they're the most hate filled people I've ever met.

Back on topic, I did not vote for BO, I don't support any of his positions, but yet I could care less if anyone had a geocaching handle named after him, or any other preseident for that matter.

K- enough. You are reading too much into this. It's the clear intent to make a sock puppet account that got my goat the most. It's transitory.

If you looked at my profile tag you would see that you might be a bit off on the political leanings.

]

I am not even sure why a sock puppet account (if it really is one) bothers you. In my opinion, there are a number of legitimate reasons for sock puppet accounts. Well, and bad reasons to. But bottom line is, who cares.. not me. And I would imagine that Jimmy The Butcher would share the EXACT same position that I do. And his opinion is the only one that matters.

Why don't you guys take your political junk to off topic?

No one cares who you voted for or how you think the winners are doing.

I agree that politics should never be brought up. But I HIGHLY doubt that no one cares.

Really? I bet that no one who reads this cares what my opinion is on how the winners of any election are doing. Lots of people care about their own opinions and get warm fuzzies whan others agree with them, but no one cares about the opinions of others in this area. (Anyone who does care or wants to debate politics can easily do so in off-topic.)

]

On the contrary, I deliberately read nothing into it. I made no statement about your political beliefs except to say that I don't know what they are. I still don't know why you found the username offensive. I generally don't dig through people's profiles for dirt, but since you invited me, I looked, and I still don't know your political views, nor does it matter to me.

You titled the thread "Questionable Name" and asked several questions about Groundspeak's standards for user names. I think you can see where I got the idea you had a problem with the name and not just the account.

Why don't you guys take your political junk to off topic?

No one cares who you voted for or how you think the winners are doing.

I agree that politics should never be brought up. But I HIGHLY doubt that no one cares.

Really? I bet that no one who reads this cares what my opinion is on how the winners of any election are doing. Lots of people care about their own opinions and get warm fuzzies whan others agree with them, but no one cares about the opinions of others in this area. (Anyone who does care or wants to debate politics can easily do so in off-topic.)

You're right, no one cares about your position. <_< But I was referring in generalities. People do care, that's why they are so passionate as to cause angst and anxiety when it gets "debated". Yes, I quote that word because things are rarely debated.. usually just a volley of attacks.

Ya he is so dumb.... he has health insurance for life and all the money he would ever want - but he sure is dumb! Your words show who is what - yes sir.

Ya he is so dumb.... he has health insurance for life and all the money he would ever want - but he sure is dumb! Your words show who is what - yes sir.

Like I always tell my leftwingnut friends and family.. Yes, Daddy may have gotten him into Yale. But he still had to do the work and graduate on his own.

On topic.. Is "Jimmy the Butcher" an insensitive or questionable name? I don't care if it offends people... I'd be delighted to know that it did.

Barack Hussein Obama

You never know what is going to happen! Holy crap I'm going to have to agree with Mushtang!

Barack Hussein Obama

You never know what is going to happen! Holy crap I'm going to have to agree with Mushtang!

I happen to strongly disagree with you all. I think he's the best thing to happen to this country since it was founded. I am very proud to have Obama as President. But all this is really off topic and should be moved there. This forum is called "Geocaching Topics", not "Political Opinions"

Lets see. I post a reply that merely points out that controversial presidents names may cause more of a reaction than than the names of more bland presidents. Based on that, you assume that Obama's name somehow effects me and that I identify with GWB.

Read a little more closely. I stated no opinion on the whether Obama's name should be used. I also never indicated that the use of the name had any effect on me. At no point in my short post did I either support or criticize GWB. But you somehow felt the need to shoot off a reply that contains some accusations based on your faulty assumptions.

I did however state in a very plan manner that Obama is controversial. You seem to have a problem with that. Read the papers, watch the news, listen to the radio. Obama is trying to institute sweeping changes in our government and our country. That will alway cause controversey.

I'd be willing to bet that it isn't the users real name. That it is some left wing extremist nut or their kid. And that there are probably just as many right wing extremist nuts around as there are lefties. Screw the politics, let's geocache!

By the way, if you have not figured it out GOF1 isn't my real name.

I'd be willing to bet that it isn't the users real name. That it is some left wing extremist nut or their kid. And that there are probably just as many right wing extremist nuts around as there are lefties. Screw the politics, let's geocache!

