The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

So, two years ago we did a group walk which included "Not for the faint hearted" and "Carol's Ledge". Then a year ago we did a mega walk along "Traverse Reverse", the "Kloof Corner" caches and "Frodo's Journey". A Discombob extravaganza.

So now Discombob is coming. What are we going to do?

Take him on Silverstream and Ledges? Hidding and Ascention, or maybe up Myburgs's and then to the B grade up Grootkop (maybe see if we can find the caves).

Let's do a group toughie with D'Bob.

What do you think D'Bob?

Fit enough?

I know Gr8Scot is!

Edited by CapeDoc

Good idea 'Doc. I have been promoting these two hikes ever since I did them.

Silverstream-Ledges is a lovely variation on the traditional ledges route. This one starts at Platteklip and then goes up Silverstream (a little to the left of Not For The Faint Hearted) and then a loooong traverse at about 850m contour all the way to Ledges (more or less above Newlands Ravine) with an exciting final pitch which is a bit hair raising (here we will incorporate capeccr and some rope for backup, although none of us needed the rope - we just used the rope to lift backpacks) before you pop out not too far from Maclears beacon.

Hiddingh-Ascension-Carrel's Ledge starts in Newlands Forest, up Hidding, across and up a gully with stunning views and then up Ascension to pop out at the start of Carrels Ledge. Lots of lovely views of the city.

It's a tough call to decide which to go for first. Silverstream-Ledges is a little fresher in my memory, but hopefully we will do both (not on the same day).

Another favourite of mine is Spring buttress on the other side of the mountain (from the pipe track)

All things considered I suggest Silverstream-Ledges as this is probably the route most of you have not experienced before

IMG_4160.jpg

Silverstream-Ledges

IMG_4141.JPG

Hiddingh-Ascension_Carrel's Ledge

IMG_0018.JPG

Cism on Spring Buttress

What do you think D'Bob?

Fit enough?

I know Gr8Scott is!

Ok, so I suppose I have no choice then. I'm in, and have no date problems in March that I'm aware of. I was also considering organising a nICE Event 2 for March, so perhaps we can make that while D'Bob is here and some of the others that can't make the walk could get to meet him there. Can we call on CnC for another Pub Quiz and I'll organise the same venue?

BTW - While walking back from the cache to the 10 year event with BruceTP, I offered to collate orders from Cape Town cachers for those stunning name tags that he gets made up. He said that if we can get 30 names together, that would be the most efficient. He'll then have them made and I'll get them couriered to me and then use our deliverymen to drop them off around Cape Town. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Please count me out for the walk - but in for the name tag!!

What do you think D'Bob?

Fit enough?

I know Gr8Scott is!

Ok, so I suppose I have no choice then. I'm in, and have no date problems in March that I'm aware of. I was also considering organising a nICE Event 2 for March, so perhaps we can make that while D'Bob is here and some of the others that can't make the walk could get to meet him there. Can we call on CnC for another Pub Quiz and I'll organise the same venue?

BTW - While walking back from the cache to the 10 year event with BruceTP, I offered to collate orders from Cape Town cachers for those stunning name tags that he gets made up. He said that if we can get 30 names together, that would be the most efficient. He'll then have them made and I'll get them couriered to me and then use our deliverymen to drop them off around Cape Town. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

An established cacher with a new profile...

Yip, it was bound to happen eventually, as the next generation of cachers grow up. Most of you know my son from various events, or on the trail, but now he is no longer "the other half" of MnCo and has started logging his own finds under the name "eagleise".

Of course we have done a lot of road trips and hikes together and he would now like to retroactively log the caches which we have done together. But before he does, I wanted to do this post so that most of the cachers concerned would know who this "new" cacher is that just started posting logs with old dates and don't think something underhanded is going on.

Based on previous discussions along these lines, I'm assuming the general community will not have an issue with this under these circumstances, but if there is anyone that would prefer that he not log their caches without revisiting them, then please let me know.

