geocaching bureaucracy - takes out all the fun of caching

wailhoas

Well, I thought I'd post my caches on geocaching.com as well after publishing them on the German opencaching site to get more hits and more people looking for my caches.

All 4 of them are some sort of Multicaches with only "Questions to answer" stations. Ok, I put it all in and was waiting for publishing.

At first, the "geopolice" asks me to put in all stations with their location as stations of a multicache. I did that, and edited the attributes etc etc.

Then, they ask me to not edit the waypoints as stages of a multicache but as qu/ to anwer stations, or remove the waypoints again.

All in all I spent more time putting in those d*** waypoints and satisfying the beurocracy hungry geopolice then it took me to set and write the cache. What for? There's no need to know any of the stages with their exact location for the watchdogs of geocaching.com.

I dont think I'll be back here often - takes out all the fun of geocaching!!!

They are reviewers, not "geopolice" and their job is to ensure that each cache complies with a reasonable set of guidelines. People have listed nearly a million caches here without a problem or complaint.

Only you can take the fun out of geocaching. It's all about your attitude and how you respond to simple requests that the overwhelming majority of geocachers comply with without complaint.

Edited by briansnat

People have listed nearly a million caches here without a problem or complaint.

....It's all about your attitude and how you respond to simple requests that the overwhelming majority of geocachers comply with without complaint.

Huh? What game are you playing that has not had a problem or complaint?

What is truely amazing is how few complaints there are. The reviewers have a tough time and need enough information about your cache to make a decision on posting it. The more complex or unusual the cache is, the more information they will need. The easiest answer can be to post a detailed note to the reviewers when you create you cache listing. It's a little more work up front that can save time later, although the cache may still be disapproved if it does not meet placement guidelines.

They are reviewers, not "geopolice" and their job is to ensure that each cache complies with a reasonable set of guidelines. People have listed nearly a million caches here without a problem or complaint.

They call themselves "Geopolizei" which means geopolice in English.

They are trying to enforce the guidelines of the site and they need that addtional information to do so. Just that simple. They are cachers just like yourself - doing a job with no pay.

Rightly stated by StarBrand. If you have a multi, then every stage must be in compliance with the guidelines. Around my area this would mostly have to do with declared wilderness areas, national memorial property and private property. So if you place a multi in the National Forest you must not place any of your stages or the final in these off limit areas. I have a puzzle-multi cache called The Force that is placed near the Mt.Rushmore area. It is however not on Memorial property and all the stages follow a trail close to the memorial boundary. I was very careful in placement and did not have a problem listing all of my waypoints. Not really a big deal if you stop and think about it.

Well, I thought I'd post my caches on geocaching.com as well after publishing them on the German opencaching site to get more hits and more people looking for my caches.

All 4 of them are some sort of Multicaches with only "Questions to answer" stations. Ok, I put it all in and was waiting for publishing.

At first, the "geopolice" asks me to put in all stations with their location as stations of a multicache. I did that, and edited the attributes etc etc.

Then, they ask me to not edit the waypoints as stages of a multicache but as qu/ to anwer stations, or remove the waypoints again.

All in all I spent more time putting in those d*** waypoints and satisfying the beurocracy hungry geopolice then it took me to set and write the cache. What for? There's no need to know any of the stages with their exact location for the watchdogs of geocaching.com.

So resorting to petty name calling helps your cause? Since you seem to be a geo-expert, perhaps you'll ignore this.

The difference between "stages" of a multi-cache are important to differentiate. If physical containers are used, the .1 mile proximity rule is applied, and no other physical caches can be placed within .1 mile.

If the stages are nothing more than a geocacher looking at a permanent sign, to answer a question, then the proximity rules aren't applied.

Before you get your underwear all twisted up, be sure to educate yourself on the guidelines. You know the guidelines that you checked that said you read and agree to follow the guidelines. :laughing:

So list someplace else.

Dittos

Geopolizei is the nick name of your reviewer. It is not they, but a he or a she.