Probably?!? <_<

The President didn't have any trouble using his middle name when he visited the Middle East. Also, this whole thing about Bush being dumb; its just another diversionary tactic of the liberals to use personal attacks when they cannot win their arguments logically. Stick to the issues guys and stop the personal attacks! <_< One last thing. This is a proper thread, however it should be in the Off Topic Forum.

The President didn't have any trouble using his middle name when he visited the Middle East. Also, this whole thing about Bush being dumb; its just another diversionary tactic of the liberals to use personal attacks when they cannot win their arguments logically. Stick to the issues guys and stop the personal attacks! ;) One last thing. This is a proper thread, however it should be in the Off Topic Forum.

Nawww... Bush was really truely an idiot, from the standpoint of being the President of the United States. He would have made an outstanding manager of my local Wal-Mart, though. Even the naysayers have to admit that Obama is, at the very least, his own man, and not a puppet. Speaking of puppets... sock puppets can press the keyboard by using their press corps, same way Bush did it. <ducking flames and other flying debris> ;)

Still waiting for this to be moved to OT <_<

The President didn't have any trouble using his middle name when he visited the Middle East. Also, this whole thing about Bush being dumb; its just another diversionary tactic of the liberals to use personal attacks when they cannot win their arguments logically. Stick to the issues guys and stop the personal attacks! <_< One last thing. This is a proper thread, however it should be in the Off Topic Forum.

Agreed on the let's keep personal attacks out of it, lets stick to the issues ;)

I think that the direction in which this topic has evolved probably warrants either the deletion of a bunch of posts or the suggested movement. The thread is appropriate here if people would discuss naming convention and policies for accounts; the political commentary doesn't really have a place in the geocaching topics forum. So if it's moved, great... if posts with political commentary are deleted then please take mine as well ;)

Since it's gone in a direction (as lots of threads do) I'd like to point out that the President also didn't have any trouble using his middle name (the verbal tangled feet with Justice Roberts notwithstanding) when he was inaugurated either. The use was not just in the middle east. It seems that there is so much focus given to this name issue when the real question should be whatever the guy's name is, is he acting in a positive, responsible, thoughtful manner that is right for the country. That question certainly has no place here but should be discussed over there in OT in Kit Fox's topic!

Just my $0.02 (or less!)

Even the naysayers have to admit that Obama is, at the very least, his own man, and not a puppet.

<soapbox>

You, sir, are wrong. Mr. Obama has been manipulated and prepped and molded since the day he set foot in Chicago. You might even say he was bred for this exact moment in history. His masters are old school, going all the way back to the '60s. They are established and deeply rooted in community organization (Saul Alinsky, the SDS, William Ayers, ACORN, etc.). You can't honestly say that you've done a single bit of investigation of your own into Obama's life and still, with a straight face, tell us that he is "his own man."

However, I will not disagree with you that Bush was an idiot. In 8 years, he led this country to the worst position it has been in since it was founded (until Obama ruined it almost beyond repair in his first 4 months).

So, to which party do I belong? I belong to the party who believes that the individual should be in charge of their own liberty, rather than having an all-powerful government handing down un-Constitutional dictates. I belong to the Libertarian Party.

I did a lot of soul-searching after the first Bush Bailout and realized that neither of the "big two" really gives a dadgum about the American people. They are all about grabbing more power and more money from us and handing it over to their buddies (whether it be big corporations by the Republicans, or socialist "community organizers" by the Democrats). I thought all third parties were just nut-jobs, like the Green Party or the Constitution Party. It turns out that there is one (the third largest party in the U.S.) who actually still believes in what this country was founded on....FREEDOM!!

I suggest anyone who has had doubts about the party of big government, or the party of bigger government go check out the Libertarian Party.

</soapbox>

No sir. Your opinion differs. That does not make me wrong. It may just as well make you wrong.

Aren't all accounts here sock puppets - in one fashion or another? If you don't use your real name and picture, it's a 'sock' covering the real you.

Still haven't seen what the issue is with the name.

Is it because it's not the person's real name? Can't be that because most people don't use their real name.

Is it because it's another real person's name? Don't really see the issue. What's wrong with my cacher name being Matt Lauer or Hannah Montana? As long as it doesn't use profanity (or something that's non-family friendly), what's the issue?

Is it because it's the current president and thus disrespectful of the office? Perhaps.