We are leaving for Kruger in two weeks - only get back at the end of Feb. Don't know if we'll have the time to set a quiz for early March.

Have some quiz question sheets but still need to sort out a few more sheets, do a 'spot the intro' which will be time consuming, logo quiz and then sort the printing of many, many pages.

An established cacher with a new profile...

I look forward to a younger minds perspective and memories of my caches. (Not too brief, I hope!)

Couldn't agree more! I feel that any team member who wishes to start logging on their own should be able to log retroactively. Provided that they were actually present when the log was originally signed of course. :)

hey I have always wanted to do ledges, so that sounds great! Is there a cache currently on that route? If not there should be :lol:

Capedoc, sadly after living the flat London life, I am not fit enough anymore though :o

Although I just returned from a weeks skiing, which hopefully helped to fitten me up - bloody exhausting!

Hmm, I was thinking of sundowners on the beach for the event, but could maybe set up a pub quiz if folks are keen.

I'm also keen to try find The Darkness Beckons, if anyone still wants to find that one!

I'm gravitating towards a Silverstream-Ledges expedition but I need capeccr for moral backup (I make a lot of noise but he provides technical backup). Listing events is not my thing, so i will leave that to others. I'm thinking the weekend of the Argus has quite a nice ring to it (I mean - only 40000 people are riding bicycles, so what is the rest of Cape Town doing? - maybe we have the mountain to ourselves. Or we can do the hike beforehand and the event later...

I find it sad that we are going to lose a third of all virtual caches surviving in South Africa when Metro Nomad archives his three Cape virtual caches. Once they are gone, they are gone and we can never recover them. We can't even replace them with others because under the current rules you cannot place a new virtual cache. :(:(:(

When you consider that all three were placed in 2003 and have accumulated a wealth of logs and history along with them, it would be a real shame to lose

all that. :blink:

Is there nobody in the Cape who is prepared to adopt these caches and preserve them for posterity seeing that Metro Nomad is unable to maintain them? :sad:

Sadly, mr panda is correct. See here, also quoted below:

3.3. Adopting or Transferring a Cache

Grandfathered cache types cannot be transferred to a new owner. Neither the adoption tool on the website nor Groundspeak will be able to make the transfer for Virtual, Webcam or Locationless caches. Archived caches cannot be transferred, either.

I find it sad that we are going to lose a third of all virtual caches surviving in South Africa when Metro Nomad archives his three Cape virtual caches. Once they are gone, they are gone and we can never recover them. We can't even replace them with others because under the current rules you cannot place a new virtual cache. :(:(:(

When you consider that all three were placed in 2003 and have accumulated a wealth of logs and history along with them, it would be a real shame to lose

all that. :blink:

Is there nobody in the Cape who is prepared to adopt these caches and preserve them for posterity seeing that Metro Nomad is unable to maintain them? :sad:

I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure virtual caches cannot be adopted either. I would have loved to have kept the cool CDSM monument virtual at the waterfront, but I'm pretty sure it could not be adopted. I'd be willing, but I don't think it is possible.

While this may be true, all is not lost. It seems that if you badger the powers that be for long enough, and use the power of your vote, then wishes can come true.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1050805-bring-back-virtuals?ref=title

While this may be true, all is not lost. It seems that if you badger the powers that be for long enough, and use the power of your vote, then wishes can come true.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1050805-bring-back-virtuals?ref=title

Thanks for that. I went and added my 2c worth as well as a vote on that forum. :rolleyes:

Ditto this - we have lost some really good ones through not being able to be adopted!

Thanks for that. I went and added my 2c worth as well as a vote on that forum. :rolleyes:

Ditto this - we have lost some really good ones through not being able to be adopted!

The caches aren't archived yet, only disabled. I have sent him a message to ask him to reconsider...