Reviewers are just seeing to that the cache conforms to the guidelines as stated by Groundspeak.

As for the stages of a multi it is now a days requested that you include those as additional waypoints, even the final location. All this to simplify your reviewer's work.

The final stage is of course set to hidden by you. Then only you and the reviewer can see that waypoint.

The other waypoins can have one of several attributes.

If it is stage of a multi one expect to find another container there with information to the next stage. It also blocks any future caches from being placed closer than about 162 meters to that spot.

If the stage is given the attribute question to answer, the waypoint does not block anything.

In addition there is also the benefit for other cachers in the way that they can have the waypoints downloaded directly to their GPS'r avoiding typos.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy.

since the OP said he was coming from another cache listing site, to list here, he obviously forgot something important:

The requirements to list a cache on gc.com may NOT be the same as other listing sites.

It's really that simple. It is short-sighted to assume that your complex cache will be legal on another site. It's all in the requirements and guidelines that each site enforces.

Geopolizei is the nick name of your reviewer. It is not they, but a he or a she.

Reviewers are just seeing to that the cache conforms to the guidelines as stated by Groundspeak.

As for the stages of a multi it is now a days requested that you include those as additional waypoints, even the final location. All this to simplify your reviewer's work.

The final stage is of course set to hidden by you. Then only you and the reviewer can see that waypoint.

The other waypoins can have one of several attributes.

If it is stage of a multi one expect to find another container there with information to the next stage. It also blocks any future caches from being placed closer than about 162 meters to that spot.

If the stage is given the attribute question to answer, the waypoint does not block anything.

In addition there is also the benefit for other cachers in the way that they can have the waypoints downloaded directly to their GPS'r avoiding typos.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy.

Very nice. I think you answered the question.

Man, you posting on here is like complaining to the police about the police. you might as well forget about it.
Pssttt.... you dug up a thread that was posted in February of 2009 from a member that has not been on the site since June, and has a total of 3 finds, the last of which was found in 2008. He also has a grand total of 3 forum posts. Somehow I think that he isn't gonna hear you.
Man, you posting on here is like complaining to the police about the police. you might as well forget about it.
Pssttt.... you dug up a thread that was posted in February of 2009 from a member that has not been on the site since June, and has a total of 3 finds, the last of which was found in 2008. He also has a grand total of 3 forum posts. Somehow I think that he isn't gonna hear you.

Hey, at least he's one of the 7 people in the forums who uses "Search" :)

I have to wonder what search term he used though. "geopolice" or "bureaucracy"?

All I care about is an explanation of that sig line...

I somewhat agree.

So you placed caches and decided to list them on geocaching.com.

You attempted to have them published after clicking on a statement that you read, understood, and agreed to the listing guidelines for this site.

The reviewer asked you to clarify your listing because it didn't meet the specifications for listing here.

So you complain about bureaucracy taking the fun out of caching.

I can understand.

I rarely have fun when I shoot myself in the foot.

Your complaint is misplaced. Look in the mirror.

Only you can take the fun out of geocaching. It's all about your attitude and how you respond to simple requests that the overwhelming majority of geocachers comply with without complaint.

"People have listed nearly a million caches here without a problem or complaint."

And you know this exactly how?

titsandbacon666

Tadpole

Group: Members

Nice.

I don't see you asking them how they pronounce their name. :)

I wonder if they have ever cached in Minnesoda.

Great question! I don't know, but I do know that its a shame they aren't Premium Members so they could join our I Love Bacon thread!! They might even get another "I Love..." thread started!
titsandbacon666

Tadpole

Group: Members

Nice.

And from you neckbone of the country too! :)

And now the source of the angst becomes very clear:

Bangor Cave Cache GC2BGXC

- Cache published on 7/11 (I was in the area on that day and saw the notification. Luckily, it wasn't in my loaded PQ...)

- Two local cachers mention in the logs that the cave is private property.

- CO admits that he never got permission. Starts a thread on these forums.

- Archives this cache and his other cache on the same day 7/14.