The caches aren't archived yet, only disabled. I have sent him a message to ask him to reconsider...

The fact that they are only disabled means there could be a glimmer of hope. Had they been archived it would have been irrevocable. Let us prevent that happening and redeem the situation.

We were really dumbstruck when we discovered that the three wonderful Virtual caches in the Cape had been disabled. We did not realise this was already being discussed on the Forum and sent Metro Nomad a message of distress, begging and pleading him/her to reconsider enabling the caches again. We enjoyed doing these Virtuals two years ago and learnt from them. Keep these caches going for the future geocaching community - both local and international. These old caches are part of our geocaching history and like any historical item, should be saved. We have looked at the thread about the possibility of bringing back Virtual caches - that would be awesome. Please Fynbos Finders, do whatever you can to save these Virtuals!

sad news Capedoc :(

Well, I have a few caches I would like to do, which might go down better with help/company, so if any one is wanting to do any of these caches, that would be great. Won't have too many weekend days free, so if you are free in the week, all the better:

The darkness beckons

orpheus in the underworld

earth wind fire water

tartarus

chilean mine rescue

pristine

The series of caches from eagles nest, heading up to defending the caveman, errols cave etc

Van hunks cigar lounge - been on my list for waaaayy too long!

The Cape "Mountain Goats" are planning to visit Joshua Penny's cave on Sunday 27th. Meeting at Theresa Ave, Rontree at 07h00 (to make the most of the morning shade).

We will have a guide with us, who has been there before. There will be some bundu bashing, and scrambling involved.

For anyone not familiar with the story of Joshua Penny, check out Henzz's cache of the same name (GC2NWMA).

Edited by capeccr

Re. The 'Cape Mountain Goats' hike to Joshua Penny Cave & Henzz's recent Joshua Penny cache, the correct cache code is GC2NWMA. Sounds like a fine hike - have a great time! Unfortunately I will not be able to join it as we will be hiking up Orange Kloof as part of MnCo's event cache that day (GC2JYRA)

Re. The 'Cape Mountain Goats' hike to Joshua Penny Cave & Henzz's recent Joshua Penny cache, the correct cache code is GC2NWMA. Sounds like a fine hike - have a great time! Unfortunately I will not be able to join it as we will be hiking up Orange Kloof as part of MnCo's event cache that day (GC2JYRA)

Thanks - a touch of Dyslexia there.

The Cape "Mountain Goats" are planning to visit Joshua Penny's cave on Sunday 27th. Meeting at Theresa Ave, Rontree at 07h00 (to make the most of the morning shade).

We will have a guide with us, who has been there before. There will be some bundu bashing, and scrambling involved.

For anyone not familiar with the story of Joshua Penny, check out Henzz's cache of the same name (GC2MWNA).

I'm rather glad this will be an early morning hike, as I have to be at work that afternoon.

I will definitely be joining you guys..

I would love to see the residence of Mr Penny..

And maybe get a feel of the kind of terrain that he had to face during his escape up the mountain..

Pennys Cave was a wonderful adventure. A long hike (my brother got very tired by the time we descended Blinkwater ravine, so we took even longer, but at best it is a 6hr+ hike). After an initial slog to get to the rock bands, there was exciting scrambling up Cairn Ravine then traversing out of Cairn on steep bushy ledges around two butresses, more descending and slip sliding on hairy slopes to get to the Cave. Out of the cave on the right, up a steep bushy slope to a next level and then an exciting traverse on a ledge just below Traverse...Reverse cache and ending with a descent down Blinkwater. Lots of new territory. Very relieved that our guide knew his stuff.

Pennys Cave was a wonderful adventure.

Saw the picture of the cave on the new cache page and the Cape Odyssey and it seems a lot lower down the berg than what is shown on Slingsby's map of Table Mountain. He shows it closer to the old pumphouse in Fountain Ravine. Any comments by the experts? Could he have liven in the cave if it was so difficult to get to?